-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 27 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 26 27
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
use what you shoot best, I'm good with a pistol even though I don't practice much anymore, I won't miss. I have an AR, a pistol and an 870 in arms reach of my bed. I'd probably grab the pistol first.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Anyone who doesn't know that a shotgun is the most effective, and safest, weapon in close quarters is ignorant or stupid.

Yep! This.

So Duck should we call 911 or deploy riot gun?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
use what you shoot best, I'm good with a pistol even though I don't practice much anymore, I won't miss. I have an AR, a pistol and an 870 in arms reach of my bed. I'd probably grab the pistol first.
I've got an 870...the one pictured earlier here, right in back of me from where I type this. In back of me on a table are my 44 Mag. Mountain Gun, my .40 M&P along with five or six loaded mags and a Ruger Mk.II with two loaded mags for varmints. The S&W AR is only feet away in the Hall. Mama's .357 Mag. Detective Special is in our bedroom.

I like a shotgun for self defense too. This one rides in the truck with me, along with my Springfield Loaded model.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by irfubar
Anyone who doesn't know that a shotgun is the most effective, and safest, weapon in close quarters is ignorant or stupid.

Yep! This.

Since we are talking home invasion.....

The police don't prevent crime. Nor does 911.

We protect ourselves. You call 911 to report the dead intruder, and the police investigate the scene.

Our personal protection is OUR responsibility. Not the police, not 911, not anyone.

But you know that.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by deflave
If a bad guy was beating my door down and I had a choice between a shotgun or a handgun the shotgun would win every time....

What about option three?

My post was a hit and run.... what is question three? I would be happy to answer as I have answers to everything...... smile

Fubar, I think this is third option Travis referred to:

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
....a reliable, proven system, maneuverable, highly ergonomic, easy to maintain and upgrade, with a 30 round box magazine, very bright light, and a red dot that doesn't over penetrate in a house...

Ok, thanks Sniper, the answer is ar15 , 11" barrel , brace , suppressor with lights, red dots etc.... with 40 gr vmax handloads......

Just remember, to be Super Deflave compliant the Red Dot has to be Aimpoint, and the Light a Streamlight.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by gunner500
Guys, this racking the slide, slamming a bolt home on a semi, rubber bullets chit has got to go, if you're alone, job one is staying alive, if your wife, kids, grandkids are in the residence, job one is keeping them alive, ANYTHING that has breached your home doesn't even need to be able to hear you release the safety.

I realize keeping an unlocked weapon with full magazine AND chamber is a fool's recipe. Read it on the innanet so the joke's on me. So me and my fool wife keep weapons available in common sense areas of the house, including an upstairs and downstairs Alamo. Every round possible onboard, safety engaged if applicable. With doors number 1 and/or 2 occupied with defensive appliances and 50% chance of a dilated pupil, sweaty palmed, nerves raw & bleeding, estrogen fired, nuclear attitude womenfolk with something between .38 Special and #3 buckshot locked and loaded, positioned to fire with eyes locked on the bad guy's access point, doors 3 and up are a home wrecker's only hope for survival. The scary thing about my wife isn't that she can use most guns. It's that she's willing to pull the trigger, a lot.

And as you say there won't be any audible mechanicals intended to frighten somebody that has already exhibited willingness to assault by breaking into our home. Only rubber is grips or butt stocks. Only vocals a high pitched screeching detectable between shots. He had his only warning when he encountered the first locked door.

LOL, hell of a home SD program there, and with your campfire handle, I had no doubt you'd shoot ; ]

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So to stir this a little more...

What's best on the 870 for home defense....standard stock or pistol grip (with stock/butt)?

Regarding reliably....Letting a fairly new shooter shoot an 870 Friday afternoon resulted in a lock up on the first shot with cheap dove loads. Shot, he couldn't work the pump.....we'd walked through how to work the action several times and I only loaded 2 for him, let him chamber the first..... I had to disassemble...but I didn't drop the butt or pull on it very hard. Just sat it to the side. I've run a lot of standard 2 /34 00 through this and never had a problem. I'm guessing it's the bottom $ low brass dove ammo but I may need to polish it. Not a good feeling as this has always been my first choice "in the house" if I had time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Were the cheap dove loads made in China?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
So to stir this a little more...

What's best on the 870 for home defense....standard stock or pistol grip (with stock/butt)?

Regarding reliably....Letting a fairly new shooter shoot an 870 Friday afternoon resulted in a lock up on the first shot with cheap dove loads. Shot, he couldn't work the pump.....we'd walked through how to work the action several times and I only loaded 2 for him, let him chamber the first..... I had to disassemble...but I didn't drop the butt or pull on it very hard. Just sat it to the side. I've run a lot of standard 2 /34 00 through this and never had a problem. I'm guessing it's the bottom $ low brass dove ammo but I may need to polish it. Not a good feeling as this has always been my first choice "in the house" if I had time.

Not sure there is a “better”. I got a good deal on a Benelli M1 Super 90 once, with the pistol grip stock. It was a good gun, but I found that FOR ME, the 870 worked better. Others’ mileage may vary.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner

He reminds me of all the dudes that taught “karate” to Navy Seals before they opened their dojo in the strip mall near the Walgreens.

