Home
Posted By: 19352012 I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Any thoughts or opinions? I have the big three dealerships local but have always been intrigued by the Tundra. Willing to look at Nissan also. Thanks
The emperor would appreciate buying a jap rig. They need the money over there.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Been driving jap rigs most of my life. I highly recommend them...
Posted By: horse1 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Which dealership offers the best service after the sale?
Originally Posted by horse1
Which dealership offers the best service after the sale?

Other than an oil change it shouldn’t even be a necessity.
Posted By: MAC Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Don't buy new. Buy one a year or two old and get the depreciation value out of the way. Every vehicle on the road is a used vehicle and so will a new one be as soon as the tires hit the pavement outside the lot. At that moment you just lost 25% of the value. Haven't bought new in decades for this very reason. You can get used with full warranties and save the 25% which on the price of new trucks is significant.
Posted By: hanco Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I bought a new Dodge 3/4 Big Horn about a year ago. I like it.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I am really leery of the new Ford system that shuts the motor down when you stop. It may work fine, I dunno, but seems to me it would put a lot more wear and tear on the starter. Maybe I'm wrong.

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off or not.

Haven't heard what Ram or the Japs are doing to hit current CAFE fuel standards. I assume Ram is doing something like GM and Ford, not sure about the Japs.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Good luck finding what you like! If hauling and towing heavy, American is the only thing out there! If light work and driving hunting and around town go import! Just my 2cents.
I have been driving 4WD Nissan Frontiers for 32 years. Highly recommended.
Posted By: shootAI Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Not sure if they still do, but tundras used to get horrible fuel mileage. Great trucks other than that.
Posted By: KFWA Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I'd really like to buy a Frontier but I've heard so many negative things about Nissans in general over the years I'm scared to pull the trigger. You can find a 4wd crew cab Frontier for a few thousand less than a Tacoma.
Posted By: 30338 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I've had two tundras and have had excellent success with them. Did Chevy and Dodge ever move production out of Mexico?
Posted By: gunzo Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
For a year I've been tracking prices on a particular model Chevy, & one of the nations largest volume Chevy truck dealers is near. That one keeps the others in line.

I hear of the recent great deals possible during this slow down, a lure.

Not happening. The Silverado has lost some factory incentives or, dealers have raised prices knowing that a lot of folks think they can get a better deal right now. The same trucks, option for option, are 8% higher than they were in Feb. I don't know the answer, but in my neck of the woods, the already high prices have gotten higher.
I loved my tundra. Drove it for twelve mostly trouble free years till I traded it for my new Tacoma, and on the occasion something did go wrong, the factory bent over double to make it right. The only bitch I have is that the mileage was horrendous.
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
I loved my tundra. Drove it for twelve mostly trouble free years till I traded it for my new Tacoma, and on the occasion something did go wrong, the factory bent over double to make it right. The only bitch I have is that the mileage was horrendous.

Is the mileage much better on the Tacoma?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I bought a 2020 Tundra in late August. Have 13,000 miles on it now. Computer is showing 15.8 mpg right now for mixed driving. Have no complaints at all with it.

Since leveled the front end and tinted the front windows.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I wish Stihl made trucks.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

It is “better“, but that’s a relative term. So not really, no

It is “better“, but that’s a relative term. So not really, no

Fuel mileage and range is about the only complaints you hear from Toyota owners. I can't carry enough stuff in a full size long bed so there's no way a Toyota will work for me.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I can't carry enough stuff in a full size long bed so there's no way a Toyota will work for me.

Huh?
Posted By: duck911 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Tumda and don't look back.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MAC
Don't buy new. Buy one a year or two old and get the depreciation value out of the way. Every vehicle on the road is a used vehicle and so will a new one be as soon as the tires hit the pavement outside the lot. At that moment you just lost 25% of the value. Haven't bought new in decades for this very reason. You can get used with full warranties and save the 25% which on the price of new trucks is significant.

You haven't shopped used Toyota trucks lately.

A whole bunch of Americans are making a decent living building Toyota trucks here in San Antonio.
Silverado with 6.2 and the 3.42 rear end .
Was in the same position a couple months ago. Test drove and ballpark priced everything initially. Came down to RAM or Tundra for me, landed on a 2019 RAM initially but dealer tried jacking me around after price was agreed upon and I showed up to sign. He did me a favor. Went with a 2019 Tundra 1794 instead, not disappointed in the least. Can't find anything to complain about 2 1/2 months in, 10 years down the road when I'm ready for the next one there is no doubt the Tundra will have held its value better.
Posted By: turkish Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by auk1124
I am really leery of the new Ford system that shuts the motor down when you stop. It may work fine, I dunno, but seems to me it would put a lot more wear and tear on the starter. Maybe I'm wrong.

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off

My Ford’s system can be deactivated with the push of a button supplied by the factory. My GMC’s system can only be deactivated by an aftermarket device that voids the warranty. Guess which I prefer.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by turkish

My Ford’s system can be deactivated with the push of a button supplied by the factory. My GMC’s system can only be deactivated by an aftermarket device that voids the warranty. Guess which I prefer.

Good to hear that the Ford system can be disabled. The plug-in Range box to disable the GM system doesn't void the warranty. Does cost about a hundred bucks though. Plug into the ODB port, done.
Posted By: Reba Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Remember a Tundra is still a half ton.
Not a truck but I was sitting in traffic next to a BMW SUV today, when we started rolling again it was apparent he had the auto shutoff design because the starter cranked for a moment right before he rolled. Sounded rough, BMW ain't Toyota or Honda, I felt bad for the guy.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

It’d wear out a gorillas shoulder just trying to start the damn thing!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
I went from Tacos to Tundra about seven years ago. Absolutely no complaints. I enjoy a comfortable truck that works well and is fast enough to get in and out of traffic, etc. Also, it has enough towing capability for more than I ever want to haul which, historically, has only included boats around or just over 20 feet, 2-horse trailers, 12 foot Uhaul trailers loaded and flatbed trailers, not with heavy equipment, just farm tractors.Mileage runs 13 - 17 depending on how I drive it. I like vehicles that work well, gives me peace of mind. Traveling with a whole collection of tools and doing roadside repairs went out of style for me a long time ago. Goofy little schitt the dealer can't seem to get straightened out gets my blood pressure up. i'm really happy with my Tundra.

