Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 79S

I just need to pull the trigger and buy a WOA barrel in 223 Wylde. His accuracy improved tremendously when he made the switch.

For the money, they are a great buy.............you probably won't find much in their price range that has been lapped; I have 3 of them.

But the Criterion & the button rifled Rock Creek barrels that Craddock uses are about the same or better for around the same price range, maybe a little bit more. And he is just great to work with of you want something in particular.

MM

I’ve heard that he is excellent. Buddy has a 224 V and it just drills with everything.

Semper Fi
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S
Remember that Alliant's info does not list a range of loads, only one, & that is labeled as 223, not 5.56.

Here's a link to a large series of tests (about 12 episodes) attempting to duplicate BH MK-262 that you might find interesting...............be sure to look of the one that shows the data for the factory BH MK-262 (77gr SMK).

In most cases, my data very closely resembles what he is getting.

MM

BH MK-262 testing

8208 & AR-Comp

4895 & MR-2000

That’s where I got the idea to try LVR from. He has a pile of data on his pages.

I just need to pull the trigger and buy a WOA barrel in 223 Wylde. His accuracy improved tremendously when he made the switch.

I’m sure. I guess if I am replacing barrels I’d go with a Krieger or similar that I’d use in my bolt guns. Do the WOA barrels shoot better than those would?

WOA standard barrels are all Wilson and hand lapped, then they have Krieger, shilen, barrels as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Okay, thanks for the G2.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting fact about AR Comp - last time I checked, there's only 1 lot (CE0519) of it out there. I heard there was an early lot, but I've never seen it.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The WOA barrels that I have are all the Wilson blanks, FWIW. They don't foul much either, but that's also true of my Craddock barrel & my Kreiger barrel

MM

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by David_Walter
John,

What’s that load?

24.5gr of RL15 I used CCI BR primer but probably could use cci 400. Bullet seated to 2.250, in LC brass

Have you tried R7.5 primer with that load? It or WWSR MIGHT make a noticeable difference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Remember that Alliant's info does not list a range of loads, only one, & that is labeled as 223, not 5.56.

Here's a link to a large series of tests (about 12 episodes) attempting to duplicate BH MK-262 that you might find interesting...............be sure to look of the one that shows the data for the factory BH MK-262 (77gr SMK).

MM

BH MK-262 testing

8208 & AR-Comp

4895 & MR-2000

That’s where I got the idea to try LVR from. He has a pile of data on his pages.

I’m sure. I guess if I am replacing barrels I’d go with a Krieger or similar that I’d use in my bolt guns. Do the WOA barrels shoot better than those would?

WOA standard barrels are all Wilson and hand lapped, then they have Krieger, shilen, barrels as well.

I"m not a huge button fan, generally due to shorter life span. That said if you get a shilen from WOP and it won't shoot there is something else wrong.. you can't outshoot a shilen from them. IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by David_Walter
John,

What’s that load?

24.5gr of RL15 I used CCI BR primer but probably could use cci 400. Bullet seated to 2.250, in LC brass

Have you tried R7.5 primer with that load? It or WWSR MIGHT make a noticeable difference.

I probably did, and that’s what got me to where I used cci br primers. I have a notebook full of notes..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Interesting fact about AR Comp - last time I checked, there's only 1 lot (CE0519) of it out there. I heard there was an early lot, but I've never seen it.

You are correct I just looked at my ar comp all the same lot bought different times and different stores

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

MM

BH MK-262 testing

8208 & AR-Comp

4895 & MR-2000

I"m not a huge button fan, generally due to shorter life span. That said if you get a shilen from WOP and it won't shoot there is something else wrong.. you can't outshoot a shilen from them. IMHO.

My WOA shilen is a picky sob. Probably the most picky mo fo ive messed with, even pickier than my Noveske 3 land, but when you find a load it likes, it shoots damn well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That is very interesting. I just got back from testing more loads with AR Comp and 77TMK's. I learned a few interesting things about 4 of my rifles..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

MM

BH MK-262 testing

8208 & AR-Comp

4895 & MR-2000

My WOA shilen is a picky sob. Probably the most picky mo fo ive messed with, even pickier than my Noveske 3 land, but when you find a load it likes, it shoots damn well.

Ive never seen a non accurate Shilen in an AR barrel or on a bolt gun for that matter. I have seen an inaccurate, to me, Krieger once.

I suspect if you shoot em all long enough you find anything. Shilens sometimes have taken a bit of work, but generally shooters settle on one barrel that works for them and keep replacing with same. That way the load workup is generally minimal.

I hate it each time I get a new gun, you never know what it may throw at you. Just like all my 284 headaches that finally sure look like it was way oversize brass and a size die from Redding that would not size it any smaller. You really never know.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy loves his shilen barrel when he was shooting competition yes ago that who he used and like you has stuck with them. Far as he’s concerned shilen never turned out a bad barrel..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
My buddy loves his shilen barrel when he was shooting competition yes ago that who he used and like you has stuck with them. Far as he’s concerned shilen never turned out a bad barrel..

