Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I shot an armed home invasion intruder with a 12 gauge and Federal #4 buckshot. It is the same shotgun and load that I keep in the house today, along with a .40 S&W loaded with Federal Hydro-Shoks.

A little sheetrock repair, some paint and life was back to normal for you, I hope. šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A shotgun is a great self-defense weapon. Personally I use two #4 in front of three 000 buck for home defense. I've shot thousands of sharks with everything from a 458 to a 22, and a shotgun loaded with bird shot at 6' was as good or better than everything we tried. Believe it or not bird shot seemed to have more stopping power than buckshot at 6' or less. Buckshot would completely penetrate through the shark where as birdshot wouldn't.

Life is good live it while you can.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If you hear somebody in your house holler hey listen then rack a round in your pump shotgun. If they arenā€™t totally stupid they will then be seen running out the door. Lol. Ed k

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Beaver10
. . . Getting off anything more than a snap shot before the burglar disappears behind a wall, or through a doorway, or down a hall juking and sliding trying to get out of the house was the norm from what I watched.

Made me think the average homeowner might do better with a gauge as their choice for home protection. . .

I don't think it is the pellets from a shotgun shell that makes the difference. It is "accuracy" which is drastically improved by the longer sight radius of the barrel of a shotgun or rifle that makes the difference. It is easier for a novice to control the accurate pointing of the muzzle of a long arm than a relative short handgun muzzle. In my experience, shotgun patterns, at relative close range, are small in diameter.

Winner!

My wife complains about her off hand accuracy at 10 yards with a pistol. Hand her her 20ga youth model or 10" braced AR and her complaints go away. That third point of contact make a real difference for a lot of shooters, especially those who don't practice enough.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/24/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by super T
Second is the notion that when the intruder hears you rack the slide on the old 870 he flees in fear. Maybe not. In that case, giving away your position and that you are armed is complete nonsense that could be fatal.

And, it means you either didn't have one in the chamber to begin with, or, you just ejected a live round onto the floor.

Both, really bad tactical mistakes.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Second is the notion that when the intruder hears you rack the slide on the old 870 he flees in fear. Maybe not. In that case, giving away your position and that you are armed is complete nonsense that could be fatal.

And, it means you either didn't have one in the chamber to begin with, or, you just ejected a live round onto the floor.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

My wife complains about her off hand accuracy at 10 yards with a pistol. Hand her her 20ga youth model or 10" braced AR and her complaints go away. That third point of contact make a real difference for a lot of shooters, especially those who don't practice enough.

Get outta dodge.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Of all the firearms I have, I am 10 times more comfortable with a Remington 870 in my hand than any other firearm I own. I have some other firearms throughout the house, but I have an 870 12 inches away from our bed.

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds from 870's, so that's what I'd trust.

Only tactical disadvantage I can see is in close quarters, the bad guy might be able to control the barrel. So my home defense 870 is 1/4" longer than the federally allowed minimum length, and it is a full open (non-choked) barrel. The slightly shorter sight radius was worth the trade-off of barrel length disadvantage for me personally, since I am a skilled shotgunner (in my own mind).

With the open choke, it opens up quickly. And it's loaded with HEVI-Shot Dead Coyote (https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/dead-coyote/) 00 buck, which is heavier than lead and less malleable. I also know will go through 2 sheets of drywall if it doesn't hit a stud, because I've tried it.

Last edited by duck911; 04/24/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
" Even with the crappiest buckshot loads, within about 45 feet and given a decent shot you're still getting nine simultaneous .33 caliber hits. If you're really good with a handgun you might be able to shoot a 9mm fast but as fast as you can put another .356 pellet in the target a good man with a shotgun can put another 9 pellets on target. 1, 2, 3, vs 9, 18, 27..."

That is an interesting analysis, Jim. A bunch of .33 round balls. I have killed a lot of deer with a .490 round ball in a black powder rifle. Somehow, the round ball is a very lethal load. Of course .490 is a lot bigger than a .33 However, Wild Bill Hickok was slaying 'em with a Colt with a .36 round ball. Pretty similar.

As I said I never saw anybody hit with buckshot but a good torso hit anywhere under 40 yards has got to be fatal and he would die quickly.
If you made a bad shot inside the house, at 20 feet, and hit the guy in the upper arm, it would blow his arm off.

