Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by walt501
I think Ford is ok. I wish Toyota would buy them and improve their quality. GM not a phugging chance I would own one.

When you say "Improve their quality", does that mean an F150 will be the same vehicle for the next 14 years, like the Toyoda Tundra?

Design it properly from the Start, not change it constantly because it was not engineered right the first time. I had a 2016 F150 , Ford bought it back when it turned 6500 on the ODO. I loved the truck not the reliablity.

You forget that Toyoda had the same problems with the Tundra when it came out. Everything from exploding cam shafts to collapsing tailgates plagued the original Tundra. In fact, the problems were so bad that Toyoda CEO little Akio Toyoda cried when he was called on the carpet by congress and said "Tundra brings us shame". So going by what you say, you'd never buy a Tundra because they weren't designed correctly in the first place? Hmmm???

I am not discounting your fairy tale, I understand they had some issues with the new Tundra in 2007 but they were quickly resolved. I bought one brand new and only issue was a defective Michelin tire. I bought a brand new 2016 Ford 150 4wd eco boost 3.5 and the vacuum system failed. Hubs trying to engage at highway speeds ?????? You see Ford keeps redesigning the system that engages their hubs. They should have designed it right from the start. The shop was in contact with Ford Engineers for a month and could not figure out what the F was wrong with it. It was a Lemon. Out of all the cars and trucks in my life the only LEMON. Hmmmmm?

My Tundra was a 2008. Drove it for twelve years as previously stated and still got an awesome trade in when I got the the Tacoma last year. Could’ve sold it for even more if I’d wanted to. Or could’ve just kept right on driving the Tundra for another twelve if I didn’t want the Tacoma.

This guy wants it both ways. First he says it’s a bad thing to have the same proven design for too long. Then he makes use in the argument that a first year design was bad.

Walt is a bit delusional , he is a good guy however. One of the reasons Hondas and Toyotas are stolen so often is that major parts are interchangeable between model years . They design them right the first time because they have pride in their work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy from a real american based company

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[

Walt you must really hate America. You support the Mexican drug cartels and the Chinese Communist party? I thought you were a patriot

Originally Posted by ribka
The offset crash test is the most difficult for pick up truck makers to master. Naturally, the Ford F160 did the best of all trucks tested in this important test.

Provided it runs .

Is that pic from another blown turbo?

I refuse to do business with a company like Ford and GM who are in bed with our enemy, China, who trying to destroy the US.

Then by all means tell me, which auto company should we be doing business with???

[Linked Image from dw.com]

Last edited by ribka; 05/19/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The american companies have to sell to other countries because our politicians let all the digging foreign companies build plants here. If the Toyota’s and Honda’s were still imports it would be a different game.id much rather support American based companies than the japs or china

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 1993 GMC I bought new and had it for ten years before I wrecked it when some Karen stopped short in front of me for no reason. Bought a used 2003 Chev 3/4 HD crew cab and drove it until it had 200K on the odo and decided I was getting too old for the rough ride since I seldom tow any more or carry heavy loads so sold it and bought a 2015 Chev 1/2 ton Crew Cab for the better ride and modern features. Now, all my buddies want to take my truck every time we go somewhere- it has the best ride, nicest leather interior, quietest inside I've ever been in on the highway- much quieter than my wife's car or any car I've been in for quite some time. And I get pretty great gas mileage- 22.5 mpg on the way to a family reunion back in North Dakota a couple years ago going 75-85 most of the way. Great truck so far...

My son just traded off his 2000 Silverado Z71 with just over 300K miles on a brand new 2020 GMC SLE crew cab with all the bells and whistles and I think it is even nicer than my 2015.... slightly better gas mileage and a few options that weren't available on the earlier versions . Talk about a beautiful and comfortable truck to drive. We both like the GMC grilles a lot better this year than the Chev's...

The only thing I don't like about the Chev/GMC trucks is the low stance on the front end that gives them a bit of a rake. However, a $40 leveling kit for the front end and a couple hours to install and it looks much different now. Going to do my son's the same way in a week or two...

I have to say, the after sales service from Chev and GMC have been terrific. I can't imagine how they could possibly improve on the quality of the service I have gotten on the couple small items I've needed a look at and a couple minor recalls that came up. Pretty much in and out the same day and extremely helpful every time I've talked to them about anything...

To be honest, it would be hard to buy a bad truck these days IMO.... But I do think the Tundras are due for a bit of updating...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 05/19/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
The only thing I don't like about the Chev/GMC trucks is the low stance on the front end that gives them a bit of a rake. However, a $40 leveling kit for the front end and a couple hours to install and it looks much different now. Going to do my son's the same way in a week or two...

I added the 1 1/2" leveling kit on my shortbox, leaving about of inch of rake.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Guys bitching about gas mileage; it's a truck for kcufsakes, not a VW Jetta.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BKinSD
I bought a a 2019 Silverado LTZ last fall. Some things I love, others not so much. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but still better than any Toyota I have heard about. The engine transmission combination has to be driven to be believed. Love the 5.3 with 8 speed.

