Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jerry. Duly noted.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Not green at all. It''s been seasoning in a warehouse for over a year.

1 year per inch of thickness is a good place to start for hardwood drying to usable moisture levels. At least that's what the big boys down on the corner told me.

My Bud said the slab has been drying for almost 3 years.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just checked Ebay- - - - -several pages of jointer planes there, with prices anywhere from reasonable to outrageous.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not green at all. It''s been seasoning in a warehouse for over a year.

Alright, I wouldn't assume that the MC is going to be where you want it but you pays your money, you takes your chances.

As far as planes go traditionally you'd be looking at a jack/fore, jointer, and smoother. Using Bailey pattern numbers and keeping it simple for you you'd be looking at a 5 (jack), 7 (jointer), 4 (smoother). Yes there are other sizes - those will be the more plentiful/cheaper iterations of each. If you are just looking to dimension and flatten and want to sand then dump the smoother and go with a jack and jointer. You could do both with just a No. 7 but you'll be in for a workout. No. 6 could sub in a pinch but its a tweener (big for a jack, small for a jointer). You'll want a cambered blade in the jack. Gently eased corners on the jointer to reduce tracks. Brands to look for are Stanley (Bailey pattern, Bedrocks will be $$$), Millers Falls Types 2-4 (Type 1's will be $$$ and type 5 will be junk) Millers Falls has different numbering system - in this case you'd want a No. 14, 22, and 9, Keen Kutter K or KK lines (K being a Bedrock Type 1-4 clone, KK being an Ohio Tools pattern), Record if you spot a cheapy. You'll need winding sticks and a primer on how to use them or you will likely create more problems than you fix.

If you've never used hand planes you're looking at a steep learning curve with the size and material (fiddleback) you chose. Interlocking grain is going to educate you quickly on the importance of sharp blades and you will struggle with tearout. Good luck.

Last edited by hillestadj; 04/05/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
hillestadj: The maple slab has been drying for 3 years. Thanks for the planer advice and recommendations. I've used planers before, but not well. I definitely need to watch a few videos and lots of practice. What are winding sticks?

- Del Gue
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Kevin, I have a couple of hand planes I'd loan you, if you'd like.
Probably dull, as I haven't used them since I got out of the trades ~ 26 years ago - but still usable.
Also have an electric plane (small) that would be helpful. Let me know.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Mark. I will let you know, but it may be a little while before I get the slab. Please give the Warden my regards.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/05/20.

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'd find a local cabinet shop and run it thru their drum sander......

This, especially for wood with lots of figure and changing grain. For a finish, Watco brand Danish oil is a very nice, low maintenance ‘in the wood’ finish. Wipe on poly provides a bit more protection but does have a sheen to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps we should start a dedicated "Tool" forum.

Great idea ......... We have a few members (past & present) that would certainly qualify for that forum.

I might even look into it myself. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
hillestadj: The maple slab has been drying for 3 years. Thanks for the planer advice and recommendations. I've used planers before, but not well. I definitely need to watch a few videos and lots of practice. What are winding sticks?

Wood dried in a kiln is dried over a very short period of time (compared to air drying) and 4/4 red oak can be dried in just a few days (vacuum kiln). 8/4 bigleaf maple will take over a month in a typical kiln, but obviously well short of two years. Also, the move from wet side Oregon to west Texas will make a lot more water decide to leave. Or a move from eastern Oregon to CC Texas might leave the wood soaking up water. The drier it gets and the longer it stays that way the better.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by johnn
For a table use a router box, made one for doing burls... works well and you can make it flat, which will be tricky with a power plane. One thing I think would be worthwhile is to invest in a proper bit. I used a 3/4 or 1 inch straight bit, but a planning bit has the cutters set on a steep angle and I think it would produce a smoother finish.

