Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I have seen elephant, water buff, pigs and people whacked by .22 CF bullets. They all required at least one shot.

Don’t they all require at least one shot?

P

I'm not sure. I've had a few twofers and even threefers with pigs, guess it would/could happen with deer. That's kinda like a half shot or less per critter. And there is the question about short rounds. A 1911 will whack a water buff with one pop and that's sorta like a half shot as well. Mathman might have some insight on this.

Pop'n flop

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I have seen elephant, water buff, pigs and people whacked by .22 CF bullets. They all required at least one shot.

Don’t they all require at least one shot?

P

I'm not sure. I've had a few twofers and even threefers with pigs, guess it would/could happen with deer. That's kinda like a half shot or less per critter. And there is the question about short rounds. A 1911 will whack a water buff with one pop and that's sorta like a half shot as well. Mathman might have some insight on this.

Pop'n flop

heard that water buffalo makes good phò ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
This real experience cracks me up... Fake experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy of mine shot a deer in the foot and killed it , it was scratching it's ear. smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The ballistic gack is good but the old photos are great. Thanks, Pat.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

I gave the old Sako .220 Swift to my youngest son a few years ago. He's grown pretty attached to it, and has taken a few big game animals, and a good number of coyotes with it.

Barrel number nine will be a Bartlein, chambered in .22 Creed. He's sending it in this March.

Super nice light in this photo.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

Not much for size..;), but a pretty unique color phase.

Journal says: 125 yards, 55gr Hornady, Ran 35 yards.

I’d bet that journal will be a valued treasure to your boys some day. This is a great thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This real experience cracks me up... Fake experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's fake about it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Vince Dougherty was another proponent of the 220 Swift. A google search should turn up some interesting rid bits.

Me, I've used the 14 twist 22/250 to take whitetail. 55 grain Hornady and 60 grain Partitions mostly. A couple fell to the 55 grain Remington Power Lokt copper clad softpoint.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Admitting to use of the 22 on deer would be a crime in this state. Even possession while hunting for deer is a crime in This state.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have killed my 2 largest whitetails with .223/ 55 gr. soft points. 1 right below the ear the other high/tight to the shoulder, both about 30 yds. DRT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I gave the old Sako .220 Swift to my youngest son a few years ago. He's grown pretty attached to it, and has taken a few big game animals, and a good number of coyotes with it.

Barrel number nine will be a Bartlein, chambered in .22 Creed. He's sending it in this March.
Glad to see he's keeping the rifle going. Slightly bummed he's not sticking with the Swift, but get it.

That's some major league baseball hair!! Practices here are going in earnest. Best part of summer...baseball.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
Admitting to use of the 22 on deer would be a crime in this state. Even possession while hunting for deer is a crime in This state.

Then move to Colorado where possession while hunting is just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've killed quite a few deer and antelope with a .22-250, but they were mostly from my high school and college days and they're on 35mm hard copies....I need to digitize them some day.

Of my recent 22 CF kills, I've put these pictures up here more than a few times, but what's once more?

Here's a Wyoming mule deer killed via vanilla .223 at about 80 yards with the 62 TSX. This instance had a "failed" bullet that didn't open correctly, but I honestly don't know if I hit a branch in front of the deer or if the bullet somehow was at fault.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know we're talking about deer here, so I apologize for throwing an antelope into the foray. Same 62 TSX load as above but at 558 yards. Zero fuss.
[Linked Image]

Here's a Montana mule deer that that took one shot from my .22 Hi-power at about 20 yards with a .228" Sisk (still a .22 CF right?). Not much of a test at 20 yards, but this buck didn't go anywhere but straight down.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One buck each with a .221 Fireball and .225 Win. Barnes original X in both, 45gr and 53gr respectively. I'm gonna try to bloody a .222 Rem Mag this coming season.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

What's fake about it.?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am more than a bit late to this party. But I have to thank Pat for sharing his wonderful pics and memories. There are some gorgeous mulies in those pics.

