Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
My [Echo saw] can sit for a year and in 2 pulls will fire up.

Same experience with 2 models from the early 1980’s. I was dumbfounded as teenager that I wasn’t required to employ the usual alchemy + incantations to start a 2 stroke motor. Compared to the ancient Homelight saws that inhabited the farm, those Echos would start right now, run all day, and not throw one’s back out.

The experience led me to buy an Echo string trimmer when I bought my first house. 2 houses later, I’m still using that 1993 trimmer.

I can’t say where Echo saws stack-up against Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, et. al., but I’d certainly never shy away from one for home or farm use.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Things change.

Last time I ran an echo saw (1980s) it appeared to be a qual;ity built saw but it would not wind up nor cut like my Stihl 041 or my husky 61.

These days, I can't find a husky or a stihl that runs like I think it oughtta.

Unless you're a pro and running a whole string of saws and doing your own maintenance I'd worry more about who's gonna service it than what name is on it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
When we were living in a converted milk barn in the mid-1980's I heated the place with a King wood stove and cut every stick of wood that went into it with an Echo saw. I wore it out, rebuilt it, and wore it out again. That saw was one of the best purchases I ever made. It kept us from freezing to death in sub-zero weather several times.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know about Echo saws. But I have an 18 year old Echo weedeater that is unbelievably reliable.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
300 bucks doesn't sound like too much to fix your husqvarna, the parts are available online and easy to replace, handlebar, bar etc...
I just bought a new husqvarna, not the same as the old huskies, says made in Brazil, not Sweden, next time I may consider an Echo as I hear good things about them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 4 years ago, my 1998 Husky 55 (pre-Rancher) sucked a piston. I was heartbroken. Went to shop #1 and he said it'd cost more to fix than what it was worth. So I bought a new Echo 590 Timberwolf from him. No major complaints, other than it's heavier than a comparable Husqvarna. The Echo, also, doesn't run as hard and fast in the cut as the Husky. But it's got plenty of grunt and it was VERY reasonably priced. And like others have said...............the lack of computer control crap makes the Echo a JOY to start.

As an aside.................. I took my Husky 55 to an Amishman's saw shop. Told him if he could make it live again for $100 or less to go for it. A new piston, cylinder and $95 later............ I've been running my newly re-furb'ed saw for about 3 years now and it runs like a bear. Like all good old Huskys do.

As to the OP.......... Echo ?? Yes.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I run the pro saws, Husky's. I have found that even the best pro saw needs lots of maintenance when run daily. The pro saw will come right back to life after all the standard moves, sharpen chain, clean bar groove, file rails, grease nose gear, blow off air filter and entire saw. flip bar, install and adjust chain. spray saw with wd-40 and wipe down. re-fill gas and oil. Even with all this maintenance you could pinch a saw and get it crushed with a round. It's a ruff life for a saw.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 20" Stihl and a 14" Echo. Both do the job they are designed to do, never had a problem with either. But for obvious reasons the smaller saw gets a lot more use.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've got Husky, Echo, Stihl. No complaints on the Echo at all, but it's a pole saw. I did have to take the shaft all apart and lube it up the other day as it had popped apart inside. But it starts and runs good.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bought a 590 a while back and haven't used it much but I like what I've seen so far.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most lawn services down here use Echo equipment, thats all I have and they all crank up every time.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro
"I naturally ended up backing over my 460 Husqvarna. Loved that saw."

Did it break the engine? Just about everything else is pretty easy to replace. I do like Echo chain saws.

I busted just about every piece of plastic on it, busted the flywheel, and bent the bar.

Yeah, I don't mess around when it comes to busting stuff.

So thanks for the input guys. Sounds like an Echo saw is in my near future.

I do have an Echo blower and a weed eater. Both run and perform very well.

