Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Probably repairing industrial smokestacks for a living.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Redneck
Me first - I actually (if anyone can believe this) RAN WITH SCISSORS once!!!! OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

But in reality - I used to fly Eipper Quicksilver MX Sprint ultralight aircraft... Flew 'em for years until about a year after my son was born and I was above the place at about 2K feet and the carb froze up.....hadda dead-stick it into the landing area in the yard... I had practiced dead-stick landings often so it was not a big deal, but I gave it up - thinking I probably should be around for my son... Sold it and the twin-seater I had at the time too.. Didn't wear a helmet THEN either..... Right on the EDGE!! laugh laugh

[url=https://postimg.cc/56NxyNK6][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url

Cessna 150 dual magneto failure on down wind leg. I was fourteen on my 10th or 11th solo. Got it on the ground coasted off of the runway in to the grass walk away never went back!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot sporting clays with Toby once, not nearly as dangerous for me, as it was for Toby!😂

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
OK, one day of my life a few years back. This is a chapter from "Roll of the Dice".

Chapter 16: Sport in the Rolling Hills

Like the old war melody says, "Down collective, pedal right, hope I am alive tonight...spin, crash and burn!"(to the tune of Bye Bye blackbird)........

I always had that thought whilst plying my trade as one of Nixon's Hired Guns. Always wondered who coined those lyrics too. Anyway, When I flew Scouts with the various Cav units across the minor length and breadth of S. Vietnam, we flew as hunter-killer teams, which is another misnomer because the Cobra Guns did the killing for the most part, I was just bait. Those sick bastids in their air conditioned Snakes would joke about reeling Scouts up every once in awhile to see if they'd had any nibbles...

I was out in the A Shau Valley one day, only a few klicks from Hamburger Hill(Dong Ap Bia) with a heavy pink team, doing a visual recon east of THE HILL, and south of Tiger Mountain, a flat top massif that always appeared ominous to me. I never flew over it once in 2.5 years. Boogie Men lived there! We flew out at altitude and once in the general area I made a brief look-see for obvious signs of the enemy, like flak, or formations doing close order drill, then hummed my opening line as I started descent in a typically erratic spiral. No, not a Death Spiral, an erratic spiral. Yes, they look alike, that's the idea. The Dead Man Zone for small arms fire against choppers lies between 100' and 1500' AGL, the less time spent there the better.

As the rolling hills rushed up I added power, rolled back to the left, and began ferreting out the small game. Low, slow, cock-eyed out of trim, three shades hotter than Hades, and the smell of green. It was my world. My crewman, a Spec. 4 serving as an armed observer sat beside me in the left seat, M16 laying across his lap, red smoke grenade in his hand that was to be tossed in the event we took fire. That was a highly likely prospect out in the Valley.

Over the river and thru the dale, to Uncle Ho's Hoards we flew! Up a hill, negative G push to keep the altitude down, transmission pressure light glowing red as it always did when the oil floated in the casing during those maneuvers. Turn left, turn right, up the hill! They were all covered with scattered scrubby trees and lots of elephant grass, which can reach 12' in height and is a wonderful world for hiding things from people like me. Things like 12.7mm guns for one. Whoops! there goes one out the right side, well, not a gun, but the pit they build for them with the little bunker on one side. Freshly dug I might add.

The little vermin are sneaky bastids, I give them that. They found out early on that a flight of two Cobras could pretty much tap dance all over one of their 12.7mm positions and never even worry about it. Soooo, they started grouping them in twos and threes. "Okay', sez I, 'Hey Mr. Guns, there's a .50 pit 5 o,clock and 100 meters or so, fresh.' In our way, we called that gathering intel back then. Problem was they never deployed just one in the A Shau Valley. They had stuff they were proud of, and liked to take pot shots at interlopers. So, if one was on 'Hill A", there was likely to be another on "Hill B". Usually within a couple of hundred meters, terrain permitting, and also at the same elevation. This tactic permits "Mutually supportive fire", and changes the equation greatly in regards to the Cobras. It takes 3 Snakes to deal with 2 guns. I had two Snakes.

