Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

I realize that this has been mentioned previously, but with these stories continuing to return....it tends to lend credence! I know that “seemingly” some would rather die from starvation than Covid-19, but if we don’t put America back to work......food shortages can be our next big issue!

This also shows that a little preparedness can have long lasting benefits, namely....you don’t have to go out and expose yourself to potential Covid-19 infection and you can eat once the “food supply train” grinds to a halt. Just saying!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/meat-plant-closures-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/business/coronavirus-destroying-food.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/sic...suppliers-sparking-shortage-fears-2020-4

Though a little late now.....but not for the next crisis! This is just one of “many” sites that gives information on getting prepared!

http://www.survivalfoodreserves.com...-for-the-coming-food-shortage-in-america

memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They say people are buying baby chicks, they want to raise eggs.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Folks are definitely to the point of saying fark it. I think that may prove to be a mistake and I hope that I’m dead assed wrong about this.

Bill Bennett was on FOX this morning saying it’s time to return to work and that this has been way overdone.

Was in the Zachary Home Depot this morning and all folks inside working and shopping were covered up with ppe except for me.

We’ve developed a new generation of germophobes it appears.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon

They’re fairly popular at Easter time as pets. I guess they’re now pets with benefits.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Chicken Rush has been popular in our area for years. Urban coops all over the place - springing up the last 3-5 years here.

Me

IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I grew up eating real egg, and developed, for a time (when it swas my job to attend to them, feeding, watering forking chit...), that the only good chicken was a dead chicken..

In the last 50 years I have had maybe a dozen fresh eggs, and one of those was a seagull egg. Different, but not bad!

Store bought eggs are like store bought tomatoes. Just not up to the same quality level as real ones.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
One the subject of chickens!

This is a photo of a drawing, of our chicken/garden area. My regrets are that it’s not complete....been “dragg’n” my butt on completing the project.

Outer perimeter chain-link fence - 8’ tall, 100x 100 feet
Interior chain - link cross-fence - 7 feet tall.....to separate chicken area from garden, to rotate every year
Chicken coop - has access door from outside perimeter, and chicken doors to each area
Large gates (10’) thru perimeter fence and interior cross-fence...can drive atv through
2- egress man-gates, either side of chicken coop

* The chickens, eat bugs, weed seeds, and fertilize one side.....rotate next year to other side

memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 04/13/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hey, that might work here! But probably not...

I'd keep chickens, but it just isn't worth the hassle with the brown bears. My neighbor tried it , but he didn't have the chain link. Chicken wire doesn't even slow the things down.... chain link might! Expensive eggs....

The only thingsI hated worse than the chickens as a teen, were turkeys. We would get several dozen chicks each year, and it was my job to herd (good luck with that!) them through our 1 acre garden twice a day to keep the grasshoppers down. They did love those!

It was also my job to whack heads come fall. I didn't mind that..... smile. Not even the plucking.

OH yeah, and pigs. I wasn't too fond of those things either, especially when they pissed all over me (I was the holder) while BIL cut them.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Also - I mentioned this the other day- locally, sugar and flour are hard to keep on the shelves recently it seems. They were bare last Tuesday afternoon, when my wife went grocery shopping ($700) for the next 2 weeks , and just a little at 8 a.m. Thursday, after the bi-weekly overnight delivery. Not more than 100-200 lbs each.

I bought 10 # each as we were out of both.

I'm thinking lots of baking/hoarding going on with the virus stay-at-homes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by memtb

I realize that this has been mentioned previously, but with these stories continuing to return....it tends to lend credence! I know that “seemingly” some would rather die from starvation than Covid-19, but if we don’t put America back to work......food shortages can be our next big issue!
...."can be.."??? Oh, there WILL be - you can bet on it...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Bat eggs have been popular in china for long time.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't eat eggs or milk.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
YOU, the general public are out of beef. Slaughter of cattle last week was the lowest ever recorded by a large margin. Logistics can be solved, but the lack of product is something that will take weeks to overcome.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might be surprised; but I don't foresee any food shortages that will amount to anything. Remarkable logistics in this country; and very keen and innovative (yes, profit motivated) companies will bounce back fast.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kid0917
I might be surprised; but I don't foresee any food shortages that will amount to anything. Remarkable logistics in this country; and very keen and innovative (yes, profit motivated) companies will bounce back fast.

About like toilet paper, eggs, hamburger, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, paper towels and countless other things that aren't readily available in the stores at the moment. Three of the biggest hitters in the cattle slaughter - packing houses are closed down and the rest are running at half speed. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to see what's going to happen.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
quite a few packing houses are closing because the workers are getting the virus

so while beef producers are getting royally screwed , shortages might well show up and wholesale prices ( and packer profits) have been at record highs

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Fat cattle at 89$ today, that's CHEAP!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If it's continually the topic of conversation on the Internet people will continue to strip the store shelves bare because they've been whipped up into a Y2K type panic. STFU about any food shortage and let the stores stock the shelves in preparation for the relaxing of restrictions. Don't you think the avoid the grocery suggestion was made with that in mind ? Time for the chicken littles to stop screeching about the sky falling.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
This is already on the internet. Have to see how it plays out. Would not hurt to be a bit prepared.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fat cattle at 89$ today, that's CHEAP!

Richard, I'n no cattle guy so I'm guessing that's like a hundredweight price?

About $0.89/lb.

Where do I get one and who knows a good butcher around here? I might have to go to the local auction up the road.

What's the price on lambs..............I love lamb.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 007FJ, 270cowboy, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.