Originally Posted by Jevyod
I grew up being told that the 243 is marginal for deer, and a 22 caliber is only to be used in emergencies. I had always accepted that, and have been guilty of passing on the same information to others. (having never tried a 223) Several things have been making me rethink this, and I am seriously considering taking my 225 winchester deer hunting this fall. First, Big Stick has said a lot about 223 for hunting. And from what I have read, he can actually back his opinion up with experience. Second, I recently acquired P.O. Ackley's handbook for shooters and re-loaders. In volume 1 he has a chapter titled "Killing Power". In that chapter he talks pretty favorably about the 220 swift for deer. He also talks about using a 17 caliber for shooting wild burros. He does't exactly recommend a 17 caliber, but he expressed surprise at how well it performed.
So I would love to hear real world experience using a 22 centerfire rifle for deer. The good and the bad. If you have successes, it would be nice to know distance shot,bullet used, and how far the deer ran.
Ps. I do live in Pa, so 22 centerfire rifles are legal here. So lets hear it, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Ps 2. Lets not turn this into bashing other peoples choices and experiences, if you can't share experience with small centerfire rifles, keep your opinion to yourself. I want this to be a good informational discussion ( I know its a stretch on here).

Lots of talk on this thread about bullets, as there should be. Someone here once said bullets matter more than headstamps.

Shooting a 225 Win w/ a 14 inch twist barrel, I heartily recommend the Hornady 60 gr spire point for deer. I have burned thousands of them in a couple 22-250s over 34.3 gr of 3031 at 3600 fps.

Your 225 will not make 3600 fps, but my old manuals show loads up to 3450 to 3500 fps which will stabilize the Hornady 60 sp. (but 14 inch will not stabilize the Nosler 60 gr ballistic tip.)

I do not have Pat's record of game killed with a 22. I only shot one mule deer with a 22-250, at about 200 yds. It ran a bit over 80 yds after the shot, just like dozens and dozens of mulies I have seen heart shot with the 30-06. The only difference being, the '06 is likely to leave an exit wound and a better blood trail.

Dressing the deer showed the entire thorassic cavity pulverized. One lung was collapsed into a ball of tissue smaller than the heart. The heart had several slices through it like it had been cut with a knife. The aorta was decimated. And there was a large bruise on the inside of the opposite ribs, but no exit wound.

A 22 cal w/ varmint bullets would not be my first choice to try to break the pelvis with an ass shot. But it will excel with any head, neck, or broadside heart shot.

Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've killed quite a few deer and antelope with a .22-250, but they were mostly from my high school and college days and they're on 35mm hard copies....I need to digitize them some day.

Of my recent 22 CF kills, I've put these pictures up here more than a few times, but what's once more?

Here's a Wyoming mule deer killed via vanilla .223 at about 80 yards with the 62 TSX. This instance had a "failed" bullet that didn't open correctly, but I honestly don't know if I hit a branch in front of the deer or if the bullet somehow was at fault.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know we're talking about deer here, so I apologize for throwing an antelope into the foray. Same 62 TSX load as above but at 558 yards. Zero fuss.

Here's a Montana mule deer that that took one shot from my .22 Hi-power at about 20 yards with a .228" Sisk (still a .22 CF right?). Not much of a test at 20 yards, but this buck didn't go anywhere but straight down.

What rifle is that? What power swfa?

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Cbeard, by your own admission you don't have experience with them, yet somehow you judge them lacking despite the first hand evidence to the contrary. You're repeating the same baseless wives-tale with nothing but your gut-feeling to back it up.

I challenge your assumption that reports would be skewed to the positive. I believe anyone who lost a deer with a .223 would be shouting from the rooftops how unsuitable the caliber was (of course blaming the caliber, not the shot). The reason they're not is because it WORKS. It's easy to shoot well, and good shots kill deer.

I'd wager (now into MY baseless assumption) that MANY more deer are lost from poor shots from 30-06, 300 WM, etc than are lost by underperforming .223.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Am I the only member of this august group who has killed deer with a .22 Savage Hi Power? I have a weakness for cartridges designed by Charles Newton and have killed deer with most: .22 Savage Hi Power, .250-3000 Savage, .300 Savage. .256 Newton. The first deer I "harvested" with a Hi Power was facing me at about 80 yards. I shot standing, unsupported and hit him right in the middle of the chest. Field dressing revealed that the 70 grain .228" bullet had turned the lungs to soup and the buck never moved out of his tracks. I can recommend that cartridge, as well as all the other Newton designs unequivocally. (I have a particular weakness for the .256 Newton, perhaps because I have several 1916 Newton rifles in that caliber.)

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,238
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.