To mention too, the inside has enough room for the whole family plus my wife's little dogs in their dog crates. First time my FIL saw the inside of my first Tundra he said, "It's like a limo in here!"

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off

Yep. And it will get better mileage and have more power than a Tundra with the big EcoBoost V6 too.
Posted By: cv540 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Looked at trucks earlier this year.
Both the Ford and Chev 2019 trucks had the auto start/stop system that shut the engine off when stopped like at a light. Both had a button to disable it, but only for that driving session. Next time you start the vehicle you have to disable it again. This really aggravated me, as I knew everytime I started the vehicle and had to press the damn button I could thank Obama and the Democrats.

Found a low mileage 2018 that didnt have this idiotic system and bought that instead.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner

It’d wear out a gorillas shoulder just trying to start the damn thing!

Cranking that baby from the front would really suck

Well, maybe it would come with an Echo starter?
Posted By: MarcH Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
After owning Tundras for the last 15 years, I made the mistake of buying a F150. There is absolutely no comparison as far as trouble free ownership is concerned. Fifteen years and 300,00+ miles on Tundras, never back to a dealership. Less than one year and 15000 miles, the Ford has been to a dealership for warranty work at least three times (is at dealership for warranty work as this is typed).
Last Tundra sold for $6000.00 less than purchased for after 5 or 6 years of ownership. Ford has gone down in value $9000.00+ in less than a year.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
The lack of 'tech' is another reason I went with the Tundra. "but but but its a 13 year old design". Exactly why I wanted it. No engine shutting off at the stoplight. No cylinder deactivation when not under load. Big ol' fat knobs for the HVAC instead of push buttons on a touch screen. No turbo powered V6. Some may all be for that and worship at the alter of new technology, and that is fine. I don't.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by MAC

You haven't shopped used Toyota trucks lately.

Exactly...I put 2 years and 20k on a 2017 and sold it for 37000 a year ago. I paid 40k for it.
Originally Posted by MAC

That used to be true, but recent years, it's just not anymore.

Do some looking.

A pickup...say an F150 Supercrew 4x4... say 2 years old an 20k miles on it.

Price it.

Then after dealer/factory incentives, price a brand new one.

The used one will be within perhaps a couple or three thousand dollars. And have less, or no warranty.

Clean, used, low mileage pickups bring a premium. If you can find one... It won't be significantly less than a new one, in my experience.
Originally Posted by duck911

[Linked Image]

Poodle?
Posted By: duck911 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

Goldendoodle. Best dog we've ever had.
Posted By: Redneck Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20

Mine never does that... But then, I drive the 6.7PSD.. smile
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by MAC

Do some looking.

Price it.

The used one will be within perhaps a couple or three thousand dollars. And have less, or no warranty.

Clean, used, low mileage pickups bring a premium. If you can find one... It won't be significantly less than a new one, in my experience.

And you'd be correct... That wasn't true about 15+ years ago, but it is now..
Posted By: MAC Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by Redneck

Mine never does that... But then, I drive the 6.7PSD.. smile
Originally Posted by MAC

Do some looking.

Price it.

And you'd be correct... That wasn't true about 15+ years ago, but it is now..

Depends on where you are. I'm in TX and we have good deals on used trucks all over the place. Nearly everyone here drives trucks and they upgrade every couple of years so there are deals here. Not sure what state you live in but come to TX and shop for used trucks sometime.
Posted By: BWalker Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
The big three produce absolute garbage compared to Toyota. The only way I would buy another Big Three vehicle is if I was in the market for a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Even then I would plan on it being a POS from the get go.

I bought this 2010 Frontier used in 2018. 40K miles always garaged. I got it from a used car lot for $16K. A new one is double that.
This seems like a new truck to me, I got such a good deal I should be locked up for stealing.
My brother bought the same truck, a 2014, bought it new and he loves it. He has 115K mile on it and never has had any work done on the brakes, mechanic told him last week the brakes needed no repairs. We love our Nissans.
In SC. Had a 2013 F-150 with 136,000 miles on it. Good truck. No trouble. But, I was getting a travel trailer that weighed 5,500 lbs dry. It wouldn't pull it. So, was looking and Tundras and last July stumbled across a 2018 Tundra TRD 4x4 Crew Max with 10,000 miles on it for $35K. At a Ford dealer no less. Great truck. 5.7 V8.Gas mileage isn't super. Average is between 16.5 and 17.3. Can do close to 19 on the road if I take it easy. It pulls the trailer with no issues. We have no children and three dogs, so I took the back seats out. Eight bolts and there is a ton of space in back. Leer cap with lifting side windows and removable front window. The only better truck I've owned is a 1995 F-250 with the International diesel. Wish I'd never let that one go.
Posted By: add Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Where the hell is Walt501, covid got him?
Posted By: add Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20

They both take Seafoam!
Posted By: Heym06 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

But does it hunt?
Posted By: bobinpa Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20

A whole bunch of Americans are making a decent living building Toyota trucks here in San Antonio.

And the profits they make for the emperor go straight to Japan.....
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Toyota is more America made than most domestic brands. I think the Tundra ranks number two for most American made truck at least it was the last time I checked. That is a out of American families earning a good income. Do you think the domestic vehicles tag are made in Mexico or Canada are feeding those families any better?
Always get a kick out of these truck threads. We've owned over 100 1/2T trucks over the past 20 years, Ford's, Chevy's, a Ram or two (never again), and 5 Tundras. The early Tundras were much more trouble free than the older ones that look like today's model. The last one I had was a '14 1794 Crew 4x4. The cold start sensor went out at 40k, the info system went out twice at 45 and 60k, and the navigation went out twice at 45k and 60k. Yes, fuel mileage was abysmal. Hope you have better luck with the latest models than I did. IMO the newer F150's and Z71's run circes around the outdated and outclassed 4x4 Tundras.
Originally Posted by Heym06

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

But does it hunt?

‘Twill Hunt duck balls
Posted By: ribka Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. And it will get better mileage and have more power than a Tundra with the big EcoBoost V6 too.

But the Tundra's engine and tranny will last over 50000 miles. So so much for the huge gas savings and its nice not to deactivate and or purchase after market items so your new big three truck doesn't suddenly shutdown or blow up on a long trip.

