Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I submit that the deer are gonna smell you anyway if they're downwind of you.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought this would be brought up. They might, but why give them such a heavy scent stream if you can avoid it? To my way of thinking if I clean up real well, they might get a faint Windfall whiff, but they won't know if it is a human at 200 yards or 50 yards in which case it would be too late I hope. Give them a nose full of something as foreign smelling as a strong oil based Break Free or the like and you wouldn't even know they were there. Just a theory, but my trophy room is't half bad doing what I do. It probably depends on where you hunt too. I can get away with a lot more when I'm hunting farm land deer that are use to people than I can hunting deep woods deer.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All in good fun. I actually shot the biggest buck of my life while I had a cigar butt clamped in my mouth.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
All in good fun. I actually shot the biggest buck of my life while I had a cigar butt clamped in my mouth.

My father used to drink coffee and eat Pop Tarts (pre plastic envelope) that he warmed against his Jon-e hand warmer. He got plenty of deer too. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since someone mentioned ATF was developed as a substitute for sperm oil I'll say that RIG gun grease was developed as a substitute for cosmoline during WWII. Just as effective in long term storage and shipment but easy to wipe off the excess and get the weapon in service in short order.

But not for lubrication. Over years RIG will turn waxy and gum stuff up. Also stiffens in cold weather. Finally not much film strength. For lubrication I like Break Free in a needle oiler or Valvoline SynPower moly fortified synthetic grease where I want high film strength. It's a lot like the expensive stuff Brownell's sells in the little jar, Action Lube II IIRC. Just the thing for snow blowers too. Firearms made with modern steel need little lubrication

And for internal corrosion protection I like Brownell's Rust Preventive No.2. Spray the stuff on after a deep cleaning, blow off the excess, and it dries to a thin film adhering to the metal. Which is all you need for where the film can't be disturbed by your sweaty little fingers.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy a quart of syn ATF. It will outlast your grandkids

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Snowwolfe,

And cost a lot less--though you can spend the money saved on grandchildren!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on what I’m using it for.

Rem Oil
G96 Gun Treatment
Breakfree CLP
Pro Gold Lubricant

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike,

Short version: Breakfree CLP

Reasons:
1) It's commonly available. You can find it nearly anywhere guns are sold.
2) It's not outrageously priced. $6-7 for a 4oz can isn't bad as far as gun specific oils are concerned.
3) It's been proven over time to work decently at what it claims to do (I find it's weakest attribute is as a cleaner). It may not be the best lube or protectant out there, but it's still good at both.
4) While it does thicken a bit in very cold weather (sub-zero temps) it still is fairly thin and shouldn't impede firearm function (not a consideration for Florida).

The biggest downside is the smell is a bit strong.

I also like Ballistol and find it a better cleaner than Breakfree CLP but maybe it trails a bit as a lube or protectant. Still good enough on both counts for my uses. It is safe on wood, plastics, leather, etc and is non-toxic which I like. It can also be used to clean up fouling from black powder if you dabble in that area as well. Some people claim it smells like wet socks and to others it smells faintly of licorice. I have the non-aerosol can and I think it smells faintly of licorice. It's also not commonly available, except perhaps on-line.

But I also don't have to deal with a humid or salt-water environment. If looking for a top protectant I'd look at:
Guardian LP
Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner w/ DynaGlide
Corrosion X
Eesox
Frog Lube (may gum in cold weather. Again, not a consideration for Florida).

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Since 2007, the only gun "oil" I use is prolix. It goes on wet like water, dries completely dry like water, and I have never had better protection. I highly recommend people take a look at it. You can google prolix lubricant. You can literally dunk your equipment in it, let it drip dry, and your stuff is protected. It is not oily but dries to an invisible barrier over the metal. Love it and only use it. Even in the high humidity of Houston, I never get rust of any kind. I run a wet patch of it through my barrels at the end of the season and it is good to go. They also sell a thicker "grease" that is great for slides.

Last edited by Win70brett; 08/03/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
... sometimes people clean their rifle bore to much.

Yah think?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best way to mask scent is to follow Rover's system and go roll around in some manure.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Whatever you use, it didn't cost enough. Everyone knows gun oils work better the more you spend.

I heard my buddy's friend got some of the cleaner/lubricant that they used in the space shuttle. Apparently, it's worth something like $800 an ounce, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, my buddy's friend swears that when he used a single patch of it on his tiller that had been sitting out all winter, it not only removed the dirt and rust, but it bonded with the metal, filling in the cracks and pitting. Oddly, it also restored the red paint that was applied new at the factory. Amazing.

He said he was gonna clean his wife with it. They've been married for 35 years and he said she's in bad shape.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Steve
Please post the final results when your buddy uses it on his wife.
(If your buddy is still alive and capable of speech)

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just got off the phone with him. Here are the before and after pictures. I think this should prove, beyond all doubt, that the more you spend on gun oil, the better the result.

Before

[Linked Image]

After a single NASA Gun Oil treatment

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Whatever you use, it didn't cost enough. Everyone knows gun oils work better the more you spend.

I heard my buddy's friend got some of the cleaner/lubricant that they used in the space shuttle. Apparently, it's worth something like $800 an ounce, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, my buddy's friend swears that when he used a single patch of it on his tiller that had been sitting out all winter, it not only removed the dirt and rust, but it bonded with the metal, filling in the cracks and pitting. Oddly, it also restored the red paint that was applied new at the factory. Amazing.

He said he was gonna clean his wife with it. They've been married for 35 years and he said she's in bad shape.

Ah, yes, that tired old line dreamed up by some huckster and blindly accepted by too many: "You get what you pay for." wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's a slippery slope that you're walking. A person could go off on a tangent about spending more than they can afford on rifle scopes, rifles, binoculars, bullets, etc.

Wait a minute! Isn't that happening on other parts of this board?

I wonder, has anyone got into a discussion about not going hunting with a domestic truck or 4x4? I'm thinking that you cannot be a successful hunter if you drive a Ford or a Chevy! I think the minimum would be a Mercedes 4x4 or a Range Rover. One's gun oil should not be transported in a North American made vehicle.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For quick wipe down I use whatever I have on hand.....a silicon cloth, Remoil, or Breakfree CLP. For lube in tight places I do like Gun Butter with the needle tip....puts lube right where you want it with no waste.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Damn have only hunted out of the Mercedes sedan or coups, need to upgrade.

So if anyone knows, do the polarizing and other additives make any difference? Is Teflon good bad or indifferent?

After this thread it will be ATF or Ed's Red for clean up, Mobil 1 for lube, Axle grease (cup grease?) for storage and a variation of the Samuri plant based oils for knives and hunting when scent might matter. I am still looking for ways to make Ed's Red have that auh de parfum of Hoppes #9 getting darn close with some banana oil, plant based benzene and a little orange oil. Bought some mil surplus bore cleaner that I think was 50% Benzene, gives you PTSD after one use.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Paul39
Lately I've been using Lucas Gun Oil for lubrication, after I read a very positive review by a guy who had kept careful records on maintenance of high usage range rental guns. I got it at NAPA auto parts, and it seems a bit cheaper, or at least less over priced than most gun juices where you pay for the hype.

Paul

Was at an auto parts store a few months ago and saw a small bottle of Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Bought it and began using it with excellent results. It stays put, is very slippery and doesn't burn off.

It isn't a CLP, nor AFIK a rust preventative, but it is a superior lubricant for everything I've tried it on. Comes in a neat, well made container with a pinpoint metal applicator tip.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (163bc, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.