S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by deflave
I shot an armed home invasion intruder with a 12 gauge and Federal #4 buckshot. It is the same shotgun and load that I keep in the house today, along with a .40 S&W loaded with Federal Hydro-Shoks.

Did he live?

Yes, but without a functional right arm and a large portion of his liver and lower intestines.

He right hand and the stolen Glock that he was holding in it were damaged beyond repair.

As I said above, make a "bad shot" inside the house with buckshot, and you will blow his arm off.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by super T
deflave, I sure don't want to kill anyone, but there are one or two guys I wouldn't grieve much for if I saw their names in an obituary.

Oh don't get me wrong.

I'm a big fan of most people dying.

I just don't want to be the cause.

If they are breaking into an occupied home, you AREN'T the cause.

That is completely on them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by super T
Second is the notion that when the intruder hears you rack the slide on the old 870 he flees in fear. Maybe not. In that case, giving away your position and that you are armed is complete nonsense that could be fatal.

And, it means you either didn't have one in the chamber to begin with, or, you just ejected a live round onto the floor.

Both, really bad tactical mistakes.

OR just ejecting the birdshot to get to buck.

THis ^^^^^

As far as the intruder hearing you rack the slide on an 870 , drop the bolt on a semiautomatic and tell me the intruder won't hear that either.

When the bolt drops on my Benelli 20 or AR, his ears will be ringing and he probably will be bleeding.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
You guys have a strange outlook on things.

I don't want to kill anybody.

Perhaps you have a better understanding of the aftermath than most here?

No.

I just love people.

And know better than to applaud killing folks on a permanent record.

On a side note, we used to refer to moribund patients and targets as "humptyfukt"

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My favorite is an old Rossi .12ga coach gun with 3'' #fours.A Ruger .45lc is in the nightstand for backup and the wifes .38 is in the other.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A friend of mine was hit with a charge of #4 bird shot in a turkey hunting accident years go. He took over a hundred pellets in the chest, shoulder, neck and head from about 30 yards and it damn near killed him. He said it was the most pain he had ever experienced in his life and he truly thought he was going to die. They removed as many pellets as was practical but he still carries several in his sinuses, chest, neck and head. Some of the pellets were too close to vital organs/arteries/nerves to risk removing. He lost his left eye and a couple pellets penetrated the skull and are still lodged in his brain.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by gemby58
I use 2 3/4" 1 1/2 ounce of #4 shot for home defense, I wont get over penetration like you will with 00 buck and I mean going through walls and hitting someone else in another room. I seen first hand what #4 shot will do to someone at 20 feet, it's not very pretty, it would be hard to patch someone up after that.

Good thinking.

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I mentioned the 14 patients I worked hit with birdshot at inside-the-house ranges. All were dead, most were dead when we got to the scene. These were all 20, or 16, or 12 gauge.
I do recall one call I ran, two brothers were rabbit hunting. Boys age 10 and 12. They had .410 shotguns loaded with #6 shot.
They were crossing a barbed wire fence. The second brother was going through the fence and his shotgun discharged. From 10 feet away he hit his brother right in the middle of the back of the neck. There in the neck, you have the spine, you have the spinal column with all the nerves, and you have the jugular veins and the carotid arteries.
When we got to the scene that little boy was dead. We tried the resuscitation of course but he stayed dead.

So even the anemic little .410, loaded with small shot, is a real killer at close range. I wouldn't use a .410 for household defense, but, I wouldn't want to get hit with one, either.

In response to someone's question, believe it or not I never saw someone hit with a .223 Most of the shootings are done with cheap guns, like the .22, the .32 auto, the .25 auto etc. See a lot of .38 special and a few .45 Colt and .357 mag.
Saw a few rifle wounds, saw a guy get his leg blown in two at mid thigh with a 7 mag. He lived but what a mess!

Of all those patients I saw hit with bird shot, one really stands out. Most of these were dead when we got there. A few made it to the ER with a pulse but only one or two made it to surgery, where they died.
I had one guy from the county next door. He was a timber faller, big giant black guy about 27 years old, working all day with that chains saw he was 6-4 and 230, looked like Black Superman. Got into an argument with the girlfriend and she let him have it in the belly with one load of #8 from a 12 gauge. See, it is a lot harder to kill a young man, in shape, than to kill a fat old geezer.
The next county EMS brought him to my hospital, and our docs couldn't handle him we took him to the big hospital in Macon Ga. for more surgery etc.
I attended the 45 minute ride. This guy was conscious and alert. I couldn't believe this guy, 12 hours after the shooting he was looking good! I thought he was going to break the record of the 13 consecutive corpses.