What he said. You will need to flatten each side to remove all of the twist of cupping that has occurred when drying. Getting both sides flat must be done before any smoothing or sanding. A protective finish is a must use wipe on poly. I used Arm-R-Seal on a table I recently finished.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Art: Thanks for the info. This particular maple slab was air-dried, as are all my Bud’s slabs.

Moe: Thanks. I will be building a router box and sled at some point as I’ve got several projects that will require one. Hopefully not necessary on this project as my OR Bud is going to get it planed on a gigantic planer on his end, prior to shipment.

- Del Gue
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hillestadj: . What are winding sticks?

Winding sticks are nothing more than two thin pieces of wood that are very straight. One will usually have some contrasting wood on the top edge. They are usually 1/2" - 3/4" thick x 2-3" wide and 24-36" long. You lay them on their edge, with one at both ends. You squat down and look along the top edges to see if they are both parallel. If not, you will see where the high side is and know where to hog off more material, usually with a scrub plane, or a #5 with a cambered blade. I keep 2 #5s under my bench. One with a blade set up for smoothing, the other with a cambered blade for fast material removal.

Other items can be used as winding sticks. Angle iron with one spray painted a different color would work in a pinch.

Last edited by scoony; 04/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks scoony.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Art: Thanks for the info. This particular maple slab was air-dried, as are all my Bud’s slabs.

Moe: Thanks. I will be building a router box and sled at some point as I’ve got several projects that will require one. Hopefully not necessary on this project as my OR Bud is going to get it planed on a gigantic planer on his end, prior to shipment.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with air-dried lumber done properly. Kiln-drying does kill bugs but that is a minor issue in your case. By definition all it does is produce dry lumber faster "with an acceptable level of degrade."

One thing to watch out for since it is going to be planed in OR and shipped to you... Immediately upon arrival you need to put it on a flat surface, stickered, and put a LOT of weight on it for as long as possible that is to stop any movement as a result of the change in local conditions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Art: My OR Bud stores his slabs in a warehouse, where he puts runners down, then a slab, then more runners, then another slab, etc. in order to increase air-flow. He does put a lot of weight on top as well. Not sure what he uses for weight, but he said something about a bunch of fat chicks. I'm uncertain if the fat chicks are used for ballast or for some other activity he has planned.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/06/20.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Art: My OR Bud stores his slabs in a warehouse, where he puts runners down, then a slab, then more runners, then another slab, etc. in order to increase air-flow. He does put a lot of weight on top as well. Not sure what use uses for weight, but he said something about a bunch of fat chicks. I'm uncertain if the fat chicks are used for ballast or for some other activity he has planned.

The problem is not on his end... problem is on your end when the wood either takes on or loses water... even seasonally in a single location. If you cannot find enough fat chicks use your bullet casting lead stores!
wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The problem is not on his end... problem is on your end when the wood either takes on or loses water... even seasonally in a single location. If you cannot find enough fat chicks use your bullet casting lead stores!
wink

ok. I will put it on the concrete floor in the garage w/ several runners and weight on top for a few a few months - or as long as it takes me to begin the project. But I draw the line at fat chicks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/06/20.

- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kevin,
I went back and saw your measurements just now..
I checked the references in the shop but didn't find anything as helpful as the guys here have provided..
Another source for a large plane might be a high school or vocational school wood shop..

Re drying:
I saw a pretty good special on Japanese furniture crafting a year or two ago. They generally air dry but they will store wood for a very long time.. in the project in the special they were working with a piece that had been drying for 50 or eighty years... but that is for precision joinery with a focus on dimensional stability and perfect 90 degree angles..
If you have ever seen a peg fit chair leg get loose with age many time is is a function of the wood continuing to dry. Harder wood typically has smaller tubes (phlyem?) The smaller the tube the longer it takes to draw moisture out of it....as the wood dries it shrinks, but you probably know that
Good luck!
I look forward to photos of your project.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lots of different "tubes" in the wood itself... phylem is not the name of any of them. Phloem is part of the living bark but not translatable to the wood itself because the cells generally die long before they become wood.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,718
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.