I took my time and found a year old Tundra with low miles at a BMW dealer and saved quite a bit over new price. Be patient
Posted By: ribka Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

Looks like your dogs needs a peddi. grin
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The lack of 'tech' is another reason I went with the Tundra. "but but but its a 13 year old design". Exactly why I wanted it. No engine shutting off at the stoplight. No cylinder deactivation when not under load. Big ol' fat knobs for the HVAC instead of push buttons on a touch screen. No turbo powered V6. Some may all be for that and worship at the alter of new technology, and that is fine. I don't.

This X 1000!!

I've had a Tundra for 6 years now and this year I finally had to fix something. The battery died so I got a little crazy and got new wiper blades too.

Wife had a Cadillac which was pretty and comfortable, but it had issues with some of the high tech stuff. Mostly electronics. The "CUE" infotainment system controlled everything...when it worked. Came out of a restaurant on a nice 95F day and the CUE wouldn't work. Couldn't turn on the air, couldn't even use the radio. That was enough. Time to go Toyota.

Traded the Caddy on a new 4Runner TRD. Old school with built in reliability. Heck, we even have to raise the rear hatch by hand! Can wave your foot around under the bumper all day and nothing happens! I love it! smile
Posted By: gunzo Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Dammit, the $20,000 GMC I've got eyeballed that's 7 years old, has low miles, rides like a limo & gets 21 mpg, is sounding better to me ll the time. And... If my wifey will help, I can get 10% off the best Yota deal. But.

Know for a fact that GM trucks ride with the best & the 1/2 tons, even in 4x4, get better mileage than most. I'm totally aware of the resale & the dependability of the Yotas, but they still don't strike me as real trucks, & the ride or mpg still ain't there.

Just an opinion, or preference.
I can’t complain about my Chevy but I wish I would’ve bought a Tundra. They just seem to last. The Chevy has a nicer interior but I really bought it because I thought the gas mileage would be allot better. It really hasn’t been that much better than the Tundra
Posted By: walt501 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Always get a kick out of these truck threads. We've owned over 100 1/2T trucks over the past 20 years, Ford's, Chevy's, a Ram or two (never again), and 5 Tundras. The early Tundras were much more trouble free than the older ones that look like today's model. The last one I had was a '14 1794 Crew 4x4. The cold start sensor went out at 40k, the info system went out twice at 45 and 60k, and the navigation went out twice at 45k and 60k. Yes, fuel mileage was abysmal. Hope you have better luck with the latest models than I did. IMO the newer F150's and Z71's run circes around the outdated and outclassed 4x4 Tundras.

Yep.
I like the Tundras. Old tech for sure, but they are nice trucks. Everybody talks resale but it’s the Tacoma that carries most of the water in that department.

Chevy and Ford both make some great trucks and the 3.5EB is a beast of a motor.
20 years ago you couldn’t of given me a Dodge but the newer ones look pretty nice, best aesthetically IMO, and get solid reviews.

I’d find the best deal that meets you’re needs and not worry about brand. All will go 100’s of k’miles. My last 3 trucks, 2 Ford and a GMC, all have gone well over 200k. Still running 2 of them. Ford brakes suck is my biggest bitch.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd really like to buy a Frontier but I've heard so many negative things about Nissans in general over the years I'm scared to pull the trigger. You can find a 4wd crew cab Frontier for a few thousand less than a Tacoma.

I've had five Nissan pickups since 1977, the only brand with multiple buys. I've had very little trouble with them, mostly just regular service stuff. No complaints at all. I'm driving one now, a 2016 Frontier, King Cab, SE w/Value Truck package. Mileage "could be better" but I got 22.1 mpg last weekend, on our "Sunday Drive" around rural Kentucky, that's the best mileage I've ever got out of it, to be honest, but it made me happy. Get the 6 cylinder (260+ HP), you'll be happier than with the 4 banger.

The Value Truck package has more gewgaws than I thought I needed, but those heated seats are pretty nice in wintertime, as is the zoned heating system, and the backup camera is pretty nice, too.

bought this ole girl in May of '02..2500 HD

sleeps in the garage a lot in her old age

Just getting ready to turn 124K miles

Helluva highway cruiser........

Some times I wish'd for the Duramax......other times not

otherwise.......

Toyota for me

Originally Posted by 30338
I've had two tundras and have had excellent success with them. Did Chevy and Dodge ever move production out of Mexico?

No, but Toyota is making Tacos, Hecho en Mexico.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My little brother put 270,000 miles on its twin. Still running when he sold it.
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yep.

+100
Posted By: Gus Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I bought this 2010 Frontier used in 2018. 40K miles always garaged. I got it from a used car lot for $16K. A new one is double that.
This seems like a new truck to me, I got such a good deal I should be locked up for stealing.
My brother bought the same truck, a 2014, bought it new and he loves it. He has 115K mile on it and never has had any work done on the brakes, mechanic told him last week the brakes needed no repairs. We love our Nissans.

nissan frontiers are good. in full agreement. and lot's of room too.

after my yota mini-truck, a '94 model got run over & kilt in sept 03, i bought a end of year 03 tundracar after the insurance cleared, etc.

it was plain vanilla, 6 cyl, long-bed, and nothing like my 73 3/4ton chevy horse i pulled firewood with. but it did crank & run.

still driving it, slate gray, and cranks every time i touch the starter. 50,000 miles the first year, going to jackson, ms. where the pepper is hot.

a little over 100 grand now, and it just runs like a top. goodness how i'd like to own a new tundra car, but the prices!!

oh, i paid at $16,000 for my 6 cyl plain cab, longbed 6 cyl tundracar. but it did have a plastic bed liner.

it's never been hung up crossways on rural ga. roads in twiggs county like my mini-truck was multiple times over the years. (it was easy to tow out).
Posted By: Gus Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/18/20
now that the covid is in japan, korea, brazil, india, russia,etc., where the profits fall means little to the working man, who has a job & pays taxes.

honestly, i would have thought that the red chi-coms would be flooding this country (the USA), with electric cars by now.

but alas, i was wrong! sometimes i can be wrong, but not often, and don't often admit it either.

if Tesla comes to Georgia, Colorado, or wherever the grass is greenest, then fine.

the problem with toyota, honda, etc. are the prices!!

could the red chi-coms sell through wal-mart??
Really depends on what you want the truck to do. Towing, hauling, off road, daily driver? Horses for courses. Noting wrong with the Toyota's, nor the Nissan. If you need to tow or haul, then to me there are better choices.

