Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Boox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
OK guys it's time to ask, Does anyone have a @@HP Barrel they can part with? I tried everything I can think of, short of the electrolis process to clean my @@HP barrel. Wipe out, Barnes CR 10, Bore tech products and a couple of others and while the barrel is some cleaner, It just ain't right. A.224 bullet will fall right through, a .228 bullet needs to be tapped through, but when shooting it keyholes at 25 yards., So Im thinking of rebarreling it, or just replacing it. It's about a 1915 vintage, interrupted threads.
i would also listen to other rebarrel options, don't know which option would be cheaper, but i know now I gave too much for the gun and the seller (LGS) knows of the problems ans as such I'd take a hell of a loss trading it. Any other ideas welcome, except using it for a tomato stake.

"we have met the enemy and it is us," said Pogo
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I might send the barrel to another member and see how their gun shot with that tube on it. Just to make sure it's the barrel. Will you be making the Fest in May? That would be a good place to test some other loads? Is it possible you got it too clean.My HP and 250 throw flyers the first 1-2 shots after I clean the barrel. Never a key hole though. I seldom do more than run a few patches through them now. I read the other thread about this HP, but forgot most of the details. My HP shoots the Norma's well. We just tried some Hornady's that are a bit longer, and to my surprise they shot to the same point of aim at 50. Don't know what they did after that. Good luck, I always like to keep the original barrel on the gun.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Another thought, if you just have to keep the barrel with the rest of the rifle, would be to have someone reline the barrel to .224 in an appropriate twist. I would begin such an odyssey with a serious search for a gunsmith who has a .22 HP chamber reamer, tho. A rare bird if there is one....

If you can stand altering the rifle permanently, have it rebored for .25-35 WCF. (You always wanted one of those, didn't you?).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dang Mike, that would make a nice switch barrel, 22HP and 25-35, I like the sound of that already.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one I acquired from Fireball that I might part with. I have an 1915 HP22 key holing too. Discovered the bullets I was shooting are .224 not .228. Got some .228's from Reeds, just got to load them up and try them. If it turns out that was the problem, I'd be willing to part with it to another 24 member for what I paid. If you're willing to wait I'll let you know. It is circa 1915, interrupted threads. The rifling looks clean, the barrel is a tad grey with some scuffs.

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
IC B2

B
Boox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've been thru a box of the hornady 228, and som .227 from somwhere gnoaah I think it was recconmmended all keyhole. Mesa and Joe, already tried one source for a 25-35, It was Valley gun service, thought it was a good idea as those are thr cases i use, but he couldn't do it. any suggestions.
As a side note, i just today tapped a 315 lead ball thru the barrel and it miked ar .230. And the barrel is still rough. No Joe the barrel ain't too clean. looks rough but as it's a 22, I can't even find a bore scope worth a darn, and i can't get a clear picture of it. I've been a year off and on with this thing, even tyo steel wool and chore boy copper. It's rough and as i said in a previous post a 315 lead ball pushed through measured .230 and no rifling grooves were evident.

Last edited by Boox; 03/18/20.

B
Boox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
with inspection privileges, I'd be interested Blitz and I'd pay the freight both ways if necessary

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Problem with the Hornady is that it's long for length for the twist of the original Savage 1899's in 22HP. It works in many, but Hornady has warned it's not ideal for Savage lever actions. You may have a slightly slower twist than normal, making the Hornady's suck.

Just as a trial.. might file some of the point off those Hornady's to make them shorter, and try that. It's total length that counts, snip the nose down and might help.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like it was shot a lot "back in the day" with corrosively primed ammo, and not cleaned properly or at all. Were it me I would seek another barrel too- even if this one stopped keyholing I bet it would still yield shotgun patterns for groups.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Someone here has 219 Zipper improved (.224 groove) reamer, and the skills to make you a brand new (albeit non-original) barrel to fit your action. He will chime in eventually. It's not like you are trying to make factory ammo work anyway, so why not go for a guaranteed shooter.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sounds like it was shot a lot "back in the day" with corrosively primed ammo, and not cleaned properly or at all. Were it me I would seek another barrel too- even if this one stopped keyholing I bet it would still yield shotgun patterns for groups.

Probably. But if he has all the makings to shoot a few shots with a shortened bullet before he heads off into $$ spent on new barrels or rebores, might be worth the time since it only costs a few bullets, powder and primer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Probably. But if he has all the makings to shoot a few shots with a shortened bullet before he heads off into $$ spent on new barrels or rebores, might be worth the time since it only costs a few bullets, powder and primer.

May be, but his statement about the lead slug mic'ing at .230 with no signs of rifling present was what triggered my statement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun

May be, but his statement about the lead slug mic'ing at .230 with no signs of rifling present was what triggered my statement.

New round... 22HP shotshell? grin

Could be fun.

You're probably right.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's gotta be somebody out there who could ream/rifle a .22HP barrel to .25 caliber to create a .25-35.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Boox
I've been thru a box of the hornady 228, and som .227 from somwhere gnoaah I think it was recconmmended all keyhole. Mesa and Joe, already tried one source for a 25-35, It was Valley gun service, thought it was a good idea as those are thr cases i use, but he couldn't do it. any suggestions.
As a side note, i just today tapped a 315 lead ball thru the barrel and it miked ar .230. And the barrel is still rough. No Joe the barrel ain't too clean. looks rough but as it's a 22, I can't even find a bore scope worth a darn, and i can't get a clear picture of it. I've been a year off and on with this thing, even tyo steel wool and chore boy copper. It's rough and as i said in a previous post a 315 lead ball pushed through measured .230 and no rifling grooves were evident.

I just went back in my messages, that was me that sent you 5-10 of the Norma's. If they key hole I don't know what to do. If you slugged it to 230, I guess it's toast. I'm with Gary, there has to be some one who can ream that sucker out. If JES can bore a .30 to .35. It just might be hard to find. Now I have a challenge while my back unstiffens.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Check this out, just 2 years ago. They found someone that would bore a 22-250 out to 25 AI. Looked like $350

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...12871473/rebore-a-22-250-to-a-250-savage

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a mint 24", 22HP replacement barrel from the 60's. But, I just can't let it go. I have too much fun showing people a Westfield address, and 22HP, stamped on the same barrel. I also have not been able to get a ROT on it. If by chance they put a fast twist on it, it maybe the best shootin HP extent.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blitz
I have one I acquired from Fireball that I might part with. I have an 1915 HP22 key holing too. Discovered the bullets I was shooting are .224 not .228. Got some .228's from Reeds, just got to load them up and try them. If it turns out that was the problem, I'd be willing to part with it to another 24 member for what I paid. If you're willing to wait I'll let you know. It is circa 1915, interrupted threads. The rifling looks clean, the barrel is a tad grey with some scuffs.

Dang, all that and you just needed bigger boolits?!

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Won't know if that is it till I get them loaded up and fired.

Hey, I'm a newbie to all this and the learning curve is steep! I need to invest in mountain climbing gear to keep up with you guys!

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
B
Boox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Calhoun...i've tried that, even bought one of Gary's devices for shortening the hornadys, filed off the bottom, and also tried trimming off the top....no differencei've tried to post a picture but it doesn't seem to be working...can someone help?
calhoun if i send you the picture will you post it?

Last edited by Boox; 03/20/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.