Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickBin
I notice no one has as of yet recommended that I load .45 ACP on my Rockchucker ... all I'd need is dies.

Saw a YouTube video of a guy loading handgun ammo on a single-stage. I'm thinking only in an emergency would I be compelled to pull the handle that many times per round.

Although I have a Dillon 450 (I think) I use it as a single stage....set up for .308, along with a couple of RCBS single stage presses. With the other single stage presses, I load 223, 300BO, 9mm, 380, 45acp with the capability to load 38/357 as well.

I decided several years ago that while I would not limit myself to a certain number of firearms, I would limit myself to what I will reload. So I limited myself to what I stock in supplies as well. Only have .223 and .30 caliber rifle projectiles in weights suitable for .308 and 300BO, only .355 caliber in weight suitable for .380 and 9mm and of course have to have stuff for .45acp. I love the idea of some other calibers, but I won't be purchasing a firearm for them as I don't buy factory ammo unless it is highly discounted!

So with a single stage loading say 9mm, I usually go through 3 die changes for one piece of brass........resize, flare, seat. These days I find that its more enjoyable to load a bunch to a stage of say.... sized, primed and flared then bag the brass for later powder and seating. I hand prime all my brass with a old Lee priming tool and I weigh every charge on a scale. I guess its a good thing I don't charge myself for labor as it would be a deep hole to climb out of!!

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never totaled the amount of money I've spent on reloading over the past 60+ years. I've upgraded equipment and now have
- 2 RCBS presses
- 3 scales.
- 26 sets of dies
- a number of case length/headspace gauges (Wilson)
- probably 40 loading manuals
- and plenty of other stuff.

Lot's of money invested, but it's been worth it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Really?

You guys cant save money by reloading?

That’s what I tell my wife, math isn’t her strong suit laugh

Same and same..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick, you own a website. Order multiple progressives so you don't have to change over.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Damn, I thought that was the ransom amount to be paid to free Flave.....

Bet if we took up a collection we could get that easily to pay Rick to keep him banned.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1) Your in Kommiformia. Better to stock up and set up now for reloading before the Komunistas in Sactown go after that next.

2) Get A C&R 03ffl and buy ammo direct to your door.

3) See one and two.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
1) Your in Kommiformia. Better to stock up and set up now for reloading before the Komunistas in Sactown go after that next.

3) See one and two.

Fat

re: #2, is that really all I have to do? Any caliber? Not just for C&R stuff?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Rick, I don't know which progressive reloading machine you are looking at, but if you just concentrate on reloading handgun calibers, the Dillion Square Deal B would probably be a lot less than the number you just quoted. On the other hand if you want to reloading rifle calibers too, just go ahead and jump into the dep end of the pool and get a Dillion 750XL, configured how you want it. i don't think that it will get cheaper in the future. Thirty years ago I chose a Dillion 650 and I have not regretted that choice, I load 9mm and 5.56mm on it. Regarding the rifle calibers, for cartridges like 300 Win mag or 257 Wby, do you really need to crank out hundreds of rounds of ammo, the main reason for using a progressive reloader or would a single stage or turret press suffice for those cartridges.

Yeah for rifle cartridges I think I opened the door with the .223. Can't imagine needing to reload in those quantities for .257 Wby, or .300 WM under normal circumstances. And yes, all my precision stuff will remain on the Rockchucker either way. But at some point, if all I need are dies ... I dunno.

Originally Posted by Quak
With the availability of cheap steel cases Soviet ammo reloading pistol makes no sense imho.

The Russian stuff while a bit dirty is very reliable and incredibly accurate. Who wants to chase pistol brass around anyways...

Duly noted. Handguns are the primary reason I am contemplating this move, and it's not just about saving money, but nevertheless, duly noted.

I will have to be a good citizen report you to LA county sheriffs for violating the state law.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 04/06/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Damn, I thought that was the ransom amount to be paid to free Flave.....

Bet if we took up a collection we could get that easily to pay Rick to keep him banned.

Sounds good and paddler and northman and starman and the rest
Of the trolls.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That and Kommiefornias Certificate of Eligibility.

You'll be giving the Feds and State a lot of private info but if your buying andselling guns you've already handed over a ton of private info.

