Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mighty small glass smile

Honestly I've never had a martini. One day.

MAGA

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I love it. I drink Seagrams, the cheapo gin tastes great to me. I love 3 ounces of gin on the rocks, big twist of lime, and 2 ounces tonic water. mmmmmmgoood!

I've had more than a few gallons of cheap gin over the years. And yup, with a lime and some tonic they'll all work. But I've found gin in like vodka in that there really is a difference.

Bourbon? I can't really tell the difference much. I've tried, but I just can't find anything better enough than Wild Turkey to be worth the coin. If you're mixing it I can't tell a bit of difference. I like the 101 because it's more bang for the buck. I just picked up a big bottle of Evan Williams bottled in bond 100 proof today based on a previous thread on here. Was way cheaper. I'm willing to try!

I listened to the scotch drinkers for years, and thought they were full of schidt. All I'd ever had was Dewar's and some other awful stuff. Had some the Macallen (18 I think?) couple years ago. Totally changed my mind. Though unless I win the lotto I don't see much of that in my future.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like gin.

Gin and tonic or a gin martini with a drop or two of bitters and a twist.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Beefeater IS gin.

I was weaned on beefeater soaked olives....

I did a similar thing. After pouring out the juice from the anchovy stuffed olives ,I would fill jar back up with extra dry vermouth.

Yesterday was a history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.. that's why we call it "present"!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Gin is my favorite booze.

I’ve pretty much narrowed my gin down to two brands. Hendricks is my favorite, more spendy gin. For casual drinking it’s beefeater. I prefer beefeater over a lot of more expensive gin.

Gin, ice
Gin, ice, and Canada Dry or Fever Tree tonic
Gin, ice, cocktail onion
Gin, ice, ginger ale and lime
Gin, ice, ginger ale, lime and a little cran/raspberry juice
Gin, ice, OJ.

A friend of a friend and his wife are big gin fanatics- when they were in London they went to a place that had a bunch of gin and were trying to determine which gin the liked the most. After trying em all they settled on Junipero Gin..... only to find out it’s made here in the SF Bay Area, 20 miles from where they live.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is known by the blacks in Georgia as "Knotty Head" because of all the bumps on the bottle.
I was a paramedic down there and I had to work on quite a few inebriated Negros. Countless, really.

We would walk in the apartment, a guy is laying on the floor, we asked the lady what the problem was.
"Oh, he be into the Knotty Head tonight." Translation, "The gentleman is drunk on Seagrams gin."
I got fluent in Ebonics in that job.

Normally I don't like cheap booze but I love the Seagrams.

Lol. Knotty head or Nappy head. Both were common.

I worked the counter at a liquor store in Clarke Co GA way back when. Primitive wogs with government cheese were the bread and butter at that store. There was a cheaper label we sold the hell out of in pints. Can’t recall it now though. Maybe Mcgregor or McCormick?

Co-worker damn near shot me one night in the middle of a “crash and grab”. I quit soon after.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
T
I love gin (any brand...I'm not fussy) but freely admit that it's an acquired taste. My old secretary disdained gin, complaining that "it tastes like hairspray." :0)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is known by the blacks in Georgia as "Knotty Head" because of all the bumps on the bottle.
I was a paramedic down there and I had to work on quite a few inebriated Negros. Countless, really.

We would walk in the apartment, a guy is laying on the floor, we asked the lady what the problem was.
"Oh, he be into the Knotty Head tonight." Translation, "The gentleman is drunk on Seagrams gin."
I got fluent in Ebonics in that job.

Normally I don't like cheap booze but I love the Seagrams.

That story cracked me up!!!! Thanks!!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes the Knotty Head is the favorite booze of the housing project Negros in central Georgia.
There was a liquor store named "Dodo's" right next to the biggest housing project. I was in there one day, I knew the owner and was having a chat with him.
And was watching the housing project citizens come in and buy booze.

