-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
someone once said don't take life so seriously, you'll never get out alive. I tend to live by that statement........Blake

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Moderators need to kill this thread...

I've got a cold beer that says it ain't gonna happen. Rick isn't quick to pull the plug on threads nor people. That's a good thing.

Now, lets talk about a bear forum...
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the thread killers should butt out shocked

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
wink grin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Painless
someone once said don't take life so seriously, you'll never get out alive. I tend to live by that statement........Blake

+1

Isn't Elvis still making a fortune?

I miss Stickisms. He always answered my PM's and never made me feel foolish for asking him stuff. Maybe it's because I don't have a big ego? Dunno...

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I can't understand is the fact that there is an ignore this user button, if you don't like what someone says you do not have to read it. Most adults realize this........Blake

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like many of the others already stated, Stick answered ALL my pm's and saved me hundreds of dollars in the process. He freely shared information with me and I appreciate that. Stick strikes me as a hard a hard working family man who enjoys life and knows what he wants out of it. Gotta respect that.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by rost495

Someone posts a photo of me in a dress and lipstick, I"ll have to fly north and kick some.....you've been warned, I"m a mean American of German/Czech(Heinz 57 if you will) heritage!

Jeff

Jeff
If such a picture exists, we'd really like to see it. Maybe. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff's a Texas. Should such a picture exists you can bet your rump that he is in a dress, lipsticked, and wearing Cowboy boots. smile

Jim

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Painless
Don (savage99) you are a delusional [bleep] moron, the fact that you say you met Stick is complete bullshit as the man would jump through hoops just to not meet your sorry azz.........Blake

Don, I ain't sure but it's looking like Blake don't care for you a whole lot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reckon a lad could do worse for friends.

There's something knowing you can count on a pard no matter what.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys need to go do some hunting or fishing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stickstickstickstickstickstickstickstickstickstickstick..

aw chit. I was gonna type a page of that to see if I could get the stick bashers to stroke out. too much work.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walleye are hitting hard in my AO. We put a hurtin to em the other nite.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rest assured Don is full of [bleep], and he rates right up there with used condoms in my book.........Blake

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DANNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ........Hasn't the freakin snow thawed YET?????????

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
It's funny, in a strange sorta way, but like many of these "discussions" this would be much ado about nothing were we around a carbon-based campfire rather than one electron-based. We all have far more in common than a casual observer may believe.

I've always kinda' thought that would be the case too...

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I met Don outside Tongass Dockside store last year when his cruise ship stopped in Ketchikan, he seemed, well odd that day...

[Linked Image]

C'mon, tell truth. That's your latest girlfriend--ain't it? smile

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Stick should have his own cable TV show. I bet he would be way more entertaining than Tred Barta. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Wish I knew what it was - he didn't seem to reticent about sharing his views and opinions and I thought was what his fans liked about him.

Yep, thats what I liked about Stick. He knew what/who he liked and why.....

YOU GUYS WITH 6X42 SCOPES ON YOUR BEAR RIFLES CAN SEE TOO FAR. I LOVE MY 6X42 BUT LIKE TO SHOOT MY BEARS TOO CLOSE FOR A 6X. MY CHOICE IS THE LITTLE 2 1/2 Leupold COMPACT ALTHOUGH I JUST PUT A 3X Leupold ON A NEW 9.3X62. IF YOU HAVE TO MAGNIFY A BEAR MORE THAN 2 1/2 or 3 TIMES YOU ARE TOO FAR AWAY. IMO

Big Stick
The 2.5 Compact is a huge POS,as compared to the 6x42.

It ain't a matter of magnification,it's a matter of aquisition and I'll Drag Race for Pink Slips,with the 6x42.

Anyone that can drive a well fitting rifle with both eyes open,ain't gonna be plagued in a up close and personal tussle via 6x42.

The 2.5x would be amongst my last picks,if only because I own one....................

I agree that the 6x42, especially the newest Leupolds, are great scopes. I have carried one on my 30-06 for nearly thirty years and killed a few big bears using it however in my opinion there are a lot better scopes for a dedicated bear rifle.
The late African PH and gun writer Finn Aagaard and I both did a number of tests while he was alive and on three other occations I actually timed myself plus a number of other highly experienced Alaska bear guides and without exception they all made faster hits with the low power scopes - and yes we used the 6x42 also. I also know the military also prefers low powered optics for CQB rifles and they also have more than a little experience.
I guess it's differences of opinion that make a horse race and if someone tells me he is faster on target with a 6 than a 2 1/2, and actually had someone else do measured and unbiased timing, I guess I'll believe him. By that reasoning a big 12x should be even faster?

Big Stick
Aquisition isn't a lineal function,based on magnification solely.

It is a series of concessions melded together,to yield a high speed instrument.

What the 6x42 has over the 2.5x Compact,is a copious ocular,which of course is where aquisition begins.

The 2.5x reminds of a peephole on the front door. You gotta phiddle [bleep] your eye into place,to get the view on the exit side. Sure...the FOV is generous,but the start of aquisition is so compromised in comparison,that the FOV attribute is moot.

