Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Welded!!

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welded. Most village folk along the Tanana, Koyukuk and Yukon Rivers run Alwelds. I imagine is pretty much the same along the river systems in other regions too. Out here on the AKPEN you won't find a riveted skiff in fresh or saltwater. They are either welded aluminum or custom-built fiberglass.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

My G3 is the Bay 18 DLX. Of course it’s aluminum, but I wouldn’t call it a flat bottom and definitely not a deep V. My boat sees a lot of chop, and it certainly is rougher than a heavy fiberglass deep-v, but with the boat trimmed right and keeping the speed reasonable it does just fine. But I’m 33. I might think differently if I was a little older.

I'm 62 now and not wouldn't appreciate a rough water ride. On the other hand, I'd not likely be too adventurous in rough weather anyway.

I have leaned towards crestliner V-hulls for a long time.My buddy who owns one loves his and it's his second.
Trouble is that I have heard and seen enough in printed articles and online reviews that leads me to believe that at least some years/models of Crestliners have had failure issues with the transoms.
That and some detailed first hand advice from another poster here about his Crestliner with the same issue tells me that the issue is real.

Which affordable mass manufacturer makes a roomy, wide, welded and bomb-proof V-hull?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Seems like this thread has probably made it clear to you, but welded. My Alumaweld supervee had zero issues, and my Duckwater is a tank. But if I couldn’t afford a welded boat and rivets got me on the water it’d be fine...until I could afford a welded...

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LazyV
Seems like this thread has probably made it clear to you, but welded. My Alumaweld supervee had zero issues, and my Duckwater is a tank. But if I couldn’t afford a welded boat and rivets got me on the water it’d be fine...until I could afford a welded...

BAM...

I can be guilty of overthinking...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I will only go with Welded boats. I like a chine built in and then run a bead. You can't just weld butt to butt and get the same performance. I have no use for riveted boats. I especially like Alumaweld Boats out of Oregon.

Alumaweld doesnt make a riveted boad! You have them confused with some other manufacturer!

Heym, have you been drinkin? may want to re-read that post

Not drinking just reading like a second grader,while eating dinner! Thanks for keeping me in line, as i stray easily!

Last edited by Heym06; 04/02/20.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

My G3 is the Bay 18 DLX. Of course it’s aluminum, but I wouldn’t call it a flat bottom and definitely not a deep V. My boat sees a lot of chop, and it certainly is rougher than a heavy fiberglass deep-v, but with the boat trimmed right and keeping the speed reasonable it does just fine. But I’m 33. I might think differently if I was a little older.

I'm 62 now and not wouldn't appreciate a rough water ride. On the other hand, I'd not likely be too adventurous in rough weather anyway.

I have leaned towards crestliner V-hulls for a long time.My buddy who owns one loves his and it's his second.
Trouble is that I have heard and seen enough in printed articles and online reviews that leads me to believe that at least some years/models of Crestliners have had failure issues with the transoms.
That and some detailed first hand advice from another poster here about his Crestliner with the same issue tells me that the issue is real.

Which affordable mass manufacturer makes a roomy, wide, welded and bomb-proof V-hull?

What is your definition of affordable?

Like I said earlier. Used boats get cheap real fast. And actually, every boat on the water is used.

Craigslist and boat trader are your friends.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A used heavy welded aluminum will hold it's value much better than any other boat. I bought a used Hewescraft riverunner 19 ft , used it for 5 yrs and sold it for what I paid.

New , you will lose a bit but not as much as you think

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by mirage243
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

Am I correct in that G3 welds the flat bottoms, and rivets the V-hulls? If so do you know why?

Any experience with the G3 flat bottom or bay boats on big water and/or chop?

Any flat bottom boat is going to beat the hell out of you and out of the boat in chop. Even a 10 degree deadrise hull built for white water rivers will be harsh on a lake or salt hitting waves. That is what the deep V is for. It cuts through the wave instead of bouncing off the top.

What about a flat like this with a 15 deg deadrise? Or is this not really considered a flat bottom?

