D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by duck911
Tumda and don't look back.

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

Goldendoodle. Best dog we've ever had.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by turkish
Originally Posted by auk1124
I am really leery of the new Ford system that shuts the motor down when you stop. It may work fine, I dunno, but seems to me it would put a lot more wear and tear on the starter. Maybe I'm wrong.

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off

My Ford’s system can be deactivated with the push of a button supplied by the factory. My GMC’s system can only be deactivated by an aftermarket device that voids the warranty. Guess which I prefer.

Mine never does that... But then, I drive the 6.7PSD.. smile
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by MAC
Don't buy new. Buy one a year or two old and get the depreciation value out of the way. Every vehicle on the road is a used vehicle and so will a new one be as soon as the tires hit the pavement outside the lot. At that moment you just lost 25% of the value. Haven't bought new in decades for this very reason. You can get used with full warranties and save the 25% which on the price of new trucks is significant.

That used to be true, but recent years, it's just not anymore.

Do some looking.

A pickup...say an F150 Supercrew 4x4... say 2 years old an 20k miles on it.

Price it.

Then after dealer/factory incentives, price a brand new one.

The used one will be within perhaps a couple or three thousand dollars. And have less, or no warranty.

Clean, used, low mileage pickups bring a premium. If you can find one... It won't be significantly less than a new one, in my experience.

And you'd be correct... That wasn't true about 15+ years ago, but it is now..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
I am really leery of the new Ford system that shuts the motor down when you stop. It may work fine, I dunno, but seems to me it would put a lot more wear and tear on the starter. Maybe I'm wrong.

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off

My Ford’s system can be deactivated with the push of a button supplied by the factory. My GMC’s system can only be deactivated by an aftermarket device that voids the warranty. Guess which I prefer.

Mine never does that... But then, I drive the 6.7PSD.. smile
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by MAC
Don't buy new. Buy one a year or two old and get the depreciation value out of the way. Every vehicle on the road is a used vehicle and so will a new one be as soon as the tires hit the pavement outside the lot. At that moment you just lost 25% of the value. Haven't bought new in decades for this very reason. You can get used with full warranties and save the 25% which on the price of new trucks is significant.

That used to be true, but recent years, it's just not anymore.

Do some looking.

A pickup...say an F150 Supercrew 4x4... say 2 years old an 20k miles on it.

Price it.

Then after dealer/factory incentives, price a brand new one.

The used one will be within perhaps a couple or three thousand dollars. And have less, or no warranty.

Clean, used, low mileage pickups bring a premium. If you can find one... It won't be significantly less than a new one, in my experience.

And you'd be correct... That wasn't true about 15+ years ago, but it is now..

Depends on where you are. I'm in TX and we have good deals on used trucks all over the place. Nearly everyone here drives trucks and they upgrade every couple of years so there are deals here. Not sure what state you live in but come to TX and shop for used trucks sometime.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The big three produce absolute garbage compared to Toyota. The only way I would buy another Big Three vehicle is if I was in the market for a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Even then I would plan on it being a POS from the get go.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bought this 2010 Frontier used in 2018. 40K miles always garaged. I got it from a used car lot for $16K. A new one is double that.
This seems like a new truck to me, I got such a good deal I should be locked up for stealing.
My brother bought the same truck, a 2014, bought it new and he loves it. He has 115K mile on it and never has had any work done on the brakes, mechanic told him last week the brakes needed no repairs. We love our Nissans.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In SC. Had a 2013 F-150 with 136,000 miles on it. Good truck. No trouble. But, I was getting a travel trailer that weighed 5,500 lbs dry. It wouldn't pull it. So, was looking and Tundras and last July stumbled across a 2018 Tundra TRD 4x4 Crew Max with 10,000 miles on it for $35K. At a Ford dealer no less. Great truck. 5.7 V8.Gas mileage isn't super. Average is between 16.5 and 17.3. Can do close to 19 on the road if I take it easy. It pulls the trailer with no issues. We have no children and three dogs, so I took the back seats out. Eight bolts and there is a ton of space in back. Leer cap with lifting side windows and removable front window. The only better truck I've owned is a 1995 F-250 with the International diesel. Wish I'd never let that one go.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Where the hell is Walt501, covid got him?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I wish Stihl made trucks.

They both take Seafoam!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

But does it hunt?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The emperor would appreciate buying a jap rig. They need the money over there.

A whole bunch of Americans are making a decent living building Toyota trucks here in San Antonio.

