-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Then...your old warm up becomes your new work out.

Awful, terrible, truth!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I creak, moan, groan, and bitch, but consider myself lucky to be in good enough shape to get up and do most things (poorly, but that has nothing to do with age).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm doing better at 55 than I was at 45. Though I just told the wife that after doing a 14 hr day on the farm, I really do not want to do another one the day after. Diet (and associated weight) has a huge influence on not only stamina and strength, it has made the pains and aches so much less, and the recovery times so much faster. Keep the weight off, keep the body fed properly, keep the stress under control, and keep moving. But the bottom line is, carbs are the devil.

I don't know this to be true, and I do know there are varying schools of thought, but I don't think carbs are the devil. I think they can be to some people. My carb intake is fairly high. My blood numbers, BP, heart rate, fitness and appearance are good.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by byron
It does help to be born with good genes and I believe I was, but you still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I was raised working in a ice plant, so I was at one time anyway, extremely fit. Also ran, in school and afterwords.
Any of my fellow oldtimers remember Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. Yeah! That kind of fit. He too worked in a ice house.

Now at 64 years young and retired, I ride a trainer and cross country ski in the winter, Ride bikes (Mountain bike and road bike) in
the summer, and stretch a lot (Don't be afraid to let your wife teach you a little yoga) Work to keep our little horse farm in shape, and
still start and train horses.

Byron

While good genes may set the "mould/mold". there are many drugs today that change genetic expression, especially on the RNA side. Hormones, any of the anti-immune type drugs, for arthritis, anti-cancer etc. fit into this category.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Day to day..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
I'm doing better at 55 than I was at 45. Though I just told the wife that after doing a 14 hr day on the farm, I really do not want to do another one the day after. Diet (and associated weight) has a huge influence on not only stamina and strength, it has made the pains and aches so much less, and the recovery times so much faster. Keep the weight off, keep the body fed properly, keep the stress under control, and keep moving. But the bottom line is, carbs are the devil.

Insulin resistance is problem,, Snacking is the devil. everything you eat stimulates insulin production.

I know better than to argue with you, but I will say that blood sugar swings (carb fueled) are a big driver in the desire to snack. Chicken, egg?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Growth Hormone shots $1000 a month
Hormone replacement creams, pills, etc. from $200 to $600 a month.

Where are you getting these figures?

HGH has a pretty narrow application when it comes to fitness. It does virtually nothing for endurance athletes, and very little for strength sports that isn’t done better by something else. For power lifters and bodybuilders who want muscle mass at any cost, it has some uses. Or the extreme positions in football like linemen.

Regardless 100 iu of human grade HGH can be had for $250. A pretty high mass building dose is ~3 iu per day, so $250 a month.

Injectable T is even lower. A 10ml vial of Sustanon 500 is around $120. 500mg / week is a big dose, which works out to about $50 / month.

I’ve no idea what Botox costs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as the hydraulics work...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as the hydraulics work...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Growth Hormone shots $1000 a month
Hormone replacement creams, pills, etc. from $200 to $600 a month.

Where are you getting these figures?

HGH has a pretty narrow application when it comes to fitness. It does virtually nothing for endurance athletes, and very little for strength sports that isn’t done better by something else. For power lifters and bodybuilders who want muscle mass at any cost, it has some uses. Or the extreme positions in football like linemen.

Regardless 100 iu of human grade HGH can be had for $250. A pretty high mass building dose is ~3 iu per day, so $250 a month.

Injectable T is even lower. A 10ml vial of Sustanon 500 is around $120. 500mg / week is a big dose, which works out to about $50 / month.

I’ve no idea what Botox costs.

from a medical point of view the drug testing knowledge the body builders have given to the world, by experimenting on their own bodies, without the need to go thru the regular FDA protocols, is worth its weight (pun intended) in gold.

I'm talking about the benefits from these drugs that can be used by anyone who can afford it thru their local MD'

a testosterone/progesterone/estrogen cream for a female for a month can run around $120 , and you only thought this stuff was for males.

Not talking about the shet body builders use, talking top grade prescription pharmaceuticals.

your talking growth hormone releasing factor, Sermoralin, not Novartis injectable.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My parts do not work as well as they used to. There is also considerable pain in several areas. I have learned my linitations. Food intake reduced as well as alcohol intake.

There are things I should just not do!!! And for the things that must be done, I just take my time.

Not really all that old, just wore out.

It ain’t the years, it’s the miles!