MadMooner,

You might appreciate these videos.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...king-youtube-recommendation#Post14785798

Lots of gun writers in the same era got away with the same type of bullschit.

Rex Kwon Doe. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I've met a couple war veterans that would not agree.

But enjoy your absolute.

That didn't take long.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Ignorant AND stupid!

I know that you and the lieutenant probably agree on a lot of things.

Enjoy your absolutes.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If you told The Duck to grab the Shockwave, he'd return with his vibrator.

LOL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy hell that's funny.

If you told The Duck to grab the Shockwave, he'd return with his vibrator.

LOL.

I must say though, I don't agree with this, unless you're not referring to guns or ranges measured in feet.
I carried a Benelli M1 on my first tour, and did so for a reason. A fair amount of our contact was in bayonet range.
Whether a shotgun is better than an AR for self defense I think has a lot to do with what you're comfortable with, as well as your specific circumstances, but from an utter destruction standpoint from a single shot (or even a magazine) and normal loads there's no comparison.
Besides, I've talked to plenty of vets that do not know dick about guns, but think they do because they have experience with a M16. I'd be curious to know more about the specifics of how those vets you talked to came to their conclusions.

I've met a couple war veterans that would not agree.

But enjoy your absolute.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's fine to not agree.

But it doesn't make those that prefer an M4 ignorant or stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's fine to not agree.

But it doesn't make those that prefer an M4 ignorant or stupid.

Very true...and I assume you're referring to ltppowell there, and not myself.
I was focused specifically on qualitative destruction and it looks like you were referring to the "effective, and safest" part of his post. I see what you're getting at, and fully agree.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Very true...and I assume you're referring to ltppowell there, and not myself.

Correct.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice trunk. How old is it, do you know?

I don't but if I had to guess probably late 1800s.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fairly common back in the day to see patrol point men carrying a Win Mod 12. Quite common on the jungle trails.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My thoughts on a shotgun vs handgun-rifle for home defense.
I choose a shotgun. A Mossberg riot gun to be exact.

If you did a random survey of gun owners, 90% would tell you they were good or very good with a handgun. Most of them would be wrong. Same results with a rifle.
You need training. With a handgun or rifle, lots of training.
One can acquire basic shotgun skills much, much quicker.

I have the training and experience with handguns to claim to be very good, but I still choose a shotgun.

A home defense shooting most likely happens by surprise, at night when you are ½ asleep, and pumped up on adrenalin.
I want simple, instinctive and effective. A shotgun fit that bill better than a handgun/rifle.

“You still need to aim a shotgun”. Well yes and no. You really need to ‘aim” a handgun, and even trained professionals miss more than 50% of shots fired at bad guys. Just review police shootings.
With a shotgun, you just need to point and with a 12 inch pattern close counts.
Another point to consider, most exterior walls will stop anything smaller than 00 buckshot.
Most handgun rounds or any rifle will go right through and who know where it goes after that.

Some years back, I took my ten-year-old son shooting. He had never fired a shotgun in his life, but he wanted to try the “Riot gun”

"Your arms are not long enough to shoulder it, you’ll have to shoot from the hip".
"I don’t care, I want to shoot it".
"It’s heavy, and kicks like a mule".

I put a chest sized cardboard box 20 feet away and showed him how to work the action.
In less than five seconds, he hit the box solidly with all three shells, shredding it into confetti.

Like I said, not much training necessary.

The fact is, I am that good with a handgun. 10 years of shooting IPSC Action Pistol will do that.
But when something goes bump in the night, I’m reaching for that Mossberg riot gun.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Anaconda
My thoughts on a shotgun vs handgun-rifle for home defense.
I choose a shotgun. A Mossberg riot gun to be exact.

If you did a random survey of gun owners, 90% would tell you they were good or very good with a handgun. Most of them would be wrong. Same results with a rifle.
You need training. With a handgun or rifle, lots of training.
One can acquire basic shotgun skills much, much quicker.

I have the training and experience with handguns to claim to be very good, but I still choose a shotgun.

A home defense shooting most likely happens by surprise, at night when you are ½ asleep, and pumped up on adrenalin.
I want simple, instinctive and effective. A shotgun fit that bill better than a handgun/rifle.

“You still need to aim a shotgun”. Well yes and no. You really need to ‘aim” a handgun, and even trained professionals miss more than 50% of shots fired at bad guys. Just review police shootings.
With a shotgun, you just need to point and with a 12 inch pattern close counts.
Another point to consider, most exterior walls will stop anything smaller than 00 buckshot.
Most handgun rounds or any rifle will go right through and who know where it goes after that.

Some years back, I took my ten-year-old son shooting. He had never fired a shotgun in his life, but he wanted to try the “Riot gun”

"Your arms are not long enough to shoulder it, you’ll have to shoot from the hip".
"It’s heavy, and kicks like a mule".

I put a chest sized cardboard box 20 feet away and showed him how to work the action.
In less than five seconds, he hit the box solidly with all three shells, shredding it into confetti.

Like I said, not much training necessary.

The fact is, I am that good with a handgun. 10 years of shooting IPSC Action Pistol will do that.
But when something goes bump in the night, I’m reaching for that Mossberg riot gun.

Whole lot of nonsense in this post.

Page 15 of 27 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 308xray, 14 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,206
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.