And the profits they make for the emperor go straight to Japan.....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The emperor would appreciate buying a jap rig. They need the money over there.

A whole bunch of Americans are making a decent living building Toyota trucks here in San Antonio.

And the profits they make for the emperor go straight to Japan.....

Toyota is more America made than most domestic brands. I think the Tundra ranks number two for most American made truck at least it was the last time I checked. That is a out of American families earning a good income. Do you think the domestic vehicles tag are made in Mexico or Canada are feeding those families any better?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Always get a kick out of these truck threads. We've owned over 100 1/2T trucks over the past 20 years, Ford's, Chevy's, a Ram or two (never again), and 5 Tundras. The early Tundras were much more trouble free than the older ones that look like today's model. The last one I had was a '14 1794 Crew 4x4. The cold start sensor went out at 40k, the info system went out twice at 45 and 60k, and the navigation went out twice at 45k and 60k. Yes, fuel mileage was abysmal. Hope you have better luck with the latest models than I did. IMO the newer F150's and Z71's run circes around the outdated and outclassed 4x4 Tundras.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Heym06

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

But does it hunt?

‘Twill Hunt duck balls

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. And it will get better mileage and have more power than a Tundra with the big EcoBoost V6 too.

But the Tundra's engine and tranny will last over 50000 miles. So so much for the huge gas savings and its nice not to deactivate and or purchase after market items so your new big three truck doesn't suddenly shutdown or blow up on a long trip.

I took my time and found a year old Tundra with low miles at a BMW dealer and saved quite a bit over new price. Be patient

Last edited by ribka; 05/18/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

Looks like your dogs needs a peddi. grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The lack of 'tech' is another reason I went with the Tundra. "but but but its a 13 year old design". Exactly why I wanted it. No engine shutting off at the stoplight. No cylinder deactivation when not under load. Big ol' fat knobs for the HVAC instead of push buttons on a touch screen. No turbo powered V6. Some may all be for that and worship at the alter of new technology, and that is fine. I don't.

This X 1000!!

I've had a Tundra for 6 years now and this year I finally had to fix something. The battery died so I got a little crazy and got new wiper blades too.

Wife had a Cadillac which was pretty and comfortable, but it had issues with some of the high tech stuff. Mostly electronics. The "CUE" infotainment system controlled everything...when it worked. Came out of a restaurant on a nice 95F day and the CUE wouldn't work. Couldn't turn on the air, couldn't even use the radio. That was enough. Time to go Toyota.

Traded the Caddy on a new 4Runner TRD. Old school with built in reliability. Heck, we even have to raise the rear hatch by hand! Can wave your foot around under the bumper all day and nothing happens! I love it! smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dammit, the $20,000 GMC I've got eyeballed that's 7 years old, has low miles, rides like a limo & gets 21 mpg, is sounding better to me ll the time. And... If my wifey will help, I can get 10% off the best Yota deal. But.

Know for a fact that GM trucks ride with the best & the 1/2 tons, even in 4x4, get better mileage than most. I'm totally aware of the resale & the dependability of the Yotas, but they still don't strike me as real trucks, & the ride or mpg still ain't there.

Just an opinion, or preference.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can’t complain about my Chevy but I wish I would’ve bought a Tundra. They just seem to last. The Chevy has a nicer interior but I really bought it because I thought the gas mileage would be allot better. It really hasn’t been that much better than the Tundra

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Always get a kick out of these truck threads. We've owned over 100 1/2T trucks over the past 20 years, Ford's, Chevy's, a Ram or two (never again), and 5 Tundras. The early Tundras were much more trouble free than the older ones that look like today's model. The last one I had was a '14 1794 Crew 4x4. The cold start sensor went out at 40k, the info system went out twice at 45 and 60k, and the navigation went out twice at 45k and 60k. Yes, fuel mileage was abysmal. Hope you have better luck with the latest models than I did. IMO the newer F150's and Z71's run circes around the outdated and outclassed 4x4 Tundras.

Yep.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like the Tundras. Old tech for sure, but they are nice trucks. Everybody talks resale but it’s the Tacoma that carries most of the water in that department.

Chevy and Ford both make some great trucks and the 3.5EB is a beast of a motor.
20 years ago you couldn’t of given me a Dodge but the newer ones look pretty nice, best aesthetically IMO, and get solid reviews.

I’d find the best deal that meets you’re needs and not worry about brand. All will go 100’s of k’miles. My last 3 trucks, 2 Ford and a GMC, all have gone well over 200k. Still running 2 of them. Ford brakes suck is my biggest bitch.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.