Open the door and gawk out...dat's the 6x42,with it's generous ocular,no critical eye-relief and friendly eyebox working in perfect harmony.....................
-----------------------------------------------------------------
When both Finn and I set up our original tests we had a person with a stopwatch who would give the GO command and start the watch and as soon as the shot was fired, stop it. There are now electronic timers that do it. Shooters started with their back to the target and on command turned and fired as quick as possible. Only hits counted. I have also done this with a ninety degree turn and directly facing the target with a low gun.
I don't care what the theoretical optical superority may be on larger powered scopes; for me, as well as everyone I have seen tested, low power scopes are noticibly quicker on target. If 6x42's were faster you would see them on all SWAT rifles and all over Iraq since troops can now purchase off-the-shelf gear.

I have never had any problem with the little Leupold and have been using them ever since they came out. If your rifle stock fits you should not have a problem sighting through the 2 1/2 Leupold. The hole on ghost ring peep sights are a lot smaller and are blazingly fast if you know how to use them.
If Big Stick , I hate this anonomous stuff- who are you and what are your qualifications and shooting experiences ?- has problems with the little 2 1/2 Leupold scope then he should choose whatever works best for him. Is the wide open view from your front door magnified 6x, (ie 1/6th the size) or if it was do you think it would be faster to use?

The 2.5x's ocular,will fit comfortably INSIDE the 6x42's.

As to shooting 'Ghinnies,lots of 'em are hosed daily,with glass exceeding 6x magnification.

Now...if the 2.5x wore the 6x's ocular,one could run with both rapid aquisition and a generous FOV,but that isn't a current option(nor is it pending).

Within any given magnification range,there are specimens within those ranks,that are more user friendly.

Not all glass is created equally,despite sharing numerical designators.....................
Left to right: 6x42,2.5x,3.5-10x.

As to full race glass(speed at all costs),nothing seriously considered,has an ocular as small as the 2.5x's. Be it dot-sights,halo's or a traditional scope. For conversation,the 3.5-10x smokes the 2.5x,so it's not just a 6x42 trademark to do so.

I'm a Ghost Ring fan,drive a multitude of iron configurations from a Garand,CETME,AR to Anschutz Match aperature sights. My eyes are not once they were,so I'm not as good as I once was with them and favor glass as a means of correcting my sight.

Long way of sayin',just because 2.5x is stamped on the sample,that ain't an automatic conclusion from which to draw speed of aquisition.

'Course,I shoot an open mind and try alotta things and am not under the illusion that M4's wearing the 2.5x Compact,is what's keeping my Country safe.....................

We are in agreement that the view from the 6x42 is superb and if you choose to use one for close range bears it is a free country and if it works for you that's great.
For me, I'm not only backing up paying clients but when it's my butt on the line I choose to use the 2 1/2 compact as I know from twenty-five years experience and numerous ultra close range bears that it works for me.
It's a good thing we all don't agree as the gun and scope manufacturers would all go broke.

Other folks' money,doesn't influence my tackle.

I weigh results,solely and that's why the 2.5x sets in the stands.........................

Don't know what you are alluding to about other peoples money but when my life is on the line only performance counts.
You still havn't introduced yourself.

Alluding to nothing.

Dying ain't much of a living.

I am me.................

Big Stick, I figured you were you and that is the problem I have with these forums. In order to carry on a civil and intelligent conversation all sides need to be open with who they are and how they earned their opinions. I don't answer letters from folks too embarrased to sign their name and see no reason normal folks on these forums should either.

Everyone dies -- the unfortunate thing is most people don't really live.

My favorite color is blue,but that really ain't prudent to the crux of the discussion.

There's lotsa "names" that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground,same goes those,less a shard of notoriety. Pretty easy to discern who's a fan and who's a player,less being troubled with their favorite flavor of ice cream.

Mel Gibson delivered that line well.........................

Big Stick, you are right again about many "names" not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground and there are plenty of "no names" out there with a world load of knowledge and experiences. Sometimes it gets a bit confusing sorting them all out.

There's some very good stuff mulled over on these pages,some guys are famouser than others,but most share genuine enthusiasms.

Like anything,a guy's just gotta seperate the wheat from the chaff,but that typically isn't too hard.................
You boys will notice a trend here.

All the glass mentioned,tote an ocular diameter greater than the 2.5x and that reiterates my point.

Trumping the 2.5x isn't solely a 6x42 virtue,as it's pretty easy to do.............................

I must be a beady eyed little rascal as my eyes don't have any trouble seeing through peep sights with a 1/4" hole and compared with those the ocular on my 2 1/2 Leupold looks like a picture window.

If the 2.5x is a picture window,the 6x42 is a scenic overlook,less the pane.................(pun there)

Guys, this thread is getting a little old for me. You guys keep poking your bears out of windows. I've got to get ready for bear season. Have a good spring and summer. I'll get back on from time to time when I fly into Naknek and the Russian cannery workers aren't tying up all the computors.

Phil,laffin' here. I mean who REALLY gives a [bleep] how anyone else skins a cat?!!?

Bears are moving here and I look to be salting the first hide,pretty quick........................

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.