Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't know what's "best". But if you can't defend yourself with an AR, you're probably out of luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good friend ran a butcher shop for years, they kept a single shot 12ga in the
kill room as backup for the occasional radical old bitch. 1 1/4oz #4's were the load of choice. When the need would arise, th e procedure was to shove the
muzzle against the ribcage, and fire. Bob said it was instantaneous, and never
failed in the dozen or so times they needed it.

Not quite on topic, but closer than some.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Now if I can just get them to install beds and night stands at the 5 yard line on my gun range.

Creativity isn't your strong suit I see. Or are you afraid to lay down on the ground?

Just start from a low ready, finger on the trigger and wait for the buzzer. It's all good.

Just funning with you Gruff.

Actually, I have an Umarex airsoft clone of my primary carry gun which allows in home practice.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Now if I can just get them to install beds and night stands at the 5 yard line on my gun range.

Creativity isn't your strong suit I see. Or are you afraid to lay down on the ground?

Just start from a low ready, finger on the trigger and wait for the buzzer. It's all good.

Just funning with you Gruff.

Actually, I have an Umarex airsoft clone of my primary carry gun which allows in home practice.

smile

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Gruff, I used to train a lot with the pistols I used for EDC doing exactly what you’re talking about.

I would mimic as best I could a situation where my pistol was holstered and covered by layers of clothes and coat. My hands free and pretending to fight to create distance working on cleanly clearing my pistol, then dump 3 rounds into my target. 2 chest, 1 face, but at odd angles, as if recovering from being knocked off balance while fighting.

I called it my drunk’n dance shoot training...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Holy hell that's funny.

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by irfubar

So Duck should we call 911 or deploy riot gun?

If you told The Duck to grab the Shockwave, he'd return with his vibrator.

LOL.

I must say though, I don't agree with this, unless you're not referring to guns or ranges measured in feet.
I carried a Benelli M1 on my first tour, and did so for a reason. A fair amount of our contact was in bayonet range.
Whether a shotgun is better than an AR for self defense I think has a lot to do with what you're comfortable with, as well as your specific circumstances, but from an utter destruction standpoint from a single shot (or even a magazine) and normal loads there's no comparison.
Besides, I've talked to plenty of vets that do not know dick about guns, but think they do because they have experience with a M16. I'd be curious to know more about the specifics of how those vets you talked to came to their conclusions.

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Anyone who doesn't know that a shotgun is the most effective, and safest, weapon in close quarters is ignorant or stupid.

I've met a couple war veterans that would not agree.

But enjoy your absolute.

T,
I’m not shocked that you were in the military and kicking doors with a Benelli. Always had a feeling you had a past that put you in some bad situation. Just a feeling, but apparently, it was a good guess.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fella I knew years ago was out squill hunting on our lease, sneaking around like he was still hunting deer. With a 12 bore loaded with low brass #8. Why? That was all he had, and bein' a preacher's son, and young, he was doin' the best he could with what he had. He was leaning against a tree in something like a shallow gulch and a doe came amblin' by. He said it was about 10' from him when he pulled the trigger. Middle of the neck just forward of the shoulder it went. Down she went. He said the hole of the off side was about 3-4" in diameter.

He didn't get any squill that day.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Fella I knew years ago was out squill hunting on our lease, sneaking around like he was still hunting deer. With a 12 bore loaded with low brass #8. Why? That was all he had, and bein' a preacher's son, and young, he was doin' the best he could with what he had. He was leaning against a tree in something like a shallow gulch and a doe came amblin' by. He said it was about 10' from him when he pulled the trigger. Middle of the neck just forward of the shoulder it went. Down she went. He said the hole of the off side was about 3-4" in diameter.

He didn't get any squill that day.

Yes sir, I know #9 @ 10 feet will cut a 2x4 in half.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The value of following the Tao of Ayoob is the true path to enlightenment and will allow you to drink from the skulls of your enemies.

IIRC the Tao of Ayoob was that he was focusing on the legal consequences of even a justified shooting at a time when everyone else was talking about stopping power and engaging in schlong-measuring contests over point vs the use of sights and what constituted a major or a minor caliber.

I dunno the cost of taking a course with that possibly untruthful toupeed Honorary Reserve Police Officer but IIRC if you took his course and were engaged in a legal self-defense shoot afterwards he would show up in court to defend ya as an expert witness, so the cost of his class maybe could be considered to be a retainer.

Drinking from a skull sounds pretty unsanitary.

So, how do you feel about the use of birdshot in home self-defense?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ayoob preached that the legal consequences of a defensive shooting were near to the same level as letting some buttnugget slaughter you and your family. Only buffoons promoted point shooting and if Ayoob had stuck to teaching the fundamentals of shooting, which he did very well, he would have been more accepted by those that actually dealt w/ bad guys. I took a class taught by him in which firearms retention was a major topic. We showed up w/ our helmets, cups and mouth guards only to learn that he only demonstrated w/ compliant opponents in what was pretty much slow motion. He left early. The days of performing Katas and pretending that was fighting are long past. Which class did you take w/ him? Or any trainer?

