Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd like to see Jim head through downtown Boise on one of those yellow rigs!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jim: Be advised if you buy a dirt bike not licensed for the street you cannot ride on Forest Service roads. You are limited to designated off highway motorcycle trails. If you want the most capable off road motorcycle take a look at Rokon. I just sold 2 of them and bought a 4 wheeler due to impending geezerhood.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been reading up on Idaho regulations but the only thing I can find is this from https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/activities/atv-motorbike:

Any person without a valid driver's license who wishes to operate an OHV on US Forest Service roads must take an IDPR-approved OHV safety course and carry their completion certificate while operating their OHV.

It just says you need a valid driver's license or take a safety course but I'm not finding anything about the vehicle being licensed for street use. Do you have a source or website with that? I'm not trying to argue but am trying to make sure I get things right. This place has been considerably Californicated in the last 25 years and even back then every Fish cop, Park Ranger or part time tour guide out there was just itching to bust you for some minor infraction.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bobmn
Jim: Be advised if you buy a dirt bike not licensed for the street you cannot ride on Forest Service roads. You are limited to designated off highway motorcycle trails. If you want the most capable off road motorcycle take a look at Rokon. I just sold 2 of them and bought a 4 wheeler due to impending geezerhood.

This is absolutely not true in Idaho. See our restricted use license plates as I mentioned earlier.
7Laws, Rules & RequirementsREQUIREMENTS FOR OHV OPERATIONTRAILSThese are the requirements for motorbikes, ATVs, UTVs and Specialty Off-highway vehicles operating off-highway on a designated trail, open riding area or motocross track.• A valid IDPR OHV certificate of number sticker. IC 67-7122• A helmet under age 18. IC 49-666 • A muffler and Forest Service approved spark arrestor. Your muffler must be at or below 96dB at the half-meter test, SAE J1287. IC 67-7125STATE & FEDERAL ROADSThis includes Idaho Department of Lands, Bureau of Land Management, U. S. Forest Service, Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation, Idaho Department of Fish and Game, and privately owned roads open to OHV use. Contact the land owner or manager for information on roads open to OHV use. • OHV Education Certificate for unlicensed operators. IC 49-302(11)a U.S. Forest Service Roads only.• Valid driver’s license (except under the age of 16 when supervised by a licensed adult operator). IC 49-301 or IC 49-302 “supervised” means the supervising licensed adult must be in a position, on another OHV to provide close support, assistance or direction, or if on the ground, within three hundred (300) feet of the unlicensed operator.• Liability insurance or alternative insurance. IC 49-1223 or IC 49-1232• Valid IDPR OHV certificate of number sticker IC 67-7122• A helmet under age 18. IC 49-666• Muffler and U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrestor. Your muffler must be at or below 96dB at the half-meter test, SAE J1287. IC 67-712

Additionally, with the restricted use license plate it is perfectly legal to ride an off road vehicle on most city and county paved roads, as well as some portions of state hiways.

8Laws, Rules & RequirementsCITY & COUNTY ROADSThe following requirements must be met on city, county, and highway district roads. Certain roads may be closed by local jurisdiction. Check with local jurisdiction for information on roads open to OHV use.• Valid restricted vehicle license plate. IC 49-402(4)• Valid IDPR OHV certificate of number sticker affixed to restricted vehicle license plate. IC 67-7122• Valid driver’s license. IC 49-301• Liability insurance or alternative insurance. IC 49-1223 or IC 49-1232• A helmet under age 18. IC 49-666• Muffler and U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrestor. Your muffler must be at or below 96dB at the half-meter test. SAE J1287. IC 67-7125 For safe operation on roads the following equipment is recommended:• Brake light.• Headlight and taillight after dark/poor visibility.• Horn audible at 200 feet.• Mirror showing roadway 200 feet behind the OHV

Taken from page 7 & 8 of Idaho state pamphlet, last updated 2017
@ https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/OHV_in_Idaho_Booklet_2017_Small.pdf

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But can you marry a first cousin?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brother's or sister's side of the family? wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Like I said before, I appreciate everybody's comments and opinions since they make me challenge my own.

