Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Do you think the CCI 450's would be better for this application?

Give the CCI #41 a thought, I believe they are a magnum primer but more important, thay have a harder cup for use in the 5.56.

450’s and 41 are the same primer.. also people are pretty sure black hills is running rem 7 1/2 in their mk262 load as well..

I understand that the #41 has a slightly shorter anvil to make it less sensitive, along with the cup thickness. I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Thanks J. That primer is one you don't hear about here for some reason???? I didn't even know it existed, until the other day my boss was looking for some match primers for one of his friends and he wanted to know about the federal AR match primers. I thought $38.00 was a damn good deal if they were any good. Around here, the damn match primers are like $56.00, if you can find them...

That big primer sale sportsman's had, I paid $27 bucks for the ones I got. But I buy SR primers when I see them, because i remember the hard times of 2012-2014.

You wont find br4"s for that price.

All primers were marked down I bought 1k 210 for $23, 1K WLR for $22 and 1K rem 9 1/2 mag for $23 and those fed 205 for $27. I was missed out on the cci 450’s cci br and Winchester SR primers. CCI BR were going for 27-28 bucks. I’m out doing yard work, I want to head to the range. Maybe Tuesday or weds..

Damn buddy, that was a hell of a sale. I wish I would have known about it!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's a little info I can add on the 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullets and load. I was using AA2520 powder today and wanted to check speeds with my chrono. The last charge weight I stopped after 3 shots. I could tell pressure was peaking. That charge weight was 24.3 grains of AA2520. I'm going to show pics, as "pics are worth a 1000 words"...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I wrote down this info on the backside of a target I had from yesterdays rimfire shoot, so don't mind the bullet holes in it...

These loads were loaded to 2.240" OAL. Top speed was this reading on the chrono:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't mind the very old chrono. It still works great. That's a velocity of 2,872 fps. Smoking along. We don't even want to shoot anymore of those loads my buddy from the club told me about. Generally I work up a load, and that is the reason. His scale is reading differently than mine. I'm also running a 20" barrel on my Noveske, vs. the 18" SPR he has...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I used my hornady manual for 556 loads. My loads are a little faster than what you are running (@ "2630 fps"). Ill go back out next weekend and try a slower load for better accuracy. It was easy shooting moa 5 shot groups today with my least accurate ar. 10 shots opened the groups up though.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used my hornady manual for 556 loads. My loads are a little faster than what you are running (@ "2630 fps"). Ill go back out next weekend and try a slower load for better accuracy. It was easy shooting moa 5 shot groups today with my least accurate ar. 10 shots opened the groups up though.

I get 2630 with RL15 other powders like AR comp, varget I get faster speeds. I’m at the range as we speak will report back what I got.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I get 2630 with RL15 other powders like AR comp, varget I get faster speeds. I’m at the range as we speak will report back what I got.

Awesome buddy. You know ill go back to AR Comp to get the best accuracy, if AA2520 doesnt work out.. 2520 runs them fast though. For someone looking for 1 1/4 moa and a fast load, that might just be the ticket.. hopefully you dont have the wind like i did earlier. Im trying to best rosts iron sight score in the black rifle challenge, but thats not going to happen with these gorge winds. When it calms down, i may have a chance.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just thinking of all the issues we had with 2520 so many years ago makes me kind of queasy that folks still use it. LOL. But I don't get over things very quickly...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Just thinking of all the issues we had with 2520 so many years ago makes me kind of queasy that folks still use it. LOL. But I don't get over things very quickly...

Ill likely burn up what i have and then go back to AR Comp. Im just experimenting with it right now. Check out that black rifle challenge. Im not too far off your irons score buddy.. im thinking if i cant beat your score with my crappy shooting noveske, ill buy another set of those sights and put them on my better shooting 6WOA.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2520 load 24.0gr cci 450 75gr hornady seated at 2.245
Velocity 2585
Varget load 23.7gr cci 450 75gr hornady seated at 2.245
Velocity 2612

The AR comp load of 22.5gr produce a 1.56 group velocity avg 2690
The RL15 with 24.0 Gr produce a 1.68 group velocity avg 2557

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I’m dropped couple shots to open those groups up. I forgot my regular glasses. I also mounted a nib 10x swfa to shoot these groups. I’m probably going to run with that 2520 load for these reduced yardage matches. Varget so hard to find, I need to save what I have.