The GM system doesn't shut the motor off, it shuts down a sequence of motor cylinders when you are out on the highway. I don't like it either, but there are ways to turn that system off. I don't know if the Ford system can be shut off or not.

Haven't heard what Ram or the Japs are doing to hit current CAFE fuel standards. I assume Ram is doing something like GM and Ford, not sure about the Japs.

This is not correct

The GMC does have the auto stop/start. It aggravated me at first but I’ve gotten used to it, it absolutely helps with gas mileage, and I can turn it off with the touch of a button

GMC also has dynamic fuel management, which shuts down cylinders. You can disable it by driving in manual mode, instead of “drive”. A bit of a hassle that I have not bothered with. I can’t tell when it kicks in, only time will tell if it is damaging my engine somehow. I put 90k miles on a 2014 with a similar system without a problem

My truck is a 2019 Gmc with the 6.2 and 10 speed. It’s a beast. It will tow as well as any half ton and absolutely scream if you put the hammer down. The 10 speed is smooth as silk. I’ve had it one year exactly and right at 20k miles. Not a single problem to speak of and getting 17+ mpg with a heavy foot, oversized tires and a factory lift. And the “gimmick” tailgate is great

Yep it cost a fortune but I traded my 2014 Denali (also a virtually flawless truck) on it. The Denali held its value very well. and paid cash for the difference because, well, I can

I’ve tried to like the Fords but can’t convince myself to get an ecoboost. Tundra’s are tanks but they are way overdue for a redesign and my wife’s Lexus (same engine and platform) was a lemon with horrendous gas mileage. Dodge quality is suspect in my experience
Posted By: auk1124 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
GM must have added the motor shutoff thing in the last year or two. My 17 Silverado doesn't have it.
GM must have added the motor shutoff thing in the last year or two. My 17 Silverado doesn't have it.

It is part of the new K2 platform in 2019 along with the 10 speed transmission, new look, fancy tailgate, dynamic fuel management (as opposed to active fuel management) and a host of other changes that came along with the redesign
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

The Tacoma is made in San Antonio. But production will move to Mexico next year.
A year ago my girlfriend and I drove in the 4WD Frontier from NC to Yellowstone. Girlfriend couldn't get over how comfortable the truck was.
Her car is a Lexus and she said the Nissan was just as comfortable.
Gas just runs through the full sized YOTAS. If you are willing to settle for 15 MPG go for it,

The Tacoma is made in San Antonio. But production will move to Mexico next year.

They have been making them down south since '16. Trust me, I looked at them for a couple of years, and the window stickers all said assembled in Mexico.

I am not anti-Toyota, so dont go taking it that way. You can google it and see they moved some of their Taco production south. We probably get them here, being so close to the border.
A year ago my girlfriend and I drove in the 4WD Frontier from NC to Yellowstone. Girlfriend couldn't get over how comfortable the truck was.
Her car is a Lexus and she said the Nissan was just as comfortable.

Then her Lexus must really suck. Drove a friend’s Frontier over 200 miles. And it was NOT comfortable for my 6’2” frame. Not at all.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My little brother put 270,000 miles on its twin. Still running when he sold it.

when this pampered & cared for truck has 270K on it

I'll be dead & gone
Posted By: walt501 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20

They have been making them down south since '16. Trust me, I looked at them for a couple of years, and the window stickers all said assembled in Mexico.

I am not anti-Toyota, so dont go taking it that way. You can google it and see they moved some of their Taco production south. We probably get them here, being so close to the border.

We definitely get Mexican Tacos here, and in a little over a year all Taco's will come from Mexico.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tacoma-will-be-made-exclusively-in-mexico-140444.html
Originally Posted by 19352012
Any thoughts or opinions? I have the big three dealerships local but have always been intrigued by the Tundra. Willing to look at Nissan also. Thanks
................Mid sized truck or full sized truck??

Tundras look like bigger and bulkier trucks to me. I could be wrong....Maybe a little wider than Ford F150s, Chevy Silverados or Rams? Imo, Nissan full sized trucks are the ugliest of the bunch.

I gotta Ram Hemi and love it. Loves to cruise down the road at 90 with RPMs at 2000. Effortless! Only do dat on long trips when well out of town in open country with little traffic on the interstates like on the 40 when I do round trippers to Texas...

This will come down to your gotta have preferences and gotta have quirks. Exterior styling, interior appointments, dash controls, engine sound (can't beat a Hemi with magnaflows lol), ride quality, seating comfort and on and on and on.....

IMO, over the last say 8 to 10 years, the Ram 1500s have made substantial and very significant quality improvements with their interiors and ride quality (coil spring-air ride suspensions). Don't have the air ride in mine but the coil springs in all 4 corners still give it an excellent ride with no complaints.

Have fun choosing!

We definitely get Mexican Tacos here, and in a little over a year all Taco's will come from Mexico.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tacoma-will-be-made-exclusively-in-mexico-140444.html

I believe my '14 is from Kalifornia

I believe my '14 is from Kalifornia

nope

TX as per door tag
Posted By: duck911 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Heym06

But does it hunt?

Unfortunately, like most of the forum members here, she suffers from gout, diabetes, rhematoid arthritis, and sleep apnea, so.......no.

Posted By: bobinpa Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20

Toyota is more America made than most domestic brands. I think the Tundra ranks number two for most American made truck at least it was the last time I checked. That is a out of American families earning a good income. Do you think the domestic vehicles tag are made in Mexico or Canada are feeding those families any better?

I know that American based companies are supporting this nations economy better than the companies that are not based in this country, without a doubt. To me, it doesn't matter how good they are...they aren't American and since I make my money here, I spend my money here whenever I can. Bragging about sending American dollars to a foreign land is like bragging about wetting the bed. And for the record my trucks are made in America.
The Nissan is made in Tennessee. Non union.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Its probably a good thing that Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pick up. Because if they did, not many people would ever buy a Ford, GM or Ram gasoline powered HD pick up.

I’ve had two Tundras, an ‘07 and a ‘10. For the most part they were reliable but both of them had issues with the emissions system air injection pumps and air injection valves. The ‘07was covered under warranty but the ‘10 was outside the warranty and it is a very expensive fix, so I traded it in on a new F150.

