Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For our new-to-us 25' camper trailer, we are considering getting a little generator for boondocking use when Mom wants to run the microwave, etc. We do not anticipate continuous use like running the air conditioner overnight, if at all. We have been looking at this one and would like to hear your experiences. I dont want any cheap Walmart junk, if I buy one it will be a quality item. Thanks.

Honda EU2200IC 2200-Watt Companion Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator

Last edited by jnyork; 05/17/20.

[Linked Image]
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Honda would be my pick

Last edited by TBREW401; 05/17/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The only small generator we have is an old small with a Briggs, and Staten, I'd agree, Honda.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got the Honda 2000, it's the older version of the 2200.

Completely reliable and quiet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get a CO detector.

IC B2

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get a CO detector.

Thanks, trailer came with one. It's a modern unit. grin

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Honda generators are excellent. Harbor Freight has a good generator and the extended warranty is second to none. We carry one as a backup on the boat and it starts whenever it's been needed.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jnyork
For our new-to-us 25' camper trailer, we are considering getting a little generator for boondocking use when Mom wants to run the microwave, etc. We do not anticipate continuous use like running the air conditioner overnight, if at all. We have been looking at this one and would like to hear your experiences. I dont want any cheap Walmart junk, if I buy one it will be a quality item. Thanks.

I have a Honda EU2000i and it's been a great generator. However, in one of our trailers, the microwave's load was too much for the EU2000i to handle even without any other electrical load. I suggest you look at the starting load for the microwave and make sure your generator has enough capacity with a little extra for a safety margin.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a bearcat , echos answer to the Honda, base the purchase on price.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep, +1 both.

Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Honda generators are excellent. Harbor Freight has a good generator and the extended warranty is second to none.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The Honda 2200 is pretty much the standard for small inverter generators, it's an excellent one. They're pricey though and if you're looking to save a little money the Champion 2000 watt ones are very good at about half the price. I have a champion 2000W I bought several years ago when they were on sale for $399 and it's been fantastic, matter of fact I just used it about an hour ago and it started on the third pull after sitting several months.

If the money's no factor then the Honda is as good as they get. Just make sure it's enough output for the microwave, they draw a bunch of juice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are few things in life where when asked for an opinion I generally answer with one name first and work out from there.

Lapua brass
Yamaha power sports
Honda generators

Not that others aren't hood - just that I have implicit trust there.

Honda and not lose a second's sleep over the choice.

Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Yamaha 3000 iSEB boost is a fine generator. The boost feature separates it from the pack.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by jnyork

I have a Honda EU2000i and it's been a great generator. However, in one of our trailers, the microwave's load was too much for the EU2000i to handle even without any other electrical load. I suggest you look at the starting load for the microwave and make sure your generator has enough capacity with a little extra for a safety margin.

And if you want to run the AC at all, check the starting load for that too.

I also have an EU2000i. Great little (expensive) generator. It will run a very small microwave (maybe 700 watt at most) or a very small AC ( I've run a 5000Btu AC ) but no way both at the same time. And better not have much other load on other than a few lights. You may have to go up to a larger generator, or get two of the 2200s and a pairing kit to combine their output.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
the honda is supposed to have a fuel pump making it ideal for the extended run kit where you add a 3 gal boat tank to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally impressed with the Honda's. We have a 3000 version as there is some chance we'll run the air conditioner (a bit heavy for tossing in and out of truck) and put it on wheels. All is under a cab high canopy, and I just roll it back onto the tailgate and fire it up. Have about the same use patterns as the OP described, so a tankful of fuel should run for a week or more.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/17/20.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the EU2000i. It has been great and runs my microwave (even at altitude if I remember correctly). If you are only getting one, don’t get the companion version. The way they work is you can hook two eu2000i units together in parallel to get 4,000 watts out of them. You can’t normally do this with a generator, but the small Honda inverter generator (and a few others) are capable of it. You have to have a special set of cables and a linking box to link them.

For the Honda, if you link one regular EU2000i to the companion version (costs a bit more) you can delete the box. Bottom line...if you buy one get the regular version. If you want to link them and run the AC later on, make your second unit a companion model and you are good to go. Other than the hassle of keeping 2 generators, this makes more sense to me than buying the 3000. They are lighter, you have more power, two 2000’s cost the same as a 3000, and you have the option of splitting the set when you need only one.

When you get the generator get the appropriate 15 amp to 30 (or 50) amp adaptor. Also, you can get a set of charging cables to directly charge a battery from the generator. It may save you if you have a dead truck battery sometime.

Last edited by K1500; 05/17/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another Honda EU2000i vote. This is the older model as people pointed out but runs our deer camp and power tools reliably. I use an extended run 6 gallon fuel tank and run it continuously for a week. Requires minimum maintenance like oil and filter change. Have linked it to friend's EU2000 with no issues.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
first see what btu your ac unit is. there are 2 different size units that come on campers.microwave pull a lot of juice . I had a champion 3100/3400 unit and it would not run my ac unit. it would throw the overload breaker everytime. champion says it should run the whole camper but even after replacing the carb and computer it would not run it. I do not understand why because I have a off brand 2250 watt that will run it fine. the big drawback to lots of small generators is run time. most will not run ac all night on a tank of fuel. my cheaper generator hold 3.3 gal and runs 40hrs on a tank.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seeing as how you guys are discussing generators, any suggestions on a portable model with 220-240v capabilities for use on our well if the power goes out for any length of time. Right now, it's our only semi-major issue for outages over a few hours.

Portable model on wheels would work fine. Small enough to hand carry, with enough juice for a well pump, I can deal with that too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 13 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.