-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No way a single unit can accommodate my diverse needs.

1Minute
GB1

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I am not sure but I have some 308 based shooters that will get the nod. .308 and .358 seem to be my main choices. I can't decide for sure. I like the Scout rifle from Steyr but also like the 358 Winchester in Savage 99, Remington 7600, and BLR. So I would have to make a decision here. My 358 whitetail kills have been DRTs. Some of the .308s were as well. For a choice I like all of the above. The cases are readily available and so are bullets. I can cast the 180 gr WFN for the revolver AND the 358 Winchesters. All good for a whitetail here in Misery. Never had to take a shot farther than 100 yards and most were less than 50. If the shot is longer get closer. And never pass on a close shot when the deer says "Shoot me!". Be Well, Rustyzipper.

It’s pretty darn hard to beat a .35 caliber for versatility.....if you hand load! I always thought that a .350 Griffin and Howe Magnum or a .358 STA may be the near perfect cartridge. Though, not really practical for foreign hunts! memtb

I have to admit I have never heard of .358 STA. After a 20min google session I know I must have one!!!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Windfall
Filaman, That post 64 M70 of yours wasn't an abomination to Elmer Kieth, at least how he wrote it up back in 1965 when I was reading every word he wrote in G&A magazine. I had scraped together $125.00 apple picking and lawn mowing and just knew that I needed a .30-06 and an Elmer recommended post 64 M70. That rifle kicked me out from under my hat and bruised my cheek with every shot. It had a free floated channel that was huge and pressed slick varnished over "checkering" that was terrible and worse than nothing at all. Elmer did me wrong and I've held it against him ever since. It was a post 64 and it handled like a post too. What an absolute bone that thing was. Insult to injury, my neighbor Frank was a aging gun guy and as a kid I would go over to his house and clean his firearms and listen to his hunting stories. Knowing that I had been saving for a new deer rifle, Frank offered me his mint condition pre-war M70 .30-06 for that same $125.00 and as an ignorant kid, I declined. Winchester might have gotten their act together some time after 1965, but they sure missed the mark with that new "improved" M70.

Yeah I'm agreeing with you for the fit and finish and the kicking part. I tell people my .270 kicks like an Arkansas Mule and they look at me like, "You Wimp!" But then if they shoot it they say Dayum! That thing does kick! Five rounds on the bench and I'm ready to put that thing up. But while hunting I don't notice it. But like I said that thing is accurate and I love the trigger. I adjusted the trigger about 35 years ago and I haven't touched it since. It's about 2 1/2 pounds and breaks like glass. And it's light to carry and is otherwise a joy to hunt with so I think I'm gonna keep it, LOL!!!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’m in North Dakota which means hunting deep coulees with thick brush to wide open prairie where you can turn 360 degrees and not see a tree anywhere in the horizon! I have hunted in spots where I shot a deer at 8 yards into the trees one year and the next year one across the open field in the opposite direction 330 yards away!

So whats the best rifle combo for me, here; a .25-06 with a variable Power Redfield scope mounted on an H&R break action rifle. I had a bolt action Winchester Model 70 with a BOSS, in .25-06 and a 6-24x40mm scope, but that was a beast humping all day.

The .25-06 works for coyotes too!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tikka T3 stainless lite in 6.5 x 55, for deer and coyotes.

Last edited by Old Ornery; 05/01/20.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In my immediate region, my "rifle" is a Winchester M1300 12 ga. pump. No centerfire rifles allowed for deer in NJ. Fully rifled, fiber optic open sights. Bought it used at my LGS a few years ago. Took it to the range, fired three rounds, cheap Federal sabots, at 50 yds. made a very small cloverleaf w/ all holes touching. Couldn't believe my eyes.

For those too infrequent out-of-state hunts, there's a Ruger M77 tang-safety in .257 Roberts wearing a McMillan stock.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I am not sure but I have some 308 based shooters that will get the nod. .308 and .358 seem to be my main choices. I can't decide for sure. I like the Scout rifle from Steyr but also like the 358 Winchester in Savage 99, Remington 7600, and BLR. So I would have to make a decision here. My 358 whitetail kills have been DRTs. Some of the .308s were as well. For a choice I like all of the above. The cases are readily available and so are bullets. I can cast the 180 gr WFN for the revolver AND the 358 Winchesters. All good for a whitetail here in Misery. Never had to take a shot farther than 100 yards and most were less than 50. If the shot is longer get closer. And never pass on a close shot when the deer says "Shoot me!". Be Well, Rustyzipper.

It’s pretty darn hard to beat a .35 caliber for versatility.....if you hand load! I always thought that a .350 Griffin and Howe Magnum or a .358 STA may be the near perfect cartridge. Though, not really practical for foreign hunts! memtb

I have to admit I have never heard of .358 STA. After a 20min google session I know I must have one!!!

I played with one 25+ years ago on a Brevex Magnum Mauser action and a 24" barrel. It performed like a .340 Weatherby in terms of velocities gained per bullet weight.
The only thing I didn't like was the shoulder was squarish and tended to hang up too much for my liking when feeding, but that could be a singular detriment relating to that particular rifle so being a custom barreled action, may not be representative for other rifles so chambered. The cartridge was also quite accurate.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Same one for the last 40 years.. M77Ruger 270win..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mainly reach for a Kimber 6 Creed on my hunts. Lots of folks hunting with stainless Ruger M77s in some flavor though.

Yup.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
First gun that I grab is my 98 Mauser 30-06, second is usually my .338 wm, in 700 action. .223 Savage 200, aftermarket trigger, and stock goes everywhere my truck goes. Rifles for my region! Others go along sometimes, just because they need some attention!

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My go to rifle in Pennsylvania was 257 Roberts, current rifle is a Shaw Mark VII with a Leupold 4-12. From crows and groundhogs to coyotes and then deer it did it all. Now in WY it is still my go to rifle for most applications except elk, and even then I keep telling myself that it I need to take it out for cow elk with a good 120 partition load.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I prefer hunting the desert here in Washington. It's where I gre up and is familiar. An old beat up Remington 700 ADL still in the cheap factory stock with a 3rd hand used Leupold 3-9 is my go-to meat gun. Its ugly and there is nothing "fancy" about the .30-06 but it's such a familiar setup to me I trust it completely. 400 yards isnt a hard shot with that gun though I prefer getting closet just for the challenge.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mgorm16640
My go to rifle in Pennsylvania was 257 Roberts, current rifle is a Shaw Mark VII with a Leupold 4-12. From crows and groundhogs to coyotes and then deer it did it all. Now in WY it is still my go to rifle for most applications except elk, and even then I keep telling myself that it I need to take it out for cow elk with a good 120 partition load.

mgorm16640
First .....Welcome to “the fire”! I also, noticed that we’re neighbors! I hope you have an opportunity for that cow! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

HawkCreek, I see you’ve also got a low post count......welcome to “the fire”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JonnyGumbo

Howdy Jonny, I see that you are another newcomer and from my home state. Welcome to “the fire”! memtb

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JonnyGumbo

Here you go

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 05/12/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Winchester .280 Fwt I picked up last fall. Real nice wood, phone camera does not do it justice.
Took a buck with 140 Barnes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jay, truly a beautiful rifle......too pretty to hunt with! smile memtb

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks memtb. I know that feeling and used to think that way but I'm at point now where I use them all. I was just keeping them "like new" for someone else to have/enjoy down the road. Life truly is to short to hunt with an ugly rifle. I now look at the marks on my hunting rifles as memories of hunts and character added.
jay

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.