Couple hundred bucks over several years to maintain the licensing as well.

If your burning thru a lot of ammo a month it makes sense. Not to mention theother license benefits if you like to collect firearms.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I make my own 300 BO brass, I can make 300-400 an hour, I also have tool to attach to it to roll out primer crimps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't consider myself a penny pincher, but that's the number I get when, after a lot of research, I place the items I think I am going to need to get set up to reload a single caliber, .45 ACP, in the shopping cart of a popular reloading manufacturer.- - - - - Somebody pull me off the ledge, or push me over, please.
Not in a position to do either, but have to say that your number seems staggering to an old guy who started reloading in 1962 for two purposes - quest for high accuracy in a rifle as well as economics. A beginning shooter with an 1895 Mauser in 7x57 and a first-time hunter with no skills and high hopes. A "C" style press was about $10, dies at about $3.75, powder at $1,50 a pound, and 140 grain Speer or Sierra bullets not much for a box. All relative to the value of today's dollar, of course. Didn't need brass - just pulled those 175 grain round nose bullets from the Win ammo that came with the rifle (3 boxes) - and paid Sears & Roebuck $14 dollars plus US mail postage for the rifle and ammo. That little beginning led to a load of enjoyment and many, many different firearms/cartridges over the next 58 years - but still don't spend a bunch on reloading. Well, my lovely wife did give me a nice automatic powder scale for Christmas a few years back - still trying to figure out how to make the most of it - it does not have a knocker on the side. Yes - times and values have changed quite a bunch - good shooting, not so much. Come to think of it - go ahead and jump.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad

3) See one and two.

Fat

Geno

Not quite Geno

An FFL type 1 or C&R , plus a Certificate of Elegability is required to buy mail order ammo in California

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hemiallen

3) See one and two.

Fat

Geno

Not quite Geno

An FFL type 1 or C&R , plus a Certificate of Elegability is required to buy mail order ammo in California

It is my understanding they do not give FFLs to folks in residential neighborhoods and such in most of CA...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

3) See one and two.

Fat

Geno

Not quite Geno

It is my understanding they do not give FFLs to folks in residential neighborhoods and such in most of CA...

Sitka,

I do believe we here in Cali can get the C&R FFL still, and since it's a Curio and Relic, I do believe we can get them here in komiefornistan homes.

Seems I need to check on that cert. of eligibility though.

FatCity, I don't go through that much ammo a year, but you know the situation here. If I want to do things all legal eagle like, I have to drive to Redding to get much of a selection. There's one place in Burney that has an OK assortment, but they seem relatively high price. Our Ace Hdwr has some also, but not a very good selection. And there's that price thing over here.

Thanks guys for all the info.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I notice no one has as of yet recommended that I load .45 ACP on my Rockchucker ... all I'd need is dies.

Saw a YouTube video of a guy loading handgun ammo on a single-stage. I'm thinking only in an emergency would I be compelled to pull the handle that many times per round.

i have loaded a lot of 45acp on a rockchucker, it's just slow.
i still use it for limited amounts.
what i do tend to do is use the dillon to load a bunch at one time. an example would be two or three thousand rounds.
i have some dillon equipment but dies and stuff are also used with the rockchucker.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

3) See one and two.

Fat

Geno

Not quite Geno

i had to look up that certificate of eligibility, has to be renewed every year. 71bucks to obtain, and 22bucks a year renewal.

i wish i knew out of curiousity how many people sneak across the border into arizona to buy ammo?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Especially when suppliers like Targetsports and Davids offer very good prices and free shipping for purchasing by the case....But I did buy the Dillon 650 and all components just in case that changes smile.
Originally Posted by EdM
I handload an azzload of stuff but I do not load 9mm, 40, 45 ACP and 7.62x39 these days.

Originally Posted by High_Noon
No longer is reloading about monetary savings, rather, it's about tailoring a specific load to a specific firearm to produce the desired results. That and the stress-relieving value reloading can provide.

Just a guess...

Foster Co Ax has been a great purchase along with 2 Rock Chucker presses for back up.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I load just cause I like doing it. I probably ain’t saving cshit

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.