Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...oronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

first batch of results has generated more controversy than clarity.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Public peer review - isn't this special. Just more "political" science.

The only way to get useful data is to start opening things back up and observe.

W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Of course they are poo pooing the study. Doesn’t fit the agenda. Is it any more flawed than the models they used to usher in depression 2.0? According to cdc statistics readily available on their website. People 45 and under make up 3% of the total fatalities. 55 and under 8%. 92% of the deaths are 65 and over. Many with conditions leading to complications. 1/3 of the deaths are from nursing homes. On the aircraft carrier that had the outbreak 5400 sailors tested 60% tested positive with no symptoms. 1 person died and 9 hospitalized. The fatality was 41. Of course these are healthy young adults but still. My 30 yo son who is an ICU nurse had it. Low grade fever and felt like [bleep] for 2-3 days. His 35 yo friend also a nurse same thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ro1459
In another post, I told everyone that I was part of the antibody study here in South Tennessee. The criteria for acceptance was you had to have been sick between December and March, tested negative for the flu, recovered without going to the hospital, and had all of the other symptoms of COVID 19. I had all but the high fever. I was one of 25 people tested here on this past Monday. I had to sign a non-disclosure that was ended today. I did test positive for the antibody virus. Out of 25 people tested, 18 of us had COVID-19 antibodies, two were inconclusive, and five were negative. The nurse said that they are drawing no conclusions from this study at this time. She did tell me that 10,000 people were in this original test from all over America. She also warned me that just because I tested positive for COVIS-19 antibodies, does not mean I can't get it again. They just don't know. She said that they have no idea how many people actually have had this virus and until everyone is tested, no one will know. I am 71 and 50 pounds over weight. If I can survive this, so can most people. And NO, I do not want to get again.

BTW, Georgia is opening up its businesses this Friday and Tennessee will do the same on May 1.

My wife is 64, had a kidney transplant 14 tears ago, so is taking anti-rejection drugs that knock her immune system down. In January my grandaughter stayed with us for a few days and was pretty sick, laid around on the couch and was lethargic inthe max, very unusual for her as she is an athlete. She had a nontypical mycobacterium when she was 4, which nearly got her, they strain was from South America (imagine that) and as such she gets hit by viral infections pretty hard. Could not go to school so she stayed with Granny...14 days later the wife hit the floor, literally, she ran a high grade fever for 8 days and finally on a Friday when I got in from a business trip, she could not lift her head and was seeing things, her dead mother etc...

Ambulance trip to ER, Jackson General Hospital did not want to keep her as they are not equipped to deal with kidney patients, their African (spoke almost understandable English) sent her on to Vanderbilt where her Transplant Team is, we did not argue. Noted that she tested negative for the flu. Get to Vanderbilt (she told me next time they want to send her in an ambulance to Nashville on I-40, just give her a blanket and a pillow and strap her in the bed of my Tundra, said it was the most excruciatingly painful ride of her life...

8 days in ICU, they said she tested positive for H1N1 and Type A flu, (she has had both in the past) but was like a rag doll, never did intubate her but her Oxygen stayed at dangerous levels for a full week.

I want her to get the antibody test, bet a dollar against a doughnut she had the Covid virus as did the grand daughter and probably me. I snotted for a few days and ran a low grade fever about a week later, sore throat and hacked for a month.

Last edited by worriedman; 04/22/20.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MILES58
Yes Minnesota will break 500 deaths from Covid 19 and likely it will be between 1000 and 5000 minimum.

160 dead as of this a.m. , trending down as of 4/17.

stats

1k? meh, possibly and confirming them all as covid? probably a reach. 5K? They aint no Phuggin way.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before we get our hopes up with the California test results, they are not peer reviewed, the Netherlands tested 10,000 blood donations and found only a 3% infection rate

Around the world each state is choosing their own paths. We shall see which ones end up working best.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 04/22/20.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy also a kidney transplant had a mother of a flu, worst in his life. It's a bad flu this year. My grand daughter and my daughter-in- law got nailed with it too. But if you snotted, you didn't have COVID-19 . Be very thankful, but you could still catch it. My buddy looks on COVID-19 as a death sentence.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here is a challenge for those doing peer review. It is being reported today that the first virus deaths in the USA occurred in CA about three weeks before the supposed reported first deaths in Washington. I think that would Imply a large infected population group in CA.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Lennie
Here is a challenge for those doing peer review. It is being reported today that the first virus deaths in the USA occurred in CA about three weeks before the supposed reported first deaths in Washington. I think that would Imply a large infected population group in CA.

REALLY?????????

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the early days , they had a hard time with the tests. A "so who knew". But the virus being simple, makes tracking it's DNA easier. The Californian virus came from Washington state, not the other way around. We went to s rock and gem show in northern Seattle March 8, looking back on it, that was a mistake.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
In the early days , they had a hard time with the tests. A "so who knew". But the virus being simple, makes tracking it's DNA easier. The Californian virus came from Washington state, not the other way around. We went to s rock and gem show in northern Seattle March 8, looking back on it, that was a mistake.

06 Feb was long before first reported death in Washington state. I posted a thread on this earlier today.

From Washington Post

Autopsies find first U.S. coronavirus death occurred in early February, weeks earlier than previously thought

At least two people who died in early and mid-February had contracted the novel coronavirus, health officials in California said Tuesday, signaling that the virus may have spread — and claimed lives — in the United States weeks earlier than previously thought.

Tissue samples taken during autopsies of two individuals who died at home in Santa Clara County, Calif., tested positive for the virus, local health officials said in a statement. The victims died on Feb. 6 and Feb. 17, respectively.

