Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They have a greater a much greater need for an icebreaking fleet then we do. That said we have a 1/2 dozen scheduled sometime this decade.

Not if we want to protect our interests in the Arctic and not cede them to Russia and Chiner. The Russians are way ahead of us there. & yeah, I've been hearing about America's plan to build more ice-breakers for years and years, but I've yet to see them begin construction - I'll believe it when I see it.

Would you trust a Nuclear Russian design whether an Icebreaker, Sub or a power station in the middle of nowhere:? grin

I'd sure as Hell trust a Russian nuke sub/ice-breaker over a Chinese one. But America clearly has the upper hand in nuke sub technology and reliability. I'd also take a nuculear Russian Ice-Breaker over a US one any day - America's newest ice breaker is over 40 years old and it's literally falling apart. The Ruskies have been building them for a long time now. They have 41 operational & more under construction. We have 2 and have yet to begin construction on another.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/06/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by High_Noon

[quote=Oldelkhunter]Would you trust a Nuclear Russian design whether an Icebreaker, Sub or a power station in the middle of nowhere:? grin

I'd sure as Hell trust a Russian nuke sub/ice-breaker over a Chinese one. But America clearly has the upper hand in nuke sub technology and reliability. I'd also take a nuculear Russian Ice-Breaker over a US one any day - America's newest ice breaker is over 40 years old and it's literally falling apart. The Ruskies have been building them for a long time now. They have 41 operational & more under construction. We have 2 and have yet to begin construction on another.

Here is a link looks like a contract to me. Do you really think the Russians would try to take Alaska ? That's pretty funny if you think that.

link

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I said the Arctic, not Alaska. & all of that 3/4 B $ was diverted to the Southern Border wall.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I said the Arctic, not Alaska.

Tell me again how many Fortune 500 companies are headed to Russia to use them as their manufacturing base of cheap, quality labor and infrastructure?

That’s a loaded question, High Noon.
No offense meant by it.

We use the Chinese to launch our satellites.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I said the Arctic, not Alaska. & that 3/4 B $ was stripped and diverted to the Southern Border wall.

Still a contract for 6 Icebreakers which you said were not going to be built.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oldelkhunter & Old_Toot: Read my previous posts again. I never said new US Icebreakers were not going to be built. I said they’ve been talking about building new ones for years and years (in fact, decades) and I’ve yet to see any built. I said that I would believe it when I see it.

Granted, Trump has placed a priority on building new Icebreakers, but the funds allotted by Congress for this endeavor have been diverted to the Southern Border Wall and the Icebreaker project, once again, stagnates. Whether or not Trump is able to restart and fund this program remains to be seen. I certainly hope he is successful.

Look Fellers, I'm not defending Russia. I never said these Icebreakers were not going to be built. I said the US has been talking about building new ice breaker(s) for years and years, but we've yet to begin construction. There's a big difference in those two statements.

You made a statement that “the Russians have never built anything worth a schitt.” I was simply pointing out that this statement is incorrect as the Ruskies have indeed built an enviable fleet of ice-breakers and that they have certain other technological capabilities, especially in the aerospace industry. This conversation is not about Fortune 500 companies flocking to Russia to conduct business – I certainly never said or implied that – I’m not sure where that contention came from. But if you look at it closely, there's many Russian Oligarchs in a variety of industries in Russia - but that's a different discussion. I also never stated or implied that the Russians would try to take Alaska – rather I said clearly that the ARCTIC (Antarctica) was at stake.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And Helicopters?

- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
And Helicopters?

The only Russian chopper that I’ve ever flown in was in interior China to remote locations. It was owned by China Southern Air.

I’ve flown in many all over this world and many times. That’s the only Russian bird I’ve ever been in.

I’m sure other governments have purchased Russian choppers for their various needs because they are cheap to buy, comparatively.

If you know of more that are used in commercial fleets, list them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't, hence the question mark. Just always thought they looked cool in the movies, Like Rambo 2.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/07/20.

- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't, hence the question mark. Just always thought they looked cool in the movies, Like Rambo 2.

That’s the type I flew in doing site evaluations in interior China. Looked the same.

If I understood the Chinese pilot correctly, I think that he was trying to explain the controls functions were pretty much opposite from, say, a Sikorsky or Aero Postele (sp).

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool that you flew in one.

- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Cool that you flew in one.

Thing hauls azz.

I’d bet Digital Dan knows a bit about these birds. Quite a bit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In reading the previous comments about lawyers, regulation and US manufacturing, consider the following anecdote from my recent past. My wife bought a kitchen step stool for the new place a couple weeks ago. It was painted bright orange and fit neatly in a little cubby where she wanted to store it. Upon its arrival, she was quite proud that her measuring worked out. My wife pulled the step stool out and handed it to me. I opened it. It felt sturdy, but was of course made in China. I stepped on the first step and its steel frame started to close under the pressure. With minimal inspection, I identified the stool had a glaring design flaw resulting from the orientation of the stool’s two steps to one another and their hinge points. The stool proved to be inherently dangerous by design. Yet, someone went through the process of manufacturing, packaging, shipping, marketing and delivering it to the final user. I was flabbergasted. It was sold on Amazon by an outfit called louisladders. Through their communications it appeared they were over seas. Their customer service response seemed aimed at wearing me out, before providing a shipping label for the stools return. The stool cost all of $35. I’d have been well ahead to just throw the thing out, but I sincerely didn’t want someone to pull it out of the trash and use it for fear they’d get hurt.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have a Chinese run economy because "bi partisan coalitions" in congress decided we needed to be a service oriented country not industrial. That's why you can't find anything made in the USA. Dems and Repubs alike gave our factories to China and Pacific Rim countries. That has to change. When the time comes to crank up our economy it'll be time for tariffs and American Made. Making stuff for ourself and export will go a long way toward bringing US back where we outa be. God bless Trump and the 2020 Election.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kingston: Sorry to hear about your craptastic MIC ladder experience. This pretty much mirrors my experience with anything I've purchased that's MIC, with a few very rare exceptions.

Made in USA Ladder Co:

Metallic Ladder

Werner ladders used to me made in USA, but I think they might be made in Mexico now.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/08/20.

- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shootem
We have a Chinese run economy because "bi partisan coalitions" in congress decided we needed to be a service oriented country not industrial. That's why you can't find anything made in the USA. Dems and Repubs alike gave our factories to China and Pacific Rim countries. That has to change. When the time comes to crank up our economy it'll be time for tariffs and American Made. Making stuff for ourself and export will go a long way toward bringing US back where we outa be. God bless Trump and the 2020 Election.

Pretty much but companies were and are free to locate where they choose unless an area or country is a forbidden zone, e.g., Iran.

We’ve seen manufacturing shift from Japan to Mexico to Philippines to China to Vietnam, etc, etc.

You could say that Congress allowed it but they didn’t dictate it to be so. These things most often flow relative to the value of the USD$ versus “their “ currency. But not always.

Weatherby might be an example of international moving locations.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's corporate greed vs patriotism.

Greed wins almost every time.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kingston: Sorry to hear about your craptastic MIC ladder experience. This pretty much mirrors my experience with anything I've purchased that's MIC, with a few very rare exceptions.

Made in USA Ladder Co:

Metallic Ladder

Werner ladders used to me made in USA, but I think they might be made in Mexico now.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they don’t make a kitchen step stool. It looks like they make lots of other really nice ladders though.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
It's corporate greed vs patriotism.

Greed wins almost every time.

Is it greed or is it capitalism at work for the stockholders?

I guess one could argue it either way. Take Fruit of the Loom, for example, that brought their manufacturing back to the USA,,,,for a while.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they don’t make a kitchen step stool. It looks like they make lots of other really nice ladders though.

Did you see this one? I think this would work very well for a kitchen:

Step Stool - Metallic Ladder

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/08/20.

- Del Gue
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 30 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,599
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.