Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
COOL Jim - bet you'll love it !!!

DO NOT BREAK IT IN LIKE YAMAHA SAYS TO DO ! ! !
Unless you want it carbed up and slow .

This is a proven technique and i've researched it in depth .

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yamaha wants you to super pamper it for financial reasons . Don't putt around on it that just slows the time of an important step of getting the rings seated fast .

Run it up 3/4 throttle - don't lug the engine low RPM in too high a gear - run it through the gears downshifting at high RPM --- trust this info. ...

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/22/20.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Gotta go get a hitch receiver installed before I can carry it anywhere so that'll be next week but will take the long weekend and ride some dirt close to town.

You have a trailer or are you using a carrier that inserts into the hitch receiver?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Today is the day to run it hard .....

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool. I hope you post some trip photos once you get it!

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
The seller just delivered my Suzuki DR200S, it's as sweet as he listed it on CL to be, just put 20 miles on it...

[Linked Image from cdp.azureedge.net]

Nice looking bike.

Will a 200cc get my 200 lbs to 70 mph for short distances on the highway?

Dave

IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't hold back Mike, how do you really feel? laugh

Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by RDW
I rarely see the Suzuki RV90 mentioned here.

My first bike was a Yamaha JT60 when I was 6 and sometime after my Dad brought home an RV90. I was so short he took the seat off so I could ride it but that bit my ass hard so I asked him to put the seat back on it and learned at first to do the midget dismount and later to tripod.

It was fun and climbed like a mule.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Glad you had fun on it - but those old rotary valve suzuki's wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats pissy . LAME in the HP dept. .
Had a suzuki TM 75 - what a POS I could outrun that turd on a bicycle .

Did scar my left calf for life with it though , clutch ball broke off the end of the lever - put it completely through my left calf and barely out the other side . Just noticed it this morning while drinking coffee and remembered that.

If it doesn't have Reed Valve - steer clear and the rotary valve doesn't help fuel economy at all = lame - yeah .

Dave

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Gotta go get a hitch receiver installed before I can carry it anywhere so that'll be next week but will take the long weekend and ride some dirt close to town.

You have a trailer or are you using a carrier that inserts into the hitch receiver?

Pay attention! LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will answer all so as not to inflate my post count. wink

That cargo rack is made locally and is probably 5 times stronger than I'll ever need but it bolts directly to the frame using existing holes and you can literally pick up the bike by grabbing the bars. They make an accessory pannier mount for a 1 or 1.8 gal. auxiliary gas can but with a range of about 145 miles I'm not sure it would ever need that even for an all day trip in the hills. Maybe get one of those 1L fuel cans that look like a metal water bottle for just in case.

Going to get a receiver hitch carrier that will mount on the back of the car and carry the bike sideways. That was one of the big deciding factors in getting this instead of an ATV, the ATV would be more stable obviously but would require a trailer. My garage space is limited so a hitch carrier is the way to go. I called the local Honda dealership, spoke to the service manager and gave him the total weights of the bike and carrier to make sure the car would be okay. He figured as long as I didn't try to gun it uphill or carry too much extra cargo it'd be fine.

Definitely going to get some pics. A camera, binoculars, water, lunch and a map with an X marked someplace I've never been will make for a good day. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks fun, hope vou enjoy it. Cant wait for the vid vof tricks, barhops, cliffhanger flips, backflips.... Youll be freestyling before you know it

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by fester
The small bikes are now calling to me after riding a xr650l on some serious track in Washington and
San Diego,,,,,,
Nice purchase.
I have a friend that ripped a dr650... good bike.

Again, 👍🏻

When dual-sport 650's are mentioned do they mean 650cc or 650 lbs . smile

Right!

I dumped my xr650l and (after hospital visit) tore my ac joint in my shoulder.
I had to pick the da mn thing up with one arm.... ride with one arm
What a trip.....

Yeah it’s heavy....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
The seller just delivered my Suzuki DR200S, it's as sweet as he listed it on CL to be, just put 20 miles on it...

[Linked Image from cdp.azureedge.net]

Nice looking bike.

Will a 200cc get my 200 lbs to 70 mph for short distances on the highway?

I've had it up to 65 but I am well under 200lbs.
I'd suppose it might get there, didn't take anytime to jump up to 65 with me on it.
I'm not tagged yet so my street runs have been short but sweet, Just toolin around some back roads nearby for now.
I gotta go to DMV when I get the title to the RV I just bought from Bank of America, it should show early next week.
Just don't wanna make two trips so I'll wait til I have both in hand...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going to get a receiver hitch carrier that will mount on the back of the car and carry the bike sideways.

