Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I agree with you. I would want this rifle to be a repeater too.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by Flyer01
L-R

222 1-12" twist Benchmark barrel , Mcmillian Stock Sako AI action

6x45 1-8" twist Benchmark barrel Banser Stock Sako AI action

6x45 1-12" twist Shilen barrel Custom Sako L461 Action

[img]https://i.imgur.com/uZbKnO4.jpg?1[/img]

Both 6x45 shoot really well with 58gr and 85gr bullets

F

Nice rifles! Did you have any problems with magazine length on your Sako rifles?

No problems, but there isn't any surplus room with the heavier bullets. 80-85 gr is the heaviest I'll shot with the 6x45 any heavier velocity drops.

I also have a 6x47 on a Remington action, it has more magazine length but is twisted 1-12 so longer 6mm bullets don't shot as well.
It's the one on the left, it has a 20"custom barrel that's been rebored and rechambered with a gain twist by Ron Smith a southern Alberta gunsmith.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about just a boring Off the shelf 6.5 grendel

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L-R

F

Nice rifles! Did you have any problems with magazine length on your Sako rifles?

No problems, but there isn't any surplus room with the heavier bullets. 80-85 gr is the heaviest I'll shot with the 6x45 any heavier velocity drops.

I also have a 6x47 on a Remington action, it has more magazine length but is twisted 1-12 so longer 6mm bullets don't shot as well.
It's the one on the left, it has a 20"custom barrel that's been rebored and rechambered with a gain twist by Ron Smith a southern Alberta gunsmith.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I always liked the looks of the Remington 600 and 660's.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

I have considered it and won't rule it out, yet. I also have thoughts of getting a worn out sporter 22-250 and making it into a 250 Savage. I will have to wait and see what deal materializes for me.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Dre

I have considered it and won't rule it out, yet. I also have thoughts of getting a worn out sporter 22-250 and making it into a 250 Savage. I will have to wait and see what deal materializes for me.

I have a 6-250 that’s SWEET. Might keep that in mind as an option too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there's a couple new savage actions for sale for $280 on another site already with the 223 bolt head.

grab that, a prefit barrel for $300 and a nice stock and $700-800 is within reach.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Dre

I have a 6-250 that’s SWEET. Might keep that in mind as an option too.

Is that a straight neck down from the 250 Savage or neck up from the 22-250? I remember years ago reading about the 6mm International, not that one is it?

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CJC73
there's a couple new savage actions for sale for $280 on another site already with the 223 bolt head.

grab that, a prefit barrel for $300 and a nice stock and $700-800 is within reach.

Which site?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How bad do you want one, as I could probably be talked out of this rifle.

Savage 10, Accustock, DBM
PT&G .187" recoil lug
Stockade tatical bolt handle and lift kit
6X45 chambered X-Caliber stainless steel 1:7 Twist 5R barrel #3 contour 24"
Prairie Ghost Camo Accustock
Coyote Tan Cerakote on barreled action and Action work done by Steve Field, Roberta GA
Twisted barrel fluting on barrel and bolt
EGW 20 MOA rail

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Sorry for some of the crappy pictures but they're all I have on my computer. Definitely not my cheapest Savage build, but they usually cost you more than you think you're going to spend. I'm just going a different direction since I got my suppressors and this barrel is too long and I don't want to cut it down to thread. Probably wouldn't be as cheap as the one you want to build, but I'm also fairly motivated.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taylorce1
How bad do you want one, as I could probably be talked out of this rifle.

Savage 10, Accustock, DBM
PT&G .187" recoil lug
Stockade tatical bolt handle and lift kit
6X45 chambered X-Caliber stainless steel 1:7 Twist 5R barrel #3 contour 24"
Prairie Ghost Camo Accustock
Coyote Tan Cerakote on barreled action and Action work done by Steve Field, Roberta GA
Twisted barrel fluting on barrel and bolt
EGW 20 MOA rail

Sorry for some of the crappy pictures but they're all I have on my computer. Definitely not my cheapest Savage build, but they usually cost you more than you think you're going to spend. I'm just going a different direction since I got my suppressors and this barrel is too long and I don't want to cut it down to thread. Probably wouldn't be as cheap as the one you want to build, but I'm also fairly motivated.

Nice rifle. I would not be close to what you have in it. If I go with a Savage, I am hoping to find one of the old 110's with the staggered feed magazine, fully adjustable trigger, and monte carlo hardwood stock. Years ago I had one in 7mm 08 Remington and I killed a bunch of deer with it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Nice rifle. I would not be close to what you have in it. If I go with a Savage, I am hoping to find one of the old 110's with the staggered feed magazine, fully adjustable trigger, and monte carlo hardwood stock. Years ago I had one in 7mm 08 Remington and I killed a bunch of deer with it.