River boats have a 10 degree or less V...... 15 degree is relatively steep, definitely a lake boat, that would even function a medium to big lake

I would not and do not hesitate to run my G3 in very skinny and stumpy water. With an 8’ beam and sponsons on the back, it’s doesn’t take much water to float her. I really like her a lot.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

What is your definition of affordable?

Like I said earlier. Used boats get cheap real fast. And actually, every boat on the water is used.

Craigslist and boat trader are your friends.

I've looked at used boats by Gregor, Allweld, Hanko and other semi-custom makers. They'll likely never be affordable in my way of thinking.

My definition of affordable is around 25k for a new boat/motor/trailer combo. Used is another story, and I prefer to buy used.
I just backed off on a riveted 2008 G3 V167 combo that the owner needed 10K for. I believe his rig is worth $10,000 dollars, but it is both shorter and narrower than I really want.
Might need to reconsider it as I will mostly fish alone and on sheltered waters.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
A used heavy welded aluminum will hold it's value much better than any other boat. I bought a used Hewescraft riverunner 19 ft , used it for 5 yrs and sold it for what I paid.

I have an Alumaweld Intruder, purchased new in 2004. There selling used today for what i paid new! Inflation and the explosion of expensive welded boats, has kept the price up at least here in the northwest!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Welded weigh more but are less likely to leak.

Leaks also depend on how much you'll use the boat. I've had my Lowe since 1999 and the rivets don't leak or at least not enough for me to notice but I don't use my boat enough...

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06

I have an Alumaweld Intruder, purchased new in 2004. There selling used today for what i paid new! Inflation and the explosion of expensive welded boats, has kept the price up at least here in the northwest!

True, I was in the market last year and the used prices were so high I went new and got exactly what I wanted

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Welded weigh more but are less likely to leak.

Leaks also depend on how much you'll use the boat. I've had my Lowe since 1999 and the rivets don't leak or at least not enough for me to notice but I don't use my boat enough...

Post pics
And a price!!!
grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John you have been starting boat threads every couple of days now..... time to schit or get off the pot.... smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
In 24 years of ocean service, crabbing in December also, my old riveted Starcraft has never had a loose rivet. The Pacific Coast north of Cape Mendocino and south of Coos Head is not very pacific. The access to open ocean is over bars. The Rogue River bar at Gold Beach is legendary. The Starcrafts are the proven boats, I believe of the Walleye fisherman on the Great Lakes which I believe blows up as steep and quick as any water in North America.
The technology of tig welding has improved over the years, but I am not aware of any welded aircraft, I personally have ridden tens of thousands of miles in Alaska and the Aleutians in my company's DC-3, it was 50 years old when they bought it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John you have been starting boat threads every couple of days now..... time to schit or get off the pot.... smile

I agree in general terms, but you gotta admit that a good boat thread does alleviate some of the symptoms of Viral Panic...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My definition of affordable is around 25k for a new boat/motor/trailer combo. Used is another story, and I prefer to buy used.
I just backed off on a riveted 2008 G3 V167 combo that the owner needed 10K for. I believe his rig is worth $10,000 dollars, but it is both shorter and narrower than I really want.
Might need to reconsider it as I will mostly fish alone and on sheltered waters.

Seem to remember a thread where you said you were looking to fish Mississippi and Wisconsin river....if that is the case and you aren't looking to play Bassmasters I cannot imagine a 16 footer with a 40/50 horse tiller not being enough boat for you, especially solo. One thing you may or may not have thought of is you'll be launching and loading this thing solo - some guys lack the gene for getting a boat back on the trailer, it's exasperated when they start to get into 20 footers and 8 foot beams.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie
My choice. Alumaweld was mentioned earlier. They are an OK boat but I am not a fan of their box beam hull construction.

http://wooldridgeboats.com/

Cool website, Lennie. They make some nice looking boats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree in general terms, but you gotta admit that a good boat thread does alleviate some of the symptoms of Viral Panic...

Indeed John, I am not complaining... just trying to help you spend $.... what are friends for?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.