Hop To
Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone
another thing to keep in mind is that Covid attacks the same people the flu does. A lot of those people will get Covid before they would have gotten the flu. The overall result may end up being few if any more deaths than a normal flu season.

BTW, my doctor is still seeing patients who THINK they have Covid. So far NONE of them have it.

Somewhat surprised that that much testing for it is presently available.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Our immune system CAN overcome it. Not everyone’s will and that’s sad. The world will not end however.

Immune systems really kicked ass on, say, Cancer and Ebola , eh ?

Grins

Didn’t know we were talking about cancer and Ebola. Typical liberal tactic though. Now go buy all the toilet paper you can fit in your trunk .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by watch4bear

another legendary cinematic scene

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Our immune system CAN overcome it. Not everyone’s will and that’s sad. The world will not end however.

Immune systems really kicked ass on, say, Cancer and Ebola , eh ?

Grins

Didn’t know we were talking about cancer and Ebola. Typical liberal tactic though. Now go buy all the toilet paper you can fit in your trunk .

As a reminder we were talking about immune systems that you brought up, not me.
Question for you.

Cancer a virus?

Yours seems to be a typical liberal tactic to slip off and defer from the original focus. Well played.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The reason this is being taken so seriously is not just because of its potential for serious illness and death, but because it's contagious as hell.

Also, the virus can live on dry surfaces for 3 days. I think that's one of the biggest considerations.

I think this — the contagiousness— is the deal. Figure it’s going to be everywhere which is why the self-isolating is so very important to keep the infection curve flatter and the death rate lower.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I don’t think it’s a hoax.

But blown out of proportion....

Why not all this back with the ZeroBama was battlin H1n1?

I'm pretty much in this camp.
and something about the whole deal still has a fishy smell to me. And the Liberals moto of never waste a crisis makes it far worse

Last edited by ldholton; 03/20/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is some bullsheet.....

"I work in a hospital, or I have a friend who works in a hospital, and they are doing their best to keep this under the radar." Well, at the one I work at things are pretty much normal, with the exception of extra cleaning precautions.

"Have you every worked with a population of confined animals, that have a contagious disease?" Well, that is irrelevant because we are not a world population of confined animals. Animals yes, but far from confined and staying home from the local Red Lobster and McDonalds will have no significent effect in containing the spread. Just today, two different flower garden parking lots were fairly full with the gals getting their spring plantings. Was out on the road for a couple hours....Must have passed and been passed by at least 10,000 cars. Confined?????....I think not....

"Damn kids and millennials don't care. They go around licking toilet seats." Ok a few licked toilet seats and you fell for the clickbait and think that is their norm. I work with mostly millennials and on the whole they are extremely concerned. We had a guy who was on a cruise, but they turned around and came back to Florida. He was tested when he got off the ship and was cleared. Returned home and two weeks later was tested again by the hospital and cleared to return to work. Some of the millennials thought he should not be allowed and they voiced their opinion they didn't want to work with him. I guess those damn millennials just don't care. They were told he was cleared to work.....

Here is some classic scare tactic BS: It is almost a given one of them is going to die......

Originally Posted by cra1948
Wife has a close friend (they are godmothers to each other’s first born) who is a family practice MD. Her husband is an ER MD. They are very concerned. He is not going home after his shift....staying in a hotel near the hospital. She is staying home with their kids, says they are trying to make sure their kids come through this with at least one parent.

"Fake news is everywhere." Yet now we are to believe all they say about Covid-19.

"This will be Trumps finest hour." Well, what other option does he have than to pull out all the jokers in the deck and play them?

What isn't bullsheeet:

Originally Posted by ctsmith
Somebody help me with the math. Potentially millions infected in the US but we're still at around 200k world wide, and it started in the most dense population in world? I can't seem to reconcile that.

Originally Posted by memtb

OK, I take the bait! No illness or life threatening disease should be taken with impudence! However, at this point in time it appears to be blown completely out of proportion. As I have mentioned.....so far this flu season, 25K + Americans have died from the flu or complications thereof! In the 2017-2018 flu season, American deaths were 80K. Yet, it was barely spoken about....let alone “crash” the markets, shut down all public venues, empty grocery stores, and cause wholesale panic. It’s absolutely horrendous to those that have contradicted the disease, and to those who have lost loved ones. However, so far, at least in America, it pales in comparison to the 2017-2018 flu season......and I hope it stays that way!

There......Challenge Accepted! wink memtb

Last edited by battue; 03/20/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another thing to keep in mind is that Covid attacks the same people the flu does. A lot of those people will get Covid before they would have gotten the flu. The overall result may end up being few if any more deaths than a normal flu season.

BTW, my doctor is still seeing patients who THINK they have Covid. So far NONE of them have it.

Most of the people coming in have their usual seasonal allergies and associated sinus infections. Only now, they think they have the 'Rona and are going to die because of all the hype.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

Most of the people coming in have their usual seasonal allergies and associated sinus infections. Only now, they think they have the 'Rona and are going to die because of all the hype.

Understood, Tyrone but how do the doctors know it ain’t?

What I’m asking about is available testing and if you guys and your area has that available, and if so then your area has done well in the preparation stage and I hope that’s the case.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MM879
Well, the naysayers did step up.

Appreciate y’all’s perspectives.

One thing that does appear to standout to me is that those who live relatively isolated and are pretty much away from the throngs are the least bothered or more unbelieving of the seriousness of the co virus.

To me, those that have the first hand knowledge of this thing should be heeded in their warnings.

As to the Political side of this, when has any potential large scale threat NOT had politics involved ?

