Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
This rifle is maybe 20 years old. (Feels funny saying that, time does fly)

colt hbar and it has worn many different optics/options over the years

I have left it this way for maybe 7 years now and will keep it.

Redfield Olympic, adjustable diopter with Redfield x-tube and Redfield international front sight with orange insert

Enjoyable to shoot this way. Scopes are fun but I really enjoy these types of optics a bit more

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by plastikosmd; 04/15/20.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Neat. How did you sort the mounting out?

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Front uses a barrel clamp set up with a dovetail mount that is vertically adjustable . Xtube and rear sight use a rail to dovetail adapter.

Last edited by plastikosmd; 04/15/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
those hand grips hurt our hands. Never saw anyone use em much after the first flurry came out.

Love the sights.

We never were allowed fancy like that, in service rifle, just some tweaking to a standard rear sight and front post use. Those sights almost seem like cheating. Scopes really seem like cheating. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Definitely if the target is round, it is like cheating

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To me, even if its not round, circles line up and you put what you are after center of circle. Eye wants to do that automatically. AND you get to see all around the target too, you aren't blocking part of the view with a big post.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I will have to try it
Generally I’m just shooting circles and enjoy the Redfield type sites and concentrically smaller circles. Frankly I like shooting that way better than with a scope from a fun standpoint

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like it, thanks for sharing. The front has interchangeable inserts, which makes it cool. Like rost said, its kind of "like cheating", not allowed in service rifle matches, I bet. But, I'm sure at my club, when we have our "ar rifle shoots", it might pass. I also like the front sights and use the circle inserts in my 22 match rifles. Everyone else at my club uses those sights on their 22 target rifles and its hard to compete against those guys without them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I might just have to see if I can work up some sights like those since I don't have an iron sighted AR for my clubs shoots...Thanks for the idea there..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
L-train Most folks in service rifle are dumping irons and going to scope we can use up to 4.5x for service rifle.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
L-train Most folks in service rifle are dumping irons and going to scope we can use up to 4.5x for service rifle.

Yeah, I figured that. I'm glad you commented, since you shoot service rifle. In todays matches, would an iron sight, such as the op's, be allowed in service rifle matches?...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before scopes, the Right Sight was set to take over the match rifle world.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, I figured that. I'm glad you commented, since you shoot service rifle. In todays matches, would an iron sight, such as the op's, be allowed in service rifle matches?...

Yep, still allowed as far as I've heard. You simply won't be as competitive though so you are kinda forced into a 2500 dollar scope if you want to compete at the top levels. Would have cost me around 5K since the wife shot with me. But we'd have figured it out and carried on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like it, thanks for sharing. The front has interchangeable inserts, which makes it cool. Like rost said, its kind of "like cheating", not allowed in service rifle matches, I bet. But, I'm sure at my club, when we have our "ar rifle shoots", it might pass. I also like the front sights and use the circle inserts in my 22 match rifles. Everyone else at my club uses those sights on their 22 target rifles and its hard to compete against those guys without them.

I might just have to see if I can work up some sights like those since I don't have an iron sighted AR for my clubs shoots...Thanks for the idea there..

Have you tried the clear front apertures? I like them MUCH more than the metal ones for some reason.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have, i have more experience w metal. I should try more of the clear. This is the only orange one that I have and I like it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like you've been messing around with time jumping, made yourself a loop and wound up filching an AR from a Victorian gentleman's gun room.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by plastikosmd
This rifle is maybe 20 years old. (Feels funny saying that, time does fly)

colt hbar and it has worn many different optics/options over the years

I have left it this way for maybe 7 years now and will keep it.

Redfield Olympic, adjustable diopter with Redfield x-tube and Redfield international front sight with orange insert

Enjoyable to shoot this way. Scopes are fun but I really enjoy these types of optics a bit more

Man, I bet thats a blast to shoot. Very cool.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought some iron sights because of this thread. Ill post results in the black rifle challenge here. Im hoping they work out well.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cheap irons often don't track...

That said cheap irons can be used like Leupolds. Set and forget. Shoot for group not accuracy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Cheap irons often don't track...

That said cheap irons can be used like Leupolds. Set and forget. Shoot for group not accuracy.

I don't need anything too fancy, just something to beat the other guys at my club with... A couple of them have some pretty damn fine H Bar's, but their antiquated military sights are just that. We will see how well these "cheap" sights do after I get them.. I'm going to be putting them on my Noveske, and it is probably my least accurate ar, besides my Armalite AR10T 308w. These ar's are still a learning experience for me and it will be interesting to see how these new sights do. I'll post up results, but don't worry rost, I'm likely not going to touch your score, unless you piss me off.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
my score. Whoopee doopee... it sucked anyway. LOL

SO lets see some real [bleep]. What does it take to piss you off?

Just a scope lackey, no clue how to shoot with irons you are. I bet you can't even break 1.5 moa with irons much less. MOA. Sure can't do it out to 600. Heck anyone that uses a scope just sucks anyway. You aint' a REAL shooter.

LMAO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,974
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.