Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Beaver,

Out of the local options to us in Oregon, Leupo, SIG, and Crimson Trace, I'm still rooting for Leupo confused crazy laugh

You may already know this, but several of the Leupo guys went across town to Blount to wait out their non-compete agreements, then went to SIG Electro-Optics. I'm not sure if they were part of the problem, the solution, or neutral in terms what was going on in Beaverton. I don't have a background in optical design, so don't know.

However, it would be interesting to see what scopes were designed by the defectors, and what has come from new blood if anything.

Maybe ILya can shed some light on this.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/20.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do know that I've gotten good feedback on the military version of the SIG Tango6T.

On the flipside, two SIG Kilos that my bud's have gotten can't keep up with my old Leica 1600b. One replacement still sucks. Haven't seen the other yet.

Obviously the military T6T and consumer LRF are different animals.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/20.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
4th point: I do to!
Great choice there, Army.
Buy American.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Incorporated!
A fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bsa’, keep posting target pics adnauseam and patting yourself on the back, it’s all you’ve got.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jc189
I'm sure they were well tested by the Army before they awarded Leupold a contract.

yeah, its not like the US Army decided to piss off 24 hour campfire, by purchasing Leupold Scopes on contract..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
good for Leupold !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey J, just saw this, for some reason I don't get email notifications for threads anymore, and don't see where the option to enable them is.

Not too shabby, been playing around with an old 7x57R, lots of fun stomping around the lake pretending to be grumpy!

Oh...and it loves 120gr TTSX's a hair over 3", go figure.

Almost mounted one of my mini Hubble FFP Henny's on it, but couldn't decide whether the 34mm or 35mm would look uglier, so I slapped on a period vintage 4x, been rediscovering the joys of a German #1 after all these years.

I meant to pick yer brains on a couple "Scout" rifles that I haven't handled yet, need to take a young 'un to get his very first rig.

I'll take this over to PM/text.

Good luck & have fun with that Yogi...I hear today's Level 3 clad bruins don't go down unless you step up to well above a .338 cal ;-)

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by ofelas
Dang knuckle dragging pipe liner.

Bad enough that you convinced me to use Barnes copper solids all those years back, rather than Partitions.

How ya been, kid? All well with you & yours?

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by ofelas
Super Snipers?

The top confirmed shots are by the Canucks & Brits these days, but that's a fluid dynamic, given the heftier calibers used.

One hopes that the Army with the newly acquired Combat Competition Hunter reticle on the Leupy will be able to make full use of their existing heavy cals & catch up ;-)

The Marines may have a chance... grin

Doing well! Just getting ready to hit the hills chasing Yogi smile

How you been?

Low speed, high drag
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Apparently they never read formidous posts ?

About the poor reliability of the Mark 5? Pretty sure no one has read those posts by Form, because they don't exist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Beaver,

Out of the local options to us in Oregon, Leupo, SIG, and Crimson Trace, I'm still rooting for Leupo confused crazy laugh

You may already know this, but several of the Leupo guys went across town to Blount to wait out their non-compete agreements, then went to SIG Electro-Optics. I'm not sure if they were part of the problem, the solution, or neutral in terms what was going on in Beaverton. I don't have a background in optical design, so don't know.

However, it would be interesting to see what scopes were designed by the defectors, and what has come from new blood if anything.

Maybe ILya can shed some light on this.

J

I too was aware that some of the design guys headed across town. It’s was supposed to be some of the better team members that left and found a home at Sig.

I dove headfirst into first base with this knowledge and bought a couple Whiskey5 hunting scopes and a Tango6 scope that was like new.

I was feeling pretty sexy about the scope buys with knowledge of the Exodus of team Leupold until Form crushed my dreams by saying they’re almost junk.

I kept the Whiskey5 scopes, but moved them to varmint rigs. So, far no lenses have fallen out, but I’ve got only a little under 200 rounds fired underneath both scopes combined. The Whiskey5 is or was Sigs highend hunting scope.

I sold the Tang6 scope because the reticle was duplex. That T6 scope was a heavy girl and all levers and knob functionality was very good to excellent.

I actually sent the Tango6 scope to one of our hardcore LR member shooters with the instructions to use the scope however he wanted, except as a hammer...

The member had it for 4-5 months and said it seemed like a solid scope with good glass. He hated the duplex windshield obviously, aside from that, he didn’t find any tracking issues with it.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

burns, and cummins, AKA real western hunters vs the FFP crowd. john, show us some video of the mules, ya know mule guys and horse guys aren't supposed to like one another. maybe we should argue about that. grin
That's rich! John Burns has posted proof of himself being a successful "real western hunter". You've posted one picture of one coyote...

