Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got this e-mail a half hour ago and thought I would share.
Interesting!

Good Afternoon,

As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols, beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 27, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process. This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review.

Good Afternoon,

Correction to the previous email. beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process.

Thanks,

The NICS Business Unit

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The way I read this, gun sales are in limbo. Am I reading this correctly?

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Then the requirement for a background check should be suspended until manpower is back up.

That would be in keeping with the Constitution.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Lennie

No.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could somebody just tell us what the hell that means?

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately,
To me, that says you'll get an immediate answer without the real check being completed. But what if the answer's 'no'?
It might also be a chance for real criminals to buy guns without being checked.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
More fear-mongering.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It might also be a chance for real criminals to buy guns without being checked.

Plus 2 trillion tax payer money to spend. win win

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It says you get a yes, no or delay.

The " further review" stuff aint happenin.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They dont have time/ resources to deal w checks that would be a drag on the system

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I suspect further review stuff now just goes into delay.
No dealers waiting for answers on the PC or phone.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
More fear-mongering.

No, it's not, actually.

It is a reasonable temporary change to the process so they can continue to approve sales/transfers without delay due to their azzes being handed to them.

I love how every time someone posts something virus related half of this forum immediately dismisses it as "fear mongering" or "the sky is falling". If you haven't noticed, there is a minor little health crisis in our country which is having g a little impact on some aspects of our lives.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
At my local gun shop some people are able to purchase and leave within minutes. Others are having to wait a few days because of the Brady transfer date. I haven’t purchased anything in the last week so I haven’t been affected. I’d sure be ill if I purchased a gun and was told you may be able to pick it up in a week or so.

Last edited by bamagun01; 03/27/20.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm glad I don't need any guns. I have a couple handguns, several rifles, and a couple shotguns. I'd only have the question of "oh, what to shoot him with, decisions, decisions".

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

As I recall, the law originally specified that if they let down their end (failed to carry out the background check) the sale would go through uninterrupted. I am assuming that this aspect of the law was changed at some point to where we lose our right to buy guns if they should ever fail to hold up their end.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

As I recall, the law originally specified that if they let down their end (failed to carry out the background check) the sale would go through uninterrupted. I am assuming that this aspect of the law was changed at some point to where we lose our right to buy guns if they should ever fail to hold up their end.

This isn't a big deal. It only applies to people using the phone to call in a check. Here's how it works--you call in and give them the buyer's info. They type it in and usually give a "Proceed". Sometimes, if they're not sure, they give you to a second person. That person will sometimes give a "Proceed", sometimes a "Delayed" and sometimes a "Deny". This just gets rid of the second person due to overwhelming workload. You either get an answer from the first person or the buyer waits for his Brady date. Every time there is a scramble for guns, you get an inordinate number of Delays and Denied, due to ineligible people thinking that because of the demand, that they'll be able to slip through the cracks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's been that way for a long time.

If the NICS system catches a name similar to a "No", they refer the question to the FBI to come up with more detailed information for a decision.

If the NICS system has not gotten back to the seller within a certain period of time.. (48 hours or something similar), then the purchase can proceed.

It's been working okay like this, unless your name is Bob Smith born in 1960... eek

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Its amazing how the NICS system always "goes down" in times of perceived emergency. It went down the weekend of the " Million Mom March" too...coincidence!

I think not.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can’t even buy a damn gun. Trying to pick up something flat shooting for a DIY Montana spring bear hunt in a few weeks.

Important Message:
On Saturday March 21, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy announced he is putting New Jersey in lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus. Per Executive Order 107, he is ordering the residents of New Jersey to stay home, directing all non-essential retail businesses closed to the public. At this time, the order includes New Jersey Firearms State Licensed Dealers. The New Jersey State Police NICS Unit is directing the vendor of the NICS Online Application (NICUSA) to turn off the NICS Online Services for submitting NICS transactions by eliminating the β€œRequest Form” button, effective 9:00pm EST, Saturday, March 21, 2020. You will still have the ability to view the message board and the status of previously submitted transactions. This β€œRequest Form” feature will remain off until further order by Governor Murphy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon my ignorance, what's a Brady date?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,085
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.