The ‘07 had the 4.7 V8 and the ‘10 had the 5.7 Other than the emissions issues, both were rock solid reliable and burned no oil between changes up to the 185,000 miles where I traded them in. Both got pretty abysmal fuel milage. The 4.7/got about 16 mpg and the 5.7 averaged about 14.7 for a mix of probably 25% in town and 75% highway. Both had pretty good power but liked to rev to get that power under a load.

I’ve only put about 5000 miles on the F150 and it is the first Ford truck I’ve owned. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost and I knew the advertised performance numbers were better than the 5.7 Tundra’s but I was skeptical until I drove one. I just didn’t think they could get that much torque out a little bitty V6. I was happily mistaken. The 3.5 ecoboost would absolutey embarrass my 5.7 Tundra. Very noticeable increase in seat of the pants feel during acceleration and has much more torque much lower in the RPM band.

My F150 also gets substantially better fuel milage, averaging 19.2 mpg for the 5200 miles I’ve put on it so far.

So far, I prefer the F150. The only thing the Tundra might have over it is long term reliability but I don’t know yet. I’ll let you know in 100,000 miles or so.

John
This...I had the same problem with my Tundra 2013......Smoked and shook like a diesel when I started it....Took it in 5 times to get fixed ...Finally gave up...My 2016 F150 3.5 EB has been flawless 55000 on the clock so far....
Originally Posted by MAC

Do some looking.

Price it.

Been my experience as well, at least here in Texas.

John

Exactly.

Like talking to a brick wall though sometimes. Yes, they employ U.S. workers, that's great. Even better when they are non-union. But ultimately where to the profits go? Who owns the company? I try not to support foreign companies when I can.

Others' mileage may vary.
Posted By: RDW Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20

Bought an 05 4.0/6spd new and drove it 10 years and 200K, had a leaking pinion seal, cam tensioners and the fuse box replaced under warranty.

I did cam chains and tensioners myself around 195K over a weekend.

I would buy another Frontier if I wanted to downsize from my 2010 2500HD 6.0/6L90 I bought in 2015 with 82K miles.

I would give a Taco a try after owning a 79 SR5 18R back in the 80's, beat it to hell and it always go me there.
IMO depends on what you want to do with it. I have owned pickups all my life. I no longer pull an RV so do not need a diesel or 3/4 ton. I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra last year with the 5.3 motor and love it. 21-22 MPG highway 16-17 intown all day. Rides great. I looked at the Toyota Tundra. Biggest drawback is it only comes with .391 gears and gas milage is 17-18 max on a good day. They have not upgraded to the 8 or 10 speed trannies either. Good for pulling but how often will you need that. The new Canyon 3 cylinder diesel gets great milage if you are not needing a fullsize.
John, I bet you have good long term luck with that Ford. My dad put 335k on an '03 Ford, and now has 254k on a 2010 model. My uncle in Louisiana has just turned 210k in his 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4. They have had no problems other than normal wear and tear maintenance. I bet you really enjoy it.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
................Mid sized truck or full sized truck??

Tundras look like bigger and bulkier trucks to me. I could be wrong....Maybe a little wider than Ford F150s, Chevy Silverados or Rams? Imo, Nissan full sized trucks are the ugliest of the bunch.

I gotta Ram Hemi and love it. Loves to cruise down the road at 90 with RPMs at 2000. Effortless! Only do dat on long trips when well out of town in open country with little traffic on the interstates like on the 40 when I do round trippers to Texas...

This will come down to your gotta have preferences and gotta have quirks. Exterior styling, interior appointments, dash controls, engine sound (can't beat a Hemi with magnaflows lol), ride quality, seating comfort and on and on and on.....

IMO, over the last say 8 to 10 years, the Ram 1500s have made substantial and very significant quality improvements with their interiors and ride quality (coil spring-air ride suspensions). Don't have the air ride in mine but the coil springs in all 4 corners still give it an excellent ride with no complaints.

Have fun choosing!

We've had nothing but good luck with Ram trucks since 2011, both gas and diesel. Market share speaks for itself, Dodge lagged way behind, Ram has took a good chunk of the market front GM and Ford.
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
IMO depends on what you want to do with it. I have owned pickups all my life. I no longer pull an RV so do not need a diesel or 3/4 ton. I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra last year with the 5.3 motor and love it. 21-22 MPG highway 16-17 intown all day. Rides great. I looked at the Toyota Tundra. Biggest drawback is it only comes with .391 gears and gas milage is 17-18 max on a good day. Good for pulling but how often will you need that. The new Canyon 3 cylinder diesel gets great milage if you are not needing a fullsize.

Amen to all of that. My current 2019 GMC Sierra replaced the '14 Tundra and I'm really liking it so far. Only 16,500 on the GMC, but the tripometer says avg of 18.1 overall.
Posted By: GregW Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Good thread. I'll be truck buying this summer/fall/winter...
I lost my loyalty to American vehicles years ago. I grew up in Chamblee, a small town n. side of Atlanta. Just 3 miles from my high school was the giant GM plant, GM Assembly Plant Doraville. Half the guys at Chamblee had an uncle, or father who worked there. Huge plant probably 5,000 employees. Probably more than that.

I graduated in June of '68 and my buddy Jeff and I got jobs working as brick mason's helpers. We worked ourselves to death in the hot Georgia sun, 10 hours a day hauling brick and mortar. $2.25 an hour and that was great pay!

In July we ran into our buddy from the football team, Ricky H. Ricky's uncle worked at the GM plant and got him a job. He worked night shift, pulling parts for $5.45 an hour plus benefits. Construction workers got no benefits. Plus we didn't work if it was raining. Ricky was earning a pay to support a family. And Ricky was laughing about how easy it was.

Jeff and I ran into Ricky in August and he said he had gotten in trouble at the plant. And I said, "Well no wonder you said you were goofing off."
And Ricky said, "No, I got in trouble for working too hard! The union guy told me, no matter how much pull my uncle had I was going to be out the door if I didn't take it easy. He told me to get up on the second floor about 2 am where the pallets were stored, and take a nap from 2 am until 4 am or my ass was grass."

I knew then, something was rotten in Denmark.
In 1983, I was at a party in central Georgia, one of the guests was a guy from Atlanta named Jeff. He was working as a computer guy at GM Assembly Plant Doraville.
And he told, me the union workers all went out into the parking lot at noon for lunch and drank booze. He said management got fed up with having to pick up all the Budweiser and Jack Daniels bottles in the parking lot, so they put two 55 gallon drums at the entrance, so when the guys came back from lunch drunk they could throw their bottles in the trash. I told Jeff "Bulls***!! No Way that is happening."