Initially, the nation’s earliest coronavirus fatality was believed to have occurred on Feb. 29, in Kirkland, Wash., a suburb of Seattle that rapidly became a hotspot. In March, health officials there linked two Feb. 26 deaths to covid-19, the disease caused by the new virus.

The Santa Clara County fatalities push the earliest coronavirus-related fatality back by weeks, with the new findings potentially altering the timeline of the U.S. outbreak.

“The fact that there were deaths related to covid back in early February is very significant because it means the virus was around for a lot longer than was initially realized,” Jeff Smith, a physician and the county executive in Santa Clara, told The Washington Post. “It’s been around for a while and it’s probably been spreading in the community for quite some time.”

It is not yet known exactly how the two people became infected, but Sara Cody, the county’s public health officer, told The Post that the cases are believed to be community transmissions.

“From what I understand, we don’t know of any travel history,” said Cody, who is also a doctor. “More investigation will be done to try and confirm that that’s the case.”

The connection between the February deaths and coronavirus did not become apparent until now due to strict limitations on testing at the time, Cody said.

Both of the Santa Clara County deaths occurred as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had tightly restricted tests to those who displayed respiratory symptoms and recently traveled to China or had close contact with an infected person. Cody said local officials often had to call the CDC and discuss the specifics of individual cases before the agency would grant permission for testing.

“We did have a very uncomfortable feeling that we were missing cases because we didn’t have the tests to be able to confirm,” Cody said. “This tells us that yes, we were definitely missing cases.”

Additionally, the early deaths could mean that many covid-19 patients may have been misdiagnosed very early this year, Eric Topol, a geneticist and researcher who directs the Scripps Research Translational Institute, told The Post.

“How many of those were presumed to be flu or pneumonia when they were actually covid-19?” he said.

Cody said she credits the discovery of the infections to the county’s “thoughtful, astute medical examiner,” who sent tissue samples from the two people to the CDC. The positive test results were confirmed Tuesday.

These two fatalities, along with a third on March 6, also indicate that the coronavirus was likely spreading earlier and further in the San Francisco Bay area than local officials initially believed. So far, Santa Clara County has tallied 88 coronavirus-related deaths, including five new deaths reported Tuesday. The county now has 1,946 confirmed cases.

As Cody explained it, each severe covid-19 case or death “represent tips of icebergs of unknown size.”

“Every time when I see someone in the ICU or someone who dies, what that says to me is that represents many more infections,” she said.

Santa Clara County’s first locally transmitted case of the virus was reported on Feb. 28, in 68-year old Azar Ahrabi, who later became the region’s first known death on March 9.

But the three new deaths show that the coronavirus had in fact killed others in the county, which includes the city of San Jose as well as Silicon Valley, days if not weeks before Ahrabi died — a sign that the virus may have been introduced to the region as early as late January, said Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University.

Modeling for epidemics rely heavily on the start date of an outbreak, Bhattacharya told The Post. If that date gets pushed back, models must be redone and reviewed, increasing the number of people believed to be infected right now, he said.

An outbreak in the Bay Area was first detected at the beginning of March, as reported cases reached the double-digits and the virus believed to be mostly concentrated on the West Coast. On March 16, Santa Clara County became one of the first counties in the country to order residents to stay at home, The Post’s Scott Wilson reported, a move that was considered among the strictest steps taken nationally to enforce social distancing and reduce people’s exposure to the virus.

In light of Tuesday’s news, Cody said the county’s shelter-in-place directive was “definitely the right call.”

“It’s a very blunt tool, but it’s an effective way of slowing the spread and if you already have significant levels of circulation of the virus that’s really your best and only tool,” she said.

Smith, the county executive, echoed Cody’s sentiments, stressing that the deaths from February and March should be a clear message that such orders must remain in place. Recently, more governors, largely fueled by encouragement from President Trump, have begun working toward reopening their states, with Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) announcing Monday a controversial plan to lift restrictions on a large number of businesses there on Friday.

“I hope sincerely and deeply that the message gets across very clearly that we cannot relax shelter-in-place at this point because we don’t have enough testing to know with any type of certainty which areas of the community and which people have the virus,” Smith said.

Click here for complete coronavirus coverage on the Microsoft News app on Windows 10, iOS and Android
Elsewhere in the U.S., other signs have surfaced in recent months hinting at the possibility that infections may have been occurring earlier than previously believed.

A recent genetic analysis of virus samples found that the virus may have spread undetected for weeks in Washington state, which reported what was previously believed to be the country’s first two deaths, The Post reported. Similarly, research from the Mount Sinai Health System in New York concluded that the virus was also spreading there for many weeks before the state’s shutdown order on March 22.

Ethan Weiss, a professor at the University of California at San Francisco, said that he expects to see additional deaths like the ones in February, or even earlier.

“It would be shocking, given what I know about travel between Wuhan and the Bay Area, if there weren’t cases here in mid-January,” Weiss told The Post.

On Tuesday, officials in Santa Clara County concurred with Weiss, noting that they also anticipate the number of coronavirus-related fatalities in the area to increase as the medical examiner continues to investigate deaths.

“In retrospect, even though we were detecting relatively little, we had quite a bit,” Cody said. “This confirms that we had a lot more than we recognized.”

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by heavywalker
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...virus-study-finds/ar-BB12W5mG?li=BBnb7Kz

If true things need to open up immediately, and the politicians that wrecked the world economy need to be fed to the hogs.

" "The estimates also suggest that we might have to re-calibrate disease prediction models and rethink public health strategies.""

lol, ya think?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

“In retrospect, even though we were detecting relatively little, we had quite a bit,” Cody said. “This confirms that we had a lot more than we recognized.”

What a genius.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave

What a genius.

LOL

Sounds like something Sleepy Joe might say.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 66 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.