I never thought I'd get close to what I have in it when I offered it. You never do when you put money into a Savage and a no-name gunsmith. However, I've kind of lost interest in this rifle and would like to move on to something different. I can understand though where you're going.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
L-R

F

Sweet trio of vixens! I like the 600s too!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
How good 77gr tmk are on game, it’s be hard pressed to not build a 6x45 based around a 95gr tmk.

Then again about 27.5 grains of 4198 and 108 eld-ms at 2600 from a 21” barrel will result in fist sized groups at 500 and hold single digit sd in mass produce load powder measure dropped.

9 twist 250$ ruger Americans will stabilize 28 grains of 4198 and 105’s at sea level and 30 degree temps.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I built a 6X45 AR with a Black Hole Weaponry barrel a few years ago. With the now-discontinued Sierra 80 grain Single Shot Pistol bullets (I lucked into 500 of them), I am getting right around 2700 fps and superb accuracy (20" barrel). It has accounted for three whitetails and a few coyotes.

I picked up a Remington .223 for basically nothing a while back and considered doing exactly what you are are planning, OP, but I decided on building a 7TCU instead. I made that decision so that I could shoot the excellent Nosler 120 grain BTs. With a 20" barrel, I should be able to get close to 2600 fps. I did have to modify the mag box to fit the longer cartridge and I may have to do a bit of feel lip modification due to the "blown-out" body taper on the TCU, but I think it will be worth it. I am getting a Wilson barrel (#4) for it. Cut to length, chambered, fluted and threaded it was less than $500 from Ragged Hole Barrels. Considering I only paid $90 for the donor, even with a great stock, I am going to be into it for less than $1000 when all is said and done.

Oh, another tip on gauges, you can rent them from remearrentals.com for $7, plus shipping. https://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6x45%2Eg

G
G
I just saw the question about why I used the Howa for my build, well simple answer is i had one. It has been a good rifle, accurate and easy to load for although a little heavy. I love my 6PPC's so originally the plan was to buy a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel, due to the bolt face, and than rebarrel that to a 6PPC. Well what happened was that since I do a lot of deer hunting, and use three other 6.5's of various types, I thought I would at least play with the Grendel before re-barreling. What I found however was a neat little rifle, that has been very accurate right out of the box with factory loads and way less than 1 MOA with some thrown together loads. So that's where the Howa in 6x45 came in, take a rilfe and caliber I rarely use and just change the barrel with a prefit to a more usable cartridge 6mm cartridge without any bolt face mods. Also I have a grandson coming up and think this might be a great starter rifle.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I built a 6X45 AR with a Black Hole Weaponry barrel a few years ago. With the now-discontinued Sierra 80 grain Single Shot Pistol bullets (I lucked into 500 of them), I am getting right around 2700 fps and superb accuracy (20" barrel). It has accounted for three whitetails and a few coyotes.

I picked up a Remington .223 for basically nothing a while back and considered doing exactly what you are are planning, OP, but I decided on building a 7TCU instead. I made that decision so that I could shoot the excellent Nosler 120 grain BTs. With a 20" barrel, I should be able to get close to 2600 fps. I did have to modify the mag box to fit the longer cartridge and I may have to do a bit of feel lip modification due to the "blown-out" body taper on the TCU, but I think it will be worth it. I am getting a Wilson barrel (#4) for it. Cut to length, chambered, fluted and threaded it was less than $500 from Ragged Hole Barrels. Considering I only paid $90 for the donor, even with a great stock, I am going to be into it for less than $1000 when all is said and done.

Oh, another tip on gauges, you can rent them from remearrentals.com for $7, plus shipping. https://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6x45%2Eg

Thanks for the tip on the gauges. The 7mm TCU sounds like a fun project. Please post your results when you get it done.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gacamp
I just saw the question about why I used the Howa for my build, well simple answer is i had one. It has been a good rifle, accurate and easy to load for although a little heavy. I love my 6PPC's so originally the plan was to buy a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel, due to the bolt face, and than rebarrel that to a 6PPC. Well what happened was that since I do a lot of deer hunting, and use three other 6.5's of various types, I thought I would at least play with the Grendel before re-barreling. What I found however was a neat little rifle, that has been very accurate right out of the box with factory loads and way less than 1 MOA with some thrown together loads. So that's where the Howa in 6x45 came in, take a rilfe and caliber I rarely use and just change the barrel with a prefit to a more usable cartridge 6mm cartridge without any bolt face mods. Also I have a grandson coming up and think this might be a great starter rifle.

I totally understand. Some of my interest in a small cartridge is my son is 4 and I hope he wants to shoot and hunt like me. I could had have something mild and fun for him to shoot when he gets older.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (160user, 69sportfury, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 13 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.