GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn that 5 side is a giant !

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
My best friend’s last bull before he passed away two months after this hunt. This was the last night of the hunt and I’d passed up a few bulls and I chose to hunt with him for one last hoorah. Nothing was happening so we hauled butt to a dirt tank 30 minutes before dark. We’d only been for about 15 mins when we heard a bull blow down the canyon. Knowing he probably wouldn’t make it to the tank with enough time to shoot we made a move. I told Trev to use my rifle as his had taken a tumble that morning. Luckily the bull bugled a couple more times enough for us to pinpoint him. He was pushing a cow and and a quick spike bugle stopped him and Trev smokes him!! As we were there watching him I looked down and right there was a mountain lion skull!! I whisper yelled look at that! He was still watching the bull and said yeah he’s down, I said no look at this and grabbed the skull! Crazy find. As we walked up to the bull we embraced and he thanked me, I thanked him for being my friend and for some reason I teared up. At the time I couldn’t figure out why, a short two months later I knew.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great bull and story. What happened to him if ya don't mind me askin?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N

Busted bull we passed. And passed. And passed. And when we decided to go after him we couldn’t find him. Figures.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
He was crossing a rural train crossing. The sun was setting just right and he never saw the train. Near as we could tell. Never accelerated nor hit the brakes.

Jared
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry man. Lost a good pard about 14 months ago. Used to take my boy huntin when I had to work, did a lot a killin together here, Idaho and Montana, still think about him everyday. Had a massive heartattack one Sunday morning in front of his wife and kids. His last bull

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great story and memory.

My best friend’s last bull before he passed away two months after this hunt. This was the last night of the hunt and I’d passed up a few bulls and I chose to hunt with him for one last hoorah. Nothing was happening so we hauled butt to a dirt tank 30 minutes before dark. We’d only been for about 15 mins when we heard a bull blow down the canyon. Knowing he probably wouldn’t make it to the tank with enough time to shoot we made a move. I told Trev to use my rifle as his had taken a tumble that morning. Luckily the bull bugled a couple more times enough for us to pinpoint him. He was pushing a cow and and a quick spike bugle stopped him and Trev smokes him!! As we were there watching him I looked down and right there was a mountain lion skull!! I whisper yelled look at that! He was still watching the bull and said yeah he’s down, I said no look at this and grabbed the skull! Crazy find. As we walked up to the bull we embraced and he thanked me, I thanked him for being my friend and for some reason I teared up. At the time I couldn’t figure out why, a short two months later I knew.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks fellas. Sorry for your loss too Judman. Just a reminder how delicate life is and how we should appreciate every day!

Jared
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tough losing a good one .

Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry man. Lost a good pard about 14 months ago. Used to take my boy huntin when I had to work, did a lot a killin together here, Idaho and Montana, still think about him everyday. Had a massive heartattack one Sunday morning in front of his wife and kids. His last bull

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SLM

Dang Jud, he looks a lot younger than me.
Sorry for your loss.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He was crossing a rural train crossing. The sun was setting just right and he never saw the train. Near as we could tell. Never accelerated nor hit the brakes.

Damn bud....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, you all are about to make me tear up.

Somewhere I have 35mm pics of my old man's last bull. Nothing special, a small 4x5 2 year old rag archery kill. Still got the rack at home.

Also have a 35mm of the first and only elk killed by one of my only true friends. We had a pack train blow up getting that bull out, well after dark, which made things even funner. He's no longer with us either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Great memory Jud.. sounds like a great dude.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by SLM

Dang Jud, he looks a lot younger than me.
Sorry for your loss.

Ya he was 56, appeared to be in great shape, go getter. Used to tease him he was old enough to be my dad!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks fellas. Sorry for your loss too Judman. Just a reminder how delicate life is and how we should appreciate every day!

Truth, that’s why once huntin season rolls around, my ol lady just shakes her head! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Killed this bull a few years ago....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Only to have this bull walk into about 150 yards from me just a little while later. It hurt pretty badly watching him walk away unscathed. My kingdom for that 5 minutes back to do it differently.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here’s one from back in the day. I’m sorry I can’t figure out how to rotate it. Anyway this is my Grandad and two of his best friends, both of his buddies are gone now, in camp back around 68-71 somewhere in that timeframe. Grandad is the tall guy on the left, Leon in the middle was the lucky hunter that killed the bull. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My last 2 MT bull elk. I'm getting older, lazier, and pickier. The mountains are getting bigger, & it seems like the elk are fewer and farther between on public land in SW MT. These were hard earned.

Attached Images
elk-2017 rack meat.jpg (44.16 KB, 654 downloads)
2019 elk.jpg (31.5 KB, 652 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great bulls!

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 03/27/20.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
My last 2 MT bull elk. I'm getting older, lazier, and pickier. The mountains are getting bigger, & it seems like the elk are fewer and farther between on public land in SW MT. These were hard earned.

Nice bulls friendo....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1936M71, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,185 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.