Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yeah riiiiiiiight. About like that cornball long range hunting show that showed you the door........

Dude,

Just admit the infatuation.

It's cool and nobody is judging. whistle

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by ldholton
Some people are "shooters" most are not . Ghd not crowd relies on gizmos

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
My scope is better than your scope regardless what scope you have. 😂😆

The real question is do you have a "Whizzy Wheel"?

I really wonder if any game animal died within 1 Mile of a "Whizzer Wheel"?

How about it JG? laugh

Litz and Hodnett approved.

I’ve taken a whizz in a circle pattern while hunting. Does that count ? Asking for a friend....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Some people are "shooters" most are not . Ghd not crowd relies on gizmos

My scope is better than your scope regardless what scope you have. 😂😆

The real question is do you have a "Whizzy Wheel"?

I really wonder if any game animal died within 1 Mile of a "Whizzer Wheel"?

How about it JG? laugh

Litz and Hodnett approved.

I’ve taken a whizz in a circle pattern while hunting. Does that count ? Asking for a friend....

Only if you got the shot solution for a big buck from the whizz circle.

ps, Your friend has issues.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm with gunner500 on this one personally.

I've actually been to Hodnetts training twice and while I don't know how much hunting he does I know he mentioned some long range kills. we even got to go shoot some hogs which was a blast.

I can also vouch for the fact that the range we shot on down there is one windy SOB.

I've also used the Whiz Wheel for training. We ran a course of fire on an unknown distance range using the Whiz Wheel for getting come ups/holdovers (using H58 Horus reticle). It does work and as part of a PACE plan for data it's lightweight and durable.

I've got one floating around here somewhere.

Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a ballistics calculator app (actually more than one), I have JBM Ballistics & Litz'z data; I have a rangefinder & a scope with turrets & know my cum-ups to the 1K mark & have a print out of same.

What is the Whiz Wheel going to do for me that I don't already have?

Doesn't matter whether it's good or bad or if it works or doesn't...............what's it going to tell me that I don't already have access to knowing?

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodgefan

I've actually been to Hodnetts training twice and while I don't know how much hunting he does I know he mentioned some long range kills. we even got to go shoot some hogs which was a blast.

I can also vouch for the fact that the range we shot on down there is one windy SOB.

I've also used the Whiz Wheel for training. We ran a course of fire on an unknown distance range using the Whiz Wheel for getting come ups/holdovers (using H58 Horus reticle). It does work and as part of a PACE plan for data it's lightweight and durable.

Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency

So the "Whizzy Wheel'" is pretty much worse than useless for hunting?

I thought we had already determined that but thanks. smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was looking at it from a military standpoint. Unfortunately not everyone slotted as a sniper has the time or training or drive that they need. They don't all have their comeups or holdovers memorized. Getting them to use/make a printout was an exercise in futility most of the time.

You have a PACE plan although you don't call it that. I'm not saying that you need a Whiz Wheel I'm saying they are a viable tool.

Think about like this PDA/phone takes a dump so you grab your data cards only to find the rain soaked them to the point of unreadability or whatever so you go to memorized holds. THe Whiz Wheel is just another option.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency

So the "Whizzy Wheel'" is pretty much worse than useless for hunting?

I thought we had already determined that but thanks. smile

I don't know if I would say useless but better than nothing. It's definitely not as fast as DA cards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was looking at it from a military standpoint. Unfortunately not everyone slotted as a sniper has the time or training or drive that they need. They don't all have their comeups or holdovers memorized. Getting them to use/make a printout was an exercise in futility most of the time.

You have a PACE plan although you don't call it that. I'm not saying that you need a Whiz Wheel I'm saying they are a viable tool.

Think about like this PDA/phone takes a dump so you grab your data cards only to find the rain soaked them to the point of unreadability or whatever so you go to memorized holds. THe Whiz Wheel is just another option.