Low stayed, slow was out the window. 80-100 knots(that's faster than a buzzard) now, down the hill, up the hill, and about 250 meters away there lies a freshly dug pit for another 12.7mm. Entrenching tool still laying on the bottom of the pit. Whoops again, call the lead Snake and babble about stock picks, real estate, and cat hunting for a few seconds while I think "Whoa" to my trusty steed and get it turned around for another quick pass back to Hill A. Much to my chagrin as I fly over Hill B, the entrenching tool is gone, and I reported that before telling them that there was now a tripod set up at Hill A and my stuff is getting decidedly weak. Yes, Cobras can duke it out with .50's, the LOH cannot, and .50's will chew a new anal orifice in a chopper...chop chop!

As I went over the position I broke left toward Tiger Mountain and the guns rolled in on Hill A. A tactically awkward situation for me as they were my cover and life line, yet the gun had to be hammered, pure and simple. I knew full well that Hill B probably was set up or very close to it, I was pinned between the Snake's GT line and the mountain, the only path out being over Hill B. Yuckee-poo. The good news was that I had a brand new, never been fired GE Mini-gun hangin' on the left side, and a full load of ammo. I was also below their line of sight for the moment. Any attempt to climb to altitude would have put me in their sights sure as sunrise and voided any advantage I held at the moment. To paraphrase the old Indian saying, 'It was a good day to wet your pants'. I had long since learned that the best defense is truly a good offense, and since I was in the Cav, and certifiably insane since I'd volunteered for this crap, I did the only thing I could do. Charge! I have a long history of being offensive.

Not only can choppers do what planes do, they can do more. And less. A lot of less. Their advantage is that you can literally drag your skids through the grass and even at a leisurely 120 knots you go by pretty quick to a ground based observation. We were almost up to that speed when Hill B reared up a couple of hundred feet above us, a saddle on either side that blocked earthbound view of low level ingress. I used one of those "little less" tricks, called a cyclic climb, or simply pulling back on the stick to trade speed for altitude. Zoom Zoom! The Mini-gun on the LOH was flexible in elevation only, azimuth controlled with the foot pedals, and in the circumstance I'd fully depressed it as I expected to be looking at them through the chin bubble when they came into view. Further, I planed to go negative over the top and hopefully keep the gun on target until nearly overhead at which point I woud dive once again for the safety of lower elevations. Up the hill! Time for one of those famous "time standing still" moments.

The gunner was waiting, his azimuth about 20* off to my left, the other varmint was crouched low with an ammo can at the ready. He fired as he began to swing the gun, and as I replied.

Couple of points on this: 1) The 12.7 has a cyclic rate of fire in the range of 500-700 rounds per minute, it also has a huge hour glass shaped muzzle flash, visible even on bright sunny days. One in five rounds is a tracer, and if anyone asks what they look like, just give 'em your best steely eyed stare and say "basketballs". Big round red basketballs. Every time one goes by you hear a deep sonic crack, then you get 4 more audibles before the next light show. It is REALLY impressive. Tracers don't seem to move really fast when they are heading right at you BTW. At least not until they go past, ZIP-CRACK! They do not go "whoosh" or "whiz" like in the movies. 2) Mini-guns in US Army versions, have a selective fire rate of 2000 or 4000 RPM. At that time they were noted for jamming often when fired at 2000rpm, so that mode was seldom used. Both rates had a 3 second burst limiter, meaning that you got to shoot for 3 seconds, then your water hose shut down. Again, 1 in 5 was a tracer, crackety-crack, I'm sure it looked impressive from the wrong end too, but I never saw that. Effective range was touted at 1100 meters, mostly because the splash of bullets was visible at that range.

Up close they churn the earth, creating a rooster tail effect of earth as the rounds sought their target, usually a serpentine path of mauled dirt, trees, whatever got in it's way. Inside of 100 yards it is impossible to shoot somebody less that 6 times with one that is on low rate fire. God, what a beast!

My first rounds impacted about 20 yards low and left, a bit of back pressure on the stick, a bit of right pedal, and the dirt dragon began it's journey to the pit. Range at this point was about 60 meters. It was the OK Corral. High Noon. I was Matt Dillon, they were the guys in black. And only because the sound of my chopper had distorted in the hills and they didn't know precisely where I was going to show up, my vomit of lead got to them about 1/2 second before theirs got to us. I was able to hold on target for most of the remaining 2 seconds of burst, flew on over them and down the hill as planned.