We delivered him to Medical Center of Macon and he looked pretty good. Just to make sure I called The Med 3 days later on my next shift. They told me, he died 6 hours after we dropped him off, kidney failure.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ithaca 37, 20 ga. #3 buck at about 20 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot and done. That particular gun and load accounted for over 70 hogs in the '95-'97 time frame and none had to be shot twice.

Big hog. Did you ever check to see how many No3 B penetrated through the shoulder and how far into the other?

My recollection is that about 1/3 of the shot exited the off side. Rather surprised me at the time but it was a common occurrence.

DD, dont tell anyone this, but a couple of times trying to neak up on a muley buck bedded in thick, heavy mesquite in low holes, in the West Texas sandhills, I have slung the rifle over my shoulder and carried the 20 with buckshot.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
A friend of mine was hit with a charge of #4 bird shot in a turkey hunting accident years go. He took over a hundred pellets in the chest, shoulder, neck and head from about 30 yards and it damn near killed him. He said it was the most pain he had ever experienced in his life and he truly thought he was going to die. They removed as many pellets as was practical but he still carries several in his sinuses, chest, neck and head. Some of the pellets were too close to vital organs/arteries/nerves to risk removing. He lost his left eye and a couple pellets penetrated the skull and are still lodged in his brain.

Holy crap! That would suck.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

One of the early pictures showed what is wrong with 00 or 000 buck. There is so much space left with nothing it in. If you go with # 1 buck, it fills up all of the available extra space.

Another consideration is the actual weight of the projectile. You will get a much heavier grain weight from smaller buck than with the larger version. Therefore a greater felt impact by the recipient.

Peter Hathaway Capstick did an article on this very subject. His argument for small buck is very convincing.

'

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

They get the turkey?!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seriously though, sounds like a bad accident. Glad your buddy made it.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ithaca 37, 20 ga. #3 buck at about 20 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot and done. That particular gun and load accounted for over 70 hogs in the '95-'97 time frame and none had to be shot twice.

Big hog. Did you ever check to see how many No3 B penetrated through the shoulder and how far into the other?

My recollection is that about 1/3 of the shot exited the off side. Rather surprised me at the time but it was a common occurrence.

DD, dont tell anyone this, but a couple of times trying to neak up on a muley buck bedded in thick, heavy mesquite in low holes, in the West Texas sandhills, I have slung the rifle over my shoulder and carried the 20 with buckshot.

I’m shocked! Won’t tell anyone, I promise. laugh

Stuff I’ve killed with scatterguns in my life would challenge a couple of 18 wheelers I’m guessing. The rifles are trying to catch up but they have a long ways to go. I have never had to shoot anything twice with a shotgun, be it birds or furry/fuzzy critters. Birdshot, buckshot or slugs.

Fella with a good gun that fits and with understanding of how it patterns is a force to be reckoned with.

DD

PS: I love the sound of a 12 bore Forster smacking a pig in the morning.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Touch that thing off early on a cool quiet morning on a bushy tail and a smell a bit of heaven.

Man, I miss those red waxed paper hulls.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/24/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I fell down the rabbit hole watching YouTube videos where armed homeowners were shooting up their home interiors trying to hit intruders.

From what I saw, it was evident that a handgun wasn’t getting the job done, unless scaring the living shît out of the burglar was the only intention.

1-5 bad guys ranging in color from black to black (not stereotyping) just what was on the cameras...The variety of invaders all had one thing in common, besides skin color...They all could move like a panther lit on fire with incredible agility and quickness as rounds from homeowners handguns were tearing holes in sheetrock, doors, paneling, and furnishings.

It’s apparent a lot of people have a difficult time hitting a burglar within their home, even at close range...

Why? Besides coming apart mentally that someone is in their home, the spaces are small, and there is a lot of obstacles in the way of a clear shot.

Door jambs, walls, staircase, kitchen counters, furniture, etc, make for a very brief shoot window on a quick and nimble bad guy.