You got that right. But now I got both years and miles.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Insulin resistance is problem,, Snacking is the devil. everything you eat stimulates insulin production.

I know better than to argue with you, but I will say that blood sugar swings (carb fueled) are a big driver in the desire to snack. Chicken, egg?

the answer to the chicken/egg question is called parthenogenesis

the answer the to the hunger is a hormone Ghrelin

Last edited by Etoh; 05/13/20.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent 25 years in the military and was 50 years old when I retired. On my last PFT 2 months before retiring I did 88 pushups in 2 minutes, 110 situps in 2 minutes and did a 1.5 mile run in 9:18 and that was with 2 scews and a pin in my right ankle. That was better than a lot of the younger guys. When I retired from active duty I began teaching high school. Until this COVID mess hit I was in the gym every afternoon and doing a 5 mile walk every day. I still do the walk until I can get back in the gym. I am 57 right now and weigh within 12 lbs of what I weighed when I graduated from high school in 1980. Growing old is something you have no control over but growing fat and out of shape you can control. The question is whether you want to or not.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
your talking growth hormone releasing factor, Sermoralin, not Novartis injectable.

No, I don’t mean Sermorelin, I mean the actual HGH Somatropin. It isn’t produced by Novartis but I don’t see how that is relevant.

People enjoy paying doctors for things they can do themselves I’m sure, but they choose to do that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes sir! It may be hard not to sometimes, but quitting is a sure fire way to an early grave!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I’m 76, and not as good as I once was.............hell, I’m not even as good once as I once was!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I don't know this to be true, and I do know there are varying schools of thought, but I don't think carbs are the devil. I think they can be to some people. My carb intake is fairly high. My blood numbers, BP, heart rate, fitness and appearance are good.

I believe it depends where the carbs come from. We here at home have cut back on breads, and pasta's and such, and sugar. Carbs from vegetables are good IMHO, and again IMHO you need some carbs and calories for energy. I live by the rule of only consuming the calories I need. I used to do so to the point of starving myself, but that is not good, so any more I really just try to pace myself a little better. Many days I tend to graze all day rather than eat a big meal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is old anyway?
I work at it, get cardio everyday, get on aleast one colt everyday and run it thru the paces. I can still shoe a couple a day at 62. Pretty creaky in the morning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by byron
It does help to be born with good genes and I believe I was, but you still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I was raised working in a ice plant, so I was at one time anyway, extremely fit. Also ran, in school and afterwords.
Any of my fellow oldtimers remember Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. Yeah! That kind of fit. He too worked in a ice house.

Now at 64 years young and retired, I ride a trainer and cross country ski in the winter, Ride bikes (Mountain bike and road bike) in
the summer, and stretch a lot (Don't be afraid to let your wife teach you a little yoga) Work to keep our little horse farm in shape, and
still start and train horses.

Byron

While good genes may set the "mould/mold". there are many drugs today that change genetic expression, especially on the RNA side. Hormones, any of the anti-immune type drugs, for arthritis, anti-cancer etc. fit into this category.

All very true from what I've read, but my goal is to not lay around on my butt or eat myself into poor health so that I have to rely on drugs to live the life I desire. I hope I succeed smile

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was a fanatic into my late twenties, then I discovered motorcycles 🙄

Picked it up again age 56, when I started preparing to bicycle to New York. Hard to call that training, bicycles are a pretty gentle form of exercise, basically all I did was ride for longer and longer amounts of time with the Bike weighed down with about 50 pounds of gear.

Since then I’ve tried to use bicycles as a substitute for a vehicle where possible, keeps me in shape and it’s not near as boring as other forms of exercise. Bicycling is a godsend but it’s a pretty limited form of exercise, which is why it’s pretty easy to get good at it.

It really helped when they opened up a gym a few miles away that I could incorporate on a route to work in the morning.

One thing I had been neglecting though was hiking, and by that I mean traversing steep and broken terrain. Since this lock down I’ve been incorporating a couple hours of that a few days a week. A pretty good workout for back, knees, shins and ankles. And also neglected foot-eye coordination, when I started I was actually using a staff to help on the downhill parts, no longer needed.

Plus there’s a part I have to negotiate, up and down, clambering on hands and knees, also a forgotten skill.

I’d guess 90% of it is keeping active. I have no desire for supplements unless maybe glucosamine, don’t really care what my T is. I do have a sense that, when ya get into your 60’s, once it’s gone it ain’t coming back. Trying to slow that rate of loss here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.