Mine is accurate as hell with the bullets it likes. Accuracy fell off the map with 90 gr game changers though. Going back to the 77TMK, i found it was very interesting that all of my 20" barreled ar's shot faster than my 22" savage predator, while working up loads with ar comp. And another interesting tid bit, the Noveske looked like it had an edge over the others in the accuracy department. This was a first with that rifle. It will be interesting to see how the Noveske does with 10 shot groups and this heavier sierra. I still havent decided whether i want to run a sedate 2580 fps or around 2660 fps load. These are both accuracy nodes for 3 of my rifles. Ill load up more and let 10 shot groups tell me more...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot a 1 shot group last night with the 77TMK. Through a 150lb pig’s shoulders from about 75yds. It died. Quickly.

Shot a buddies AR on Sunday that he was having trouble getting it to shoot. Tried 40gr Varmeggedon tipped over TAC, 53gr Varmeggedon tipped Midway factory load, 55gr Speer SP over 25.5gr Lever, 75 Hornady BTSP over 25gr Lever, and 77TMKs over 25gr Lever. The 77s were the clear winner, 3 shot groups under 1” while the 53 and 55 loads hovered around 1.25”. The 75s were about 1.75” and the 40s over 2”. I know I know 3 shot groups don’t mean anything but shooting several three shot groups with no weirdness tells me nothing is seriously wrong with his rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

Mine is accurate as hell with the bullets it likes. Accuracy fell off the map with 90 gr game changers though. Going back to the 77TMK, i found it was very interesting that all of my 20" barreled ar's shot faster than my 22" savage predator, while working up loads with ar comp. And another interesting tid bit, the Noveske looked like it had an edge over the others in the accuracy department. This was a first with that rifle. It will be interesting to see how the Noveske does with 10 shot groups and this heavier sierra. I still havent decided whether i want to run a sedate 2580 fps or around 2660 fps load. These are both accuracy nodes for 3 of my rifles. Ill load up more and let 10 shot groups tell me more...

Shilen has a twist fast enough for a 90?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

Funny thing we were so stuck on PacNor because they were the only 6.5 twist 3 groove that did what we needed with 90 jlks that we don't have many shilen. I've shot more than I own.

I'd not be afraid though...

And before pac nor we were Krieger fans.

But then again I know a few times civilian Perry champs, both male and female that shoot only shilen... LOL. That means they beat me because I never was a champ at Perry.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Shilen has a twist fast enough for a 90?

Its a 6mm. I was hoping so, but not the case. Do you know the twist rate of your 6WOA, and which bullets does it prefer. It seems almost pointless to just top out at 85 grains, when all of my 223/556 ar's run 77's so well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
I shot a 1 shot group last night with the 77TMK. Through a 150lb pig’s shoulders from about 75yds. It died. Quickly.

Shot a buddies AR on Sunday that he was having trouble getting it to shoot. Tried 40gr Varmeggedon tipped over TAC, 53gr Varmeggedon tipped Midway factory load, 55gr Speer SP over 25.5gr Lever, 75 Hornady BTSP over 25gr Lever, and 77TMKs over 25gr Lever. The 77s were the clear winner, 3 shot groups under 1” while the 53 and 55 loads hovered around 1.25”. The 75s were about 1.75” and the 40s over 2”. I know I know 3 shot groups don’t mean anything but shooting several three shot groups with no weirdness tells me nothing is seriously wrong with his rifle.

Good intel. Thank you. 77 TMK's and LVR have been working for me and a pards rifle so far. The 75 HPBT's aren't nearly as accurate, but they load easy and I have a bunch so were burning them up for 100 and in stuff since the zero works fine there.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheKid

What kind of velocity are you getting with the 77TMK load? I'm in agreement about 3 shot groups and also agree with rost on the subject. If you see something really weird like 2 close together and the other one 2 inches apart, theres no reason to shoot 5 shots into a group. One thing that I see about your loads is its not developing a load per se, so unless your buddy wants to spend a little time actually developing a load for his rifle, he's likely never going to find something that really shoots well in his rifle....When I go to the range and develop a load, its with 1 bullet and maybe the few rifles I want to test that bullet and load with, then I work up. Start with a number from the book where you think you might be able to live with the velocity and go from there. With the little .223 rem case, I've gone as far as .2 gr. jump in charge wt. with each load. With all of my bigger cartridges, its the norm to increase charge wt by 1/2 a grain each time... That and the use of a good chrono, is the best way to find the accuracy nodes.. There's also ladder tests, but its best to shoot those at 300+ yards so you can get a better picture of what that bullet/load is doing... What I see with your post is you are out there shooting for fun. Nothing wrong with that. Just not the way I do it. I first get down and serious when developing a load, then after that, it's shoot for fun and post up some of those results in the challenges here or compete with that load.... However, life would be a simpler place, if we just called 3 shot groups good enough. Some do, some don't....

Usually when I have a good load dialed in and I'm shooting 10 shot groups, the first 4, at least, go into the same hole. Thats when you know you have done your due diligence in finding the best load with the powder you are using for that particular bullet and components...

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (240NMC, 12344mag, 22magnut, 303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 37 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,532
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.