I bought a new 2020 GMC Sierra Elevation 4x4 at the end of 2019. Looked at the Tundra and it did nothing for me - they are a dime a dozen around here. I've seen them start rusting after about 2-3 years in coastal Alaska.

It is a very sharp looking truck. As BK says, the 5.3 + 8 speed tranny is amazing. I checked the mileage computer. Over the first 3,000 miles it is averaging 17.7 MPG. Try that in a Tundra. The 3k miles includes a very snowy winter. Pretty much all of Jan & Feb were in 4WD mode and lots of warming the rig up.

It's got the BOSE sound system too. Oh yeah, I like to rock on my commute! While you can get a BOSE sound system on the Tundra, only the very high end models have them.

Bodies are the first thing to give out on trucks around here - right around 10 years. Dodges are the worst rust buckets.

Hope the OP can finally make a decision with all the uber advice given here . . . .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The market has long decided which pickup is best by determining the resale value. For five year depreciation, the top four are Tacoma (32%), Tundra, Ridgeline (ha!) and Frontier.

Bottom is the Titan and Ford (49%).

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/pickup-trucks-ranked-by-resale-value/#slide-2187308

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Guys bitching about gas mileage; it's a truck for kcufsakes, not a VW Jetta.

Ive seen a lot of guys post that before on a lot of different boards. But my question to you would be, at what point should we say enough is enough? What if you only got 1 mpg? 2 or 3?

If the mpg difference between one truck and the other isn’t that great but the performance was, I’d agree. But if the performance needed is similar, and one has substantially improved mileage, I’d say it is a reasonable consideration.

Edited to add that some people drive the schit out of their truck so the MPG cost adds up...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/19/20.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
The market has long decided which pickup is best by determining the resale value. For five year depreciation, the top four are Tacoma (32%), Tundra, Ridgeline (ha!) and Frontier.

Bottom is the Titan and Ford (49%).

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/pickup-trucks-ranked-by-resale-value/#slide-2187308

True. But : Hillary and Fauxvid 19

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just like guns, highest resale always determines what's "best". Custom guns are always the "worst" cuz you'll only get 50 cents on the dollar when it comes time to sell . . .

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think Ford is ok. I wish Toyota would buy them and improve their quality. GM not a phugging chance I would own one.

When you say "Improve their quality", does that mean an F150 will be the same vehicle for the next 14 years, like the Toyoda Tundra?

Not constantly having to improve a vehicle to keep the suckers in line is hardly an advantage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Just like guns, highest resale always determines what's "best". Custom guns are always the "worst" cuz you'll only get 50 cents on the dollar when it comes time to sell . . .

Those are what the dumbasses want to say is best.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.

NAILED IT !!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=BWalker]BTW anyone can buy Toyota stock. So to say all the profits are going back to Japan is ridiculous.[/quote

Actually no, You can not by Toyota stock, at least not here in the U.S.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by MAC
Don't buy new. Buy one a year or two old and get the depreciation value out of the way. Every vehicle on the road is a used vehicle and so will a new one be as soon as the tires hit the pavement outside the lot. At that moment you just lost 25% of the value. Haven't bought new in decades for this very reason. You can get used with full warranties and save the 25% which on the price of new trucks is significant.

That used to be true, but recent years, it's just not anymore.

Do some looking.

A pickup...say an F150 Supercrew 4x4... say 2 years old an 20k miles on it.

Price it.

Then after dealer/factory incentives, price a brand new one.

The used one will be within perhaps a couple or three thousand dollars. And have less, or no warranty.

Clean, used, low mileage pickups bring a premium. If you can find one... It won't be significantly less than a new one, in my experience.

Hit that on the head, best case scenario is to wait till Sept / Oct when the new ones are out and they discount last years to clean them out doing that got me 25.4% off list, instant equity.1 year old used trucks NADA FOR MORE THAN YOU CAN buy a 1 year old new one with full warrantee. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Hit that on the head, best case scenario is to wait till Sept / Oct when the new ones are out and they discount last years to clean them out doing that got me 25.4% off list, instant equity.1 year old used trucks NADA FOR MORE THAN YOU CAN buy a 1 year old new one with full warrantee. MB

This. My last 4 Toyota's were all new purchases. Each time I shopped used first, but for basically the same price, I got into a brand new ride.

I bought my 2020 Tundra the day after a hail storm went through Ft Collins, Co. 2 slight dings on the roof (which no one will ever see) so they knocked $1,500 off. I got 60 month 0% APR deal and got another $1,500 rebate they were running at the time. We also negotiated in the 7 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for $499.

That truck was cheaper then _every single_ used Tundra they had on the lot.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it's considered financially stupid to buy a new truck but my last three have been new. I just drive my current truck until about 8-10k in rebates come out and grab one for just a little more than a one year old vehicle would cost. For me, it's worth knowing exactly how the truck has been maintained from day one. But I've had friends who swear by getting one that's about two years old and have had excellent luck doing that.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,225
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.