Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by memtb
Small frame ( J Frame) S&W 38 Special! For the novice.....virtually infallible while under duress! memtb

If it's a house gun, why handicap them with a J-Frame, which is designed for comfortable all day concealed carry. In order to make it perfect for that purpose, it gives up massively in the shootability department, particularly for a novice. A K-Frame, especially with after-market grips, is far superior in the shootability department.

GB1

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The revolvers we have around the house are all K-frames with rubber Hogue monogrips, as they have a shorter reach to the trigger. A 7-shot 686 would be great also, but those weren't around when we got the K-frames.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
18" 20 GA. or a 410. that way it makes noise and if they miss no rounds going outside. might leave a big hole in the wall or the object intruding in the house, but the wall can be fixed.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With respect to those posts addressing the Ruger 10/22, Ruger PCC and Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge, consider a few things. The 10/22 is light and can be used one-handed if necessary. The PCC is much heavier and would require a young person to use two hands. It is not as easy to move around. The 20 gauge is about a half pound lighter than the PCC and easy to maneuver, but it has a bit of recoil for a person of small stature. Of course, that one requires two hands to cycle the action, which makes it slower. My son had no trouble with the 870 youth when he was about 12, but he was athletic and tall for his age.

With a 25 round magazine, the 10/22 would sling a lot of bullets with decent accuracy and with relative ease.

(BTW, when this pandemic thing is over, I need to send my PCC back to Ruger due to stovepipe issues. It is an early model.)

For a handgun, I would look at the S&W Shield .380 EZ loaded with something like Gold Dots.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
With respect to those posts addressing the Ruger 10/22, Ruger PCC and Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge, consider a few things. The 10/22 is light and can be used one-handed if necessary. The PCC is much heavier and would require a young person to use two hands. It is not as easy to move around. The 20 gauge is about a half pound lighter than the PCC and easy to maneuver, but it has a bit of recoil for a person of small stature. Of course, that one requires two hands to cycle the action, which makes it slower. My son had no trouble with the 870 youth when he was about 12, but he was athletic and tall for his age.

With a 25 round magazine, the 10/22 would sling a lot of bullets with decent accuracy and with relative ease.

(BTW, when this pandemic thing is over, I need to send my PCC back to Ruger due to stovepipe issues. It is an early model.)

For a handgun, I would look at the S&W Shield .380 EZ loaded with something like Gold Dots.

I agree with all of that.

Know the shooter you want to arm and determine what they're best with.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Cheyenne, I've seen some petite women folk around here have success with that S&W .380 EZ.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It may not be as accurate today as it was 30 years ago when a detective friend of mine said, " If someone breaks in on you during the day they are after your stuff. If they break in at night they are after you." I was living in a large city at the time so I outfitted my Glock 19 with a 30 rnd magazine, flashlight, and night sights for the bedside table. One night about 3am a kidney stone made me think I had been stabbed. Grabbed the G19 and tried to find someone to shoot........ :-)
Since then added a 12 ga riot gun under the bed with 00 buck. The little woman likes her S&W airweight 38 snubnose. Carries in her purse and shoots it well enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let the ladies in question try several different guns, and let them pick it.

I repeat, let them pick it

smile tell them in advance that you are going to let them choose it, but you will steer them away from guns that might be unreliable or of inadequate power.

And then...let them pick it smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would let the young lady shoot several and decide for herself what she is most comfortable with. I must have tried 5 or 6 38/357 revolvers with my wife. Familiarity was great but the heavy DA pull, poor hand strength combination was not conducive to accuracy, as in hitting the target rather close. Right now she is shooting a Ruger LC380, its not a glamorous gun, but the slide spring is weak enough for her to charge it herself, she hits at 21 feet with it. When the 'Rona is dissipated some I want to try her with the SW shield 380 EZ. That is my experience, again everyone is different and may want a long gun, shot gun, 22 rifle, 22 pistol, or revolver. You don't know until they try a few.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Model 60, .38 Special, DAO, 3 inch barrel

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/19/20.

Sam......

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Model 60, .38 Special, DAO, 3 inch barrel

Designed for concealed carry, thus gives up a great deal in the realm of shootability. Why would someone handicap themselves that way, needlessly?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm always amazed by the amount of men that insist their wives and daughters are deadly with DA, short barreled, J or K frames.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm always amazed by the amount of men that insist their wives and daughters are deadly with DA, short barreled, J or K frames.

Either that, or, when it's true, you can measure shot splits with a sundial. Use an electric target return to get the target to charge straight at them from 21 feet and they are good for one shot that goes wild. The good ones can get two shots off (and they stop when the target reaches them).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yea.

I'm sure there are some proficient women out there with DA snub nosed revolvers.

I've just never met one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife is pretty good with a revolver, but she is slow. (She married me.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For HD.....
Revolver: S&W R8
Pistol: Glock 19 or similar gun available from several manufacturers.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RJM
Having taught the NRA Person Protection Course for over 20 years to about 500 people, close to half women, I would say your choices are excellent. Last thing I would ever throw into your situation with young women, who are not trained gunfighters, is a semi auto anything...because if it malfunctions they will fall apart...the absolute simplest gun that will go bang every time till it is empty is what they need.

Women don't have to be trained gunfighters to find the motivation and discipline to manage a semi-auto under stress. Plenty of folks shoot IDPA to get their feet on the ground and do just fine. I think that the OP has probably got this team at least halfway down that particular road.

Originally Posted by RJM
This isn't going to be a gun fight...this is someone going to be breaking in to get a piece of azz and as soon as the first round goes off they will set the new USA record for the 100 yard dash... And if he stays around for another second there are five more where the first one came from....

I'd rather plan for the worst case: semi-rural area (per the OP), a home-invasion style event, intruders are multiple gang members who don't flinch at gunfire and who stick around even if they have to return fire to make it happen. Unless we're talking center hits with a 12-gauge, then you'll want the ability to make multiple hits per assailant without a reload.

Six rounds later, you're still a long way from the finish line.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AR15 or 22lr. My 10 yo shoots an AR15 but handles a 22lr 10x better. At 14yo - AR15 for sure.

No pistols for HD.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep it simple and keep it loaded. Revolver in 38 special and 20 gauge semi-auto loaded with buck shot. Point and shoot. Will suffice for any home invader situation.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Keep it simple and keep it loaded. Revolver in 38 special and 20 gauge semi-auto loaded with buck shot. Point and shoot. Will suffice for any home invader situation.

Point and shoot with a .38 special revolver?

I'd love to see that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,691
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.