Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Concerning rifles and shooting define the subject in your opinion!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As I understand it:
Accuracy is putting a bullet hole in the exact spot you intend to hit with a bullet.

Precision is the ability to align sights, squeeze the trigger and have bullets land in close proximity.

When Precision is combined with Accuracy, Competency is the result.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Junebug nailed it...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Accuracy is left up to who's behind the butt plate!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Accuracy is left up to who's behind the butt plate!

Exactly, that individual is responsible for choosing (very wisely) the correct optic, load, trigger and platform he uses. With this being said, there are far more accurate platforms than i've seen humans. Then again, there are some humans that are capable of far better accuracy, but don't know how to fine tune their platform... Hence, you are only as good as your equipment... Choose that chidt wisely...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hold a different definition that that in the photo shown by BSA1917

I work in elecrtical engineering where precision and accuracy can have a meaning that is similar, but not necessarily identical, to that photo shown.

but I spend my paycheck and free time shooting, where I feel the meanings are different.

in shooting. "Accuracy" means "group size", so upper right and lower right are both "accurate". Upper right, however is not "zeroed". (in the EE world we would call that "calibrated" or the upper right is "not tuned" or "out of adjustment". The two right side figures are "repeatable", the two left figures, less so.)

"Precise", to me means to step size to which you can measure or calibrate or zero the gun, so a target scope with 1/8moa clicks has more "precise" adjustments than the 1moa clicks on an M1 rear sight.

I almost always use the word "accurate" to describe the group size of the gun, or the shooter's ability to shoot it.

I use the term "precision" as a word to group together the other shooting sports that are not "practical" (for "practical" I often use the word "action") The "precision" shooting sports are scored by group size, or rather closeness of shots to the center, in a given time. The "action" shooting sports are scored by time or speed on given target.

by that definition, "Precision" is NRA/CMP/Olympic rifle and pistol and a few other things, even hit/miss sports like silhouette. Whereas "action" is IDPA, 3-gun, IPSC, ICORE I think, etc....

Recently one magazine, the Rifleman I think, had an article where they put the NRA/CMP/Olympic rifle and pistol type events in a category they called "classic" and used "precision" for PRS and things like that. I forge if they used the word "action" or "practical" for the speed shooting.

Performing well in a "precision" shooting sport requires one's rifle or pistol to be both "accurate" and "zeroed".

Poole

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I hold a different definition that that in the photo shown by BSA1917

I work in elecrtical engineering where precision and accuracy can have a meaning that is similar, but not necessarily identical, to that photo shown.

but I spend my paycheck and free time shooting, where I feel the meanings are different.

in shooting. "Accuracy" means "group size", so upper right and lower right are both "accurate". Upper right, however is not "zeroed". (in the EE world we would call that "calibrated" or the upper right is "not tuned" or "out of adjustment". The two right side figures are "repeatable", the two left figures, less so.)

"Precise", to me means to step size to which you can measure or calibrate or zero the gun, so a target scope with 1/8moa clicks has more "precise" adjustments than the 1moa clicks on an M1 rear sight.

I almost always use the word "accurate" to describe the group size of the gun, or the shooter's ability to shoot it.

I use the term "precision" as a word to group together the other shooting sports that are not "practical" (for "practical" I often use the word "action") The "precision" shooting sports are scored by group size, or rather closeness of shots to the center, in a given time. The "action" shooting sports are scored by time or speed on given target.

by that definition, "Precision" is NRA/CMP/Olympic rifle and pistol and a few other things, even hit/miss sports like silhouette. Whereas "action" is IDPA, 3-gun, IPSC, ICORE I think, etc....

Recently one magazine, the Rifleman I think, had an article where they put the NRA/CMP/Olympic rifle and pistol type events in a category they called "classic" and used "precision" for PRS and things like that. I forge if they used the word "action" or "practical" for the speed shooting.

Performing well in a "precision" shooting sport requires one's rifle or pistol to be both "accurate" and "zeroed".

Poole

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is this the Bill Poole assigned to the MTU at Benning?? On second thought I think that was Tommy Poole!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Potato-pototo. One shot one kill.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In simple terms to me anyways

accuracy is what the rifle is capable of.

Precision is what the shooter is capable of.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I MIGHT HAVE TO AGREE WITH MONTANACREEK !..... AND DOLLARSHORT.... AND BILL POOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s pretty simple. Precision is putting the bullet in the same hole every time. Accuracy is putting the bullet in the intended POI.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thank you. But it'll still go on for about 10 more pages, with multiple target photos.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jordan Smith has it correct!

This is the target I use all the way back to wherever I'm shooting from.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]AR500 by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

I am not satisfied to just hit anywhere on the AR500 plate...rather I am annal about getting the first shot in the center and I have taught all of my children and grandchildren that this is their goal whether they wish to shoot in formal competition or just on their own.

This is my rifle:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]6547 by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

It was built by Jon Beanland with PRECISION! It will literally shoot a 'ragged hole' at 100 yards by a competent shooter!

I shot these eight rounds recently from 900 yards which I covered with the palm of my hand but I missed the wind call a bit because the group is not centered so in my opinion I was NOT ACCURATE in placing all my shots where I wished them to go!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Jordan.

Different things, but you need both to succeed.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It’s pretty simple. Precision is putting the bullet in the same hole every time. Accuracy is putting the bullet in the intended POI.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
In simple terms to me anyways
Accuracy is what the rifle is capable of.
Precision is what the shooter is capable of.

That's how I see it......

Accuracy, meaning groups, is the universal language. One of the first questions on a gun sale is "How does it shoot?" Nobody answers "Really precise!" WTF would that mean?

In point blank 100/200 yard Benchrest shooting, group size, (accuracy) is the ultimate goal, the smaller the better, no such thing as too small. Doesn't matter where on the target you print your group, as long as it's inside the border, & preferably not dead center, as it obliterates your aiming point. So absolute precision does not come into play.

In Hunter Benchrest, you have 5 separate bullseyes to shoot, one shot at each, the goal, hopefully, is to hit dead center in the ten ring and also hit the 1/8" dot in the middle, for a 50 with 5X's score. So not only do you need ultimate accuracy, but the precision to place each shot in the middle of each bull.

In 600/1000 yard Benchrest shooting, the goal is to shoot the smallest group, in the middle of the target, which allows you to score the most points possible. Each relay has a group and score winner, you can't win both, group takes precedence. Accuracy is still needed to shoot small groups at distance, hopefully to have the precision to place them in the middle.

Precision
Rifle Series isn't dependent on balls out accuracy, as the 3 examples above, but more on the precision aspect to reliably hit the targets every shot.

[Linked Image from azquotes.com]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Groups out in the 5 ring IMO is not accuracy! Putting all shots in the middle of the 10 ring is accuracy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Despite incorrect usage by some, the terms "precision" and "accuracy" have actual scientific definitions and meanings. "Precision" refers to the level of repeatability from measurement to measurement (or in this case, shot to shot), and accuracy refers to the variation between the measured value and the true value (or in this case, the POI versus the intended POI).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Despite incorrect usage by some, the terms "precision" and "accuracy" have actual scientific definitions and meanings. "Precision" refers to the level of repeatability from measurement to measurement (or in this case, shot to shot), and accuracy refers to the variation between the measured value and the true value (or in this case, the POI versus the intended POI).

I think it was Steelhead that said once when it comes to shooting "Do a group to find a load but I'm more interested in hitting stuff. Can I put round 1 into what I want"

Me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.