Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm thinking of buying a VX-5HD 3-15x44 and getting a custom turret cut. Somewhere along the way, I remember reading negative comments about Leupolds not tracking well. Any info on this to pass along? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by slammer; 04/14/20.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mine works just fine. Custom turret for a 280ai took an antelope in Montana at just over 600 yds. Dial was right on. Dial back to zero, still right on. YMMV
Patrick

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOTSA misconceptions,in these regards. Hint. Congratulations?!?

"Custom" Turret is another way of saying Fhuqking STUPID Turret,because you are painted into a corner by literal default and pay extra to get there. Relabeling a clock's face,does not make it more "accurate","faster" or more "reliable". Concern yourself SOLELY with the scope's MECHANICS,not it's Fluff. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

First simply CONFIRM your scope's integrity,before you poke Lipstick on that Pig. Hang 100yd paper,scribe a plumb line vertically and mark it in accordance with the scope's "asserted" graduations. Main thing is to shoot at the same mark at bottom of plumb line and flail on the erector,to see how/if it behaves. Also madly shift zoom magnification,during same. That's a "fair" representation of what you are asking it to do,with and without lipstick. Innards do NOT change,only the circumferential Fluff. Do not bullschit yourself,by making poosy favorable moves,in order to try and dupe yourself into believing Reupold's track,return to zero and/or hold zero. Hint.

If it tracks in accordance,is lineal in graduation movements and you trust it,then you are there. Simply denote comeups and apply same as per erector graduations and forget ALL notions of The Lipstick Fluff. KEY is knowing what the fhuqk you have and how the fhuqk it behaves and how much erector travel is available to you,because EVERYTHING below Zero is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

Epic and DISMAL fhuqking failure(and par for their schitty course) NIB Burris,aboard my Heavy Vudoo. Erector didn't track or repeat and shifted hilariously in it's windage too. It's a piece of useless fhuqking schit. Relabeling it's circumference,would only add more humor to worthless piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Ring spacing and inclination,are a scope's BEST friend. ANY/ALL scopes. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've had two Leupys. The first tracked so poorly I returned it multiple times. They were unable to fix it and sent me a new one. I sold it unopened.

Fast forward 8 years or so and I need an ultra lightweight scope for a particular application. I held my nose and bought another that fit the bill better than anything else I could find. It seems to track fine. Go figure. Roll the dice and see what you get. Many of them DO seem to work fine.

Custom turrets aren't for me for a variety of reasons, but I can see the utility. If you plan to use the scope on just one rifle, shoot just one load, shoot in areas with consistent air density, and don't try to shoot out past 600 or so, they are probably fine. Too many limitations for me, but I won't bash them out of hand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a '18x Bushy LRHSi that wouldn't track for fhuqk on my heavy 6BR and wandered like a Reupold. Sent it back and they didn't even try to fix it and sent a LRTSi replacement,which I prefer(better reticle). Thus far it and all of my others of the ilk,have been exceptional. Hint.

Saw (3) NIB Reupolds Puke on a single outing and they've really turned to Dog Schit. But with said glass in hand,it don't take long to see WTF and KNOW what's going on. Hint.

LRHSi. Hint.

LRHSi again. Hint.

Reupold 4.5-14x. Hint.

Salvaging a Reupold 4.5-14x M1 30mm LR. Hint.

Hint.

LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So for a scope dedicated to one rifle having a custom turret is stupid? Even if the cost for said turret is $0.00? I still have the factory turret and like the zero stop. I have a HDMR on my long range gun and it works like a charm. I cranked on the Leupold a lot and ran several box tests on it before getting the load I wanted worked up for the custom turret. I don't baby guns and haven't had any trouble out of the several Leupolds, Nikons, Burris's, Weavers, Vortex or Zeiss. I've never seen three Leupold take a dump at one time and I've seen a bunch at tactical competitions. I still have an older Mk4 that I have never had a failure with. Not sure what you're doing wrong, perhaps you should stop throwing rifles on the ground?
Patrick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy lottery tickets soon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And .... awaaay we go!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dodge268
So for a scope dedicated to one rifle having a custom turret is stupid? Even if the cost for said turret is $0.00? I still have the factory turret and like the zero stop. I have a HDMR on my long range gun and it works like a charm. I cranked on the Leupold a lot and ran several box tests on it before getting the load I wanted worked up for the custom turret. I don't baby guns and haven't had any trouble out of the several Leupolds, Nikons, Burris's, Weavers, Vortex or Zeiss. I've never seen three Leupold take a dump at one time and I've seen a bunch at tactical competitions. I still have an older Mk4 that I have never had a failure with. Not sure what you're doing wrong, perhaps you should stop throwing rifles on the ground?
Patrick

Sweetie...take a breath and punctuate a sentence/paragraph. Hint. LAUGHING!