Pick the ammo for your bird gun that you have personally tested and proved the best, emphasize head shots at 20 yards. Question the defense attorney whose card you carry in your wallet as to the value of ol' mas as an expert witness.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Squill? Perennial herbs?

I'll take a doe over some plants any day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The value of following the Tao of Ayoob is the true path to enlightenment and will allow you to drink from the skulls of your enemies.

IIRC the Tao of Ayoob was that he was focusing on the legal consequences of even a justified shooting at a time when everyone else was talking about stopping power and engaging in schlong-measuring contests over point vs the use of sights and what constituted a major or a minor caliber.

I dunno the cost of taking a course with that possibly untruthful toupeed Honorary Reserve Police Officer but IIRC if you took his course and were engaged in a legal self-defense shoot afterwards he would show up in court to defend ya as an expert witness, so the cost of his class maybe could be considered to be a retainer.

Drinking from a skull sounds pretty unsanitary.

So, how do you feel about the use of birdshot in home self-defense?

I don’t think he is even a lawyer. Or a cop.

Not sure I’d want him at my trial if he did offer?

Anyway, I for sure can hit things better with a shotgun than a pistol. My duck gun stays loaded with duck loads. Somebody breaks in, I’m headed for it. If I can’t get there, I can offer a face full of 22lr before I throw the LCR at ‘em and runnoft screaming like a banshee.

Praying it works out.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PCC or, in my case a pc with a brace! I've been shooting a gen 2 Sig MPX. Love the thing. Accurate as all get out to any distance you're likely to find in a house. Pleasant to shoot.

Don't get me wrong, I've been shooting every kinda Clay's I could find for two decades. But I can't get myself to buy an 18 inch barrel when even the 3-gunners recommend 26. I have two stories and six other people in the house. I need both accuracy, and fast follow ups. PCC or braced equivalent for me.
Pete

P.S., will probably pick up an M2 for local competition so my mind could change. It will be a 26.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 40O
PCC or, in my case a pc with a brace! I've been shooting a gen 2 Sig MPX. Love the thing. Accurate as all get out to any distance you're likely to find in a house. Pleasant to shoot.

Don't get me wrong, I've been shooting every kinda Clay's I could find for two decades. But I can't get myself to buy an 18 inch barrel when even the 3-gunners recommend 26. I have two stories and six other people in the house. I need both accuracy, and fast follow ups. PCC or braced equivalent for me.
Pete

P.S., will probably pick up an M2 for local competition so my mind could change. It will be a 26.

40O,

How many rounds have you put through your MPX?

Do you shoot USPSA with it?

I've been considering one.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
Squill? Perennial herbs?

Squill as described by the once famous forum beast known as Big Mortie are commonly called squirrel by most folks. As I recall he used a .30-06 to hunt them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2-3 thousand. Religiously cleaned it every 2-3 thousand rounds (cleaned it for the first time when the lock down order came out). Never ever had a any form or misfire or jam.

No.

Do it. Local range won't let me shoot a braced pistol in a PCC match, so I was about to pick up a MPX rifle before the end of the world happened and the prices went to MSRP or more. As soon as it ends, and the prices go down, I'll definitely pick up the rifle and join the local matches.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 40O
2-3 thousand. Religiously cleaned it every 2-3 thousand rounds (cleaned it for the first time when the lock down order came out). Never ever had a any form or misfire or jam.

No.

Do it. Local range won't let me shoot a braced pistol in a PCC match, so I was about to pick up a MPX rifle before the end of the world happened and the prices went to MSRP or more. As soon as it ends, and the prices go down, I'll definitely pick up the rifle and join the local matches.

Awesome.

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll make you a deal, promise to buy one, enter local matches, and share your results with me, and I'll do the same.

Rep.Mitchell.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by gunzo
Squill? Perennial herbs?

Squill as described by the once famous forum beast known as Big Mortie are commonly called squirrel by most folks. As I recall he used a .30-06 to hunt them.

DD, I use a 20 with low base dove load 6s for cat squirrels and blue quail. Quite adequate to 30 yds.

People with 12ga high base 7.5s wont beat me on blue quail. They may put more down with broken wings, but they wont recover most of those. They cant run through the weeds, grass and brush fast enough to catch them or get close enough for an effective ground shot most of the time.

I do switch from IC to IM though for squirrels.

I was sitting with a friend in the woods for squirrels with a bud from S Texas who was new to the game once when a big spike walked to withing about 25 yards. He shot it in the throat patch with high brass 6s from a 12 and it went down right there.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/26/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 40O

Pete

I also have a gen 2 MPX, I put a can on it and I run 147 grain gold dots out of it, incredibly accurate And target acquisition is scary fast.
I go through a [bleep] load a 9 mm with that gun, soft shooting and quiet, I put a Geissele trigger in mine,. Check out this link, Garand thumb Runs the snot out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzuxjwaJ0pM

Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,886
Posts18,497,845
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.