Hop To
Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If everybody knew what the people working in hospitals knew, they wouldn't think it's a hoax.

The truth of the matter is, news of the situation isn't being exaggerated,...it's being minimized.

I don’t believe that.

Those “in the know” have taken a vow against reporting to social media?

Even with a anonymous Burner account?

I don’t believe it either. What a boomer 😆

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Are you trying to screw up a perfectly good panic?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LazyV
If the campfire had been around in November of 41 there would been a ton of guys saying the Japanese aren’t gonna do anything...it’s all the media hyping it up..

Maybe just maybe, had the virus appeared in moments, killing 2000 Americans in a very limited area, in a matter of an hour or so.....those of us considering the media response to be “over sensationalized”, would see this far differently! If Issac Newton had proclaimed that “the sky was falling” when he got “beaned” (appled) beneath that apple tree.....he would have been labeled as “over reacting”! In stead, he discovered that ......the sky was falling, “only” under the apple tree! I guess we all have our perspective.....depending upon where we’re standing! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My point was more the warning signs were there, just like in 41, lots of people didn’t want to see them. And when it finally happened...

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It’s interesting in a morbid way that the two groups that seem generally dismissive are the ones most and least affected by it. Kids I understand because they’re kids and are being told it’s not as dangerous for them. Older people it’s inexplicable because the data is already pretty clear. It seems like many older people are dismissing it based solely on crankiness and distrust of the media. I get that, but is there no consideration that even a broken watch is right twice a day?

And in classic campfire fashion, the couple people who have spoken up with firsthand experience are being ignored or not believed in favor of people with zero experience but unshakable preconceived notions.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
If the campfire had been around in November of 41 there would been a ton of guys saying the Japanese aren’t gonna do anything...it’s all the media hyping it up..

Sunshine and roses, lollipops and unicorns.
Where is that thumbs up button.

I had my ass chewed this morning by an ultra, ultra liberal. He does not care what is happening in Italy, or in Iran, or in Korea. This is fugging America and it is not going to happen here. It is all fake news.

Fugging idiot is all bent out of shape because they cancelled March Madness, MLB, and NBA.

But at least, now, he believes in fake news.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For some here, maybe most it won't sink in until it effects their own. Maybe some will even consider it OK with their elderly, but when it effects their spouse or one of their kids, they'll get it then...

Phil

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It’s interesting in a morbid way that the two groups that seem generally dismissive are the ones most and least affected by it. Kids I understand because they’re kids and are being told it’s not as dangerous for them. Older people it’s inexplicable because the data is already pretty clear. It seems like many older people are dismissing it based solely on crankiness and distrust of the media. I get that, but is there no consideration that even a broken watch is right twice a day?

And in classic campfire fashion, the couple people who have spoken up with firsthand experience are being ignored or not believed in favor of people with zero experience but unshakable preconceived notions.

+1 that is the standard MO...People with experience get ignored

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Just some more math to ponder.....in one 7 day period, during this flu season, it’s estimated that 429000 people/day got the flu. Where is the media during this “earth shattering” news! Oh, that’s right ......just another flu season! Perhaps “if”, everyone self- quarantined, businesses shut down, public gatherings stopped, travel stopped, the “sanitizing” of every possible contact surface ......we could reduce these flu numbers as well! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The fact is No one has experience with it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The fact is No one has experience with it.

Ok, if you should come down with it...Do you want me to make sure you get good ventilation? 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I imagine the real truth and facts lay somewhere in the middle.

It's not doomsday as the media says, but more serious than the flu.

Perspective, and calming is badly needed. The more immediate threat comes from the panic the media is pushing non-stop.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’ve been in a facility with a massive outbreak. I’m telling you, as an ultra conservative guy, this stuff is extremely dangerous. Guys I know who are in peak physical health are getting rocked by this stuff. Guys have spoke up in threads with family working in hospitals saying it’s really bad stuff. This isn’t the flu in its effects for lots of people.