Do tell about your "trying" "Box Tests". I've only had 100+ Reupolds. Hint.

Perhaps cite the platforms you are "testing" scopes with. Hint. LAUGHING.

I've more than a few MK4's. Hint.

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slammer
I'm thinking of buying a VX-5HD 3-15x44 and getting a custom turret cut. Somewhere along the way, I remember reading negative comments about Leupolds not tracking well. Any info on this to pass along? Thanks in advance.

I won't comment on the leupold because I've had both good and bad luck with them but must say all it'll take is a QC variance in the lot of powder, primer, bullet or whatever else...and your custom turret is off.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I generally use a 6mm BR to test scopes. It's an proven accurate rifle. Box tests are done as all box tests are done. If a scope comes back to zero, it passes that test. Most of my scopes don't get turrets turned but the ones that do get tested before they are used on living things. I don't spend much time on punctuation on forums, hint. I can't imagine the amount of money you would have to have spent to acquire a third of the schit you claim to have or have used. You write intentionally cryptic BS and throw hint and laffin in for reasons unknown. The guy asked for opinions on a specific scope. I gave him my opinion. The CDS works great and yes I understand DOPE and knowing your rifle. Sometimes it's just easier to set up a gun for a specific task and make it as easy to use as you can. That's not stupid or lazy, it's working smarter. I'm sure you will now regale us with your infinite knowledge that only you seem to possess. Hint, laffin
XXX OOO
Patrick

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Slammer: Ooohhh boy....
Here we go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two things...

How did that moron get back on the forum? You know which moron I’m talking about.

I have a VX5 3-15 with fire dot and it has worked just fine for me. Granted, I haven’t worked it as hard as some have. It would not be my first choice, however, if I wanted maximum precision at long range, particularly in variable conditions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dud268,

Pardon Reality being too REAL for you. Hint. Congratulations?!?

A Window Licking Box "Test" doesn't/cant' confirm much...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Erector dumps and Full Zoom shifts are where it's at,if only for starters. Your Imagination has less than ZERO fhuqking bearing on Reality,which will only come as a "surprise" to you. Hint. LAUGHING!

Ooooopsie!

RE-Oooooooopsie!

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

603KchuntPee,

Bless your heart,you fhuqking RETARD.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rest my case...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Please do tell me more about how your special box test that clearly only you can conduct works. You even change the power? Holy crap how did you come up with that?
You truly are the Oracle when it comes to gun stuff. Mule Deer should listen up, there's gold in them thar posts.......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntPee,

STUPIDITY isn't a "case",but rather a plight...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You couldn't afford a down payment on the muzzle tape. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

LAUGHING!..............

DUMB268,

There was no "box",but you are OBVIOUSLY stumped easily...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Erector dumps,reveal more than a "smidge". Hint.

Writers coddle Manufacturers,pardon the fact,that I do not. Hint.

Bless your heart for "living" vicariously,you "lucky" kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stick, you are more predictable than the tides. Hint.
Patrick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DUMB268,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you cain't proffer a scope to "test"...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by dodge268
I generally use a 6mm BR to test scopes. It's an proven accurate rifle. Box tests are done as all box tests are done. If a scope comes back to zero, it passes that test. Most of my scopes don't get turrets turned but the ones that do get tested before they are used on living things. I don't spend much time on punctuation on forums, hint. I can't imagine the amount of money you would have to have spent to acquire a third of the schit you claim to have or have used. You write intentionally cryptic BS and throw hint and laffin in for reasons unknown. The guy asked for opinions on a specific scope. I gave him my opinion. The CDS works great and yes I understand DOPE and knowing your rifle. Sometimes it's just easier to set up a gun for a specific task and make it as easy to use as you can. That's not stupid or lazy, it's working smarter. I'm sure you will now regale us with your infinite knowledge that only you seem to possess. Hint, laffin
XXX OOO
Patrick
Using a CDS is like breaking your leg on purpose so you can be faster, before running a marathon. It’s NEVER easier to use a CDS.... It’s pure stupidity.

Last edited by qwk; 04/14/20.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (3333vl, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,958 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,199
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.