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Echo’s have come a very long ways. They are as good as the big guys now and I wouldn’t hesitate if you have a model and dealer you like.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the tiny Echo CS2511T and it is a great little saw. And an old rear handle CS-346 that is pretty sweet. 400, 490 and 590 have a good rep. But I got a nice used 372XP for $350 for my big saw. And a couple of old pro style Poulan 60cc saws for about $60 a piece that needed new fuel lines.

Lots of other Echo equipment: 770 backpack blower bought used for cheap, handheld blower, and weedwacker bought used for cheap. No complaints.

Oh, and an 80's vintage CS-660EVL that I picked up for $80 because it had a brand new $60 Power Match bar. Starts every time and runs great.

Last edited by DollarShort; 04/26/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Once I learned that saws needed premium grade gasoline I have had better luck with both Stihl and Echo. I talked to a Stihl mechanic once that told me of a good many saws he has seen badly damaged by using oil meant for water cooled outboards namely Mercury Quicksilver.
Also when I have a saw that seems to not be oiling the chain sufficiently I have added some synthetic 0W20 to the chain oil and then you have to watch it or it will run out of oil prior to running out of gas.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a cs800 36" bar saw. For being a "lightweight " big saw, damn thing is impressive. It is a tad underpowered and I believe a 32" bar would make it unstoppable.

Fired it up today, 3 pulls and it fired
Of course, it's only been sitting for 6 months or so

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
muleshoe,

if you loved that saw why not just pay to have the repairs done and be happy with it again??

And save $125 in the bargain?

To me, it would be kinda like having a broken in pair of boots resoled instead of buying a new pair for "a few dollars more".

But, I'm old and like broken in things, like me and my vehicles.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My whole family are Stihl guys, absolutely ran the piss out of 024 and 026 saws my whole life. Not loggers but lots of firewood and brush to be cut on the farms and ranch.

When I bought a stove this past winter I went looking for a saw. Was going to buy a Stihl of course but my dad’s MS291 he replaced his 026 with has been a POS and in asking around at work I found about 3 more guys who had more modern Stihls that suck.

So since the Echo dealer is 4 blocks from work and we do a lot of business with him I decided to give an Echo a try. He made me a heck of a deal on a 590 Timberwolf with a 20” bar. I don’t run anything but 93 octane premix in it, get an extra year of warranty that way and I don’t worry about grabbing the wrong can or whether I have any oil on hand to mix up a batch. It is a cutting SOB for the kind of stuff I use a saw for and I have enjoyed using it so far. I cut a 42” diameter red oak into 14” rounds to split up for my stove in a couple hours and the saw wasn’t even breathing hard, I was though. I wouldn’t be afraid of one to replace your Husky.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Was out cutting some trees along the creek the other day. I drop them then pick em up and shove them deeper into the timber with the tractor. As I always have acute awareness of my surroundings I naturally ended up backing over my 460 Husqvarna. Loved that saw. So I drag it down yesterday to the guy I bought it from and he says he no longer sells Husqvarna but shows me his line of Echo saws. I don't see a lot of difference. He quotes me $300+ to repair my old saw, or about $125 more than that for the new pretty equivalent Echo.

So, any experience with Echo's? Good, bad, ugly? My 460 had a 24" bar and the new one will too. This will be my "big" saw. I have a smaller Husqvarna with an 18" bar that I use for the smaller stuff. I am not a professional logger or anything of the sorts, so extra heavy duty saws that cost many more dollars don't interest me. Unless of course they can stand up to a 6125 running over them. smile
I have 2 echo saws both have been flawless for the last 6 years.I believe echo bought out shindaiwa.

Last edited by coobie; 04/26/20.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Muleshoe: I mostly want to say how bad I feel for you at harming your main chain saw.
Damn that hurts.
I also have had a tiny Echo chainsaw for small projects (not woodcutting per se) and it has been working quite well for 20+ years now - probably run it 1 (one) to 2 (two) hours per year.
Best of luck with whichever brand you choose for replacement.
Hold into the wind
varmintGuyt

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.