B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by deflave
I've seen one deer killed with 00 buck. One shot from about 20 yards dropped it right there. As I remember all pellets hit in ribs and exited the far side. I don't think any human is going to walk away from it. When I took my hunters safety course the instructor showed us pictures of people who were killed in hunting accidents. One that sticks in my head showed a guy who took a load of buckshot to the face from close range. His head looked like a pumpkin that had been smashed on the road. Obviously his skull was completely shattered and the back of his head was gone.

...and they sewed him back up and we still have Blackheart to this day!
Grow up you pathetic little attention whore. You're only cute and witty to you.

Come on Blackheart, lighten up a bit, gotta admit that was kinda funny.
I'm going to go watch another episode of "The Little Rascals" and have a talk with my dog now. The Rascals are funnier than you guys and the dog is smarter so it's a win-win for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Yes, but without a functional right arm and a large portion of his liver and lower intestines.

He right hand and the stolen Glock that he was holding in it were damaged beyond repair.

Nice shootin'!

At about 30'. I was aiming at center of mass. When he turned toward me, his right arm was in the center of the group. He should have dropped the Glock, but when he turned toward me I didn't wait to fire. Needless to say, it was an extremely high pucker factor event. I was very tempted to shoot him a second time, but remembered that it looks bad when you shoot a person who is on the ground.

It cost about $10K to defend against the civil suit. I think that the pictures of the pulped hand holding the wrecked Glock in it was a key factor in the jury's decision to not hold me accountable. I bet that it's a bitch to change a colostomy bag when you only have one hand.

EDIT: He was a meth head, so it's possible that his injury and subsequent prison term helped him get clean and sober.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/24/20. Reason: Added comment
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by super T
Second is the notion that when the intruder hears you rack the slide on the old 870 he flees in fear. Maybe not. In that case, giving away your position and that you are armed is complete nonsense that could be fatal.

And, it means you either didn't have one in the chamber to begin with, or, you just ejected a live round onto the floor.

Both, really bad tactical mistakes.

OR just ejecting the birdshot to get to buck.

I shot a buck that ran by me once at about 18 yards. I was shooting lead 4s from duck hunting before the steel shot laws. Most went completely through the chest and out the other side iirc. That was at 54 ft.

I'd hate to see what they did to a person at 10-20 ft.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/24/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You guys have a strange outlook on things.

I don't want to kill anybody.

Perhaps you have a better understanding of the aftermath than most here?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Yes, but without a functional right arm and a large portion of his liver and lower intestines.

He right hand and the stolen Glock that he was holding in it were damaged beyond repair.

Nice shootin'!
It cost about $10K to defend against the civil suit.

If our laws were halfway sane, those who sued you should have been on the hook for every penny you spent in your own defense.

Or your state should have a law like Florida does, which prevents civil suits if you've been criminally cleared, or the DA chose not to prosecute you, due to justified self-defense.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I like the 20 better. Cerekote 870, Wilson combat sights, youth stock with the soft super cell pad. Accurate with slugs (4 of which reside in the Mesa side saddle).
Hope I never need it but I’m sure it will work.
Remember what Clint Smith says: “Inside your house a shotgun is a rifle”.

Nice and adequate.

I Dindo Nuffin
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
WOW. Some of you people need to get a sense of humor. You are actually on the internet in with an imaginary gun and an imaginary burglar. And Deflave I love ya baby but you’re the wrong color. Ed k

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
MAC: "A 3 inch magnum shell loaded with 2 shells of #4 or #2 shot followed by 3 shells loaded with buckshot is more effective. And before anyone decries the use of #4 or #2 shot, get some and shoot them into a sheet of plywood at about 20 feet and look at the damage they do. No man can survive a chest hit at that distance with those shells and you could easily knock the legs out from under someone if you don't want a kill shot."

You are correct, sir. I worked many years as a paramedic in a small Georgia county. Our EMS was hospital based, our barracks were out in the ER parking lot. Many injuries are brought in by car, so, besides the hundreds of GSW I worked in the field, I worked many dozens more in the ER.
I was fascinated to see what kind of damage the different guns did to people. I loved to see the xrays of the GSW, a bullet really shows up on an xray.
Down South most people keep a loaded shotgun, in the closet or behind the door. Loaded with bird shot, maybe number 8 or number 6. Might have to shoot a rabbit in the garden, might have to shoot a bad guy. Or, might get drunk one night and get in to an argument with your daddy, and shoot him.

