Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by JOG
I’m currently tossing around the idea of picking up a 1911. I’ve never owned one before...

If you only have one 1911 it has to be a Colt. It's a rule.

Well that’s unfortunate because I ordered the DW guardian 2 hours ago in 38 Super

I strongly suspect you’ll be happy with it. It’s a good combination of cartridge and platform.

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I’m currently tossing around the idea of picking up a 1911. I’ve never owned one before...

Well that’s unfortunate because I ordered the DW guardian 2 hours ago in 38 Super

Five Hail Marys, four apologies to John Browning, and you're golden.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Originally Posted by JOG

I strongly suspect you’ll be happy with it. It’s a good combination of cartridge and platform.

I suspect you are going to be very happy with that selection.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think you can beat it for the money...

Friend and I were at the SHOT Show and he ordered a custom 9mm Combat Commander from Les Baer. Took bout 7 months to come in... He handled my Dan Wesson and I think he was kinda stunned at the quality for a grand less and a LOT lighter which I warned him about before he ordered....

Since this is your first Super...some reading for you...

https://web.archive.org/web/20170624164255/http://38super.net/ (may have to copy and paste that one)

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%2038%20Super%20Ammo%20Tests.htm

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/38SuperTo9mm.htm

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/super-powders-for-the-38-super/99160

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/super-powders-for-the-38-super/99160

I think you with enjoy the combination....

For a OWB holster try a DeSantis Speed Scabbard or Mini Scabbard....not very expensive and easily available... They make nice magazine pouches in single and double also...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for all the help guys. Shop said it should be in by Thursday of next week...pretty excited about it.

RJM, Any suggestions on an IWB Holster that’s leather ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OWB- galco concealable
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

IWB- VM II

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Like huntsman said...VM-II is hard to beat... I always used a G. William Davis Concealer which is the same as a Sparks Summer Special II...

Now I use a REMORA...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks for all the help guys. Shop said it should be in by Thursday of next week...pretty excited about it.

RJM, Any suggestions on an IWB Holster that’s leather ?

Back when I was EDCing an all steel 1911, I was quite happy with my Milt Sparks VM-II. Great, well made, well designed, holsters. However, about five or six years ago, I switched to the El Paso Saddlery C-Force. I was, at the time, switching from an S&W Model 13 (FBI configuration), which I had at that point been carrying EDC for years (also in a Milt Sparks VM-II) to a Glock 17. I happened to have a C-Force holster designed for the Sig P220 in the holster drawer, but since I never carried the P220, it had never before been tried (other than to try it on). I checked, and sure enough, it fit the Glock 17 like it was made for it, so I didn't feel the need to order another Milt Sparks VM-II for my new carry gun choice. I found that I not only liked it as well as the VM-II, but actually liked it better. In fact, that very holster is now serving my EDC needs with my Glock 26, which I've been carrying for 18 months or more. Of course the same holster will also work for a Glock 19 (which splits the difference between the 17 and the 26.

Anyway, I am now more of a fan of the C-Force than I am of the VM-II. It holds the gun where I want it, and it just feels more natural. It also holds it at the exact angle I want it, and they are long lasting, rugged, holsters. Every bit the equal in that department of the Milt Sparks offerings, IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Like huntsman said...VM-II is hard to beat... I always used a G. William Davis Concealer which is the same as a Sparks Summer Special II...

Now I use a REMORA...

The VM II is a great holster, but Gary Brommeland's (Brommeland Leather) version of that design is much thinner, very stiff & has a tab extension on the Commander size version to take some load off the sciatica nerve area of your hip; it's pictured below with my DW Guardian. IMO, it's a better mousetrap.

I've also used the Summer Special version & it's OK except the loops & snaps are directly on top of the gun, thus adding thickness.

Like RJM, over the last year or 2, I've also transitioned to a non-leather Remora holster for most of my daily use...............it's an amazingly effective holster, very comfortable & secure & the same holster will fit more than one gun; for instance, I use the same holster for a Commander sized 1911 as I do for a Glock 19.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
MM - you’ve caused me to rethink my plans. RJM introduced me to Remoras in the first place. For my use with at least 2 of my pistols they’re excellent. I don’t need to buy more leather. And I sure understand your point about not having it press on that damned nerve.

Last edited by OldRooster; 05/10/20.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Get a full size steel gun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Read a little and see you bought one. DW 1911s rock

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I’m still waiting on my Guardian 38 super to arrive. I didn’t mention that when I was ordering the Super, the local shop also had this CCO on the shelf. I actually liked the CCO better because of the chain link style grip material on the front and rear of the grip. But because it was a 45auto I decided against it.

The more I thought about it the more I wanted it too.

Erica must have really taken note of this because when I got home from work last night it was waiting on me.

Will post pics of the guardian when it arrives as well

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds like you picked a good woman.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m still waiting on my Guardian 38 super to arrive. I didn’t mention that when I was ordering the Super, the local shop also had this CCO on the shelf. I actually liked the CCO better because of the chain link style grip material on the front and rear of the grip. But because it was a 45auto I decided against it.

The more I thought about it the more I wanted it too.

Erica must have really taken note of this because when I got home from work last night it was waiting on me.

Will post pics of the guardian when it arrives as well

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Congrats on both the gun & the woman.........................now go buy some Tripp Research Cobra Magazines. Thank me later.

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice!!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That is nice. Beautiful pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m currently tossing around the idea of picking up a 1911. I’ve never owned one before, and have only shot them a handful of times. My experience is limited to that of a Kimber that a buddy owns.

The use for the gun would be a range toy mostly but I would like to carry it concealed some as well. I’m thinking one of the “lightweight commanders” would be the way to go for what I want but am open to suggestions. As a guy who is new to 1911s and looking to carry one; what are some of the things I need to be looking for, what’s some things I should stay away from, models suggested Etc....

I haven’t figured out a budget yet, I do know that it won’t be an Ed Brown, Wilson, Les Baer ETC.

Pics of what you carry wouldn’t suck either.

Since you bring up Kimber I would look for Smith & Wesson since they made original frames for Kimber 1911s. The Sc line have trace amounts of that rare and expensive metal in their light alloy frames which is being claimed makes them stronger.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I really like my Colt O1911C Government Model Classic that I picked up a few weeks ago. Colt did a pretty solid job on those.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
Sounds like you picked a good woman.

My immediate thought! Holy Crap!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.