Ok, but that would be a lot of negative coindince's to all have happen; so it's just more of the same, another alternative...............I can buy that.

What pisses me off is know-it-all's pissing down my neck & trying to convince me it's raining.

MM

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
litz is pretty much the polar opposite of the vibe I pick up from hodnett. I prefer litz's style. I have bought his CD's, app and books. highly recommended. Tactical shooters are kinda like oil and water to me. its tuff for me to see the value of these chassis rifles with all sorts of crap hanging off them. a 1# detachable scope base thats 3" higher than the top of the action, with a 40mm tube scope or some other truck axle tube scope that is over 3 pounds. Its like too many video games have been watched. Oh lets also top the gun off with a panzer faust muzzle brake to tame the recoil of their 6.5 creed even though the gun is 20 pounds.

FFP sucks on the lowest power
. The reason its as popular as it is, is because most shooters aren't using their scopes that often on the lowest power, Why because they are using them at the gun range mostly. peering of the edge of a finger canyon at first light, when animals are most likely to be wondering around, you want a bold reticle and you want to be able to make an off hand shot if you have to. and the argument about the SFP scope being set to the wrong power and causing a long range miss because the ticks don't line up. How about the FFP scope being set to, too high of a power and you struggle to get on the animal at first light as the bull of your dreams flashes through the quaking aspens? or how about the reticle sucking and lowest power and you can't tell a quaking aspen branch from shoulder of the deer or elk?

I think your statement is a little too far reaching. Others have already said that a well designed reticle is the key, whether it’s FFP or SFP.
These are the only comparisons I have, but I have 2 Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x compacts with mil-dot reticles and 2 Bushnell LRHS 3-12x.
I’ve shot and hunted a lot with the NXS and have recently started using the LRHS scopes.
With scopes set at 3x, I compare the reticles at very low light and the NXS mil-dot is almost invisible without the illumination. The LRHS at 3x in the same light condition is a duplex reticle that’s easy to see and get on target. I wouldn’t be using the reticle subtensions of either scope in low light, lower power hunting conditions and the LRHS reticle easily wins.
At 10x power, the NXS reticle line thickness is .13MOA and the fine center lines of the LRHS reticle is .2 moa (please correct if my numbers are wrong). When holding on targets out to 1000m, neither reticle appears to cover the target any more than the other.

Comparing these two scopes, I’d say the FFP LRHS reticle has the advantage on low power in low light hunting conditions, and has no realistic disadvantage at high power because the reticle thickness is almost the same.

I’m sure there are comparisons in favor of SFP as well, but just shows that reticle design is probably more important than whether it’s SFP or FFP.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like sfp personally... 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well said--me too mostly though I also use FFP in some optics, though for the majority of varminting I do, I rarely use a FFP on the lowest power. Have had a passion for the math that defines reticle subtension for downrange zeroing and rangefinding (even adapting it for iron sights and archery sight pins) in SFP optics. Have seen some pretty amazing things accomplished applying the math at long range, especially the inversely proportional nature of subtension vs. magnification in SFP optics.

Last edited by sscoyote; 04/20/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mod7rem
litz is pretty much the polar opposite of the vibe I pick up from hodnett. I prefer litz's style. I have bought his CD's, app and books. highly recommended. Tactical shooters are kinda like oil and water to me. its tuff for me to see the value of these chassis rifles with all sorts of crap hanging off them. a 1# detachable scope base thats 3" higher than the top of the action, with a 40mm tube scope or some other truck axle tube scope that is over 3 pounds. Its like too many video games have been watched. Oh lets also top the gun off with a panzer faust muzzle brake to tame the recoil of their 6.5 creed even though the gun is 20 pounds.