Last edited by pointer; 04/20/20.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Mostly that's what they had 4th point. There were some others that were NF of some model but I don't know what they were. There were a scattering of S&B's but not many. Some of their "cheap" stuff was Bushy HDMR, DMR stuff. They all had LaRue detachable mounts though. What is downright unbelievable is the nightvision/infrared optics they have that the avg Joe can't buy. Evidently when a mare is pregnant their body temp increases, at least that's what they said, and I verified it with my veterinarian friend as well. Anyway, they could take their binos in pitch black and tell if a mare was pregnant waaaaay out there. He said if they marketed those to the public they would be in the $60k range.

I got to spend some time with a platoon from Team 5 in 2002. What they had then was scary awesome and just as expensive. Can't imagine what they have now....

Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I was fascinated with their gear teal, for sure. That's been a year and a half ago too. I will also say that the Seals and Rangers I was around, although relatively briefly, would dang sure make you proud to be an American. Unlike some of these clowns around here like BSA who loves to run his mouth and post numerous pics of his paper punching prowess, these guys demanded respect by the way they carried themselves, conversed, and mingled with an avg Joe like me. Those Israelis, I was told, were just stone cold killers and didn't care what anyone had to say about it, showing little emotion. Which reminds me......one of those Israeli guys was commenting about the onslaught of these Central Americans and Illegals demanding entry into our country seeking asylum. He says...."you know how we handle that where I'm from? We issue Ruger 10/22's and shoot the first liners in the kneecaps. That sort of takes the desire of entering our country away from the ones behind them". He had a good point.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The gentlemen met and were friends with in the TEAMS were all very professionals in that regard. Good dudes. Some better than others - everyone has their own personality but I enjoyed my time with them over a year or so. Was fortunate to have that experience. One guy, was a former BUDs instructor loved to say "Why be a Volkswagon when you CAN be a Ferrari" - I pointed out he drove a 75 Bronco, neither one of those things...

Good dude, none were "Hollywood" with us at all.

Me

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Apparently they never read formidous posts ?

About the poor reliability of the Mark 5? Pretty sure no one has read those posts by Form, because they don't exist.

I’m sure many on here are waiting to hear from the Oracle of Form’ before they run their little necks out on this one! LMAO 😂

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was fascinated with their gear teal, for sure. That's been a year and a half ago too. I will also say that the Seals and Rangers I was around, although relatively briefly, would dang sure make you proud to be an American. Unlike some of these clowns around here like BSA who loves to run his mouth and post numerous pics of his paper punching prowess, these guys demanded respect by the way they carried themselves, conversed, and mingled with an avg Joe like me. Those Israelis, I was told, were just stone cold killers and didn't care what anyone had to say about it, showing little emotion. Which reminds me......one of those Israeli guys was commenting about the onslaught of these Central Americans and Illegals demanding entry into our country seeking asylum. He says...."you know how we handle that where I'm from? We issue Ruger 10/22's and shoot the first liners in the kneecaps. That sort of takes the desire of entering our country away from the ones behind them". He had a good point.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
(snip)

The MK6 was literally designed under SMU weight and length restrictions.

Had to be short enough for clip on IR/NV units.

Leupold was the only manufacturer that could meet the spec.

MK6 is a complicated build.

Formey chiming in would be 24hr Gold. laugh[/quote]

I'm going to disagree with the bolded statement above. While the MK5 maybe the one that Leupold produced to fit those specs, they are not the only manufacturer able to do that. Not by a long shot. They may be the only American manufacturer, but not the only one in the world.

I'm not sure why it's germane to say the MK6 is a complicated build, since we are talking about the Mark5 here.

For instance, March has a scope that is superior in almost every way compared to the Mk5 5-25X56. This scope is the March-FX 5-42X56. Right away, you see that it has a greater magnification range with an 8.2x zoom, compared to the 5x zoom the mk6,
The March-FX is 14.1 inches long compared to the 15.67 inch of the Mk5.
The March-FX is 33 oz compared to the 30oz of the Mk5, but is has features not found on the Mk5 than could be removed to lower the weight some, and 3 ounces is not "significant."
The March-FX has 140MOA of elevation adjustment compared to the 120MOA of the Mk5.
The March-FX has 14MIL of windage compared to the 17.5MIL of the Mk5.

The March-FX has a 26 degree eyepiece that provides 30% more FOV at any magnification compared to standard riflescopes like the Mk5. For instance at 100 yards @ 5X, the FOV for the March-FX is 26.19ft. At the same distance and setting the Mk5 has an FOV of 20.5 feet. This will be the same at all magnifications, well, up to 25X because that's where the MK5 stops while the March-FX keeps on going to 42X.

Now, Schmidt & Bender have introduce a similar scope the S&B 5-45X56 High Power. It's a little longer than the Mk5 at 17.1 inch and 39 ounces, so it's possible that's what you're thinking about.

I'm actually glad that the US Army has selected an American scope, but let's be real when talking about the competition.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 52 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,688
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.