Yet Jeff swore it was true. Met Jeff at a party a year later and he told the same story. I came to believe it was true, the union was so strong, it protected drunk workers at lunch.

Fifteen years ago, GM Assembly Plant Doraville closed down. And it got bulldozed. And I believe it was because of this fantastic corruption because of the unions.

So, I lost all affection for American built vehicles and their screwed up corrupt unions. I prefer to buy non union vehicles and I like it that Nissan is a non union shop in Tennessee. Profits go to Japan? Oh well the world is not perfect. Lots of American workers at the Nissan plants in Tennessee are making real good money.
I don't want to support the corrupt and rotten UAW.
Posted By: JD338 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
I love my GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Lots of power, torque and 25 mpg on the highway.

JD338
Originally Posted by JD338
I love my GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Lots of power, torque and 25 mpg on the highway.

JD338

Yep maybe after hitting the reset while going down hill on a 55 mph road and that would still be stretching it. GM Duramax looks good and rides better when the wife takes it grocery shopping, even then she needs to be careful not to overload it. But seeing how most Duramax trucks are short bed girls truck overloading might not be an issue.
If you are up for a road trip from NW Iowa, Lenz Truck in Fond du Lac, WI. has 600 late model used trucks on their lot. If you can't see the difference in a new one and a two year old one, why pay the difference? lenztruck.com Browse on line.
Originally Posted by KFWA

I have a 2013 that I bought new and now has 93000 on it. Check engine light came on about 55K, has something to do with the vent on the gas tank. Other than than, been a great rig. Will likely buy another. FWIW: Wife and I took a little road trip over the weekend and got a bit over 24 mpg.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
It's not a truck but close. After a lot of research my wife decided a Four Runner would best suit her needs. She goes to sewing classes and sews with a group of ladies. Needed something secure so she can lock things up and keep them out of the weather. Main thing about the Four Runner was it is still built on a frame like a truck, not uni-body construction, and has selective four wheel drive when needed out on the ranch. She started looking at older used vehicles. The price kept pushing her toward newer vehicles. Finally purchased a new 2020 for a couple thousand more than they were asking for a 2018 model. Salesman said Toyota, Nissan and Subaru hold their value better than any of the other vehicles. FWIW.
The offset crash test is the most difficult for pick up truck makers to master. Naturally, the Ford F160 did the best of all trucks tested in this important test.

The offset crash test is the most difficult for pick up truck makers to master. Naturally, the Ford F160 did the best of all trucks tested in this important test.

Provided it runs .
Posted By: ribka Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Provided it runs .

Is that pic from another blown turbo?

I refuse to do business with a company like Ford and GM who are in bed with our enemy, China, who trying to destroy the US.
I didn't read all the posts. What is the concensus?
Originally Posted by ribka

Provided it runs .

I refuse to do business with a company like Ford and GM who are in bed with our enemy, China, who trying to destroy the US.

What do you mean "in bed with our enemy China"? All major automakers do business in China, including Toyoda.

Provided it runs .

I think Ford is ok. I wish Toyota would buy them and improve their quality. GM not a phugging chance I would own one.

Provided it runs .

Then by all means tell me, which auto company should we be doing business with???

[Linked Image from dw.com]
Posted By: KFWA Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
I want to know the salesman in the middle east that specializes in White Toyota crew cabs
I think Ford is ok. I wish Toyota would buy them and improve their quality. GM not a phugging chance I would own one.

When you say "Improve their quality", does that mean an F150 will be the same vehicle for the next 14 years, like the Toyoda Tundra?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
You boys got this all sorted out yet?

My question is what kind of guy needs this much help picking out a truck.

Someone needs a man card.

When you say "Improve their quality", does that mean an F150 will be the same vehicle for the next 14 years, like the Toyoda Tundra?

Please explain the benefit exchanging something that works well and does everything you ask of it in favor or something unproven?

Design it properly from the Start, not change it constantly because it was not engineered right the first time. I had a 2016 F150 , Ford bought it back when it turned 6500 on the ODO. I loved the truck not the reliablity.

Please explain the benefit exchanging something that works well and does everything you ask of it in favor or something unproven?

Just to clarify, I assume you ride a horse?

Just to clarify, I assume you ride a horse?

I’m not comparing a horse to a truck. I’m comparing a truck to a truck. Unless you’re now talking about flying cars vs. present day truck?.

Design it properly from the Start, not change it constantly because it was not engineered right the first time. I had a 2016 F150 , Ford bought it back when it turned 6500 on the ODO. I loved the truck not the reliablity.

You forget that Toyoda had the same problems with the Tundra when it came out. Everything from exploding cam shafts to collapsing tailgates plagued the original Tundra. In fact, the problems were so bad that Toyoda CEO little Akio Toyoda cried when he was called on the carpet by congress and said "Tundra brings us shame". So going by what you say, you'd never buy a Tundra because they weren't designed correctly in the first place? Hmmm???

You forget that Toyoda had the same problems with the Tundra when it came out. Everything from exploding cam shafts to collapsing tailgates plagued the original Tundra. In fact, the problems were so bad that Toyoda CEO little Akio Toyoda cried when he was called on the carpet by congress and said "Tundra brings us shame". So going by what you say, you'd never buy a Tundra because they weren't designed correctly in the first place? Hmmm???

I am not discounting your fairy tale, I understand they had some issues with the new Tundra in 2007 but they were quickly resolved. I bought one brand new and only issue was a defective Michelin tire. I bought a brand new 2016 Ford 150 4wd eco boost 3.5 and the vacuum system failed. Hubs trying to engage at highway speeds ?????? You see Ford keeps redesigning the system that engages their hubs. They should have designed it right from the start. The shop was in contact with Ford Engineers for a month and could not figure out what the F was wrong with it. It was a Lemon. Out of all the cars and trucks in my life the only LEMON. Hmmmmm?

I am not discounting your fairy tale, I understand they had some issues with the new Tundra in 2007 but they were quickly resolved. I bought one brand new and only issue was a defective Michelin tire. I bought a brand new 2016 Ford 150 4wd eco boost 3.5 and the vacuum system failed. Hubs trying to engage at highway speeds ?????? You see Ford keeps redesigning the system that engages their hubs. They should have designed it right from the start. The shop was in contact with Ford Engineers for a month and could not figure out what the F was wrong with it. It was a Lemon. Out of all the cars and trucks in my life the only LEMON. Hmmmmm?

