24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap #14888277 05/18/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
I am looking at building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm. I don't want to spend alot of money on it. I need to hear from the skinflints on this one. I guess my first thing to do is find a used rifle in 223 Remington. I could go Savage or Remington and use a nut for switching barrels. Also thought about having the barrel rebored. How would you do it?


Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14888515 05/18/20
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,099
CJC73 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,099
I just purchased one of these. New savage action with a green mountain barrel in a Boyds stock, rail and rings, dies and 100 pcs of brass for just over $400. I'm excited to get it. really nicely done

Good luck with your build.

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14888666 05/18/20
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
G
Gacamp Offline
New Member
Offline
New Member
G
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
I am in the process now of putting one together. I'll be using a Howa 1500 223 and replacing the barrel with a prefit from Preferred Barrels. Twist will be 1 in 10 with the thought of shooting mabye up to 85 grs. for the occasional deer but primarily to use up some of the hundreds of 6mm custom bullets I have accumulated over the years of shooting short range benchrest. I'm really looking forward to this build, I'll report back with my results.

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: CJC73] #14888859 05/18/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by CJC73
I just purchased one of these. New savage action with a green mountain barrel in a Boyds stock, rail and rings, dies and 100 pcs of brass for just over $400. I'm excited to get it. really nicely done

Good luck with your build.


Let us know how it shoots.

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: Gacamp] #14888873 05/18/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by Gacamp
I am in the process now of putting one together. I'll be using a Howa 1500 223 and replacing the barrel with a prefit from Preferred Barrels. Twist will be 1 in 10 with the thought of shooting mabye up to 85 grs. for the occasional deer but primarily to use up some of the hundreds of 6mm custom bullets I have accumulated over the years of shooting short range benchrest. I'm really looking forward to this build, I'll report back with my results.


Sounds like a fun project. I am going to build one because of Virginia's .23 caliber or larger on deer. It looks to be about the minimum I could use with the least amount of recoil. Plus I also have a bunch of 6mm bullets to shoot up. I will look forward to hear your report on your project. BTW, what made you decide to use the Howa 1500 223 for your project?

IC-A

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14889099 05/18/20
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,009
M
micky Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
M
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,009
You could likely buy a heavy 243 and end up with the same recoil much easier.


"Pain and fear are your best friends. Pain lets you know you're alive and fear lets you know you're still sane."
Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14889299 05/18/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
I definitely don't want a heavy barrel rifle. Plus a 243 you're talking 10 to 15 grains more powder. And I have an irrational hatred of the 243 Winchester.

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14889455 05/18/20
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 761
I
IMR4350 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 761
How about using one of those Sako or CZ mini Mauser actions? I think that would make for a nice build.

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14889552 05/18/20
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 393
C
ckat Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 393
I built one off of a Stevens 200. Used a stainless E.R. Shaw in 1:10 finished at 22”. I LOVE IT!!! It goes with me everywhere, and probably has drawn more blood than any other rifle I own.

I shoot 85gr Sierra GK HPBT in front H335 at 2705 FPS.

Doing it again, I would consider:
McGowen barrels
1:8 twist
20” barrel

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: IMR4350] #14889932 05/18/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by IMR4350
How about using one of those Sako or CZ mini Mauser actions? I think that would make for a nice build.


Which type of Sako?

IC-B

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: ckat] #14889959 05/18/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by ckat
I built one off of a Stevens 200. Used a stainless E.R. Shaw in 1:10 finished at 22”. I LOVE IT!!! It goes with me everywhere, and probably has drawn more blood than any other rifle I own.

I shoot 85gr Sierra GK HPBT in front H335 at 2705 FPS.

Doing it again, I would consider:
McGowen barrels
1:8 twist
20” barrel


The Stevens 200 is basically a Savage 10/110, right? I used that Sierra bullet when I had my first centerfire rifle and Ruger 77 in 243 Winchester. Many groundhogs and foxes were dispatched with it. A really good bullet. I definitely don't plan on shooting anything over 85 grains in it, so I would be looking at a 1:10 twist. Why McGowen barrels? Did your E.R. Shaw not perform like you want?

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890155 05/18/20
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 586
B
Blu_Cs Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 586
This is an interesting concept: a 6MM/223

Similarly, I wonder if a .223 necked up to 6.5MM or 7mm might not be an interesting concept as well. I googled it and a "TCU" in 7MM seems to be the monniker but I'm thinking rifle not handgun.

Last edited by Blu_Cs; 05/18/20.