FFP sucks on the lowest power
. The reason its as popular as it is, is because most shooters aren't using their scopes that often on the lowest power, Why because they are using them at the gun range mostly. peering of the edge of a finger canyon at first light, when animals are most likely to be wondering around, you want a bold reticle and you want to be able to make an off hand shot if you have to. and the argument about the SFP scope being set to the wrong power and causing a long range miss because the ticks don't line up. How about the FFP scope being set to, too high of a power and you struggle to get on the animal at first light as the bull of your dreams flashes through the quaking aspens? or how about the reticle sucking and lowest power and you can't tell a quaking aspen branch from shoulder of the deer or elk?

I think your statement is a little too far reaching. Others have already said that a well designed reticle is the key, whether it’s FFP or SFP.
These are the only comparisons I have, but I have 2 Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x compacts with mil-dot reticles and 2 Bushnell LRHS 3-12x.
I’ve shot and hunted a lot with the NXS and have recently started using the LRHS scopes.
With scopes set at 3x, I compare the reticles at very low light and the NXS mil-dot is almost invisible without the illumination. The LRHS at 3x in the same light condition is a duplex reticle that’s easy to see and get on target. I wouldn’t be using the reticle subtensions of either scope in low light, lower power hunting conditions and the LRHS reticle easily wins.
At 10x power, the NXS reticle line thickness is .13MOA and the fine center lines of the LRHS reticle is .2 moa (please correct if my numbers are wrong). When holding on targets out to 1000m, neither reticle appears to cover the target any more than the other.

Comparing these two scopes, I’d say the FFP LRHS reticle has the advantage on low power in low light hunting conditions, and has no realistic disadvantage at high power because the reticle thickness is almost the same.

I’m sure there are comparisons in favor of SFP as well, but just shows that reticle design is probably more important than whether it’s SFP or FFP.

Careful, the guys with very little real-world experience with FFP scopes are going to come back and tell you you're wrong. grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This thread has been entertaining, informative, given me a lot more things to think about & look up. I may even have learned a few things. At my age & with all the gear I currently have & have used for quite a while, I'm probably not going to change much. But at least I have a better understanding of some things.

Thank you all for not turning this into an off the rails clown show. Foolishness can be fun at times & I've been guilty myself, but with every thread it just becomes BS.

Thanks again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All this FFP, SFP and scope leveling talk makes me want to just hunt with open sights, or continue with my beloved upland bird hunts. My head hurtsfrown

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A SS 3-9 on 3X is easily visible in last light against trees etc.to my eyes. Can’t remember (if ever) the last time I carried a rifle below 5X/6X.

Granted, a 3-9 in SFP would be just as usable IMO. A top end of 15X/20X makes no sense to me in SFP.

Don’t claim to be a long range shooter so take it for what’s its worth.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Funny how we end up in the weeds with scope, rifle, bullet, cartridge, etc. when in reality there is a lot more important things to a successful hunt IMO.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
All this FFP, SFP and scope leveling talk makes me want to just hunt with open sights, or continue with my beloved upland bird hunts. My head hurtsfrown

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Why anyone buys a long range scope to hunt with on its lowest power? Maters not if I'm hunting with a FFP or SFP scope I never set it on the lowest power, not even in the woods.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
Use what works for you. A lot of folks do pretty well with both of them.

At the end of the day why does it matter what the other guy uses?

exactly, I agree,

there is just so much elitism around here regarding this subject. every optic trades off something. it could be large objective and good at low light, or small and poor at low light. You can't really make a scope do everything well. I show these videos of john making these shots to show what is possible.

You tend to come on the "fire" a couple times a year to push your SFP over FFP agenda.....and seem to be looking for validation, why not use whatever your happy with and let the elitist use what makes them happy!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have used the LRTS 3-12X and ATACR 4-16 FFP scope chasing critters here in the Idaho Backcountry - and both were very good and up to the task. Now I am playing with a 2nd Focal Plane NF 2.5-10X42 NXS and so far I am equally impressed. I wouldn't feel handicaped with any of the three mentioned above.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 308xray, 17 invisible), 15,116 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,974
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.