Though I seldom reconned a .50 position that had been engaged by Snakes, I knew for certain the condition of this one. I went back, did one u-turn overflight then ran back down the hill, built up speed and then climbed out to higher altitude. The gun was mangled almost beyond recognition, and that was enough for me. Enough was enough. Neither the Oscar or me could talk for about 5 minutes afterward, and when I finally told the team lead I got a bad case of the shakes. Back at the club that night I got a really bad headache with a 6 hour delay fuse. Best thing I know of to cure a hangover is adrenaline. Down collective, pedal right, hope I am alive tonight...

If you do a Google Earth view of the Valley it's kind of hinky and bears little resemblance of what it was then. The valley is settled, agriculture well developed and it is difficult to imagine the moonscape it once was. It is a better place today than then. Gone are the dragons and terror. Maybe the spirits remain.

Wow! The hair stood up on my arms! It was like I was there!

On a lesser note, I loved hearing the details on the guns and the hands on flying.

Thanks for posting this!

lightman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty mundane fellow, myself. And the older I get...….the larger my sense of self-preservation becomes.

Quick cars and fast cars have been my only vices that carried a bit of a danger factor. Used to drag race some pretty serious street horsepower. Once in a while on the strip...…..mostly not. Also had a couple of cars back in the 90's that begged to have their legs stretched on occasion. Driving on the highway in the 150's - 160's can be both exhilarating and scary as hell all at the same time......… Or so I've heard.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tgO4Gd4RhvM

For years... now Im “da boss”.... live a good life, a real good life because i used to get off on doing crazy [bleep] in my late teens early twenties. Now im balding and fattening up, and falling apart from the abuse. Wouldnt have it any other way tho, it did well for us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nicely writ, Dan. BTDT, as far as dueling with NVA 50s is concerned. I also flew top cover over pink teams, ready to call in air for anything the Cobras couldn't handle. Managed to get a Loach team out one day that got hammered and went down on a sand bar. It was a good day for them and for me. Not so much for the guys in the pith helmets. 173rd Abn.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have read every single post, some more than once...trying to get a read on the "why". The military types, the guys trying to make a paycheck..in most cases, didn't really go looking for danger, it found them. What surprises me is the majority of the guys, went looking for it, voluntarily if not eagerly. The cavers, ultralighters etc. I guess one conclusion I can draw, I'm a natural born coward. What with logging accidents, airplane mistakes, tugboat fiasco's...every single time, I can honestly say I hated danger, adrenaline and ensuing medical recovery. After I got bumped from an Alaska Airlines plane that went into Mt Juneau in 1971, killing all souls, (3rd mishap that I was a passenger on in 2 years) I never got on an aircraft again. Took Alaska State ferry back to Seattle. That said, my hat's off to the adventurers.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Answered the boob survey - in front of "The Warden" !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

OK, these two deserve a Caption Contest.

Top photo: “Momma always told me I’d die riding suicide…she was right.”

Bottom photo: “It is times such as this, when you wished you road double-bubble, like the pussies do.”

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Freshman track/ we had some incredible discus throwers. One day at practice somebody's father drove up in an old pickup to watch. Now it looked like an old farm truck, let's say well used. Next guy to throw had the discus come off the back of his hand. The thing sailed high and wide coming down and landing flat in the middle of the pickup hood with a resounding whump. Everyone froze, breathless, until the pickup driver started laughing. Then it pretty much defined laughing your ass off. Epic.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Out in public with this virus cshit going on!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The horse wrecks, my annual mountain goat hunt.
Just put them together. Luckily, I have, sure footed mountain goat spotting mare.
Rodeo counts in here too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Off the top of my head,...when I was about 21 I had a motorcycle. Nothing outrageously fast, maybe 108-110 mph. At the time I worked the late evening shift at a health club, closing it down at 12:30. I'd hop on my motorcycle and head home. Home was in a Cornfield County type area. The roads were bordered by standing field corn on both sides with only a narrow shoulder and shallow ditch separating the road from these walls of corn. Anyway, I'd leave the HC at about 12:45 AM and once I got about halfway home to where there was no traffic and fewer cops, I'd lay on the gas tank and open her up, whizzing through the night at 100+, slowing down at intersections and killing the headlight to see if there was any traffic coming on the crossroad.
Did this stupid stunt many times and never had a deer or car cross my path.