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.. Psalm 33:12
Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890174 05/18/20
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,779
PennDog Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,779
I used a Remington 788 in .223 and put a 1:8 Pac-nor #1 contour on it.....not the cheapest route plus I had “lightening” cuts done on the action and bolt, Cerakoted the metal, reshaped the wood stock and had it dipped in a camo pattern. That all said it is a little sweetheart and have taken some turkeys and deer with it using the same basic load as ckat. You’ll enjoy this round Barm!

PennDog

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890244 05/18/20
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 10,630
K
kwg020 Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 10,630
I have a .223 ADL I have considered getting the Remage barrel set up and making a 6-45. I was thinking a 1-9 twist. 1-10 seems a little slow to me. Another option is the 25 Sharps and shooting bullets in the 90 to 110 range. I have buckets of .223/5.56 brass to play with.

kwg


For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it.
TRR
Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890311 05/18/20
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,619
efw Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,619
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by IMR4350
How about using one of those Sako or CZ mini Mauser actions? I think that would make for a nice build.


Which type of Sako?


I have a Zastava mini-mauser in .223 Rem which I’d briefly contemplated doing this with but the Mag box would WAY be too short. It JUST fits 55 GR FMJs seated to the cannelure.

Seems like a 6-223 with 70 & 90 GR NBTs would be cats @$$ for vermin & deer.

I’d think a Howa 1500 in .223 would be a good place to start for one on the cheap. A Kimber 84M would be da bomb...


Don't you ever wonder why
In spite of all that's wrong here
There's still so much that goes so right
And beauty abounds?

The thunder rolls and the baby sighs
And the rain comes down
Don't you wanta thank someone for this?
-Andrew Peterson
Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890452 05/18/20
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 761
I
IMR4350 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by IMR4350
How about using one of those Sako or CZ mini Mauser actions? I think that would make for a nice build.


Which type of Sako?

Sorry I meant to say Zastava but as efw says the mag box is to short.

Last edited by IMR4350; 05/18/20.
Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890513 05/18/20
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 780
N
NMpistolero Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 780
I’m planning one on a 700 clone. Preferred Barrel remage 8” twist. 18”-20” sporter.

Sako L-461 and A1 donors would preclude an inexpensive build and be confined on mag length.


"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"


"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: barm] #14890861 05/18/20
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 393
C
ckat Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by barm

The Stevens 200 is basically a Savage 10/110, right? I used that Sierra bullet when I had my first centerfire rifle and Ruger 77 in 243 Winchester. Many groundhogs and foxes were dispatched with it. A really good bullet. I definitely don't plan on shooting anything over 85 grains in it, so I would be looking at a 1:10 twist. Why McGowen barrels? Did your E.R. Shaw not perform like you want?


Yes, same Savage 10 centerfeed action sans Accutrigger.

The 85gr SGK is DEADLY. 4 of the does below fell to that combo one day on a doe cull trip. Farthest was about 260 yards. None of them went more than 20 yards with a single shot into the boiler.

I didn’t know about McGowens when I ordered. Cheap was a focus on this build, so the more expensive barrels were out of the question. I have since learned of the McGowens, and they seem to be REALLY accurate. 10 or so years ago, they were about the same cost as Shaws.

My gun shoots consistently about MOA. With that said, my load “work up” was comprised of one bullet and one powder. It has been working ever since...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: PennDog] #14891580 05/19/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by PennDog
I used a Remington 788 in .223 and put a 1:8 Pac-nor #1 contour on it.....not the cheapest route plus I had “lightening” cuts done on the action and bolt, Cerakoted the metal, reshaped the wood stock and had it dipped in a camo pattern. That all said it is a little sweetheart and have taken some turkeys and deer with it using the same basic load as ckat. You’ll enjoy this round Barm!

PennDog


Sounds like a cool rifle PennDog!

Re: Building a 6mm/223 aka 6x45mm on the cheap [Re: kwg020] #14891586 05/19/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a .223 ADL I have considered getting the Remage barrel set up and making a 6-45. I was thinking a 1-9 twist. 1-10 seems a little slow to me. Another option is the 25 Sharps and shooting bullets in the 90 to 110 range. I have buckets of .223/5.56 brass to play with.

kwg

I saw the 25 Sharps too. If I would go 25 caliber, I would go 250 Savage.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
759 registered members (06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 89 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 983 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.19 Page Time: 0.052s Queries: 15 (0.002s) Memory: 0.8747 MB (Peak: 1.0405 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2020-07-14 02:26:56 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS