-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problems of 2008 were never fixed, just pasted over with more fiat. Can't print your way to prosperity

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
People aren’t paniced enough for metal prices to really rise. Usually when they go up a lot it’s befause people either fear inflation or an apocalypse. I think the consensus is more that in 6 months things will pretty much be back to normal

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have no gold, I do have lead...I'm ok with that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kellywk
People aren’t paniced enough for metal prices to really rise. Usually when they go up a lot it’s befause people either fear inflation or an apocalypse. I think the consensus is more that in 6 months things will pretty much be back to normal

True^^^^
the thing is you don't want gold to go parabolic... that would mean an economic collapse

Gold is a proven hedge in inflationary times though.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by usull
You would think that at times like this ......that it would have gone through the roof . What gives ?

Because we're not in an economic crisis, we're in a medical crisis with economic consequences. The economy was "mostly" sound prior to the pandemic. The thinking is we could have a sound economy again in a couple years. Metals don't fit in that scenario.

We. didn't have a sound economy before the virus we just had the least bad economy in the world so investors flocked to the US with their money.

We had as sound of an economy as has existed and still do relative to the rest of the world. There will obviously be contraction as long as we artificially stop the economy but it will recover quickly and I expect it to be stronger within a year of the end of the effects of the pandemic. As we bring some of our manufacturing home available dollars for trade will be even more restricted and dollar value will raise.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Should A nation's debt be factored into the overall health of its economy? I don't enough to answer this question completely.

Originally Posted by Daveinjax
You would think that at times like this ......that it would have gone through the roof . What gives ?

Because we're not in an economic crisis, we're in a medical crisis with economic consequences. The economy was "mostly" sound prior to the pandemic. The thinking is we could have a sound economy again in a couple years. Metals don't fit in that scenario.

We. didn't have a sound economy before the virus we just had the least bad economy in the world so investors flocked to the US with their money.

We had as sound of an economy as has existed and still do relative to the rest of the world. There will obviously be contraction as long as we artificially stop the economy but it will recover quickly and I expect it to be stronger within a year of the end of the effects of the pandemic. As we bring some of our manufacturing home available dollars for trade will be even more restricted and dollar value will raise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should A nation's debt be factored into the overall health of its economy? I don't enough to answer this question completely.

Absolutely it should.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well that's a separate issue, I'm just responding to the "real-world" thinking of the OP's question.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
For those that follow currency there is still a shortage of dollars and despite all the printing of dollars there’s still more demand for the world’s reserve currency than available supply. The dollar continues to surge and I will bet that it will accelerate in the future. The Euro is very likely to actually disappear as the EU disintegrates. The Euro was the only other widely traded currency and it may well vanish. There is no viable alternative to the dollar.

The cleanest dirty sock in the hamper.
The question we should be asking is why is the USD the reserve currency and what if anything will change that?

In the land of blind, the one eyed man is king. I don't think anything changes the US as a reserve currency for a long time. China is a lying cheat and the world knows it. EU if fugged, I guess there is always zimbabwe , they seem pretty solid laugh

This China virus might very well bankrupt Italy, Spain, and a handful more EU countries, they are pretty close to edge as it is.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Should A nation's debt be factored into the overall health of its economy?

Yes.

That's why I answered the way I did.

Everyone on this forum seems to think Trump is the conservative's super-hero, but his tax cuts made the debt worse. He is no conservative, just an alternative.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes.

Everyone on this forum seems to think Trump is the conservative's super-hero, but his tax cuts made the debt worse. He is no conservative.

He never has been. But they don't seem to notice.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think part of the drop of gold and silver is that it is used in almost all of our electronic devices. If the demand for them goes down so will the demand for both of them. The parallel drop could be considered "economic capitulation" which happened after 911 and the '08 mortgage crash. You can't put Trump into any political label other than pro-America. That's good enough for me.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by irfubar
For those that follow currency there is still a shortage of dollars and despite all the printing of dollars there’s still more demand for the world’s reserve currency than available supply. The dollar continues to surge and I will bet that it will accelerate in the future. The Euro is very likely to actually disappear as the EU disintegrates. The Euro was the only other widely traded currency and it may well vanish. There is no viable alternative to the dollar.

The cleanest dirty sock in the hamper.
The question we should be asking is why is the USD the reserve currency and what if anything will change that?

In the land of blind, the one eyed man is king. I don't think anything changes the US as a reserve currency for a long time. China is a lying cheat and the world knows it. EU if fugged, I guess there is always zimbabwe , they seem pretty solid laugh

This China virus might very well bankrupt Italy, Spain, and a handful more EU countries, they are pretty close to edge as it is.