Right next to the cash register was the "Discount Bin." This was a 50 gallon container, made of heavy wire, and it was filled with factory seconds, or stuff that didn't sell, or whatever. This booze was all half price. I was a paramedic. I was looking at this bin full of cheap booze and I thought, "Half the ambulance calls I run start out right here at the Discount Bin at Dodo's Liquor Store."
I had found a pint of Seagrams Gin and picked it up was just looking at it as I spoke with my buddy. This was in 1986.

Just then a 50 year old black guy walked in, he was about half-drunk, it was about 3 pm. He wandered around for a minute, then, he saw me at the discount bin holding a bottle of Seagram's Gin.

And he said, "Is that what you be buying?
I held up the bottle and said "Yes I love the Seagram's Gin!"

He said, "Oh, Lawd, White Boys buying from de Discount Bin. If Reagan keep it up fo' a few mo' years, we all be buying Knotty Head from the discount bin."

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I sometimes use gin instead of vodka in a Moscow Mule and like it better. I understand adding mint leaves is supposed to work well in the gin variation though haven't tried it.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Mighty small glass smile

Honestly I've never had a martini. One day.

Given that is 99% gin it is not so small... Trust me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Beefeater....THE gin

Costco version is right up there.

Hendrix

...lots of Ice...three onions ....and a toothpick

Unless it's in a frozen Martini glass....

Had one just this evening.

Last edited by m1919; 03/24/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Bombay Sapphire.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like Tanquray
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I really like gin.

Gin and tonic or a gin martini with a drop or two of bitters and a twist.

yep

The Costco gin has really different botanicals but its actually pretty good
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Fanofthefortyone;
Good evening to you sir and to the rest of the gin aficionados here.

With the confession that I'm not a gin fan by any stretch, but my son in law and his mother both appreciate fine gin.

They really like this stuff made 5 minutes south of here.

https://thedubhglasdistillery.com/

If any of you are heading up Highway 97 it's just on the left as you're heading through the tiny town of Gallagher Lake.

Anyway, all the best to you all. Stay well.

Dwayne

Dwayne. often up on Okanagon fly fishing, hunting off of hwy 97 . Will check this out. Sounds good

The Costco brand has really different and interesting botanicals . Grown to appreciate it. Zero juniper taste based on my palate.

The olives with anchovies for martini sounds interesting. Love complex unusual flavors

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We like Bombay Blue Sapphire EAST for my G&Ts and the wife's Gibsons..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are two general types of gin. The original kind was called Genever and was developed in the Netherlands. Dutch or Holland style has juniper plus a lot of botanicals and spices. London style is simpler, with mostly just juniper.

I much prefer the less aromatic London style, Gordon's is my usual buy because it's cheaper, but Beefeater is the standard here. Tanqueray also belongs but is a wee bit more botanical. I've tried numerous other kinds, including many of the widely-sold versions mentioned already, and also Aviator. It isn't until you sip one that you discover if it's a true London or a perfume and turpentine Dutch.

I drink it straight on ice, with classic bitters, with orange or lemon bitters, with onions (very dirty!), with tonic, with cranberry juice, and as THE classic martini.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Monkey 47 is the best I've had. If you like gin, you will love this. If you don't like gin, this will change your mind. The only gin I have ever found that one could drink straight, not that I am advocating that.

https://www.ginfoundry.com/gin/monkey-47-gin/

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Yeah, well I ain’t known for being one who follows the rest...........
Ronnie

Your drum, brother. Bang hell out of it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love my gin & tonics. Tanqueray and tonic, no lime, short glass, lots of ice. Beefeater is my second choice. If you ever come across a bottle of Martin Miller's gin and want to try something different, give it a try. Nice clean taste.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." - George Washington
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like gin & tonics with a wedge of lime in the summer. I've had them made with Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's, Plymouth and Beefeater's and, for me, Beefeater's and Plymouth stood out. All the other's are fine though. If I drank Martinis maybe my preference would change, but I like a gin that can stand up to the tonic and still deliver lots of flavor.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 67 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,027
Posts18,481,812
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.