Someone asked why aren’t people speaking out on social media? They are, but just aren’t your friends and you’re not seeing it or you are in a different part of the country where it hasn’t spread massively yet. I know the guy in the video and you can also see him as a commentator or one of the live pd type shows but for all first responders. It’s only a couple minutes long but some may get something out of it. He can’t go into a ton of detail though because of HIPPA.

https://youtu.be/pVhqq1J-bNI

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Agree rockin, the silver lining is it’s not Ebola or something with a 70% death rate...but there’s a whole scale of bad and it’s on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A few days ago I returned home in Montana after being up on the North Slope since Christmas. We built ice roads for oil exploration. The big plan was for four wells but due to a harsh winter, temperatures and equipment failures, the scope got cut back to three.

The roads, pads etc were nearly complete (95%) for the three wells, with first one about 3/4 done (drilling, not testing). Hundreds of Millions were spent on this. They announced yesterday that when well #1 is done, they're pulling out of the whole works. Employees on Slope will be extended, those off Slope in AK able to return after a delay and those outside of Alaska, SOL, go file unemployment.

Proportional response? Well, I suppose if you're loved ones get it or not ehh? Very prudent, if a little late, to take drastic steps that'll help curb the spread immensely, IMO. MAGA

The price of oil may be another factor in the decision.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My point was more the warning signs were there, just like in 41, lots of people didn’t want to see them. And when it finally happened...

Doesn't the same argument work the other way?
Coming Ice age
Hole in the ozone
SARS
Swine Flu
Global Warning
AIDS ravaging the hetero community
Y2K
etc.

Lots of people saw our imminent deaths then as well.
I'm not saying it isn't serious and I'm not saying it won't kill you. I will say the reaction is out of proportion, IMO.

Feel free to panic. Just don't look to include me. I have prepared as well as I can, through the years. Shrill screaming will not improve my situation. I've never mastered panic. Have fun.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I don’t think it’s a hoax.

But blown out of proportion....

Why not all this back with the ZeroBama was battlin H1n1?

Well, a couple things to think about:

If you recall, there was a strong vaccination program against H1N1. It didn't just crop up out of nowhere for the 2009-2010 season. There were a limited number of cases at the tail end of the 2008-2009 season that gave us time to prepare.

Secondly, the world, only 10 years ago, was not nearly as connected to social media as it is today. I'm not all that interested in looking at data, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that at present, the number of social media posts is an order of magnitude or more greater today.

And yes, I'm sure that having an MSM that is bound and determined to oust our president also figures into the equation.

Another thing to remember about H1N1 is that it was not a new virus. It was/is the same virus which swept the planet in 1918 and has been with us ever since. So there existed herd immunity to the disease.

SARS, MERS, "Bird Flu" are all serious diseases yes. But are so less contagious than C-19 that comparisons are invalid.

People speak of so many that have C-19 and never know it. Yes that is true. But they are still contagious for as much as two weeks and spreading it wherever they go. Some people suspect the infection rate vs exposure is low. I doubt that or we would not see a doubling of confirmed cases (sick people) every four days in every affected population.

Praying and hoping that quinine regimen proves efficacious.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 that is the standard MO...People with experience get ignored

I know several health care providers, some are very concerned .....some not so much. People in the health care business are human, just like the rest of us. Some react in near panic, to some it’s another day in the office. memtb

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If everybody knew what the people working in hospitals knew, they wouldn't think it's a hoax.

The truth of the matter is, news of the situation isn't being exaggerated,...it's being minimized.

Yup

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 280shooter

Doesn't the same argument work the other way?
Coming Ice age
Hole in the ozone
SARS
Swine Flu
Global Warning
AIDS ravaging the hetero community
Y2K
etc.

Lots of people saw our imminent deaths then as well.
I'm not saying it isn't serious and I'm not saying it won't kill you. I will say the reaction is out of proportion, IMO.

Feel free to panic. Just don't look to include me. I have prepared as well as I can, through the years. Shrill screaming will not improve my situation. I've never mastered panic. Have fun.

Panic here? no. Preparation? yes. Full pantry, new will? Yes. Hiding in a closet? No.

But I am grateful that authorities are taking steps to give me a better shot at adequate medical care when I do inevitably catch this virus. I would like to be around to enjoy the retirement I have prepared for.

Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.