Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Never care for it. Not one of my favorite movies.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's one of my all-time favorites as well.

About the only thing I can say against it is the idea of getting in and out of Nancy in the summer of 44 is highly improbable. It makes the movie all that more exciting from that angle. I had a best friend that was there. He went in on D-Day +14 and spent most of his time fighting for his life until the Fall.

I also had a cousin that got sent in as a G2 operative to ferret out looting. He would be assigned as a general's driver and stuff like that. He ferreted out gold and art heists during and after the war, before moving over to CIA. They were actively looking for stuff like this, and even if these guys made it back to the lines, there would have had to be hell to pay to get the gold out. This heist left to many people in the know, and too much evidence pointing to the perps. However, the perps (Kelly, et al) would not have known any of this. How much of it was going on? A lot, but most of it was Colonels up to Brigadiers trying to ship stuff back to the states. My dad had a C/O, a colonel, that got caught shipping jeeps back to himself in the states. All those perps went to Levenworth.

Could it have been successful? Allies were on to this sort of thing from before the landings. The German situation is more chaotic. There was quite a bit of gold that disappeared that was never found. Most of the successful heists were Reich sponsored and the goal was to smuggle and hide stuff for the purpose of reconstituting the Reich later.

Could a German/American coalition have done it? Highly improbable, but if you leave out hindsight, the right people in the right places at the right time, it might have been attempted.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Awesome movie, I can remember watching it at the drive in theater. The only movie I can think of that had more star power in one movie is the movie "Its a Mad Mad Mad World."

"The Longest Day"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
"Drinking wine, eating cheese" LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

"... catching a few rays..."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought I told you to bring me some good lookin kid, not this fat sausage chewing wino!

Holy schit....what a line

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think a re-make would be a good idea. Who would play Clint, Telly and Donald since there are no good actors anymore. Would probably end up like most re-makes, a disappointment. A good example, the re-make of "The Getaway" with Alec Baldwin. What a disappointment. He is no Steve McQueen, not even close.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I read the book before seeing the movie. It was, of course, better, but yes, I liked the movie.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Dad was in WW2 and he said there were actually crazy tankers in North Africa that would wear hats and clothes from the locals, and hang all kinds of stuff from their tanks, especially when they were on R&R for a while.. He was watching the movie with me and started laughing and said, "Whoever did this movie had to talk to some of us North Africa Campaign vets!"

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Good flick. Ed k

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Great movie!

Might be the only movie that I liked Sutherland in.

Originally Posted by muleshoe
Great movie!

Might be the only movie that I liked Sutherland in.

You didn’t like MASH?!!!

Saw mash as a kid or adolescent and lked it.

Saw MASH not too long ago and it is much too nasty and hateful toward decent folks. Just a vehicle for hollywood countercultural subversives to hate on real Americans.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.