-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
History Channel is notorious for those many long commercial breaks. Last night it was so maddening that I too will now set the remaining episodes to record.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB4

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Did the documentary ding ole USG any for owning/renting slaves or did it just kinda gloss over or outright omit it? Maybe blamed it on his wife? That didn't work for Adam in the garden of Eden.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Leonardo DeCaprio in charge............... Really? This should be good. laugh

I watched Barkskins.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 16bore
When does the 3 part documentary about Lee start? I suppose I can tolerate a Yankee, carpetbaggers are another story.

Nah, I still don’t like Yankees.

Oh and don’t forget the stupidity on the Campfire doesn’t just stick to Leupold bashing and fast twist, Yankee hating is another sign of supreme intelligence.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by HitnRun
When does the 3 part documentary about Lee start? I suppose I can tolerate a Yankee, carpetbaggers are another story.

Nah, I still don’t like Yankees.

Oh and don’t forget the stupidity on the Campfire doesn’t just stick to Leupold bashing and fast twist, Yankee hating is another sign of supreme intelligence.

Are you feeling insecure about being a Yankee or are you just showing your anti-Confederacy bias?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's just illuminating Lincoln Derangement Syndrome.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the documentary ding ole USG any for owning/renting slaves or did it just kinda gloss over or outright omit it? Maybe blamed it on his wife? That didn't work for Adam in the garden of Eden.

Apparently he let the one slave he had go free instead of selling him. Lee didn’t have slaves either, his wife’s family did.

Don’t recall it being mentioned.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Television history specials are just that.

Television! The even greater opiate of the masses.

Read a book!!! Or six!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yes, and like every southern slave owners bad themed production it played up abuses and whipping of slaves which I don't doubt for a minute really happened to some but was no where near as common and often nor condoned by all slave owners as it's always implied, if for no other reason simply because a healthy, physically sound, working age slave was not only quite valuable but a critically needed asset.

Of course as so typical of cruel slave owner narrative productions early on in the first episode this photo of "Whipped Peter" was shown: [Linked Image] but what they omitted was this: Scars of a whipped slave (April 2, 1863, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA. Original caption: "Overseer Artayou Carrier whipped me. I was two months in bed sore from the whipping. My master come after I was whipped; he discharged the overseer. The very words of poor Peter, taken as he sat for his picture."

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Apparently he let the one slave he had go free instead of selling him. Lee didn’t have slaves either, his wife’s family did.

Don’t recall it being mentioned.

Not surprised. It does not fit the narrative of trying to make a guy from the 19th century a hero to a 21st century audience. IIRC, Grant owned one black man for a brief period before the Civil war and freed him. I don't think anyone knows the particulars of whether Grant bought the man himself or was given him by someone else, perhaps his father in law.

Grant's father was an abolitionist but Grant himself was ambivalent enough on the issue to marry into a slave holding family. Grant's wife had a few slaves which he worked/rented when he attempted to be a farmer which he failed at. They don't really know if she actually owned them herself or if her father was letting her "borrow" them while keeping ownership himself out of concern that Grant might free them or talk his wife into doing so. After the failed farming deal, Grant went to work for his father in law at his plantation where they of course worked slaves which I don't think were freed until after the war.

I don't hold any of that against Grant himself. It was a different time. Just don't care for the hypocritical and downright fictional portrayal of the big players of that era by what passes for history now days.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was really hoping that the History Channel was learning they should get back to history.

Episode I was awful IMO.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Leonardo DeCaprio in charge............... Really? This should be good. laugh

I watched Barkskins.

In fairness, he played one helluva Rick Dalton.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I haven't read most of the previous posts, nor do I intend to, but I thought it was pretty good. Prior to this, who even knew Grant existed prior to Vicksburg?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He had more than his share of demerits at West Point, Lee had zero.

I suppose it doesn’t matter though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by joken2

Yes, and like every southern slave owners bad themed production it played up abuses and whipping of slaves which I don't doubt for a minute really happened to some but was no where near as common and often nor condoned by all slave owners as it's always implied, if for no other reason simply because a healthy, physically sound, working age slave was not only quite valuable but a critically needed asset.

Of course as so typical of cruel slave owner narrative productions early on in the first episode this photo of "Whipped Peter" was shown: [Linked Image] but what they omitted was this: Scars of a whipped slave (April 2, 1863, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA. Original caption: "Overseer Artayou Carrier whipped me. I was two months in bed sore from the whipping. My master come after I was whipped; he discharged the overseer. The very words of poor Peter, taken as he sat for his picture."

This flic/series is going to be the Neil Young version I take it?

FJB & FJT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
got it set to record so i can bypass commercials

That'll considerably shorten your time spent watching it because commercials took up about as much time as the actual story content did.

On my TV at least, I was unable to record and skip the commercials. When I went to view the recording, it went to the commercial and you were unable to skip through it. mad

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I haven't read most of the previous posts, nor do I intend to, but I thought it was pretty good. Prior to this, who even knew Grant existed prior to Vicksburg?

I was hoping they'd talk more about Grant instead of diving right into the Civil War and Lincoln and and his in-laws.

Seems like they muddied the waters much too quickly and it steered the story away from the man.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Television history specials are just that.

Television! The even greater opiate of the masses.

Read a book!!! Or six!!!

No reason television can not be a good as books.

A lot of books are as much trash as is much of TV.

This History series is some of the best so far.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

A lot of books are as much trash as is much of TV.

Absolutely, no doubt. But I believe it’s those very publications that producers and screenwriters are using for their primary references. And vaguely at that.

One learns to deversify their research on any subject. Especially history.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
He had more than his share of demerits at West Point, Lee had zero.

I suppose it doesn’t matter though.

Send the History Channel folks a message, saying you want a series on Lee as well. They certainly can't deny that it would make for good ratings.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.