Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by szihn
I have been hunting since about 1964. I have used MANY high powdered scopes and also about 6 or 7 Fixed power scopes. So to answer the question "Is there any hunting situation where the 4X reigns supreme?"
Between Dr Death and jwp475 above, DrDeath is more correct.
I don't say "All" because for paper competitions and for prairie dog shooting I find high magnification helpful or even vital on P.Dogs past about 300 yards.

But in my experience for ALL big game hunting in all countries and all states at all ethical ranges the fixed 4X is better and for about 1/3 of those a fixed 3X or maybe even a 2X would be better. And I have hundreds of kills with both higher powered scopes and also fixed power scopes of 4X and less. So I am not guessing here. Funny thing is that about 1/2 of the scoped rifles in my safe have 2X -7X or 3X-9X scopes on them but I don't think any of them have been taken off their lower settings in at least 8 years. I do have 2 rifles with 1X to 4X scopes on them and I leave them set at 3X And I have killed game with those rifles and scopes set at low power from Ranges of 1 yard all the way out past 450 MANY times. I shoot my 2X scout scoped 30-06 to 500 on targets quite often, and my 4X scope on one of my 270s I fire at 1200 yards several times a year and do very well with it too. I don't always hit my targets (12" gong) with the 270 at 800-1200, but I hit more then I miss. I do it with my 300 mag too, with it's 2X-7X, and I leave it on 4X. You see, making the target look larger doesn't actually make it larger. Magnifying the target doesn't make a bullet grow in diameter either.

Many if not most of those that say the variable is "better" are just guessing, and have not go the years and the kills behind them to have a valid opinion based on 1st hand knowledge.

I've been hunting almost as long as you, and have been fortunate enough to hunt in many places for many types of game. I'll take the variable every time, and like many others here, have the kills and experience to not be guessing. I can turn my variable up if I feel the need, which I’ve done on many occasions. There’s not much that can’t be done with a 4x, but there’s not much that can’t be done better with a variable, IMO.

Last edited by John55; 05/17/20.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I didn’t start hunting until 1969 so behind some here but I’ve hunted primarily in the local mountains & those in Colorado & Utah. Not many whitetail woods & even the thick stuff has cross canyon openings. So longer distance shots are common. My grandfather hunted deer with a semi-auto 30-06 & variable scope for fast follow up & ability to reach out if needed.

If you hunt extremely game rich areas with long seasons you don’t need to maximize your opportunities. Hunting public land elk in NW Colorado isn’t shy of animals but opportunities may be few & far between. I’m not willing to waste one with an underpowered scope & rifle combination. If 60 yards is your ballpark by all means low power is adequate. Of course my variable scopes for hunting start mostly at 3 power so that range is covered too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To answer what I consider a ligament question "How is the 4X better? " So I'll answer in full respect and with my set of fact that leads be to this conclusion.

How's it better? In a few ways. Not any being universal but all just as ligament as the question asked.

#1 Is that field of view and light gathering are better from a fixed low powered scope then they are from a higher magnification. For game hunting I have found clarity and field of view beat larger images every time if any quickness is needed for a shot.
So the counter would be that "a variable can be set at lower power". Very true and that's exactly what I do, and what I said I do in the post above. But being that I shoot them every time on the lower power for hunting (including my longer shots-- because I can see better due to the scope allowance of more light at lower power) it makes me ask the question why I would spend a lot more money on a feature I have found to be close to useless over the last 50+ years? So for real world use they are better due to cost

#2 I own variables and I set them more/less permanently on the lower powers making them bulkier and/or heavier then a fixed power of the same magnification. So better in their size and weight.

#3 in all my years as a shooter, hunter, guide and firearms instructor I have never had to return a well made fixed power scope in for service due to it breaking something inside. I have had to have 5 of my own scoped repaired in my life and all of them were variables. These include 2 Leupolds, one Schmidt and Bender, one Burris and one Pentax. As a gun professional (gunsmith) I have also done it a few dozen times for customers and i know of at least as many that the owners did themselves and again ALL of the were variables. So I think I am safe to say for the top tier of reliability the fixed scope beats the variables. Better for reliability.

Now as I said I still own several rifles with variables on them, so I am not "against them" but if I were able to "write my own script" I would have 1 to 5X on 2 of my semi-autos and 100% of the rest of my guns for hunting big game would have good quality fixed scopes on them At this point of my life I wish every single rifle I had except my 6.8 SPC AR15 and my 5.56 AR 15 would have fixed scopes. My 2 ARs would have 1X to 5X scopes on them.

So "4X" is not as much an issue as the difference between a variable and a fixed, be it 2X 3X 4X or 6X.