My Tundra was a 2008. Drove it for twelve years as previously stated and still got an awesome trade in when I got the the Tacoma last year. Could’ve sold it for even more if I’d wanted to. Or could’ve just kept right on driving the Tundra for another twelve if I didn’t want the Tacoma.

This guy wants it both ways. First he says it’s a bad thing to have the same proven design for too long. Then he makes use in the argument that a first year design was bad.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
I bought a a 2019 Silverado LTZ last fall. Some things I love, others not so much. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but still better than any Toyota I have heard about. The engine transmission combination has to be driven to be believed. Love the 5.3 with 8 speed.

My Tundra was a 2008. Drove it for twelve years as previously stated and still got an awesome trade in when I got the the Tacoma last year. Could’ve sold it for even more if I’d wanted to. Or could’ve just kept right on driving the Tundra for another twelve if I didn’t want the Tacoma.

This guy wants it both ways. First he says it’s a bad thing to have the same proven design for too long. Then he makes use in the argument that a first year design was bad.

Walt is a bit delusional , he is a good guy however. One of the reasons Hondas and Toyotas are stolen so often is that major parts are interchangeable between model years . They design them right the first time because they have pride in their work.
Buy from a real american based company
Posted By: ribka Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
[

Walt you must really hate America. You support the Mexican drug cartels and the Chinese Communist party? I thought you were a patriot

Provided it runs .

Then by all means tell me, which auto company should we be doing business with???

[Linked Image from dw.com]
The american companies have to sell to other countries because our politicians let all the digging foreign companies build plants here. If the Toyota’s and Honda’s were still imports it would be a different game.id much rather support American based companies than the japs or china
I had a 1993 GMC I bought new and had it for ten years before I wrecked it when some Karen stopped short in front of me for no reason. Bought a used 2003 Chev 3/4 HD crew cab and drove it until it had 200K on the odo and decided I was getting too old for the rough ride since I seldom tow any more or carry heavy loads so sold it and bought a 2015 Chev 1/2 ton Crew Cab for the better ride and modern features. Now, all my buddies want to take my truck every time we go somewhere- it has the best ride, nicest leather interior, quietest inside I've ever been in on the highway- much quieter than my wife's car or any car I've been in for quite some time. And I get pretty great gas mileage- 22.5 mpg on the way to a family reunion back in North Dakota a couple years ago going 75-85 most of the way. Great truck so far...

My son just traded off his 2000 Silverado Z71 with just over 300K miles on a brand new 2020 GMC SLE crew cab with all the bells and whistles and I think it is even nicer than my 2015.... slightly better gas mileage and a few options that weren't available on the earlier versions . Talk about a beautiful and comfortable truck to drive. We both like the GMC grilles a lot better this year than the Chev's...

The only thing I don't like about the Chev/GMC trucks is the low stance on the front end that gives them a bit of a rake. However, a $40 leveling kit for the front end and a couple hours to install and it looks much different now. Going to do my son's the same way in a week or two...

I have to say, the after sales service from Chev and GMC have been terrific. I can't imagine how they could possibly improve on the quality of the service I have gotten on the couple small items I've needed a look at and a couple minor recalls that came up. Pretty much in and out the same day and extremely helpful every time I've talked to them about anything...

To be honest, it would be hard to buy a bad truck these days IMO.... But I do think the Tundras are due for a bit of updating...

Bob
Posted By: aalf Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Sheister
The only thing I don't like about the Chev/GMC trucks is the low stance on the front end that gives them a bit of a rake. However, a $40 leveling kit for the front end and a couple hours to install and it looks much different now. Going to do my son's the same way in a week or two...

I added the 1 1/2" leveling kit on my shortbox, leaving about of inch of rake.

Guys bitching about gas mileage; it's a truck for kcufsakes, not a VW Jetta.

Originally Posted by BKinSD
I bought a a 2019 Silverado LTZ last fall. Some things I love, others not so much. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but still better than any Toyota I have heard about. The engine transmission combination has to be driven to be believed. Love the 5.3 with 8 speed.

I bought a new 2020 GMC Sierra Elevation 4x4 at the end of 2019. Looked at the Tundra and it did nothing for me - they are a dime a dozen around here. I've seen them start rusting after about 2-3 years in coastal Alaska.

It is a very sharp looking truck. As BK says, the 5.3 + 8 speed tranny is amazing. I checked the mileage computer. Over the first 3,000 miles it is averaging 17.7 MPG. Try that in a Tundra. The 3k miles includes a very snowy winter. Pretty much all of Jan & Feb were in 4WD mode and lots of warming the rig up.

It's got the BOSE sound system too. Oh yeah, I like to rock on my commute! While you can get a BOSE sound system on the Tundra, only the very high end models have them.

Bodies are the first thing to give out on trucks around here - right around 10 years. Dodges are the worst rust buckets.

Hope the OP can finally make a decision with all the uber advice given here . . . .
Posted By: Dutch Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
The market has long decided which pickup is best by determining the resale value. For five year depreciation, the top four are Tacoma (32%), Tundra, Ridgeline (ha!) and Frontier.

Bottom is the Titan and Ford (49%).

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/pickup-trucks-ranked-by-resale-value/#slide-2187308
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Guys bitching about gas mileage; it's a truck for kcufsakes, not a VW Jetta.

Ive seen a lot of guys post that before on a lot of different boards. But my question to you would be, at what point should we say enough is enough? What if you only got 1 mpg? 2 or 3?

If the mpg difference between one truck and the other isn’t that great but the performance was, I’d agree. But if the performance needed is similar, and one has substantially improved mileage, I’d say it is a reasonable consideration.

Edited to add that some people drive the schit out of their truck so the MPG cost adds up...
Originally Posted by Dutch
The market has long decided which pickup is best by determining the resale value. For five year depreciation, the top four are Tacoma (32%), Tundra, Ridgeline (ha!) and Frontier.

Bottom is the Titan and Ford (49%).