I saw 14 patients hit at close range torso shots with bird shot, I am talking a range of 10 to 15 feet, and every one of them died. A 1 1/2 inch "rat hole" entrance wound, no exit.
I never saw anyone hit with buck shot but, I would imagine, whatever bird shot would do, buck shot would do even better.

Close range shotgun hit is the most lethal load a person can be hit with.

This, and even with 6s.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I didn't lose much sleep over shooting this guy. This was really a him or me situation that played itself out in less than a minute. My advice is that if you decide that you need to confront a home invader, you need to be locked, loaded, and mentally prepared to use your firearm before he uses his.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Also First Thing: pump shotguns suck when you're under stress. Every 870 fan I know says he would never short-stroke the pump. When I put these guys on a range with even a fraction of stress (I put them 10 yards from a silhouette target, in front of the whole class, and tell them "hit the target five times in five seconds") and short-stroking happens to several people in every class. A good and reliable autoloader is a much better shotgun for real gunfighting. And if you dare to say "autoloaders jam", you'd better be prepared to sell all your AR's.

That's what Fidel Castro said in an interview when he was in the mountains fighting Batista. Castro said he liked the Browning shotgun.

Thanks, Doc. I agree on the semiauto also. My concern with the big buckshot is with regard to other residents in the house in other rooms who may have moved from normal locations after the sounds of a breakin.

I prefer lead shot which will deform and rip and tear tissue. Indoors, I'm not worried about getting penetration, even through a hoodie. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/24/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ithaca 37, 20 ga. #3 buck at about 20 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot and done. That particular gun and load accounted for over 70 hogs in the '95-'97 time frame and none had to be shot twice.

Is that guy's name "Franky Four Fingers?"

No. His Indian name is “Shoots the bird with half the effort”

Last edited by DigitalDan; 04/24/20.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use 2 3/4" 1 1/2 ounce of #4 shot for home defense, I wont get over penetration like you will with 00 buck and I mean going through walls and hitting someone else in another room. I seen first hand what #4 shot will do to someone at 20 feet, it's not very pretty, it would be hard to patch someone up after that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I didn't lose much sleep over shooting this guy. This was really a him or me situation that that played itself out in less than a minute. My advice is that if you decide that you need to confront a home invader, you need to be locked, loaded, and mentally prepared to use your firearm before he uses his.

You did good!Things could’ve went drastically different. I’m glad to hear that things turned out the way that they did for you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

No.

I just love people.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ERK
WOW. Some of you people need to get a sense of humor. You are actually on the internet in with an imaginary gun and an imaginary burglar. And Deflave I love ya baby but you’re the wrong color. Ed k

That's bigotry.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ithaca 37, 20 ga. #3 buck at about 20 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot and done. That particular gun and load accounted for over 70 hogs in the '95-'97 time frame and none had to be shot twice.

Big hog. Did you ever check to see how many No3 B penetrated through the shoulder and how far into the other?

My recollection is that about 1/3 of the shot exited the off side. Rather surprised me at the time but it was a common occurrence.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm going to go watch another episode of "The Little Rascals" and have a talk with my dog now. The Rascals are funnier than you guys and the dog is smarter so it's a win-win for me.

I have a retarded friend that loves that show.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I thought I was racist. Gotta look up the difference on the internet I guess. Ed k

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by super T
deflave, I sure don't want to kill anyone, but there are one or two guys I wouldn't grieve much for if I saw their names in an obituary.

Oh don't get me wrong.

I'm a big fan of most people dying.

I just don't want to be the cause.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My main home defense gun is a 20 ga. SxS with #4 buck in the holes (the biggest shot I've been able to find for a 20). Besides being more than a little bit lethal, there's something about looking down 2 big black holes that will make a crook's knees shake.

My 20 No 3 Buck is bigger and made by Reminton. I think that's what's in Win also, RC.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AB2506, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,220
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.