B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
First the rifle AR15 233 Wylde, 1-4 swfa mil/mil
[Linked Image]
Target at 100yds
[Linked Image]
First target 75gr hornady, 25.8 leverevolution. 7 shots right in there and 3 flyers. I seen this happen a lot with lever I have no idea why.
[Linked Image]
Second target 77gr Sierra tmk, varget, this is typical of this load not bad for 4x at 100yds
[Linked Image]

Continued

I had to turn my laptop on its side to see the pics.. grin How did you shoot? Average moa? If you are getting weird flyers with lever, is it really a good option? I will run a show accurate load, vs a fast inaccurate load every day and twice on sunday. I hate flyers buddy. Especially when they are "weird" flyers...

Yeah I’m doing this on my iPhone and it’s just how these pictures load for some reason. I don’t use lever much anymore. I just loaded these up cause there is a thread talking about lever. If your banging steel at 600yds and don’t give a chit about groups then lever is your powder.

Ok, you list 77gr OTM, have you tried the 77TMK? That bullet is a shooting sumbitch man. My rifles love that bullet... I don't show you guys all of my groups with that bullet in my other rifles, but it sure flys true....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I edited the picture I got the tmk picture in there now. Just want reiterate this is 4x scope as well.. I thought about putting a 10x on it I said nah. I like to see what its doing on 10 shot strings, and 4x. What some don’t realize we have 22 minutes to shoot 20rds at 600yds that’s including sighters sometimes I do 2 sighters sometimes I do 4 sighters. I first thought 22 minutes was nothing boy have I come down the stretch almost out of time. Lol

Last edited by 79S; 04/05/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I edited the picture I got the tmk picture in there now. Just want reiterate this is 4x scope as well.. I thought about putting a 10x on it I said nah. I like to see what its doing on 10 shot strings, and 4x. What some don’t realize we have 22 minutes to shoot 20rds at 600yds that’s including sighters sometimes I do 2 sighters sometimes I do 4 sighters. I first thought 22 minutes was nothing boy have I come down the stretch almost out of time. Lol

We do slow fire competition and its 1 shot per minute here. 20 rounds would be 20 minutes. At 600 yards, you have to be more observant of the wind and shoot when you think its right. 22 minutes is tight, if you want to make those shots count.... Im sure rost can do it in 3, but he's superman... grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found 3 boxes of the 69gr TMK and they have a pretty damn good BC for 69gr bullet. Might try them out to use for our 100yd reduced matches. I need to find some more varget too.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also some might say the flyers could be run out, it isn’t I checked the run out on the 75 hornady otm and all good..

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I found 3 boxes of the 69gr TMK and they have a pretty damn good BC for 69gr bullet. Might try them out to use for our 100yd reduced matches. I need to find some more varget too.

Hey J, keep in mind, that you don't have to run them screening hot if you are only shooting 100 yards. Just find the most consistent load and go with it...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Also some might say the flyers could be run out, it isn’t I checked the run out on the 75 hornady otm and all good..

I know you, you've probably messed with oal too. Maybe rost can help with some accurizing tips for the AR platform? I think I remember him talking about bedding an ar barrel or something? I don't know exactly what is involved, but it sure would be nice to have some sort of a sticky in regards to accurizing an ar. I'm used to tuning up a bolt action, but haven't messed with ar's enough to know what it takes to make them tick........

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I know you, you've probably messed with oal too. Maybe rost can help with some accurizing tips for the AR platform? I think I remember him talking about bedding an ar barrel or something? I don't know exactly what is involved, but it sure would be nice to have some sort of a sticky in regards to accurizing an ar. I'm used to tuning up a bolt action, but haven't messed with ar's enough to know what it takes to make them tick........

It’s just that lever powder, I shot them with RL15, they shot fine. I’m not losing no sleep over it. I just want people to see and what to expect with lever. I do know some use cci400 maybe that helps?? But I found the best primer to use with lever is WSR primer. Yeah you will get the usual folks saying don’t use the WSR primer it’s soft blah blah.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Hey J, keep in mind, that you don't have to run them screening hot if you are only shooting 100 yards. Just find the most consistent load and go with it...

Yep that’s why I use varget great powder can’t find it. I was using RL15 with my 75 hornady bthp for reduced 100yd matches, but I can’t even find that either. I do have 2-3 lbs of AR-comp so might have to mess with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

It’s just that lever powder, I shot them with RL15, they shot fine. I’m not losing no sleep over it. I just want people to see and what to expect with lever. I do know some use cci400 maybe that helps?? But I found the best primer to use with lever is WSR primer. Yeah you will get the usual folks saying don’t use the WSR primer it’s soft blah blah.

Hey J, I think guys think the 400 primer is soft too. There was a thread on that here recently, but I don't know what rabbit hole that went down. i know I've burned up fu cking thousands of them and never had any problems...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Yep that’s why I use varget great powder can’t find it. I was using RL15 with my 75 hornady bthp for reduced 100yd matches, but I can’t even find that either. I do have 2-3 lbs of AR-comp so might have to mess with it.