Just curious of which carrier you plan to use?

I've gone from a 4500.00 hydraulic unit to this one, still undecided.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

The bike is so lite I am having a hard time popping for the hydraulic unit but want it to be simple to load and unload for one guy...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
clic pic for link to Triumph Scrambler
[Linked Image from images.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Still looking but whatever it is has to be light. With a max tongue weight of 350 pounds and a bike that weighs 278 that doesn't leave much room. Have just begun looking but the first one that popped up on Amazon was this Black Widow 400 lb carrier that weighs 38 lbs. It comes with a 6 foot ramp which combined with the low mount on a small SUV should make an easy slope to push the bike up.

[Linked Image from discountramps.com]

Still time to look and order. Getting a receiver bolted on next Friday so wouldn't be able to use it until then anyway.

Chilly 55 degrees out this afternoon but I put 6 miles on it to break it in. Full throttle in first, full in second, screaming in 3rd and by that time I was going 35 mph... wink Sucker has a right growly little roar to it, like a small dog with a big attitude. Brakes are "adequate", certainly not great but I guess that will help on dirt where you don't want to lock up the wheels too easily. Very different handling than the FZ 07, much lighter and quicker steering, but at low speeds it's a lot easier to keep stable and make very slow speed turns. Just feels like fun, mostly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still looking but whatever it is has to be light. With a max tongue weight of 350 pounds and a bike that weighs 278 that doesn't leave much room. Have just begun looking but the first one that popped up on Amazon was this Black Widow 400 lb carrier that weighs 38 lbs. It comes with a 6 foot ramp which combined with the low mount on a small SUV should make an easy slope to push the bike up.

[Linked Image from discountramps.com]

Still time to look and order. Getting a receiver bolted on next Friday so wouldn't be able to use it until then anyway.

Chilly 55 degrees out this afternoon but I put another 6 miles on it to break it in. Full throttle in first, full in second, screaming in 3rd and by that time I was going 35 mph... wink Sucker has a right growly little roar to it, like a small dog with a big attitude. Brakes are "adequate", certainly not great but I guess that will help on dirt where you don't want to lock up the wheels too easily. Very different handling than the FZ 07, much lighter and quicker steering, but at low speeds it's a lot easier to keep stable and make very slow speed turns. Just feels like fun, mostly.

Do you think you could roll your moto up that ramp by yourself?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hope so. wink

Seriously, it shouldn't be that hard with a 278 pound bike. I just measured and the hitch would be about 16" off the ground. With a 6' ramp - 72" - if I remember my geometry that's a slope of 16/72 or 22% which is somewhat steep but manageable. The handlebars will only be some 5' off the ground when it's on the ramp.

But all that is kind of moot. The plan is to get a good head of steam up, hit that baby in a wheelie and set'er down right across the front wheel chocks.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope so. wink

Seriously, it shouldn't be that hard with a 278 pound bike. I just measured and the hitch would be about 16" off the ground. With a 6' ramp - 72" - if I remember my geometry that's a slope of 16/72 or 22% which is somewhat steep but manageable.

I see. I thought it was going up into the bed of your pickup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one I am looking at has the same length ramp, it's the only one that had lots of positive reviews about easy loading.

Just wish my RV sat lower....

I gotta say, I looked at that aluminum one and many of the reviews spoke of the ramp slipping off when loading, not sure why.

The one I have focused on if I skip the high end hydraulic style is this one...I like it's tie down options also...

https://bumpersuperstore.com/i-11604684-versa-haul-vh-55ro-single-motorcycle-carrier-with-ramp.html

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jim ,

An led headlight bulb is supposedly great - takes a tiny amount of power and is brighter.

I've read many folks on tw200.com say get a quality o-ring or x-ring chain right off the bat . The factory chains aren't high quality - they stretch fast which starts wearing on the sprockets fast . A quality chain will make the sprockets last much longer so that offsets the price of the chain .

A magnetic drain plug is another small doo-dad that helps keep the tiny metal particles where they belong .

Posted by Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cheapasser tip.

Amazon up your chain size and longer (428 122 links).

Wishlist it.

Watch for used (open box/damaged packaging) to show up.... Buy when cheap. Thank me.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.