Did a lot of serious cogitatin' this weekend and honest appraisal of where I am in life and am really thinking an ATV would be the better way to go. When it comes to street motorcycles folks say "it's not if you go down but when". With dirt bikes, even smaller ones, it's not "if or when, but how many times you go down". At 67 I stay in decent enough shape but definitely don't bend or heal like I used to, that's a fact of life. I know how to ride a street bike pretty well but dirt bikes take some new skills and I'm not sure my bones could stand too much learning these days. wink

You can get hurt on a utility ATV but you have to work a lot harder at it. The plan is still to have something just to putt putt along the dirt roads and old logging trails and not go anywhere I can't just hit reverse and back out of. The manufacturers don't make hardly any small, basic machines anymore except the Honda Recon which is a 229 cc, air cooled single with 2WD only. It's light and small with a good low center of gravity. Doesn't have near the features of bigger and more sophisticated machines but basic and simple is good. It has a carburetor which I can work on and a pull start backup if the electric start craps out. The only other machine I've found in this class is the Kawasaki Brute Force 300 (an ominous name) but that's liquid cooled which is just extra stuff I don't need.

I know folks recommend something more powerful but I remember my old Yamaha 250 and how perfect it was for what I did back then. If I was 25 years younger I might worry about out growing something small but if I can just keep getting out into the mountains for the next 15 years or more that would be fine by me.

Gonna go look at a few different models and ride a couple this week to get a feel for the seating and all but seems like it's a choice between the Honda and the Kawasaki and at this point that Honda is in the lead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Closed the deal on this 5 minutes ago...It's for the back of my RV....

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/orlando-2017-suzuki-dr200s-dual-sport/7121571261.html

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JeffA

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/orlando-2017-suzuki-dr200s-dual-sport/7121571261.html

Nice score Jeff.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Like I said before, I appreciate everybody's comments and opinions since they make me challenge my own.

Did a lot of serious cogitatin' this weekend and honest appraisal of where I am in life and am really thinking an ATV would be the better way to go.

You disgust me.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Nice score Jeff.

Thanks, it's sorta new....
I'm thinkin' Forest Service roads in Montana this summer and fall......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Did a lot of serious cogitatin' this weekend and honest appraisal of where I am in life and am really thinking an ATV would be the better way to go.

You disgust me.

How ya get around a gated road with a beast like that?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Nice score Jeff.

Thanks, it's sorta new....
I'm thinkin' Forest Service roads in Montana this summer and fall......

Anything on two wheels that burns fuel is worth owning and using.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Or squeeze between a couple rows of corn and wait for the lights to pass.

Rookies I tell ya. Rookies.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sweet lookin ride, congrats. I think I would have a 21 inch front rim laced up to it and beefier rear tire.
Looks like your are in for a lot of fun.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Here in Bonners Ferry, if the gated road goes anywhere worth going, there is a way around the gate!!!!!!!!

The state of Idaho lands have about given up on keeping ATV's out.

Forest Service still fights it, they have a couple guys that patrol on trail bikes, but they aren't good enough riders to catch you.......:-)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good gawd she's raw but ready to view. Took 25 hours to upload. Oh chit, to the immediate east are the Big Belts not Little Bekrs!

Why I have a DR650. Blah blah blah.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 05/18/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Saweet!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you stole that bike, congratulation on a very good deal. Happy riding.Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Sweet lookin ride, congrats. I think I would have a 21 inch front rim laced up to it and beefier rear tire.
Looks like your are in for a lot of fun.

Yeah i'm sure that would improve the steering and overall handling of the bike . Those stupid japs in white coats have no idea how to build a well engineered motorcycle . Cut the muffler off too - it'll get much better fuel economy and double the horsepower and torque plus sound SO badass - seen it a hunnerd times .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.