Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by raghorn
It’s new
Had black 20” rims with Goodyear’s on it and I got them to trade out for 18’s with 275/70/18 10 ply Toyos

Good call on both rim size and tire brand. smile

Id like to go 17s, if I get another set of rims for my truck, but only certain 17" rims fir over the brakes on the Tundra.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it just an aesthetics thing? Both my F-150 and the wife's SUV have 20's and I dislike the ride immensely when the road gets lumpy. They probably are more responsive with more wheel and less tire sidewall, but I'm not a kid anymore and I appreciate a smoother ride. I sure miss the old 14,15,16,17 and 18" rims.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Thanks for the sharing Journeyman.

Sorry to get sidetracked, but could you comment on 3/4-ton trucks, 4x4 in particular? I'd imagine your company has info on that class of truck as well?

Thanks,

Jason

Around here feed pickups are probably the hardest working machines.

They get used and abused and put on a lot of off road miles.

I can think of about 15 Fords(F350's) with bale beds.

3-4 Chevy/GMC.

3-4 Dodge.

Ford pretty much dominates across the board regarding work pickups. BNSF, construction companies, utility companies, farm/ranch, etc., pretty much all Ford.

Dodge and Chevy might make a good heavy duty highway pickup but I don't think they hold up when you start pounding them off road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info SamO.

My next truck purchase will most likely be a Super Duty. Right now, I have a 2017 Tundra TuRD, double cab. I like the truck just fine, and think it's a great 1/2-ton grocery-getter. The Super Duty would be used for harder work.

The Super Duty interested me for the reasons that you mentioned. Mainly, that they have a good reputation in the commercial-use truck world. From what I've gathered from some dudes running fleets, the Super Duty seems to come close to Tundras in terms of reliability and durability. To me, that is impressive as the use cases and duty cycles can be very different. The fact that the Super Duty trucks are held in such high regard, says a lot in my view.

In my last job, I hired a test engineer for my team that previously worked at Fiat-Chrysler. Since he was involved with testing RAMs and competitor trucks, I asked him what he thought about the RAM trucks. He said that he loved the Cummins engine (obvious?), but hated the truck built around the engine. He drives a Super Duty.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jason, good luck in the search!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SamO,

Tremor with 7.3 has my attention, but the Tundra makes a good grocery-getter for now grin

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sam my local experience mirrors yours for heavy duty work rigs. All the power companies, oilfield companies, and probably over half of the feed wagons are 250 and 350 Fords.

The power company I work for has a pile of Fords with service beds and 6.2 gas engines. That’s what I bought because I saw how well they hold up and go off-road. Since 2011 they have cycled through hundreds of trucks and the major issues have been 2 transfer cases and one transmission, not a single engine related hiccup according to the chief mechanic. They change oil and filters at 5k intervals and the guys idle them for entire shifts and pound on them off the roads in line cuts and two tracks every day.

They bought two Rams a few years ago as a test to see how they’d hold up since they were a little cheaper at fleet prices. Stuck them both in the auction at less than 70k miles because they were constantly in the shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TheKid,

I also hear really good things about the 6-speed tranny in the Super Duty.

Jason

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder what it would cost to recreate a truck built this solid today.

Ford

I prefer a truck that rides a bit rough, solid slam in the doors, full box.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by teal

Ford

Now that's a cool rig! Man, those were great trucks. Always wanted to swap a 5.9 in a truck like that. Thought it would be a blast with a diesel a modern 6 speed manual.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ford

Now that's a cool rig! Man, those were great trucks. Always wanted to swap a 5.9 in a truck like that. Thought it would be a blast with a diesel a modern 6 speed manual.

Yep - with an Atlas II transfer case too for those that like as well.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ford

Yep - with an Atlas II transfer case too for those that like as well.

Hell yeah! Might as well put a couple lockers in there as well. Talk about a cool rig. This talks almost as dangerous as talking cool rifle builds.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cummins makes a small, 50 state legal diesel as a crate motor. Fred at Dirt Every Day has done a lot of work with it.