I'd be all over ar comp if I were you. I've found it to be excellent powder. It runs through my old RCBS uni flo like water. I load all of my 223, 308 loads with it. Load 300 rounds per hour with my old single stage using that powder. No need for Varget becasue it hangs up in my powder measure and I hate weighing every single 223 load. Its not worth it to me...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's my AR load that I fired in my bolt gun. The shame is, that bolt rifle is capable of far better accuracy, if I only worked up a good load for it.. I like keeping chidt simple though. If it shoots sub moa, I'm happy... I'd take ar comp over varget any day of the week...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a digital scale and it’s pretty damn accurate I still have my 10-10 scale as well I periodically check loads and that digital scale very consistent. So using varget not much of a problem for me.

Last edited by 79S; 04/05/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No need to get Varget to the absolute tenth grain. As long as you catch the bridges, it'll shoot great. Even if you have a 3 or 4 tenth spread.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

We do slow fire competition and its 1 shot per minute here. 20 rounds would be 20 minutes. At 600 yards, you have to be more observant of the wind and shoot when you think its right. 22 minutes is tight, if you want to make those shots count.... Im sure rost can do it in 3, but he's superman... grin

No way in three. Gotta wait on pit service. And its fairly rare that I would wait on the wind unless its a total flip flop or such... I keep shooting and dialing as I see it change in the spotting scope. I was no speed shooter. Rare I could finish in less than 10-14 minutes. OTOH I may not shoot for the first 5 if we are about to get a change I'll wait it out and pour on the coals. I'd much rather shoot in increasing wind than dying...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great shooting BSA, I need to re-shoot this challenge with my new 6.5 Swede.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

Bedding. Fairly easy. Get an accuwedge or o rings to put up pressure on the gun when assembled. Take apart. Rough up the upper where it bears, make sure you release agent the lower, then bedding compound like steel bed on the upper and lightly assemble and push the pins through under the wedge tension really easy.

Let it set up and trim up later.

Bedding makes almost no difference at all in accuracy though. FWIW. I'd waste time on it as a high master in the sport, but not much time...

One of these days I'd like to shoot those guns off a rest just to see if I do any better with them and those loads or not. I doubt it though. But you don't know till you try it.

Heck I'm so rusty at shooting I probably would shoot worse. I know my iron sight groups on here from how many years ago sure sucked. I aint any better lets just say.

I'd check runout of loaded rounds.

The other thing as mentioned like Varget, shoot Audettes at longer ranges. Then shoot test groups from the first node to start touching to when it starts to open. Pick from there, I usually end up around the middle.

Then the best thing for your brain to get it, put 10 down with the charge. Put a new target up over that one. Put 10 down with .3 less. New target over that, put 10 down with .3 over... you'll get the idea when you pull the top 2 targets usually and look at the first one... few tenths does NOT matter if you have the right load.

Pull down accurate factory ammo like GMM... same same.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thanks buddy. I was hoping to not have to glass bed this ctr, but it is what it is. Your new rifle should be a tack driver. Good luck.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 79S

Bedding. Fairly easy. Get an accuwedge or o rings to put up pressure on the gun when assembled. Take apart. Rough up the upper where it bears, make sure you release agent the lower, then bedding compound like steel bed on the upper and lightly assemble and push the pins through under the wedge tension really easy.

Bedding makes almost no difference at all in accuracy though. FWIW. I'd waste time on it as a high master in the sport, but not much time...

One of these days I'd like to shoot those guns off a rest just to see if I do any better with them and those loads or not. I doubt it though. But you don't know till you try it.

Heck I'm so rusty at shooting I probably would shoot worse. I know my iron sight groups on here from how many years ago sure sucked. I aint any better lets just say.

The other thing as mentioned like Varget, shoot Audettes at longer ranges. Then shoot test groups from the first node to start touching to when it starts to open. Pick from there, I usually end up around the middle.

Then the best thing for your brain to get it, put 10 down with the charge. Put a new target up over that one. Put 10 down with .3 less. New target over that, put 10 down with .3 over... you'll get the idea when you pull the top 2 targets usually and look at the first one... few tenths does NOT matter if you have the right load.

I run accuwedge already..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 79S

I run accuwedge already..

I think a lot of us do, but some say it does nothing for accuracy. Ill keep running them though.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thanks buddy. I was hoping to not have to glass bed this ctr, but it is what it is. Your new rifle should be a tack driver. Good luck.

Ten-Fo, will be watching to see if it tightens it up a little, mines going to shoot a lot better after installing the Timney, I don't have a gauge, but feels like a crisp 1.5lbs or a bit less.

Trump Won!
Page 39 of 46 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,377
Posts18,506,628
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.