To close I would point out that in a 1/4 mile run, if all runners were to cross the finish line in the span of 6 seconds the one that crossed last is "the slowest" and the one who crosses 1st is the fastest..... but the winner didn't make the losers slow. Same with fixed vs variable in my book. I am not someone that would refuse use and own a variable, but if I could, I would have nearly all fixed scopes. As it turned out many of my scopes are variables, but using them along with using fixed ones for over 1/2 a century is the REASON I am convinced the fixed scopes are indeed better for 99% of the real world shooting and hunting.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better? No. Just consistently a bit better for my uses anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I kind of felt that the question was tendon. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fixed scopes above the rim fire junk category are more reliable based on fewer points of failure. A 2000’s Crown Victoria is about as reliable a passenger vehicle produced - that doesn’t mean that I want to drive that particular Car or that it is the best tool for the job based on its limitations of poor fuel economy & Lack of off road capabilities. It does keep on going as police car’s & taxis so hard to complain but limited.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by szihn

#1 Is that field of view and light gathering are better from a fixed low powered scope then they are from a higher magnification. For game hunting I have found clarity and field of view beat larger images every time if any quickness is needed for a shot.
So the counter would be that "a variable can be set at lower power". Very true and that's exactly what I do, and what I said I do in the post above. But being that I shoot them every time on the lower power for hunting (including my longer shots-- because I can see better due to the scope allowance of more light at lower power) it makes me ask the question why I would spend a lot more money on a feature I have found to be close to useless over the last 50+ years? So for real world use they are better due to cost

What exactly do you mean by light gathering being better for a fixed low power scope? Same for "the scope allowance of more light at low power"?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
In theory, light transmission is better for a fixed power, at the same power level, but the reality is, there isn't much difference. In fact, the high dollar variables might get better coatings and do even better. Every scope I have lets me see better, in low light conditions, than I can with the naked eye so I don't worry much about this.
I feel confident that I can hit what I want, out to 400 yds, with a 4X scope. If I see good ram at 500, I'll either get closer or I won't get that ram today.
I have to say, that Model 70 with the Lyman All-American, shown earlier in the thread; what a nice looking outfit. That is one reason I like the classic 4 powers, they are nice looking scopes. Scopes which a big and bulky, with prominent adjustment turrets and accented graphics, leave me cold. As I said before, I'm not a modern hunter. GD

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Fixed power scopes aren't popular

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
^
^
^

No argument there.

But neither is truth these days.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Always had a thing for the classic ‘look’ of a fixed power scope.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a few fixed 4x scopes one on my .30-30 and one on my ar.. While I respect szihn's experience, my main hunting rifles have scopes from 2- 14 power.. Some special longer range rifles go up to 20.. But for my main one I have them set on the highest power .. I leave it there unless I know I am getting a close moving shot.. My cousin told me 60 years ago, if I bought a 2.5-8 B & L scope for my .30-06, I would use it on 8x most of the time.. He was right.. I remember a deer shot in the thick brush in Pa. when I was about 20.. I was putting on a drive the last day for friends, when we jumped a group of deer in a crab apple thicket.. My pal had a 94 32 spl.. I had the old 06 with the scope at 8x.. He could see the deer flicking thorough the brush, but by the time he got thing lined up, they were gone.. As they headed my way I jumped up on a little stump.. As the first one crossed the opening in front of me , maybe 50 yards I got on that spot.. When the next one hit it I fired and broke its neck.. My pals had venison due to the scope...

Years later I went to Africa, and took my .375 H & H with a 6x because I didn't have the 4x or 3x everyone said was perfect.. I killed one waterbuck with it and then used my .300 with the 4-12.. Ranges weren't long, but the 12 x let me find a hole to shoot through in the heavy brush.. My .375 has a 3-9 on it today.. Now some folks set their scopes at 4 x and never change.. That is fine, but how do they know what can be done with a higher power scope if they never use it... I will take a variable every time...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have some variables from back when I thought I needed one for here in Pa, or bought for a good price....then I found out I didn’t....Then there are some highly respected hunters that post on here that say they find them more than adequate for most situations...so my answer is yes....

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
E
A fixed power scope has a classic look

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sundial or Seiko?

I'll take the sundial!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you need more than 4x you are sniping not “hunting”.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just put a Leupold 4x on my pre 64 338 win mag. Mounted nice and low, fits perfectly.

Plan on using it this year for whitetail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by czech1022
I grew up reading the OLD outdoor writers - Keith, O'Connor, Townsend, Trueblood and others - and in much of their writing, a sporterized 30-06 with a Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2X or a Weaver K4 scope was THE hot setup.

Of course, it had to have backup iron sights for when the scope failed - and it seemed everyone knew someone whose scope failed in some way during a critical phase of their hunt, especially those whippersnappers who dared to get a newfangled variable scope.

Anyway, I just cleaned out my gun closet and found three fixed 4X scopes - a Burris, whose matte black finish has gracefully aged to a dark gray, a gloss Leupold M8 4X28, whose turret caps are just starting to show a bit of the dark plum color old Leupys are known for, and a Bushnell Scopechief 4X with a post and fine crosshairs reticle, the body showing scars of many ham-handed attempts to mount it in ill-fitting rings.

Other than a single 30-06 with a fixed 6X, every other rifle I have is used either with iron sights (Springfield Trapdoor 45-70, Marlin 1894 .357 lever action, T/C Hawken 50 cal muzzleloader) or a variable scope.

Is there any hunting situation where the 4X reigns supreme?

I have only ten scoped rifles. Three each are variable, 4X, and 6X, and one is 3X. Of the three I actually use for hunting the is one 3-9 x 40, one 6x42, one 4x33. In my hunting I don't really notice a difference between 4X and 6X, so claiming a 4X reigns supreme isn't something I'm going to do. The 4X I used for hunting is just a good scope regardless of power.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Hell yeah....just a shame that more manufacturers don't make good ones. Apparently, there's more money to be made in high power variables.

More customer to be had at least.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike_S
If we were buying them the manufacturers would be producing them. Hunters voting with their wallets.

Sad, but true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nepahunter
Love the fixed power never have to think about it just point and shoot

That's the chief advantage in my mind. One less thing to think about.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1Longbow, 1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.