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/pickup-trucks-ranked-by-resale-value/#slide-2187308

True. But : Hillary and Fauxvid 19

Just like guns, highest resale always determines what's "best". Custom guns are always the "worst" cuz you'll only get 50 cents on the dollar when it comes time to sell . . .
Posted By: BWalker Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20

Not constantly having to improve a vehicle to keep the suckers in line is hardly an advantage.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Just like guns, highest resale always determines what's "best". Custom guns are always the "worst" cuz you'll only get 50 cents on the dollar when it comes time to sell . . .

Those are what the dumbasses want to say is best.
Posted By: BWalker Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by BWalker
BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.

NAILED IT !!!
[quote=BWalker]BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.[/quote

Actually no, You can not by Toyota stock, at least not here in the U.S.
Originally Posted by MAC

Do some looking.

Price it.

Hit that on the head, best case scenario is to wait till Sept / Oct when the new ones are out and they discount last years to clean them out doing that got me 25.4% off list, instant equity.1 year old used trucks NADA FOR MORE THAN YOU CAN buy a 1 year old new one with full warrantee. MB
Posted By: duck911 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Hit that on the head, best case scenario is to wait till Sept / Oct when the new ones are out and they discount last years to clean them out doing that got me 25.4% off list, instant equity.1 year old used trucks NADA FOR MORE THAN YOU CAN buy a 1 year old new one with full warrantee. MB

This. My last 4 Toyota's were all new purchases. Each time I shopped used first, but for basically the same price, I got into a brand new ride.

I bought my 2020 Tundra the day after a hail storm went through Ft Collins, Co. 2 slight dings on the roof (which no one will ever see) so they knocked $1,500 off. I got 60 month 0% APR deal and got another $1,500 rebate they were running at the time. We also negotiated in the 7 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for $499.

That truck was cheaper then _every single_ used Tundra they had on the lot.
I know it's considered financially stupid to buy a new truck but my last three have been new. I just drive my current truck until about 8-10k in rebates come out and grab one for just a little more than a one year old vehicle would cost. For me, it's worth knowing exactly how the truck has been maintained from day one. But I've had friends who swear by getting one that's about two years old and have had excellent luck doing that.
139 replies, pretty good. I started this thread as a joke because someone mentioned we needed another one of these. My pickup has 7300 miles on it. A lot of Tundra lovers here, too bad they don't pencil out.
Posted By: rem141r Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/20/20
get a stihl
What's the concensus?

Is everyone still just buying the same brand they always bought or has someone been convinced that they need to switch?

I think we all know the answer.
Posted By: Redneck Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What's the concensus?

Is everyone still just buying the same brand they always bought or has someone been convinced that they need to switch?

I tried a different truck once - and once was quite enough.. It was a GMC.... I tried - really tried - to like that truck, but after six months it was history.. I'm one of those who go by the adage, "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"... I bought my very first new truck - a Ford F-250 in '73.. Other than that pos GMC I've driven Fords ever since and have been happy with 'em..

But that's just me... smile smile
Posted By: Dutch Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/20/20
What's the concensus?

I've in the last 10 years I've owned Dodge, Ford, GMC, Toyota, Chevy, International and Kenworth.

The one I like best is the one I get a DEAL on. I bought a GMC from a towing company for $1,000 and put 30,000 miles on it. That was good. Ran a Tacoma for 150,000 miles for just over $5,000. That was a deal.

Had to put a rebuilt engine in a GMC Sonoma at 135,000 miles, but then she ran for another 200K (sold it to one of my drivers, still running). That wasn't awful, in the end.

Anymore, though, these asphalt queens with their 17 speaker stereos, 23" infotainment center, 14 gear auto, 19 way adjustable seat pansy haulers have way too many failure points to ever be able to run economically.
[quote=BWalker]BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.[/quote

actually you are wrong, the symbol is tm. granted it is a a.d.r. or american depository receipt the way many foreign stocks are traded.
Posted By: walt501 Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

actually you are wrong, the symbol is tm. granted it is a a.d.r. or american depository receipt the way many foreign stocks are traded.

Correct. And Yota is traded that way so they don't have to report on their operations to U.S. regulators.
[quote=TimberRunner]What's the concensus?

Anymore, though, these asphalt queens with their 17 speaker stereos, 23" infotainment center, 14 gear auto, 19 way adjustable seat pansy haulers have way too many failure points to ever be able to run economically.

You'd be wrong about that. We put over 200k multiple times on 1/2T Chevy, Ford, and GMC, including the last 3 Z71's we owned.
Posted By: BWalker Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/20/20

Correct. And Yota is traded that way so they don't have to report on their operations to U.S. regulators.

Why should a foreign company have to report to US regulators?
And of course you were FOS on the stock comment.
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Sheister

I added the 1 1/2" leveling kit on my shortbox, leaving about of inch of rake.

That's the exact lift kit my son is looking at. 1 1/2" lift in front should be just about perfect on his truck... I bought the 2" lift blocks kit for my truck, but when I went to install it, the mounting bolts for the bearing carrier were in the way and I had to machine about 3/4" off the block to make them fit. Once I got them in place and installed, I still gained 2" in lift.... weird deal....

The cut throat competition in the truck market has been a huge boon for truck buyers. Every manufacturer has had to up their game substantially the last few years to keep pace and the result has been some really outstanding offerings in the truck segment, IMO.

Bob
Posted By: Dess Re: I need a new pickup truck. - 05/20/20

I have some Toyota stock. It's TOYOF. Bought it through my 401k on Schwab. Right now it's around 60 buck a share.

Also have 7-11 stock. It's Japanese too. SVNDY 16 bucks a share.

[Linked Image]

Poodle?

We had a golden doodle for 10 years that died last fall. She was an awesome dog. Very nice dog and great with the kids. We got a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon a few months ago and she is a demon compared to the golden doodle. Completely different personalities in every way. We miss our Pooh retriever and hope our new pup grows out of her demon stage.

Bb
Originally Posted by Redneck
What's the concensus?

I tried a different truck once - and once was quite enough.. It was a GMC.... I tried - really tried - to like that truck, but after six months it was history.. I'm one of those who go by the adage, "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"... I bought my very first new truck - a Ford F-250 in '73.. Other than that pos GMC I've driven Fords ever since and have been happy with 'em..

But that's just me... smile smile

My Ford is running up there. Knocking on 225K. Maybe I'll be adventurous and try a GMC next. But for how often I buy a truck, I'll probably die before I get another one. Better make my choice carefully.
© 24hourcampfire