-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With any of the modern battery operated tools, a new battery will usually cost more than 1/2 the price of the tool new. If you need to get 2 new batteries for something, you might as well get a whole new tool as you will spend almost that much and still have an old tool.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Another timely thread since I’ve been shopping for a cordless weedeater. I almost bought a Greenworks 60v combo blower and weedeater but decided to do more research before going off half cocked. I’ve got almost all of the Dewalt cordless tools and figured I’d stay with Dewalt if they were halfway decent. Every brand seems to have their Home Depot models and then they have their better line with higher amp/hr batteries. I’ve been very happy with the new cordless Dewalt stuff and I got the adapter that allows me to use my older 18V Dewalt tools with the newer 20V+ lithium ion batteries so that gives me the chance to use my older tools as backups too. I’m sick of 2 stroke weedeaters and their finicky ways after sitting through the winter. I’ve gotten 5+ years out of my Husqvarna weedeater and it’s still running fine but I know that it’ll give up when I’m most in need of it. I might as well replace everything with cordless. I still have my Milwaukee corded tools and don’t plan on getting rid of them.....ever, but being able to grab a tool and go is a nice change from running cords and mixing gas, especially simple jobs that don’t require the power of corded tools. The modern cordless tools have an amazing amount of power, torque and battery life.

Thanks for the info guys. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All right. It is afternoon, 73 degrees and sunny, I am going to fire up the Kobalt 80v and do some weed eating. It is actually fun to use this machine.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Aren't all those things made in.....................................China?

Be that as it may, I have two 20v Black and Decker trimmers. We have two because I lived in another state from my wife for 8 months a year for awhile. For suburban yards it works well enough for trimming around the lawns and such. One of them still sees some use on my 7Acre RANCH, especially if the wife wants to trims some foxtail before the seed heads dry.

Me, I have a gas trimmer for doing the real work, like "mowing" the 30'-40' firebreak around the place. If that dies, I may have to look into one of those 80V jobbers though. I've been using 40V lawnmowers for years and hope never to go back to gas.

If you limit yourself to American made at this time, you'll be using Grandpa's old hand saw and a scythe. Hopefully the last few months will bring a lot of this manufacturing back to the states but it will take years. You don't retool a factory and train new people overnight.

I'm not looking for American made so much as looking for schitt that NOT made in China. I have a Milwaukee 1/2" drive cordless impact that I just love but I bought it before the whole China flu hit. Sadly it will be my one and only MIlwaukee purchase. Going forward, no made in China for me.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A couple of things to keep in mind about battery-powered trimmers:

1) As long as the battery is charged, they will start.

2) They will not drip all over when in storage.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
A couple of things to keep in mind about battery-powered trimmers:

1) As long as the battery is charged, they will start.

2) They will not drip all over when in storage.

(3) the wife and kids can no longer claim they can't get the weedeater started.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
EGO and it is fricking great. Plenty of power. I also have a blower that is fantastic so that gives me two batteries. Never run out of juice. The best thing about the EGO trimmer is the Powerload head. You can load the string in seconds and it really works.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
EGO and it is fricking great. Plenty of power. I also have a blower that is fantastic so that gives me two batteries. Never run out of juice. The best thing about the EGO trimmer is the Powerload head. You can load the string in seconds and it really works.

I don’t like buying from online only “stores” but will if given no other choice. Did you get your EGO online or at a store? Where’d you get yours, if you don’t mind me asking?

Since I have all Dewalt cordless I’d like to stay with Dewalt but if there was a big difference in quality and performance then I’ll bite the bullet and go with a different brand.

Thanks for all the insight guys. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I don’t like buying from online only “stores” but will if given no other choice. Did you get your EGO online or at a store? Where’d you get yours, if you don’t mind me asking?

Since I have all Dewalt cordless I’d like to stay with Dewalt but if there was a big difference in quality and performance then I’ll bite the bullet and go with a different brand.

Thanks for all the insight guys. 👍

Home Depot but you will have to wear a mask and stand in line to enter. Or do an online, curbside pickup.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
My EGO was just delivered today. Love it. My lot is only 1/2 acre so no problem so no battery problem. My mower is also a EGO. Bought a couple of spare batteries on ebay for $60 apiece that fit both units. The trimmer batteries are a little smaller the the mower battery but they all interchange.

Last edited by IDpanhandle; 05/04/20. Reason: spelling
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We got a Ryobi at home depot.

The wife loves it,she picked it out.

The batteries are the same for the trimming saw i had.

The only thing i found lacking was the original battery did not last.

I since have bought a larger battery and it lasts the whole 10 acres trimming around 2 houses,1 metal building and 21 Pecan trees as well as around other trees.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Not sure about strong trimmers.

Got my eye on the Milwaukee fuel pole saw.....

That may be the ticket for limbing trails.

Yep exactly my thought. If I was going cordless it would be Milwaukee Fuel M18. The impact wrenches are stout. It’s crazy what all they have in the M18 FUEL lineup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
Anyone have the the Makita trimmer?

we have one. already had 18V impact, skillsaw and cordless drill, so I intentionally bought the 18v/36v Makita so I could share batteries. I'm glad we bought it, but I think it ONLY makes sense if you already have the other tools and can share batteries.

the spool head doesnt hold that much string (maybe 2 strands appx 9' long, max?)

runs about 15 minutes of continuous duty on a pair of batteries, (says my wife who does the weed eating....)

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ray63
WHAT YA GOT AND HOW YA LIKE IT ?

I got a DeWalt 20V....... I love it... So far .... Only a year old but it's a joy. I run the 5 amp hr. batteries and I never trimmed enough in one day to run it dead. Got a DeWalt 20V hand held spotlight also that gets occasional use. Got three batteries so I can have one on each and one on the charger. Looking to get some other DeWalt 20V stuff. The batteries are expensive but I don't feel as if it's a ripoff considering how well the 5 amp hr. ones work.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I gave up on them a couple of years ago. Tired of bad battery's and short trim time. Bought a Echo gas trimmer. I would look at higher voltage and Lithium Ion batteries. Also look at how the string is loaded. It can be a real PIA depending.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought an 80v Kobalt straight shaft trimmer from Lowes last summer after I used my old Homelite gas Xpand-it trimmer as a poleaxe (quite rewarding after all the trouble it gave me). The 80v has WAY more power than my old gas one.
Over the winter I passed a random garage sale in another city and stopped in. Thye were welling a NIB Kobalt 80v trimmer, the other version that allows for Xpand-it attachments. Price was cheaper than just a battery so I snatched it up. Now I have one that use just for trimming and the other I use as an edger and chainsaw pole attachment (both from Ryobi). The edger has never worked so well, the extra power is awesome.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My weedeater hat. I used 1/8 inch hardware cloth and pop riveted it to a baseball hat. Ran electrician's tape around the edge.
It is lightweight. Very good at keeping sticks out of your eyes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

+1. I gave my brother my old Stihl trimmer. This thing is freaking great.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My weedeater hat. I used 1/8 inch hardware cloth and pop riveted it to a baseball hat. Ran electrician's tape around the edge.
It is lightweight. Very good at keeping sticks out of your eyes.

Love it! Bet it pulls the ladies, too.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 21 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.