Last edited by 79S; 05/10/20.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Last yr I played with this load but never bothered with it. BSA asked about fed 205 MAR primers. I found my notes and loaded up ten see how they do. Initial testing last yr 5 shot group shot .806. Anyhow looks like i pulled one high and screwed up the group.
24.5gr RL15, 205MAR primer, 75gr hornady, L-C brass, seated 2.255 OAL avg velocity 2634

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking good j. Cool you had some 2520 laying around. Im surprised its going so slow, as compared to my chrono findings today. Looks like its printing pretty good though. You liking that 10x scope better than the 4x? Looks like your groups are a little tighter and on the orange. Should score well at the reduced yardage competition.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking good j. Cool you had some 2520 laying around. Im surprised its going so slow, as compared to my chrono findings today. Looks like its printing pretty good though. You liking that 10x scope better than the 4x? Looks like your groups are a little tighter and on the orange. Should score well at the reduced yardage competition.

I like it because I can see a lot better at 100yds lol. I use the 4x for my service rifle setup. You should see what 600yds looks like at 4x.. I have 3 of these 10x I have one on my other rifle that’s set up for AR tactical. 600yds through a 10x ain’t so bad.. you do have a 20 inch barrel compared to my 18. I can’t believe velocity loss is so extreme in these AR. Looks like what 150 FPS an inch?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I like it because I can see a lot better at 100yds lol. I use the 4x for my service rifle setup. You should see what 600yds looks like at 4x.. I have 3 of these 10x I have one on my other rifle that’s set up for AR tactical. 600yds through a 10x ain’t so bad.. you do have a 20 inch barrel compared to my 18. I can’t believe velocity loss is so extreme in these AR. Looks like what 150 FPS an inch?

Could very well be a different lot too. The old guy was telling me today that you have to watch out for different lots and its bad because it was manufactured in different facilities. Israel, chech republic, Belgium and the US. So different velocities are to be expected. The bottles he gave me look old. I didnt check to see where it was made.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Could very well be a different lot too. The old guy was telling me today that you have to watch out for different lots and its bad because it was manufactured in different facilities. Israel, chech republic, Belgium and the US. So different velocities are to be expected. The bottles he gave me look old. I didnt check to see where it was made.

I think muledeer talks about that, one of the problems with accurate powder.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also my target why the first two groups are off I was still sighting it in. I didn’t want to screw up a potential 10 shot group record. So i waited until i was done and make adjustments 😁

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, i just checked mine. It was made in Israel

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Also my target why the first two groups are off I was still sighting it in. I didn’t want to screw up a potential 10 shot group record. So i waited until i was done and make adjustments 😁

J. No biggie man. I know you know how to hit the x-ring. You wouldnt be shooting any kind of competition if you didnt. Some guys dont get it. You arent one of them. You shoot long distance of any kind and even 1 or 2" high and left or right at 100 makes a big fuggin difference way out there. Im always shooting for score, thats why most of the targets i post, the bullet holes are in the "orange". As i call it. If you notice, a lot of the 1/2 moa 3 shot key board commandos will post their 3 [bleep] groups way out in left field. Those guys will get lucky and kill a deer or gut shot one and think of themselves as mighty hunters. Others will strategically place 1 shot in the heart and think nothing of it..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Mine made in Belgium

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Mind made in Belgium

That is probably the difference right there... One of the small gunshops across the river had 40 pounds of what looks like the older kegs of it, but if guys like rost and tyrone say there were issues with it, I may just burn up this 2 pounds i have and move back over to AR Comp. That powder seems to be very forgiving. It doesn't put out the fastest speeds, but it burns clean, meters nice and accuracy has been very good in everything from 223 ar's and bolt guns to my 308 AR10.

BSA MAGA
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 817 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.