Long based jeep with one - lockers etc. Be neat but I'd prefer the old Ford pick up.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by raghorn
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Made the choice

Mine's the cement gray TSS. Your voodoo blue was choice #2. Leveled the front, tinted the windows, added leather, and mild exhaust. Love it so far.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

cement gray........nice

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
As I said above, we are in the top 5 on the ENR top Contractors, and the top 5 in Mining Equipment Giants. The divisions reporting to me in my working life were predominantly heavy civil construction, upstream and midstream Oil and Gas, and O&M for OGC and Power. We'd buy trucks, assign them, maintain them, and at 3 years (fully depreciated) or 70,000 miles (if more than 3 years) assess if they were worth tripping or keep and make job beaters. Until the big ecoboost Life Cycle cost on Fords was the best by a large margin...Life Cycle being purchase,operating costs insurance, Fuel Oil and Grease, Maintenance, Tires and Repairs, Depreciation, and Disposal Recoup (ie sales).

We bought a few dozen Raptors for O&G pipeline integrity, drilling and well monitoring. They were simply flawless, with most miles offroad...BUT...the Z71's were as well, for 30% less. So, I guess to answer your question, the Raptor, in the records I have on a couple dozen is cheapest in T&T and Repairs, IOW, the ones we have simple wouldn't break...and...the 500+ BHP and factory Baja Race level suspension were things of beauty, but the buy-in, Operating Costs, Insurance, FOG made it not worth it...

SINCE then, Chevy has taken over. The aluminum bodied ecoboost trucks have skyrocketed in O&M, T&T, and "particularly" repairs...we've had more "totaled" accidents in the last 4 years than in the previous decade...

And, simply, despite the fanboy "I had one" or "I had two" Tundras have never on a life cycle cost basis measured up...simply fact...and we built and maintain the Toyota testing grounds and get them cheaper than most.

As to the Rebel...I can't comment from a company standpoint since we opted the equivalent Chevy in 2019 because initial purchase was 20% less, and we've been too thrilled to change.

Funny thing, though...my Dad and sister both got supplier pins from me and bought Rebels. They have been great, and "near" enough the equal of my 2 LT Trail Boss on the ranch that if they were cheaper life cycle (AND THE ELECTRONICS WEREN'T SO BUGGY!!!) I'd consider one....

Sorry to get sidetracked, but could you comment on 3/4-ton trucks, 4x4 in particular? I'd imagine your company has info on that class of truck as well?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I can "kind of" reply to that. We long ago skipped right over 3/4 Tons to 1 Tons.
Life cycle cost made them the better deal.
F-350 is king in that application, and based on what I see in the Oil Patch and Mining, our competitors feel the same.
On my own ranch we are running F-350s for feed/spreader work, and Z71s for light duty.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Thanks,

Jason

Around here feed pickups are probably the hardest working machines.

They get used and abused and put on a lot of off road miles.

I can think of about 15 Fords(F350's) with bale beds.

3-4 Chevy/GMC.

3-4 Dodge.

Ford pretty much dominates across the board regarding work pickups. BNSF, construction companies, utility companies, farm/ranch, etc., pretty much all Ford.

Dodge and Chevy might make a good heavy duty highway pickup but I don't think they hold up when you start pounding them off road.

Should have read down this far before replying!

Can I change my reply to "What SamOlson said?"

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Journeyman,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the market for a new truck recently, but decided to just hand onto my 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500. I was looking at a GMC AT4, or Chevy Trailboss, but I am going to hold out for the new Tundra. I have been reading the 2022 model is a new truck all together. Now, it Toyota gets rid of the V8 engine like I have heard elsewhere, I'm back to square one.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Used Tacoma are good trucks, but priced way too high. Saw a 14 Taco 4WD last year, crew cab, 50K miles, asking for $25K. Nope

NRA lifetime member
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.