Interesting take. I've shot a lot of deer with 45 and 50 cal and even 62 cal round balls. Performance was never at all impressive. But dead. Change any of those to a conical and the results were much quicker, better blood trails etc....

I'm not convinced that a load of buckshot has much more over a good handgun round. Sure more holes but I just shot a group of pigs with 20 ga buckshot a week ago. 50ish pounders. 5 of the 6 fell at the first 2 shots at about 25 yards. One lay there, others got up and left and the one laying eventually got up and had to be shot again. From my camera results I killed 2 of the 6. That might even be wrong because now there are 5 back in the area and I'm not saying they didn't pick up a stray but.... One round from the 9mm or 10mms of ours and they are done after a short run.

Bottom line, use what works best for you. And that you have total confidence in. Us, we can put more rounds on target quicker with an AR223. Might even be better if we had one in handgun caliber, but 223 doesn't over penetrate unless using heavy rounds like 69 SMK or such.... and its quick and easy to shoot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've seen one deer killed with 00 buck. One shot from about 20 yards dropped it right there. As I remember all pellets hit in ribs and exited the far side. I don't think any human is going to walk away from it. When I took my hunters safety course the instructor showed us pictures of people who were killed in hunting accidents. One that sticks in my head showed a guy who took a load of buckshot to the face from close range. His head looked like a pumpkin that had been smashed on the road. Obviously his skull was completely shattered and the back of his head was gone.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've seen one deer killed with 00 buck. One shot from about 20 yards dropped it right there. As I remember all pellets hit in ribs and exited the far side. I don't think any human is going to walk away from it. When I took my hunters safety course the instructor showed us pictures of people who were killed in hunting accidents. One that sticks in my head showed a guy who took a load of buckshot to the face from close range. His head looked like a pumpkin that had been smashed on the road. Obviously his skull was completely shattered and the back of his head was gone.

...and they sewed him back up and we still have Blackheart to this day!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think the longer sighting radius is a big deal. I have a Winchester Defender shotgun ā€” 12 gauge, 18ā€ barrel, cylinder bore, with a magazine that holds eight 2-3/4ā€ shells. Years ago I saw advice from a source that is now long forgotten that #4 buckshot was quite lethal in home defense but reduced potential over-penetration in home walls. Made sense to me so thatā€™s what I have. In a 2-3/4ā€ shell there are 27 #4 buckshot, each having a diameter of .130ā€.

Shotgun patterns at close range are indeed tight. Folks sometimes wonder how they missed a turkeyā€™s head with a shotgun. If the turkey gets too close, that tight turkey choke is not your friend. Might as well be shooting a rifle.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Per Jeff Cooper as channeled by Clint Smith and others, the object of shooting is hitting.

If those folks are shooting holes in walls vs. holes in people, their training sucks.

Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
you think missed handgun shots are blowing hell out of your sheetrock , wait till you have a bunch of 12 gauge holes in the walls

Wasn't it the late famous shootist, Bill Jordan, who wrote in No Second Place Winner, "You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight."

Just sayin'.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave

...and they sewed him back up and we still have Blackheart to this day!
Grow up you pathetic little attention whore. You're only cute and witty to you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Grow up you pathetic little attention whore. You're only. cute and witty to you.

From here on your Delta Tau Chi name is:

Humpty-Dumpty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Only tactical disadvantage I can see is in close quarters, the bad guy might be able to control the barrel.

This is why the butt stroke was invented. The bad guy's face is the preferred target.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
I shot an armed home invasion intruder with a 12 gauge and Federal #4 buckshot. It is the same shotgun and load that I keep in the house today, along with a .40 S&W loaded with Federal Hydro-Shoks.

Did he live?

Yes, but without a functional right arm and a large portion of his liver and lower intestines.

He right hand and the stolen Glock that he was holding in it were damaged beyond repair.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

OR just ejecting the birdshot to get to buck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ithaca 37, 20 ga. #3 buck at about 20 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot and done. That particular gun and load accounted for over 70 hogs in the '95-'97 time frame and none had to be shot twice.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Yes, but without a functional right arm and a large portion of his liver and lower intestines.

He right hand and the stolen Glock that he was holding in it were damaged beyond repair.

Nice shootin'!

Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,498,013
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.