Maybe having a brain trust like Andrew Cuomo report on it helped. Maybe telling the public N95 masks are not effective, then telling them they are reserved for the doctors in the same breath. If you talk slowly and with simple words it will be co..rr..ect. FY....

There’s always misinformation to consider and seems to be plenty of it out there.

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. You need to be strong enough to pick a side.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Story .. younger brother got a co worker who's wife had a "symptom " employer sent her home and told her not to return unless given a clean test. They check and finally found a "test" at the cost of $300 . WTF ??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Understood, Tyrone but how do the doctors know it ain’t?

What I’m asking about is available testing and if you guys and your area has that available, and if so then your area has done well in the preparation stage and I hope that’s the case.
I'm not the doctor, but my guess is he goes by the symptoms.

Oh, yeah, and strep is ever-popular.

I've noted that people in MI disproportionately seem to think they've had it already. Who knows? We never will. The denominator in the equation will forever be unknown.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Well, the naysayers did step up.

Appreciate y’all’s perspectives.

One thing that does appear to standout to me is that those who live relatively isolated and are pretty much away from the throngs are the least bothered or more unbelieving of the seriousness of the co virus.

To me, those that have the first hand knowledge of this thing should be heeded in their warnings.

As to the Political side of this, when has any potential large scale threat NOT had politics involved ?

Maybe having a brain trust like Andrew Cuomo report on it helped. Maybe telling the public N95 masks are not effective, then telling them they are reserved for the doctors in the same breath. If you talk slowly and with simple words it will be co..rr..ect. FY....

There’s always misinformation to consider and seems to be plenty of it out there.

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. You need to be strong enough to pick a side.

Agreed.
I’ve picked mine. Error on the side of caution of what’s unknown and yet to be seen.

Trump and his team seem to have a very genuine concern about the whole situation.

I do confess that were Obama in the driver’s seat, I might have a more jaundiced eye towards this so there is that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Was at the Docs today....Major University Medical Center....

You have or recently had a cold or symptoms of a cold? No...
Unusual aches or pains? No
Dry cough? NO
Fever? No
Alright let's take your temperature....You're good, Doc will see you shortly....Go pee in the cup and leave it on the self...

Doc sees me....I'd like to shake your hand, but I'm sure you understand....At your age, are you worried much about the virus?....Not really.....Ok, just pay attention.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LazyV
It’s interesting in a morbid way that the two groups that seem generally dismissive are the ones most and least affected by it. Kids I understand because they’re kids and are being told it’s not as dangerous for them. Older people it’s inexplicable because the data is already pretty clear. It seems like many older people are dismissing it based solely on crankiness and distrust of the media. I get that, but is there no consideration that even a broken watch is right twice a day?

And in classic campfire fashion, the couple people who have spoken up with firsthand experience are being ignored or not believed in favor of people with zero experience but unshakable preconceived notions.

The ones who are "dismissive", are not dismissing the virus. They're (we're) dismissing the response. We've pretty well tanked the economy, added at least a trillion to the debt (tell me the little kids won't be affected by that), and trampled the he'll out of liberty and the constitution. No one knows if any of this is necessary, but it's happening nevertheless.

And as for people with first hand knowledge speaking up and being ignored, what do you want us to do? You had a bad illness. You survived. My God, lets burn it all down!

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by LazyV
It’s interesting in a morbid way that the two groups that seem generally dismissive are the ones most and least affected by it. Kids I understand because they’re kids and are being told it’s not as dangerous for them. Older people it’s inexplicable because the data is already pretty clear. It seems like many older people are dismissing it based solely on crankiness and distrust of the media. I get that, but is there no consideration that even a broken watch is right twice a day?

And in classic campfire fashion, the couple people who have spoken up with firsthand experience are being ignored or not believed in favor of people with zero experience but unshakable preconceived notions.

The ones who are "dismissive", are not dismissing the virus. They're (we're) dismissing the response. We've pretty well tanked the economy, added at least a trillion to the debt (tell me the little kids won't be affected by that), and trampled the he'll out of liberty and the constitution. No one knows if any of this is necessary, but it's happening nevertheless.

And as for people with first hand knowledge speaking up and being ignored, what do you want us to do? You had a bad illness. You survived. My God, lets burn it all down!

Are you saying, specifically, that it’s here but just let it ride?

What response would you have given ?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Covid 19 took 3 months to infect 100,000 people worldwide. The second 100,000 were infected in 12 days. That’s what exponential growth looks like.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I posted yesterday that as a business owner I was following their suggested protocol.

We are very severely limiting our contact with customers[many of those are medical and or medical related].

But I am also using my brain and not seeing where this level of hype is warranted.
That may change, IDK exactly what to believe and the MSM is only driving me to think it's 70% hype/30% real.
Can't help how I feel.

FJB & FJT
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There’s been some pretty hot exchanges between some here who think that this whole Co virus thing is a hoax and those who think it is real and deadly.

I’m in the second group.

So, who here will step up - now - and call it all a bunch of
Bullscchhitt ?

The virus is real. However, the panic is being manufactured for political gain.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While more X100,000's are going to die this year from Cancer, MS, diabetes, parkinsons, etc and they get little more than a prayers sent from the campfire and then forgotten until the next request ....
And an extra trillion is nowhere to be found....

Yet here we get the old folks bogie....self quarantine, which for the most part is complete BS....while the mail is being delivered-remember it can last for 3 days on a hard surface, but the mail goes around the world-,people are filling their gas tanks, going to the grocery store, having dinner with friends, getting haircuts, taking walks, must have been at least 100 out and about in the local park when I walked the Dog yesterday. Yea we are a confined population under quarantine....But hey, stay out the local restaurant, because it is exponential....joke.....

Last edited by battue; 03/20/20.

Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (160user, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 27 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,379
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.