Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Sevens Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone else know why the more recent "EDGE" fill stocks coming from McMillan aren't so light as they once were? I remember when they came out and weight quoted was around 22-24 ounces (it's even quoted in the "Fill Weights" thread in this forum). I have an edge stock from a few years back that is 23 ounces. The most recent EDGE stock I got weighed in at 28 ounces. Not heavy, but not really light either! It's a bit disappointing to see the EDGE fill is trending up in weight versus down as they've got a lot of options for the non-Remington 700/Clone based actions at a decent price compared to other options. They're also incredibly easy for the average guy to fit their action to compared to the Bansner, MPI, and Pound'r options; glass bed and go shooting essentially.

More of a rant, but sure wish McMillan would work on innovation and come out with Kevlar Super-EDGE that could compete in the ultralight category (<22 oz. including the pad). Or at least get their EDGE stocks on a diet and back to the original 22-24 oz. when they originally came out.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine have been pretty consistent at 24-25oz irrespective of barrel and action in letting. But it’s been a couple of years

I’m waiting on an ultra classic from manners right now which I’m hoping will finish under 20oz.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Amen, it’d be nice if they were going down in weight versus going up. I like McM a lot but it’s getting harder to pay for the EDGE action.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
does 5 oz bother you?

S
Sevens Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Hubert
does 5 oz bother you?

When building a lightweight rifle where you're measuring the weight of everything, yes, 5 ounces bothers me a lot.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sevens
does 5 oz bother you?

When building a lightweight rifle where you're measuring the weight of everything, yes, 5 ounces bothers me a lot.

Same here. When figuring it all up 5 ounces here and there doesn’t take much to turn into 8-9 pounds.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Especially when you pay $650 plus

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
does 5 oz bother you?

Most diffidently

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
does 5 oz bother you?

5 oz's isn't a big deal on an 8.5 lb all up rifle. On at 6.5 lb all up rifle it is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting this has come up again. Seems I've seen this posted recently about several of their Edge stocks. I'm currently collecting parts for a lighter weight build and was thinking of just going with another Classic Edge, but if it came in weighing 28 ozs I'm not sure I would be all that happy. I am also trying to get to a target weight - so 5 ozs does matter.

Now that Manners and Proof can build 20 oz stocks you would think McMillan could also do that??

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 05/21/20.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Interesting this has come up again. Seems I've seen this posted recently about several of their Edge stocks. I'm currently collecting parts for a lighter weight build and was thinking of just going with another Classic Edge, but if it came in weighing 28 ozs I'm not sure I would be all that happy. I am also trying to get to a target weight - so 5 ozs does matter.

Now that Manners and Proof can build 20 oz stocks you would think McMillan could also do that??

Do the newer, slightly heavier Edge stocks have beefed up carbon shells, or has the fill itself been changed?

We’re paying a premium for Edge.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Do the newer, slightly heavier Edge stocks have beefed up carbon shells, or has the fill itself been changed?

DF

Not exactly sure DF, but they are beefy compared to what they were a few years back. I have a Echols Shrike that is an EDGE shell that weighs in at 23 ounces right now, unfinished. It's not going to get lighter....

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
does 5 oz bother you?

When you are paying extra for that ,Yes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

DF

I ordered a Sako 75 Hunter stock Edge and it weighed 29 ounces. It was for a 7mm Rem Mag.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone else know why the more recent "EDGE" fill stocks coming from McMillan aren't so light as they once were? I remember when they came out and weight quoted was around 22-24 ounces (it's even quoted in the "Fill Weights" thread in this forum). I have an edge stock from a few years back that is 23 ounces. The most recent EDGE stock I got weighed in at 28 ounces. Not heavy, but not really light either! It's a bit disappointing to see the EDGE fill is trending up in weight versus down as they've got a lot of options for the non-Remington 700/Clone based actions at a decent price compared to other options. They're also incredibly easy for the average guy to fit their action to compared to the Bansner, MPI, and Pound'r options; glass bed and go shooting essentially.

More of a rant, but sure wish McMillan would work on innovation and come out with Kevlar Super-EDGE that could compete in the ultralight category (<22 oz. including the pad). Or at least get their EDGE stocks on a diet and back to the original 22-24 oz. when they originally came out.

Is there a specific manufacturing claim that McMillan is not meeting?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Anyone know if the standard stocks are weighing in a little more too? Just curious if all the stocks are a little heavier or just the edge fill?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smallfry

Don't know if they've actually claimed to be competitive in the light weight stock market.

But, if they want to play, it may be smart to actually be competitive.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry

Don't know if they've actually claimed to be competitive in the light weight stock market.

But, if they want to play, it may be smart to actually be competitive.

DF

I wasn’t asking if they wanted to play, I was asking if McMillan was not meeting a specific manufacturing claim. For example, if they claimed ALL stocks would fall between a specific weight. Just curious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
McMillan has been at the trough too damn long..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I wonder if McMillan has beefed up the Edge stock a bit to avoid liability due to buyers stocking rifles with recoil levels above their recommended .300 Win Mag.

I'm guilty myself, having a .338 Win and a .300 RUM in Edge fill stocks.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.