FWIW, I sold that motorcycle in '92 and never owned another, but I still have my cycle license.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a faller for almost 20 yrs here in BC, most of the time it was ok, lol, you have to keep your wits about you and your head up always. There is a saying up here about fallers, "the lucky get good, and the unlucky get dead".
I have had tree's...barber chair...thats where they split from the bottom and the split go's a distance up the tree and breaks the tree and it will go in any direction and hit the ground before you can take one step, this happened to me once.
I also had a tree land about 6ft from me as I was falling another tree....shut saw off, sit down, thank God repeatedly.

Then there were the rides to work on roads that skirt canyon's and if you left the road you're going down a 500ft hillside, cliff.
The rides home were even faster, dodging logging trucks was always exciting to, they don't stop, nor swerve out of the way, some of them have a hard heart. Had a couple real close calls here, one guy I worked with ran head on into an empty logging truck, his brand new pickup was totalled and the logging truck had a scratch on the bumper. The radio is a must and will save your life here.

Then there was the 20 yrs I spent fighting in Taekwon-do, Karate, and open Martial arts Tournaments. Sometimes after a tournament I couldn't walk for a couple days. I was concussed several times, before it was fully understood what was happening inside the brain. The last time I fought was the last time, lol I fought a former world champion who outweighed me by 20lbs, it was a few days before I could crawl,walk again....I kept my head out of the way that time. I was 36 then, over 20yrs ago now and I enjoyed every minute of it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The second most dangerous thing was when I used to burn around the backroads at 120 or so in my Mustang...

Most dangerous thing I ever made a habit of was a blonde from Mauston...thank God I escaped that one alive.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Left the toilet seat up one night.

A couple days later when I came to, my dear little wife said, “Boy, I hope you learned something from that little whippin’ because next time I won’t be gentle-like.”

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to be on a response team on the Fire Department, and we practiced rapelling off of bridges and cliffs. Cutting a ventilation hole in the roof of a burning house at 2 AM isn't what I'd call safe or fun. Searching a burning house with zero visibility breathing with a air pack isn't fun either. That's a young man's game, and I got out of it due to back injuries after 12 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC

I was about a foot from the edge, on hard smooth ice that had not yet melted in the shadows. My fingernails were clawed into the hard snow and the blood trail that they had left there was irrelevant. Every time I tried to move a finger for a better hold, my boots began to slip. I looked over the edge and all I could see was darkness. My knees began to shake and I was sweating. That black hole at the bottom of the waterfall was the jaws of death. I knew that if I went over the edge, I was a goner. My heart was pumping like an engine.

I surveyed the ice for some irregularity to hold onto. The only thing I could see was a rock about the size of a golf ball that had half melted its’ way into the ice; it was just out of my reach. I started to stretch for it and my boots let go. I grabbed the rock as I was sliding down and it came out of the hole. I grabbed for the hole and I stopped. I listened as it crashed and broke on the rocks below.

That hole was my first solid hold since coming to a halt. I moved my left hand to it and could only get two fingers in. But that was enough. I kicked holes into the hard snow with boots. I pulled a folding Buck knife out of my belt holster and stabbed it into the ice. I cut holes in the ice for my hands and began working my way to the side.

You win.

In the 70s I was a mechanic for a motorcycle road racing team. I realized one day that I had had more friends die from mountain climbing than motorcycle racing,

My personal most dangerous thing:

Riding a motorcycle on the street as a daily driver for 17 years.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lots of basic stupid stuff that I wouldn't bother posting. But one totally stupid, idiotic, I can't believe I did it was;

During the 100 year flood of 97 here in the area. We crossed a bridge that is normally 30 feet above the river level. This time, it was covered with quickly flowing water & only the railing was visible. Two of us on a hovercraft, 1 o'clock in the AM. We weren't going anywhere, so we had to turn around & cross it again.

I shook my head in disbelief for days that I'd done it. And the guy driving still asked why I let him do it. Told him I should smack him. He says I should.

Alcohol??? nah, just beer.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.