Getting off anything more than a snap shot before the burglar disappears behind a wall, or through a doorway, or down a hall juking and sliding trying to get out of the house was the norm from what I watched.

Made me think the average homeowner might do better with a gauge as their choice for home protection.

Caveat. Some may consider scaring the bad guys away with missed shots is a win. YMMV.

😎

It's a training problem and a shotgun isn't going to help that.

The real problem is, most people don't believe they have a training problem. They've never done low-light, they've never been in a shoothouse. They've never done force-on-force or been put under stress of a clock with an instructor yelling at them. Most are incapable of manipulating their weapons and the controls without looking at them. Under stress they are going to fumble with whatever is in their hands.

Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Hard to hit 'em with a pistol. Also hard to hit 'em with a shotgun.
We are not talking about 40 yards, where your buckshot might spread out over 4 feet.
We are talking about inside-the-house range. Ten feet, maybe fifteen. Before you change your defense arms over to shotguns, take your shotgun out and see what kind of pattern you get at 15 feet. I have tried it with a 20 gauge shotgun and the pattern was 1.5 inches. Hardly different from a pistol.

Yep. In tests we conducted with Federal Flite-Control, we're talking many yards beyond the old A, B and C Zones of buckshot before you get any appreciable spread beyond fist-sized patterns.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Perhaps you have a better understanding of the aftermath than most here?

I didn't lose much sleep over shooting this guy. This was really a him or me situation that that played itself out in less than a minute. My advice is that if you decide that you need to confront a home invader, you need to be locked, loaded, and mentally prepared to use your firearm before he uses his.

Mindset is the most important part of the equation here. Without it none of the others things work.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Threat gone due to missed shots is always better then threat laying bleeding all over the carpet, crying for his lawyer!
Or his surviving family crying for their lawyers

This is where I’m coming from. Not out of concern for the perp either.

My own home defense plan starts with a barking dog and continues with the .38 j frame Airweight I’ve been packing for the past 25 years.

And if they get me...... bwahahahaha! There ain’t sh$t they can get to in my house worth pawning anyhoo..... 🙂

I did loan my Democrat Catholic Hispanic Ex BiL and his family at their request my over under Yildiz .20ga for the duration. #4 steel shot was all they had left in the store. Took him out and had him shoot it.

Administratively simple and better’n a sharp stick.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I fell down the rabbit hole watching YouTube videos where armed homeowners were shooting up their home interiors trying to hit intruders.

From what I saw, it was evident that a handgun wasn’t getting the job done, unless scaring the living shît out of the burglar was the only intention.

1-5 bad guys ranging in color from black to black (not stereotyping) just what was on the cameras...The variety of invaders all had one thing in common, besides skin color...They all could move like a panther lit on fire with incredible agility and quickness as rounds from homeowners handguns were tearing holes in sheetrock, doors, paneling, and furnishings.

It’s apparent a lot of people have a difficult time hitting a burglar within their home, even at close range...

Why? Besides coming apart mentally that someone is in their home, the spaces are small, and there is a lot of obstacles in the way of a clear shot.

Door jambs, walls, staircase, kitchen counters, furniture, etc, make for a very brief shoot window on a quick and nimble bad guy.

Getting off anything more than a snap shot before the burglar disappears behind a wall, or through a doorway, or down a hall juking and sliding trying to get out of the house was the norm from what I watched.

Made me think the average homeowner might do better with a gauge as their choice for home protection.

Caveat. Some may consider scaring the bad guys away with missed shots is a win. YMMV.

😎

The real problem is, most people don't believe they have a training problem.

Best post on the subject so far.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stevelyn

😎

The real problem is, most people don't believe they have a training problem.
Like the cops that took 42 shots to put down a nasty stray pit bull in an alley way here a few years ago ? Or the ones who shot up the ceiling, floor, walls and target frames every time they used our range ? That kind of poor training ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Confronting a home invader, even in familiar territory like your own home, is a losing bet. Unless you have to move to protect children, etc., the best bet is to stay put and cover the one access point to your safe area, then drop anybody who gets funneled into that spot in his tracks after you light him up and confirm your target. His buddies will have to climb over his bloody corpse to get to you, which will slow them down if they press on with the attack. It's also a good idea to have 911 on speaker phone while you're defending your "safe space".
Jerry

This sounds like a good idea, until they set the building alight and smoke you out.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Page 8 of 27 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,675
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.