Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a shot at a 2011 KLR650 that a good friend crashed for not much money, I am thinking less than 1,200.

To be original it needs a front fairing, side fairings, one crash bar, headlight, cluster, turn signals and a carb rebuild.

I was thinking it may be a decent and cheap ride with just a headlight and turn signals and use it for commuting and keep some mileage off my Ninja 1000.

I have no experience with dual sports, only moto-x bikes from 50 years ago.

What do ya'll think?

No need to buy a crashed bike IMO. Buy something cherry.

I went to look at it today, he still has all the plastic although it's all cracked but I could stitch back together with zip ties pretty easy.

When he told me what he wants for it just to get it out of his garage I would be stupid not to trailer it home and put it together. Hell, even if never saw pavement again it would be worth four times what I will pay for the bike, accessories and some armor to go with it.

Dave

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ol_mike
RIP Barry - cancer sucks ....

Sold my little classic motorcycle trailer this morning - Holsclaw - best trailer ever made .
A cool guy -77 years old collects them - drove all the way from North Carolina to pick it up , 765 miles . He has 6 of the models like i sold him today .

Had it for 25 years dragged it to Daytona bike week/track days/MX tracks as far as North Georgia .

Thanks man

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Windfall

Crashing was the reason that I got off my fast bikes and onto slower ones. I was having a great time on the forest roads up north on my full race Husqvarna until one day I was doing one of those all crossed up skid turns on a dirt corner when it turned into blacktop halfway through the turn. High sided it down the hill and into the woods. The bike was on top of me and there was warm blood I thought from a head wound running down my face. This must be the way it feels to die I remember thinking to myself. Nope, not yet. It was gear oil from when I punched a hole in the gear case when I'd hit a rock. Brought it home, fixed it and sold it for a third of what I'd bought it for.

Reminds me of the worst wreck we almost got into.

I was always the slowest rider of the group. Less daring, and much less skilled, so I was always at the back of the pack eating dust. But some days that is a good thing.

My two cousins thought the USFS roads were meant for flat track race practice. Around the corners they would have the bike nearly sideways with the front forks twisted to the lock, laid back at a 45 degree angle and the back tire spraying gravel all the way through the bend in the road.

The problem with that practice is half the corners are blind as the road bends around a ridge line, and you have no idea what is on the other side.

One day, as typical, I was bringing up the rear on a string of four bikes, and I see weird stuff starting to happen in front of me. I saw a brake light on the one bike that was so equipped, then I saw my buddies off the road and headed through the downhill into the forest, each a little slower than the one before.

I started downshifting and hit the brakes, down to about fifteen or twenty MPH, wondering what the hell I was coming up, expecting a logging truck, or a herd of cows.

But no, there stretched across the road piano wire tight was a 1/2 steel cable just a bit higher than the handle bars on my XR 250. Some jack ass out gathering next winter's wood supply had a snatch block anchored to a tree just above the road. One end of a 500 foot cable was tied to the back of his 4X4 pickup, which was headed down the road in the direction we had been traveling. The other end was tied to the butt of a 36 inch diameter doug fir which was being dragged up the hill to the road for easy sawing and loading.

I suspect the first rider, or possibly two in our procession might have stained his tighty whiteys that day.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a shot at a 2011 KLR650 that a good friend crashed for not much money, I am thinking less than 1,200.

To be original it needs a front fairing, side fairings, one crash bar, headlight, cluster, turn signals and a carb rebuild.

I was thinking it may be a decent and cheap ride with just a headlight and turn signals and use it for commuting and keep some mileage off my Ninja 1000.

I have no experience with dual sports, only moto-x bikes from 50 years ago.

What do ya'll think?

No need to buy a crashed bike IMO. Buy something cherry.

I went to look at it today, he still has all the plastic although it's all cracked but I could stitch back together with zip ties pretty easy.

When he told me what he wants for it just to get it out of his garage I would be stupid not to trailer it home and put it together. Hell, even if never saw pavement again it would be worth four times what I will pay for the bike, accessories and some armor to go with it.

Ok. My KLR250 was valued at IIRC $230 after totaling. New bars, a brake lever, a mirror bracket, twist the forks, and good to go. Traded it for an SUV that I sold for $3600. But, most chit doesn't work out so well. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gunzo
Sorry for flip flop, but can't fix it. I'll have to snap another.

But I couldn't resist showing my 2 wild ones. One now an Account executive & the other a Crime annalist for a larger southern city.

My how time flies, a 70's TM or RM 250 Suzuki.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks like a 74 TM250.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Windfall

Crashing was the reason that I got off my fast bikes and onto slower ones. I was having a great time on the forest roads up north on my full race Husqvarna until one day I was doing one of those all crossed up skid turns on a dirt corner when it turned into blacktop halfway through the turn. High sided it down the hill and into the woods. The bike was on top of me and there was warm blood I thought from a head wound running down my face. This must be the way it feels to die I remember thinking to myself. Nope, not yet. It was gear oil from when I punched a hole in the gear case when I'd hit a rock. Brought it home, fixed it and sold it for a third of what I'd bought it for.

Reminds me of the worst wreck we almost got into.

I was always the slowest rider of the group. Less daring, and much less skilled, so I was always at the back of the pack eating dust. But some days that is a good thing.

My two cousins thought the USFS roads were meant for flat track race practice. Around the corners they would have the bike nearly sideways with the front forks twisted to the lock, laid back at a 45 degree angle and the back tire spraying gravel all the way through the bend in the road.

The problem with that practice is half the corners are blind as the road bends around a ridge line, and you have no idea what is on the other side.

One day, as typical, I was bringing up the rear on a string of four bikes, and I see weird stuff starting to happen in front of me. I saw a brake light on the one bike that was so equipped, then I saw my buddies off the road and headed through the downhill into the forest, each a little slower than the one before.

I started downshifting and hit the brakes, down to about fifteen or twenty MPH, wondering what the hell I was coming up, expecting a logging truck, or a herd of cows.

But no, there stretched across the road piano wire tight was a 1/2 steel cable just a bit higher than the handle bars on my XR 250. Some jack ass out gathering next winter's wood supply had a snatch block anchored to a tree just above the road. One end of a 500 foot cable was tied to the back of his 4X4 pickup, which was headed down the road in the direction we had been traveling. The other end was tied to the butt of a 36 inch diameter doug fir which was being dragged up the hill to the road for easy sawing and loading.

I suspect the first rider, or possibly two in our procession might have stained his tighty whiteys that day.

Cool but scary story.....
I have a friend that almost lost his head. Literally almost lost it.
He was going up to LaPorte, Ca and hit ice, slid into barb wire fence.......not good.
He survived.....

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 59 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.