The lesson to be learned from this by the world is that giving up control of your money supply as a country like the Europeans have done with the Euro is brain dead stupid. The lack of liquidity and the ability to inject liquidity is going to collapse the weaker southern countries economies and will end the European Union. The whole of the Europe is [bleep] by chaining the the economies together in monetary policy. What’s good for the Germans and Dutch is poison for the Italians and Spanish and possibly even the French.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yes.

Everyone on this forum seems to think Trump is the conservative's super-hero, but his tax cuts made the debt worse. He is no conservative, just an alternative.

Debt is caused by borrowing more than you have and spending above your means, not tax cuts. If you are going to blame Trump for debt, then blame him for signing on to record level spending, not tax cuts. Go look up base line budgeting, its been going on for decades, both parties of which are responsible.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Fed debt closing in on $30 trillion +, consumer debt over $14 trillion +, corp debt $19 trillion +, future unfunded liabilities in excess of $200 trillion.

What were you saying about a sound economy?

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I think part of the drop of gold and silver is that it is used in almost all of our electronic devices. If the demand for them goes down so will the demand for both of them. The parallel drop could be considered "economic capitulation" which happened after 911 and the '08 mortgage crash. You can't put Trump into any political label other than pro-America. That's good enough for me.

You get it ! It’s just a commodity with limited usefulness. You also get Trump.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Fed debt closing in on $30 trillion +, consumer debt over $14 trillion +, corp debt $19 trillion +, future unfunded liabilities in excess of $200 trillion.

Completely meaningless.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Completely meaningless.

Yeah, sure.

AOC thinks the same, ....and she even got a degree in modern economics theory.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So long as the WORLD economy continues to grow at a pace that the demand for dollars doesn’t fall behind US debt issuance it’s meaningless. If it does it will spark dollar inflation and that will be temporarily painful but will wipe out the value of US debt and the real economy will keep on going. Static investments will be wiped out but continuing business will come out stronger.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Opinion only: Gold markets are up and they are down. Whether they are up or down depends in large part, upon what central banks and large institutional banks want. The “paper market” rules and sets the price. The buyers of physical.... for delivery... gold... are generally “price takers” up in that they must “take” the paper price.

The physical market for coins, 100 oz and even 400 oz bars, is on fire right now. That is why a physical one oz coin commands a $180 per ounce premium over the “paper price.” Most European mints are shut down and the supply of coins and small bars is restricted.

Remember, there is no shortage of gold in the world. Banks have thousands of tonnes. If they want the price to go down, they can do a couple of things.... they could simple sell into supply and perhaps also drag the paper price down. If they want the price to go up, the same thing in reverse. They can also support or lower a country currency price.

There have been a number of factors contributing to the fall in the price mentioned in this thread. All have elements of correctness to them.

Banks and governments don’t want panic now, they do not want a rush to gold that will shatter the average joe’s confidence in the economy. Yes, we have deflation now, but those trillions and trillions we start to work into the economy and perhaps two things will happen.....a severe recession and joblessness for sure, but inflation as well. Then there will be huge demand for the financial security provided by gold and the price will rise, perhaps in dramatic fashion.

I talked with a gold dealer today. He reports he is making three times the number of monthly sales As opposed to four months ago. He also reports that the average buy might be $5000 to maybe $50,000. Now he is processing many orders of $250,000 and on up. But, he has run out of “normal “ coins for sale. This is why there is a premium over spot is way high.

So, I asked what is coming next. He said he did not know.... if the Coronavirus situation is handled well, maybe a modest rise. He said those folks out there wanting to buy $500,000 of gold are still there and will be hungry of gold for quite a spell. Demand for physical is strong.

But.... he agreed that inflation is on the way and some “private heavy hitters” are getting frustrated with lack of delivery.... ok, but what can they do? I was surprised by his answer....He said all it will take (to ignite a price skyrocket) is for some Arab sheik to say he is ready to take delivery of $2 billion of physical..... at $2000 per ounce.... It seems that a trigger like that is what ie required to shake the strangle hold of paper gold prices. Seems that the world has quite a few skittish multi billionaires.

I don’t understand all this. But, it seems to me that economic convulsions are coming..... cash, gold and real estate would seem to do well.

Some folks will say that the “paper gold” vs “physical” gold is a bogus thesis. I don’t hold to that. Seems a paper contract that does not yield delivery is nothing more than a derivative. The paper gold system seems to be like trading derivatives.

We’ll see.....

Last edited by TF49; 03/31/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,936
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.